How does Nintendo top Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Ultimate?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

They’re both massively successful games with so much content. Not sure what a follow up to these games would be like. What do you think, GD? Where does Nintendo go from here at this point?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15992 Posts

We're not going to see another Mario Kart for a while. Nintendo intends to release more courses for Mario Kart 8. They're going to continue to milk it until the sales slow down (which hasn't happened yet). I think the same is true for Super Smash Bros. Nintendo isn't going to release a new one and cannibalize their own sales. I would guess it'll be another 2 years until we get a confirmation, probably 3 years until it gets released.

It's unfortunate, but that's life. Nintendo is not going to overlap the sales from DLC and the sales of a new game. They want to ride it as long as they are able to. I hope that makes sense. :P

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

I have been wondering that question myself for a while.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Sales-wise?

Lightning in a bottle logic, it either happens or it doesn't. Kart and Smash games always sold crazy but Kart 8 is certainly peak right now.

Don't think Nintendo predicted Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to end up the way it did. 52 million copies right across Switch and WiiU for Mario Kart 8. Probably higher as the search I found was from 2021.

On the other side we have to keep in mind Wii Sports is still number one when it comes to Nintendo game sales. Even if majority had it as a bundle experience for Wii, this was not the same worldwide, and its sequel attempts never match the sales of the original Wii Sports. Interest dwindles or heightens from generation to generation.

And then if we look at Tetris. Well Tetris sales> almost every video game that's not a live-service model.

I'm also just happy many played the last Animal Crossing as a long time AC fan.

My favorite chill-out game_

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

With ray tracing re-releases for their next system, which will use a new GPU Nvidia custom made that's designed to run fully path traced games really well (well....really well for a console that costs 500 bucks). Nintendo wont even need to make a new kart or smash. Its just Mario Kark 8 Deluxe RT and Smash Bros RT. And BOTW RT and Odyssey RT and so on. Think of all RT remakes they can do! The original Nes mario platformer...but this time with Ray Tracing!!!

^^^^really really unlikely to actually happen^^^^

Integrating some sort of Chat GPT type functionality into the next animal crossing to flesh out the characters could be very interesting though.