Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Not exactly sure if you'd call what I'm going through as gaming burnout or not. But I just feel as if I'm losing interest in most games I start to play.

For example, a couple of titles I recently played & completed: New Super Lucky's Tale & Rayman Legends.

Starting with New Super Lucky's Tale, it was an OK game. I think overall the highlight for me was the Hauntingham world. Would I replay it? Probably not.

So, a few weeks after I started up Rayman Legends. As it was the only mainline Rayman game I hadn't played at the time and it seems to get such high praise. Sure, some of the levels were more intricate than what was offered in Origins, but I'd still rate it as an equally good game.

Another one would be Chrono Trigger. Just wasn't feeling it when I thought I'd love it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at this point in time, I'm kind of shuffling around waiting for that one game to wow me again. (Which, I'm hoping Animal Crossing: New Horizons does.) Maybe it's because there's a lack of genres that I enjoy. There's plenty of JRPG's that I haven't played. But, I'm limited in playing good 3D platformers.

If I were to think about it, the last game that truly found a spot within my favourites was Final Fantasy VII. Coming from someone who played it for the first time early last year, it was one of the greatest experiences a video game has offered me. I have no regrets with that game. I'm hoping I can equally enjoy 8 & 9. :P

Enough about me though, how do you deal with gaming burnout? Do you take a break or, find something better to play instead?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

First I try to go for a completely different genre, preferably short. If nothing clicks I just stop playing for a while.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Do something else.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

For me i think its important to have variety in the types of games i play and how i play them.

Last year i was pretty much only playing on my PC as i stopped buying new games and started raiding my backlog. but after a year solid on the PC with very few new purchases (well ok i took the plunge on VR and some VR games) i'm kinda burned out on the PC for now (still love it though :) ). i'm kinda burned out on using a mouse and keyboard. i have had enough of isometric RPGs for now (finished pillars 1 and pretty much finished 2: both great games). after finishing doom 2016 i dont want to see another FPS for a while (fun game though). after finishing rise and shadow of the tomb raider i have no interest in playing a 3rd person shooter for a good long while. i could go on.

So at the start of this year i plugged the wiiu back in and started playing that. i have finished bayonetta 2 and am in the process of playing through pikmin 3. its a breath of fresh air. its basically the antithesis of the PC. i'm playing pikmin 3 using a wiimote and nunchuck and the gamepad on my lap...it's just very different.

I have also booted up the ol 3DS again and started playing crimson shroud (neat little RPG...lovely soundtrack).

The other thing i find is playing shorter games can help. i love a good long game but sometimes i like to have a shorter play session where i can still get something done. If all the games i have on the go are big 100 hour epics it can kinda feel like i am spinning my wheels. bayonetta 2 was quite short and i think crimson shroud and pikmin 3 are short too so that will be a few more off the backlog before long.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I think it's healthy to have a break mine is usually around the summer time. Definitely gets you refreshed and ready for the gaming season.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

When I'm bored of a certain genre or time commitment to games I just shuffle things around. Play outside comfort-zones, play at different times. That kind of change.

Rarely get burnt out of gaming as a whole anyway. It's usually a certain kind of game I get fed-up with. Sometimes I just want to play a bunch of retro games, other times I may want to dive into a big fat RPG.

Gaming I find is best when you keep yourself entertained, and avoid monotony.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I always go back to retro games that I loved in the past it helps me rinse off all of the dirty greed of today's gaming.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Take a break from gaming. You might even loses interest in gaming alltogether if you leave long enough.

TheDriver78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheDriver78
Member since 2020 • 12 Posts

I usually try and go back to a game that I haven't played in a long time and focus on maybe getting every achievement or something. Otherwise like others have said, a bit of a break has worked for me.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

You can do it.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

@speeny: Well, this is what I’m going through atm. I have no drive for gaming. Luckily I know how to program, and recently I’ve been messing around the computer with a 2D engine that makes Mario and even fighting games. Then usually when I’m tired of that programming stuff, I tend to wanna game. I’m not sure if my answer is good, but I just wanted to help you out with some ideas.

Funny story: the moment I graduated high school, I had this “idea” that I would game pretty much 24/7 forever in my life.

Nowadays I average 1/2 hour to an hour of gameplay time per day.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I have been in that loop for some time now. Sadly for me, there is no cure to this. I simply can't be bothered to complete a game from start to finish, dedicating hours of my life everyday. I just don't have the consistency and attention span to look at the screen for 1-2 hours after work. The only games that I can pick up and play without worrying about needing to know happened in the story are football and online multiplayer games.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Yeah, I go to work. By the time I return, I'm usually ready to play again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I've had quite a lot of gaming burnout the last few years. I had quite a few gaming moments in 2018, but these became marred by life drama and an inadequate Internet connection. I played the crap out of my first Switch at launch in 2017, but aside from the first two months with my new one early this year there's been a lot of detachment. I once again had a lot of Internet trouble last year, ruining Steam and WoW Classic for me.

I'm pretty eager to get back into gaming this year. The way I see it, it's time to take a step back and do things I want to do, and stop obsessing over all the things not going right in my life.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#17 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@Ovirew said:

I've had quite a lot of gaming burnout the last few years. I had quite a few gaming moments in 2018, but these became marred by life drama and an inadequate Internet connection. I played the crap out of my first Switch at launch in 2017, but aside from the first two months with my new one early this year there's been a lot of detachment. I once again had a lot of Internet trouble last year, ruining Steam and WoW Classic for me.

I'm pretty eager to get back into gaming this year. The way I see it, it's time to take a step back and do things I want to do, and stop obsessing over all the things not going right in my life.

Animal Crossing will definitely be the game that gets me back in the groove. It's a game I can pace myself with as well, so no problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@speeny: Only 10 more days, Speeny! (I think.)

Well I'd like to pick up Mario Maker 2 yet, and I guess there have been sales on Mario games for Mar10 day. I could probably stand to own a couple of more chill games too.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

after 40 years of gaming I've never truly burnt out on it. Key may be to have a balanced range of interests so you don;t over indulge in any single one.

LoonelyTress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LoonelyTress
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

Just take a break and everything will be alright.

Re-Mapping the Page.
robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I had a break towards the end of last generation I think it happens to everyone at some point. I felt refreshed going into the new generation.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Take a break from gaming. Come back when ready.