How do you hope the the next Zelda game will be like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

(This excludes the DS games because seriously... who cares about the DS Zelda games.)

What made Zelda great was it's open world feel. The fact that you were defeating bosses in order to discover completely new parts of the Zelda Universe.

I am a little late to the game because I just finished Skyward Sword and I really did love the controls. I did not however, like the fact that they made you return to old parts of the game in order to further the story line. Zelda is great because it makes you look forward to revealing completely new parts of the Zelda Universe. Not simply returning to old parts of the world and completing quests. I liked how they added more items to the game though and I can't find the article right now but one of the Zelda developers said they will be striving for a more Skyrim feel. Which will be awesome.

I really hope it is open world. Like Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword kind of pissed me off. They made you fight the Imprisioned 3 TIMES!! Ridiculous.

Anyway, did you like how Skyward Sword was in that it made you return to old parts of the land in order to uncover slightly new areas? I hope they abandon that and make the player uncover completely new areas of the world.

How would you like to see Zelda move forward?

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
First person shooter
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
First person shooterGranny_Spanked
Correction. Modern Military First person Shooter with Multiplayer. It can be named...."Call of Hyrule"
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well, i can give design elements that i like and ones i hope nintendo avoids. for instance, i hope nintendo stays away from the cut-scene route that they were starting to feel out in skyward sword and instead looks to how they developed themes in dungeons in OoT or even the world building structure in twilight princess (most people don't like the ordon village part at the beginning, but i love how it uses charming little tasks to build up the simple village life). also, i'd like to see nintendo really work to take the reigns off as much as possible. like i love the great sea in wind waker and i would definitely be for loosening up the ordering of dungeons and other big goals.

however, nintendo knows that a good zelda game isn't just a frankenstein-like mash up of design elements from previous games. everything has to fit together just right to give the game purpose.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Played with the Dualshock 4
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
large ambitious
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Ocarina of Time, now I don't mean neccesarily a sequel, or realistic art style, or darker (Twilight Princess and Majoras Mask fill that, though more is never bad) but wheneve I play I just feel like im on the crest of a grand adventure. I always felt like Ocarina of Time would make a great movie, or even anime series to wathc (I know there is a manga, havent read it, but if its like the Majora one its very small and missing things). I dont know if its nostalgia, but there is just a feeling I get I dont get when playing Skyward Sword ( Im enjoying so far, just doesnt have...somehting I dont know what it is). I dont know why, but Ocarina just has somthing I feel like the series needs...then again it could just be nostalgia, idk.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Would love to see another Zelda that is as different, dark and creepy as Majora's Mask was.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts
I disagree about the backtracking...partially. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, the Oracle games and LttP all featured backtracking in a way that everyone loved - revisiting areas in different time periods to see how they've changed. Majora's Mask in particular showed that Zelda games don't need to be huge or expansive in order to be excellent. They just need to be well designed.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The biggest thing for me is I don't want motion controls to make a return. It ruined SS imo.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Firstly, kill the formula.  Find the boomerang to find the boots to find the fire arrows to find....ugh.  Introduce some unpredictability.  Make me guess and surprise me for once and make the world approachable in more ways than one.  Maybe dungeons that could be tackled in whatever order would be nice, as well as secret ones that can only be found by accident.  Or some sidequests that deviate off of the main plot but still affect it.  Give incentive to go and explore.  It should be more than just the story and dungeons......make it a living world.

Secondly, start the game off with a bang.  Get me into the action within the first five minutes like AlttP did.  This probably won't happen because Nintendo doesn't want to overwhelm people with Zelda's incredibly complex controls and and insanely steep learning curve straight-up, so we're probably going to wake up in yet another village and it'll take 3 hours of dumb, mundane errands and sheep herding before we're even given a wood sword to play with a straw figure, but I can hope (as I always do) that this time it'll be different.  Zelda NEEDS to start off much quicker to catch and retain my interest.

Thirdly, make it vast, and not just the dungeons.  It'd be amazing to have an enormous overworld; a castle with an outerlying town to explore with bustling streets and activity, deep forests, deserts, etc.  It strikes me that Zelda has lost a lot of the feeling of adventure and scope with each new entry.  More like it's become all about the dungeons and bosses.  Which is fine, but a large expanse would be great as well.  Riding Epona over a moat into a castle courtyard with towers looming in the sunset ahead could be incredible.

On the graphics side of things, I'd be more than fine with this:

That's what a true next-gen Zelda looks like to me, and even that's from a tech demo years old.  Technically proficient but at the same time maintaining that classic Zelda aesthetic.  Though I believe Nintendo will, once again, take a very conservative visual approach and we are going to see something that looks marginally better than SS and TP.

Finally, and this is easily the most vital: Nintendo has to stop treating me like I hold the cognitive ability of a 5 year old.  Let me play without interference and hand-holding.  They also need to reintroduce efficiency and speed into the gameplay (removal of repeated/unskippable text, a better and more accessible inventory system, etc).  Zelda as it stands desperately feels like it needs a complete overhaul of many of the underlying mechanics that have defined it for so long now.  While certainly functional, they are beginning to feel slow, cumbersome, and antiquated.  People always love to point out that Nintendo introduces new things in each iteration, and while this is true, they are still overlayed on a foundation that has been with the franchise for decades.  Everything needs to be stripped to the core and rebuilt from the ground up at this point--an RE4 scale facelift.

One more thing....no lazy shit like repeated bosses.

That's about it, and taking all those into account my faith that Nintendo can do any of those amounts to pretty much zero.  It will be just as it has been in the past: essentially the same damn game, with a few new novel mechanics placed on top of a long ago tired formula.  And I have no doubts that it'll garner 10s pretty much across the board.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i would like to see Zelda finally put out.. Link deserves it

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I would like to see a spin-off where you could play as Ganon and pillage and corrupt Hyrule and kidnap Zelda. ;)

ganonToP-thumb-418x284.jpg

Or something involving Skull Kid, transformation in different LoZ races and time manipulation again.

AccursedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AccursedGamer
Member since 2013 • 102 Posts
I hope for something more deep and dramatic. Something that will touch my heart like with OoT and MM. Also, more focus on the magical songs you could play with an instrument.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

graphics that are more in line with the "realistic" feel, but very fantasy and beautiful in style.

EXPLORATION AND SECRETS.  this doesn't mean I want a world the size of an Elder Scrolls world, or anything liek that.  Just do what they did in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and take it to the next level.  Give me plenty of meaningful things to do and find.  People to help, stories to unveil, and so on.  Mix up the dungeon feel and maybe some races.  Not all dungeons have to be about water, fire, and so on.  give us something a bit strange like Ocarina of Time's Shadow temple.  And not all items need to be found in temples.  And not all bosses need to be in temples (TP actually did this best with horseback fights and some other stuff).  

Basically I want Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask mish mashed and then overhauled like mad.

PS - stop holding my hand and giving me a boring as hell first 4 hour tutorial.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I hope for something more deep and dramatic. Something that will touch my heart like with OoT and MM. Also, more focus on the magical songs you could play with an instrument.AccursedGamer

Yeah I love the songs in OoT, and even though they were not as good in others, MM and WW were great too.  TP almost ditched it and SS really did.  

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Something like Majora's Mask.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Firstly, kill the formula. Find the boomerang to find the boots to find the fire arrows to find....ugh. Introduce some unpredictability. Make me guess and surprise me for once and make the world approachable in more ways than one. Maybe dungeons that could be tackled in whatever order would be nice, as well as secret ones that can only be found by accident. Or some sidequests that deviate off of the main plot but still affect it. Give incentive to go and explore. It should be more than just the story and dungeons......make it a living world.

Secondly, start the game off with a bang. Get me into the action within the first five minutes like AlttP did. This probably won't happen because Nintendo doesn't want to overwhelm people with Zelda's incredibly complex controls and and insanely steep learning curve straight-up, so we're probably going to wake up in yet another village and it'll take 3 hours of dumb, mundane errands and sheep herding before we're even given a wood sword to play with a straw figure, but I can hope (as I always do) that this time it'll be different. Zelda NEEDS to start off much quicker to catch and retain my interest.

Thirdly, make it vast, and not just the dungeons. It'd be amazing to have an enormous overworld; a castle with an outerlying town to explore with bustling streets and activity, deep forests, deserts, etc. It strikes me that Zelda has lost a lot of the feeling of adventure and scope with each new entry. More like it's become all about the dungeons and bosses. Which is fine, but a large expanse would be great as well. Riding Epona over a moat into a castle courtyard with towers looming in the sunset ahead could be incredible.

On the graphics side of things, I'd be more than fine with this:

That's what a true next-gen Zelda looks like to me, and even that's from a tech demo years old. Technically proficient but at the same time maintaining that classic Zelda aesthetic. Though I believe Nintendo will, once again, take a very conservative visual approach and we are going to see something that looks marginally better than SS and TP.

Finally, and this is easily the most vital: Nintendo has to stop treating me like I hold the cognitive ability of a 5 year old. Let me play without interference and hand-holding. They also need to reintroduce efficiency and speed into the gameplay (removal of repeated/unskippable text, a better and more accessible inventory system, etc). Zelda as it stands desperately feels like it needs a complete overhaul of many of the underlying mechanics that have defined it for so long now. While certainly functional, they are beginning to feel slow, cumbersome, and antiquated. People always love to point out that Nintendo introduces new things in each iteration, and while this is true, they are still overlayed on a foundation that has been with the franchise for decades. Everything needs to be stripped to the core and rebuilt from the ground up at this point--an RE4 scale facelift.

One more thing....no lazy shit like repeated bosses.

That's about it, and taking all those into account my faith that Nintendo can do any of those amounts to pretty much zero. It will be just as it has been in the past: essentially the same damn game, with a few new novel mechanics placed on top of a long ago tired formula. And I have no doubts that it'll garner 10s pretty much across the board.

MirkoS77

I agree with chaning the formula somewhat. Not so much with the find the boomerang to find the boots etc., but completing dungeons in whatever order would be cool. That would open up the possibility for multiple storylines. Where the player could choose how he wants to tackle the game. Kind of like Mass Effect. Though, in order to do that would require a much greater undertaking than any of the Zelda games have had before. That would be awesome.

Regarding game opening personally, I don't mind a gradual indtroduction. Especially with Zelda as I love just exploring every nook and cranny. I don't have much to say in response to that.

I totally agree with your third point. When one of the developors said they were going to take some inspiration from Skyrim that is exactly how I hope it will be. A vast world with intricate towns to explore. People to talk to. Sideline story quests maybe some factions to belong to. The dungeons and bosses have become very recycled and this would be the best way to add to that.

I don't care so much about the graphics. I just don't want it to be dark because every game is dark nowadays.

I also agree with the hand holding. I hated how Fi kept interrupting with the most asinine suggestions or advice, things like that. The unskippable text is annoying but I don't think that will change. I just hope they get rid of the annoying side kick advice every 10 seconds. Basically ruining the puzzles.

A lot of what you said would really help the Zelda franchise if they just implemented it and I agree completely. I am just hoping they truely move toward a more Elder Scrolls like feel. Less focus on boss fights and dungeons and more on how the world makes you feel, which is what Zelda tries to be but I don't thinkt hey have captured it in the last couple games.

mdc1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mdc1983
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

* No motion controls.

* Quality optional dungeons/missions

* Dungeons that aren't in a cave/temple/castle

* A sense that all of Hyrule is involved in the conflict, rather than it just being Link plus a few fairies vs the world

* Riding some cool mounts besides horses and birds. Put link on the back of a dragon or a shark or something!:o

I also agree that it would be cool to have a game from Ganon's POV one day

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The DS Zelda games are great.

Anyways, I hope the next console Zelda is much darker, in the same vein as Majora's Mask.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts
Link needs to talk and the game need to be extremely gory! I'd love to see a final scene where princess zelda is beheaded, imagine the shockwaves it would cause around the gaming world!!
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Link needs to talk and the game need to be extremely gory! I'd love to see a final scene where princess zelda is beheaded, imagine the shockwaves it would cause around the gaming world!!I-AM-N00B

Sincerely hope you're being sarcastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

As far away from Skyward Sword as possible. 

Twilight Princess was nearly a masterpiece, so they need to go all out like that again. 

And, Zelda needs to be dark.  It NEEDS to be dark. 

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Soundtrack made by Two Steps From Hell (ex Archangel, Flameheart).

Voice Acting for all characters, but a foreign, unknown language, made up specifically for the Legend of Zelda world.

Good graphics that take advantage of the WiiU hardware.

A story centered completely around Dark Link, with a all new design - a twisted, evil being with his skin engulfed in fire, in the shape of Link. I want this story to explain exactly what he is. As for what he wants - Hell on Hyrule. Gannon could fit well in a unprecedented role. He doesn't want to obliterate the world in the flames of Hell, but Dark Link does. Who knows were this plot could take him.

All in all, this has ben my dream Zelda game for months now. I'd give almost anything to see a epic Zelda game with a plot focused on Dark Link.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

As far away from Skyward Sword as possible. 

Twilight Princess was nearly a masterpiece, so they need to go all out like that again. 

And, Zelda needs to be dark.  It NEEDS to be dark. 

Chozofication

Nope.

Collarcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Collarcat
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts
I hope the next Zelda will be more fast paced and enjoyable to play. Skyward Sword had so many interruptions with Fi giving pointless instructions and annoying cut scenes. I felt like I could not walk more than 10 steps before something stopped me.