How do you feel about double jumping in platformers?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you feel about double jumping in platformers? (27 votes)

I like it 78%
I don't like it 4%
Indifferent 19%

I don't really have anything against double jumping in platformers, but I recently realized all my favorites of the genre don't have it, those being Mario, Prince of Persia, and Tomb Raider (Legend Trilogy). I don't think the feature necessarily detracts from a game, but when the ability is present controls tend to feel less responsive, and level design doesn't seem as well thought out. I kind of wonder if this ability gets put in as a crutch when developers didn't necessarily nail the gap distances and control calibration.

Anyway, how do you feel about it? Also, what are some of your favorite platformers?

• 
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Nothing against it as long as it's implemented well. I liked using it in Metroid prime for example (not a platform but had a lot of platforming in it).

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

@osan0: Might not technically be a platformer, but Metroid Prime does have great platforming in it. And yeah, the double jump feels well implemented, and it allows access to new areas once obtained.

I think that sets Metroid's double jump apart from a lot of games. It feels intentional. The world is designed to open up when you get it. But when the ability is there from the get go with no explanation, it just kinda feels cheep.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

I like it but it does make some platforming a bit on the b*llsh*t side due to developers feeling like they need to make the platforms a bit harder to reach or needing more trial and error due to more aggressive obstacles.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Sliding, double jump and airdash should be in every platformer. FIght me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34594 Posts

I like it as long as the game is designed for it. Putting a double jump in some games would destroy them, removing double jump from some games would destroy them.

Same with sprinting, teleporting, dashing, sliding, flying, swimming, whatever.

Some of my favourite platformers:
Mario, Donkey Kong, Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Dead Cells, Inside, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Super Metroid, Mega Man, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Psychonauts.

arsomartinera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By arsomartinera
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

According to The rise of the jump and An Ode To Double Jump, the earliest known title to feature it (double jumping) was Dragon Buster, originally released in 1985 as an arcade title and later ported to Famicom (what most of the world refers to as NES), MSX and Sharp X68000.

A remake/sequel was later published for Playstation under the name Dragon Valor.

For me, as well as it fits into the platform, it's good ^^

https://appsync.biz/dafont/ https://showbox.bio/ https://www.oovoo.onl/adam4adam/

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Hmm...usually, I expect it to be there if I'm playing a platformer tbh. So I voted "I like it."

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Love it. That second jump is just fun, especially if it is directional (i.e. jump forward, double-jump left or right).

Makes you feel badass. Hardcore parkour!!!