How do you do it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FTemplar
Member since 2003 • 989 Posts

How do you keep up with all the great games coming out? I certainly can't. I'm mainly talking about those who work a full-time job and/or have a girlfriend or boyfriend that they have to spend time with on top of trying to find some time to play. I've been building up a backlog of games I have to play... it's ridiculous.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The simple fact is... I don't. :P I have to pick and choose what I want to play, and sometimes leave behind things I want. On the other hand, I still get to play the older games... for example, I just picked up Okami on the Wii the other day.
matenmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#4 matenmoe
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

Honestly, I don't. I quit buying after the PS2. So far-according to a lot of the threads I've seen here- I haven't been missing much. You got a BF/GF and a full time job then spend the money and time on them- that is the real functionin life anyway. As far as keeping up goes-like people's selection in music-YOU decide how far you 'absolutely have to go'. I have an accumulation of nearly 20 years of games and their platforms to play with. Since when is something like Super Mario 3 a bad thing just because it isn't a 'new' thing? Who Says? With all that backlog of games (which I know beyond a doubt are my favorites) I have plenty to keep me entertained when i'm not on a date or at work. No lack of variety there, either-I mean 20 years of stuff to discover the fun in all over again. Besides- a significant other is the best reason to dump all the video game 'stuff' and live your life.

Just some things to consider, anyway.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I don't even try. It would be impossible.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
It's hard. I usually pick and choose a lot. But, there's nothing saying that you have to play a game the week it's released. A lot of times I'll wait for a game to hit 20 or 30 dollars and save it for a time when there's nothing good coming out.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
...pick the games I know are gonna be good, complete them and then buy a new one...simple, and if people get in my way I act like some sort of Medieval Hermit and lock myself in my room...only come out for food, Lol. if I miss any good games I buy them later when they drop in price.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

How do you keep up with all the great games coming out? I certainly can't. I'm mainly talking about those who work a full-time job and/or have a girlfriend or boyfriend that they have to spend time with on top of trying to find some time to play. I've been building up a backlog of games I have to play... it's ridiculous.

FTemplar
I don't play any of the new games.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

...Rent them?

It's all about prioritization. Do you want to play video games all day and go broke? Do you want to play them not all day and have a job? Do you want to have somebody to love in your life? Are you going to school?

You have to decide what you want to do with the time you have on a day to day basis. Are there a TON of good games out there? Of course. Are you going to play each and every one? Probably not. Follow a console you enjoy, find a few games for it that you personally love, and keep your eye out for the games that you must own. Rent them first if you just wanna try them out. Or buy used and return it to Gamestop within a week. :D

allie2590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 allie2590
Member since 2009 • 283 Posts

I don't. I haven't got the money or the time. I generally play the previous generation to save money. :lol:

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
No such thing as a must-have game. Just buy what caters to your tastes.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 muthsera666

I don't. I haven't got the money or the time. I generally play the previous generation to save money. :lol:

allie2590
I'm in the same boat.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#13 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

I own $4,000+ in games, and have a backlog of 73 games. In short, I don't ever catch up. But that has taught me to be more picky when buying games.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

allie2590

Same.And when I do play new games they are bought used and when they are about 30 bucks.So in other words,I don't keep up.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

i just dont buy alot of games, only like 2 or 3 a year and i only play 2 - 3 times a week usually only for 3 - 4 hours at a time

Edit: i pick and choose looking for a game i think i would really like. Last game i bought was Fallout 3 the next Game i will get will probably be the Godfather 2 and next after that will be Red Dead Redemtion, and that will most likely be it for the year, unless something really appealing to me comes out.

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#16 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts

just do your best. i honestly only sleep about four to five hours a night to keep up with it all. one day i might finally just hang up the controller, or at least cut way back. but until then i just keep pushing every game i get.

matenmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17 matenmoe
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

[QUOTE="allie2590"]

muthsera666

I'm in the same boat.

HA! yuppers-me three. Wife / kids / bills...

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 muthsera666

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="allie2590"]

matenmoe

I'm in the same boat.

HA! yuppers-me three. Wife / kids / bills...

I'm just a broke college student, lol. One who is about to graduate and is trying to find a job somewhere... (I hope your family is doing well, though.)
cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

Well if your rich then it would be bo problem but if your not rich and are just casual then you need to pick your games carefully.

Research them on Gamespot and see if your friends are getting it. I know its tempting to get loads of them but in these hard

times with the credit crunch then your money that can be spent on games are limited. Chosse carefully and dont choose ones

that were out a year ago because the 2009 line-up looks really promising and well worth to spend over £200 pounds on.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
By being unemployed, it rocks.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#21 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts

allie2590
Same here. I've been sticking with my PS2.
kleaneasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kleaneasy
Member since 2009 • 271 Posts

FTemplar
You dont, you just get picky and learn to avoid the games you realise you probably wont be that bothered with anyway no matter how much everyone hypes over them
moha1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 moha1992
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
well i think that every one of us have an idea about game personaly i hate games i spend all my time in buildin programe , flash , destroy my brother save game and at last i want that you will be carful because tlking about authers is not ligale and it is ridiculous.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44320 Posts

Like others have said I pick and choose which games to buy and when I can play them. I'll never get around to being able to play all the games I would like to but that's ok.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't. I have a pile of about 15 games to play (most of them RPGs), but I'm just a slow mover in terms of gaming. I know people have a lot more to play than me, but I'm still overwhelmed. Doesn't help when I plan on buying even more games when I come home to visit next month.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#26 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'm not really having problems with games comming out now. There isn't anything comming in the near future that i'm looking forward to.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 muthsera666

I know what you mean. I just got six more games today at f.y.e.:

• BeatDown: Fists of Vengeance
  • Dead to Rights II
  • Hunter the Reckoning: Redeemer
  • Mafia
  • Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
  • X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Each of them were about $3.20 and brand-new. I love shopping last-gen.

hammeredmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hammeredmonkey
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The best thing to do is watch for reviews. If one game is better then the other, then go for the better game. Then again, it also depends on what you like
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
I...I just build up a backlog. lol I have so many games to play its not even funny. Even from last gen (Odin Sphere, Shadow Of The Collossus, Contra Shattered Soldier...)
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts

I own $4,000+ in games, and have a backlog of 73 games. In short, I don't ever catch up. But that has taught me to be more picky when buying games.

Gammit10
This...THIS IS MADNESS! lol
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#31 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Being poor simplifies things a lot.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Atm I'm on a tight budget, makes me a sad panada with games like RE5 out (glad though my friend has it).

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I think after you've gamed for a while, it becomes painfully clear that many games simply aren't worth your time (either just being bad or just not your style), especially at full price. I had to quit posting on forums and slow down with the amount of gaming news months ago because I constantly felt hassled to get the latest and greatest. But looking back on the current generation, I realized that there have been only three games that I loved so much that they were justified as a day one purchase- LIttleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, and Grand Theft Auto 4. There have been other games I've enjoyed, such as Fallout 3, but I already own Morrowind and it's a similar experience. I could've just played Morrowind until Fallout 3 dropped in price when I needed my open-world RPG fix. Once you've got a great experience in a particular genre, the only reason to pick up a newer game from that genre is either because it completely overhauls that gameplay style for the better or for the story. Speaking of which, for all this talk about how everything needs online multiplayer, I've never understood why some gamers will only buy games for the multiplayer, as if the single-player campaign is completely irrelevant. If the story is fantastic and the world immersive, isn't that enough reason to play it again? Many multiplayer gamers just feel the same. I do think sticking a generation behind is a fantastic way to save money and allow yourself to only play the cream of the crop. I wish I had. So the truth is, you can't keep up....it's fruitless to try, so you might as well start thinking about shopping as smartly as you can. If you can't get, say, $2/per gaming hour mileage, then the game wasn't worth your time at that cost.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I've got a wife, kids, job, house to take care of, so games are way back in the pack. I just make time when I have it. I've had RE5 now for over a week and haven't started it :( hopefully tomorrow night.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

Easy for me, since my GF works and is a gamer, with a PS3.

When she's working, I'm playing. I've been getting a lot of RE5 time in while she's been working, currently at 5-3 and started Wednesday.

I also need to finish MadWorld and get farther in my Empire: Total War campaign.

I should be going to her place next week with Killzone 2 :). Good to be 18 with my own car.

arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

FTemplar

I am facing the same situation. What I do is simply ignore games that I don't play. much. For example, I play mainly RTS, RPG and Simulation games. That's why I didn't bother to buy Crysis, Crysis Warhead (played these games later at my friend place) and Dead Space, BiA - Hells Highway (Never played) in recent times.

On the other hand my second criteria is quantity of unplayed games (I have a full time job), If I see I have many unplayed games then I just skip that games for the time being. I finish games at my hand first, then I go for next game. In the meantime the price surely goes down. :) Example: Didn't buy DoW2, E:TW.

Also I have changed my mentality to some extent. Now I don't get frustrated when my friends or others (who has a part time job) play more than 40+ hours a week and finish new games in 2-3 days. I know I have to give time to my girlfriend and parents as well as my work. So I keep telling myself - 'change your mind and play less or you'll be in deep **** ;)

Another fact is I love playing old games more than new games. So it really never bothered me much.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I don't and not every "must have" game appeals to me. By the way not playing RPG's will help you get through more games and that's good for me cause I don't play too many RPG's

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Simple, I don't. I buy games a lot, but these days I didn't have too much time to play'em, I will waste lost time this weekend though...