How have your tastes in games changed from when you were a kid up until now?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

For me, my tastes are generally the same to be honest. Always have loved JRPG's & Platformers. Anything Nintendo is pretty good, etc.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Despite my first game being a 2D Platformer use to solely play Dancing/ Rhythm games at the arcades until I got an interest in a new Tekken game that was getting a lot of attention. Which peeked my interest into Fighters as a whole, which lead to Hack n' Slashers and Beat em' Ups. Or Action games as some prefer to term them_

And then thanks to the PlayStation 2 a lot of other genres opened up to me; Makai Senki Disgaea gave me my first taste of TB RPG/ games with a story, as well as Survival Horror also becoming a big enjoyment for me. Which also encouraged me to appreciate the retro platforms we had with rich libraries.

Handhelds with Monster Hunter and CastleVania soon followed.

Still play the above genres/ games. However feel I experiment heavily more now than when I started.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I guess I have no interest to go back to 2D side scrolling games but that's all we had back in the day once PS1 came out I never had the desire to go back.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

My tastes in games have changed as recently as the last few years... I used to love big open-world games, but I've nearly completely turned off them nowadays. I just find most of them are too much of a time sink and filled with boring filler, and I just don't get the enjoyment anymore (like I've said before, Cyberpunk should easily be my most wanted game ever but I just can't get excited for it).

I get just as much enjoyment nowadays out of a 2-3 hour Indie game like Inside or FAR: Lone Sails, then a 60+ hour open world game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Not really no. As a kid i was exposed to many different types of games and, if anything, my taste has widened since then.

the only games i tend not to play at all are sports games (except for motor racing). i just have no interest in them at all. i gave them a go a long time ago but not for me.

other than that: racing (sim and arcade), platformers, FPSs, RTS, TBS, RPGs of all varieties, linear, open world, cartoon visuals, realistic visuals, AAA (though hasnt impressed me in a while), AA, Indie....whatever. i will generally give them a go.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I didn't like rpgs at all until around my early or mid 20's. Now there are a few that I consider among my favorite games of all-time.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 277 Posts

I don't think my tastes have really changed that much , if anything i'm actually encouraging for more games to be simple to pick up and hard too master... My interests games have just more recently become more open towards genres wouldn't have think to touch with a 300 pole like Simulation and sports

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I used to play super Mario bros and now I play super smash bros and splatoon