How important is game audio to you?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How important is game audio to you? (12 votes)

6 0%
4 0%
3 0%
5 - tinny TV speakers are good enough 17%
8 50%
10 - full home theater or fail 25%
2 0%
9 8%
1 - I mute the sound 0%
7 0%

Play Gears 5 during the opening waterfall drop. Listen overhead as Lara explores the jungle in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Hear the reverb and Doppler Effect when Bayek is in a cave in AC Origins. All in Dolby Atmos. Even DOOM Eternal with no Atmos sounds exquisite.

I have a 5.2.4 home theater. Graphics are secondary, great audio is primary. I almost cannot play a game if it has tinny compressed audio.

Great visuals are seen but great audio is heard and felt.

• 
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#1 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 11756 Posts

Very important. It is a huge part of immersion.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 2929 Posts

I don't mind TV speakers. So long as I can hear what's going on. Sound was never something that I could focus on enough to notice subtle details which is probably why I never know the many of the lyrics to most songs I listen to.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9255 Posts

Guess 9/10. . because the 10/10 seems bias to people who do not live in an apartment district.

Use headphones ATH-M40X, considered some of the best on the market for gaming. Mine are used religiously.

Amazing surround sound is most important for games with a horror vibe (aka Survival Horror), I need great audio for that genre. Sure being able to hear everything as clear as possible triggers your senses and reflexes on point, but in that genre; just makes that first playthrough like nothing else. Without those headphones may not be singing Resident Evil 2 Remakes praise as highly as I do.

Rarely give a care for impressiveness in other genres honestly, seen as a detriment to concentration. For me the likes of- mechanical depth, great level design and versatility are what I look for in a game. More than not wish to be challenged in a fun and enticing way.

However audio is not just immersion anyhow, plays such a fundamental role in many games. Audio quality is so freaking important to my experience, knowing what dropped in what direction, may it be a rain droplet or footstep makes a world of difference, just ask anyone who plays competitive multiplayer.

Even in Monster Hunter hearing a roar, blast, buff/de-buff can be the difference between destroying a body-part and an unfortunate cart.

Epal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Epal
Member since 2020 • 13 Posts

Very important.

Of course, whether the game is fun to play is the most important thing.

Although the audio of Supergiant Games is very good, but the gameplay is really not my appetite.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4649 Posts

Evolve has this generation’s best videogame audio.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7750 Posts

10/10. got a good home theater surround system and dang on some games like uncharted, last of us or tomb raider they make really good use of the of it, really helps a lot with immersion.. In Uncharted 4 during the boat chase/shootout really felt Naughty Dogs sound engineer do their work, bullets just flying everywhere from one of the speakers accompanying the sound of rain and rough seas. Amazing.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2471 Posts

Not that important. I mean, not like you, who almost can't play a game if it has tiny, compressed audio. I also can't tell the difference between DTS and uncompressed formats like DTS-HD Master Audio and TrueHD. Or MP3 music at 320 kbps versus FLAC.

I still care about sound, though. Spent about 1200 dollars on my sound system and 323 dollars on my headphones and amp/DAC.

Most developers suck at audio anyway. Seems like most don't even have real sound mixing departments. When I played RE3 a while back, there were more than a few times I could barely understand the dialogue in 5.1 (or was it Atmos?). Especially Nikolai, who sounded badly recorded. There are SO MANY games in which the dialogue is difficult to hear, which I think is one of the reasons games typically have subtitles on by default. The devs are just bad at it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3187 Posts

Very important, Would love a full set up but don't have the $.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 459 Posts

It doesn't have to be great audio but if it's bad audio it will ruin the game for me. I can't play Valkyrie Chronicles at all cause the audio is trash.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41918 Posts

I use my headphones all the time so I'll go with 6.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 15743 Posts

I voted 8. I like good audio in games. Unfortunately i cant have a nice 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system since i live in an apartment. But i have solid, if not spectacular, headphones.

Its great to see both MS and sony have given more resources to audio in their next consoles and hopefully devs make good use of it. I'm also hoping that they allow you to connect your headphones to the controller and get the game audio that way.