How do you decide if a game is worth your money?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

For me a game needs to have a fun gameplay with lots of things to do and a vast open world. A compelling story and characters are also a plus.

What about you guys?

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
If I think I'm going to enjoy it and the reviews back up my thoughts, I'll probably buy it. Also, I usually won't buy games new (GTA5 was an exception) but wait until the prices drop.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

For me a game needs to have a fun gameplay with lots of things to do and a vast open world. A compelling story and characters are also a plus.

What about you guys?

Tqricardinho

Hmm, if you mean how i decide if a game is worth buying , i usally decide if it appeals to me, i dont care about reviews, hype or anything else, after all its my money and time thats going to be spend on it. 

Sometimes i might buy a game or two that has gotten bad reviews because they are usally good , particular if you read american gaming sites, they tend to be very liberal in their views so they usally hit spot on with games they hate.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I go by length, story and content.

Usually if a game is over 20 hours long, its worth my money like the GTA gamess and mass effect series.

Multiplayer comes last and plays a small role in the purchase but its always nice to know that a game has a decent online experience once the main game is over with.

matutee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 matutee
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would say watch a few reviews, and try and borrow or rent it before you buy it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

I would say watch a few reviews, and try and borrow or rent it before you buy it. matutee

Yep that's what I do. 

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts
In the past I'd window shop when I got bored with my library and pick a game with little to no research, it was hit or miss which led to disappointment more often than not. Now a days I use this wonderful tool called the internet to do my homework about any potential games I'm interested in, plus I tend to know what I like after having been gaming for many years now. Needless to say I now very rarely make mistakes when purchasing games, and get a lot of value out of the games I pick.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
If i am considering to buy DLC, replay it or just play it for dousins of hours.
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I normally watch videos on it, read the previews and then read reviews on it. It all depends on who reviews it though.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Lots of research on my part and user feedback. Every once in a while i will give a game i dont find a particular interest in (but other do) a chance. The only games i buy on day one are releases i am totally interested in and looking forward to. Everything else i buy when the price drop or used.

Markucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Markucio
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I think it's subjective. I don't have a particular type of game I enjoy playing (though I tend to steer clear of RTS, as I'm terrible at it :P).

Personal favourites include Mass Effect, FIFA and GTA. I also enjoyed things like Remember Me, so really its anything that looks interesting to me, though I prefer things with a long run time or replayability.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i don't really have a formula. i might like the developer, the gameplay videos, the idea behind the game (harder to know before playing though), or it might just have a lot of positive buzz around it (this usually has to be in combination with a lower price though).
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
It's a complicated thing that I'll just have to simplify down to, "I'll buy a game if I see something of interest." A game I purchase doesn't need to have great controls, a compelling story, a vast open world, top of the line graphics, etc. It just needs to have something that I might find interesting, or something that the community finds interesting which means that I'll buy games that I'm personally not interested in just to see what all the buzz is about. For example, I bought 999. I wasn't really interested in it, but f*cking Blabadon wouldn't shut the f*ck up about it, so I bought it for $15 (price is another determining factor for purchases). I didn't like the 'game' thought it was a very very boring beginning and melodramatic, but I can appreciate the ways the story used both screens to its advantage. I bought MGS legacy collection because my friend is obsessed with the series. I didn't really have an interest in them before him talking the series up, but I picked up the series. They're pretty cool games even though they can be extremely verbose. I recently got Deadly Premonitions because I finished watching Twin Peaks and I saw a quick look where the game basically mirrors Twin Peaks. The controls suck, the graphics are PS2 era, but the wacky characters and the homage to Twin Peaks is making me enjoy it. Other games I want to pick up are Killer is Dead. It's suppose to be horrible - what SUDA51 game has great controls? -, but the art style interests me. I also want to pick up Earth Defense Force 2017 just because it looks like fun, even with terrible graphics and sh*t story.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Minishdriveby
To expound upon price, I rarely buy games at release. I have enough interest in other things and the patience to wait for a price drop on games. I will buy the occasional Nintendo game at full price because they tend to not drop in price, i.e. Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Since I rarely have the extra money to spend on games alone... I wanna make sure my purchase will be well worth it. That means I wanna brush up as much info on the game as I can. Whether that be through watching videos, or reading news articles.

If I have the opportunity to rent the game I will, but usually when I do I tend to get my fill of said game, which means I won't end up buying it. Sort of a double-edged sword I guess.

iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts
all of those are equally important: 1. length and content 2. modding tools
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

If I know I'll like the gameplay, I'll get it. It's as simple as that, really.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

I try to assess whether I'll enjoy it based on length of gamesplay and replay value, my pocket is strapped. And good ratings.

aronaouran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aronaouran
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
when it's on sale for $20 on amazon
iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

60fps

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'll buy any game I'm interested in if it goes under 20$. I'm pretty cautious about brand new, 60$ games. I only buy a few, and unless its my favorite, I check reviews first. Example: I love Silent Hill, so reviews don't matter to me. Other games, yes. But it's pretty obvious what games are going to be bad, and what ones are going to be in the spectrum of "good". 

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

if a game interests me, i find myself watching more than one review just to look at it. when a game has gotten under my skin ill start defending them, in my own head; against people who say things because they feel its more important to say them, rather than actually having a sincere opinion of their own. ill end up with a hoard of squirreled away treasures that i've promised myself. after that, ill grab it if i see it for cheap. then not play it, ever. (very sad)

so disappointing to go back excited at finally being inspired to explore a new world, and the disc is rubbish. hopeless that is, having bought it 900 years ago. my ps2 hates level 5 games. dragon quest 8 and dark cloud 2, they just sit there, bitter, ...neglected. dark cloud 2, which i like, freezes. right in the first dungeon after the flashback of his mom. of course the original dark cloud runs like a dream, and its no fun. dq8 freezes after that first battle on the way to the village, during the credits. i dont know if ill actually like dq, but i wants it! im actually afraid to play rogue galaxy.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

If I finished it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Usually if a game is over 20 hours long, its worth my money like the GTA gamess and mass effect series.

Multiplayer comes last and plays a small role in the purchase but its always nice to know that a game has a decent online experience once the main game is over with.

marcheegsr

I only buy a game i'm interested in that lasts longer than 15 hours.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

sukraj

Some of the most memorable games I've played this generation were 2-5 hours.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

[QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

Minishdriveby

Some of the most memorable games I've played this generation were 2-5 hours.

Ok i suppose some games dont have to be long for u to enjoy them.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I only pay full price for a game if it really appeals to me and I think I'll be playing it for months to come. A good multiplayer mode is a big plus for me, as I only ever play the single player storyline once. I normally wait until a game goes down in price before buying.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

What helps me decide on whether or not buying the newer games these days

-actual gameplay footage. If the gameplay looks fun then I might buy it. Tired of the constant FMV movie scenes that take forever

-old fashioned in game unlockables by beating the game 

-a game series that I love like Final Fantasy or a fighting game like Mortal Kombat

-the story premise