How do you categorize a game into WRPG or JRPG ? (Debate)

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Just-Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Just-Adam
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts

While talking about Demon's Souls with my friend here Matastig , I called it a JRPG .. this sparked a debate between us .

Demon's Souls is clearly - in my mind - a JRPG since it was made by From Software [
Correction : As rragnaar reminded me .. DS was made by From Software . I made this topic late at night I wrote the publisher Atlus instead]
who are Japanese and have developed it in Japan .

Matastig on the other hand finds this ridiculous and thinks that if a RPG doesn't have some of the usual JRPG tropes ( linearity , quirky characters , influences from old JRPGs like FF or DQ ... etc. ) but instead has WRPG tropes ( more open world , actions affecting the world , more freedom ... etc. ) then it should be called a WRPG regardless of where it was made or who made it ( In other words .. Demon's Souls = WRPG )

---------------------------------------

I asked ppl in my blog about this and most of them agreed that DS is a JRPG . However , the answer wasn't conclusive so I thought I'd ask you guys/girls here in the forum about it ... What do you think ?

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

I consider Demon's Soul as WRPG type. My easy way to categorize them and always work for me:

WRPG:

• Real life like character with robotic/bland expression while conversing.
  • Tend to be medieval.
  • Narration isn't its strong point.
  • A lot of dark/muted/depressing colors.
  • More serious theme.
  • Less melodrama stuff.
  • Less cutscenes.

JRPG:

• Animeish hence easy to draw expressive character.
  • Fantasy world.
  • Tend to have good narration.
  • Lost of vibrant and cheerful color.
  • Fun like adventure.
  • Lots of melodrama stuff.
  • Lots of cutscene.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Well it is a JRPG because it is linear to a tee. It does however have open ended customization that isn't known in a lot of JRPGS.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

Using the term JRPG or WRPG in any context other than where the game was developed kind of contradicts the terms. If you start breaking down which is which based on gameplay features and mechanics then it can no longer fall into just JRPG or WRPG. A JRPG is made in Japan (or in some cases other Eastern countries I suppose), a WRPG is made in a western country, simple as that. As soon as you try to expand on that you, by logical observation, have to start using other terms of definition.

evilgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 evilgamer22
Member since 2009 • 2408 Posts

Using the term JRPG or WRPG in any context other than where the game was developed kind of contradicts the terms. If you start breaking down which is which based on gameplay features and mechanics then it can no longer fall into just JRPG or WRPG. A JRPG is made in Japan (or in some cases other Eastern countries I suppose), a WRPG is made in a western country, simple as that. As soon as you try to expand on that you, by logical observation, have to start using other terms of definition.

keech

I agree. When I think JRPG or WRPG, I always think about where it was made. If you want to categorize RPGs on there style or gameplay elements then you should call them something else. While it is easy to make generalizations and say most RPGs from Japan have this style and most RPGs from the west have this style, the truth is not all games from the same region have the same style or gameplay elements. Also (imo) by calling a game like Demon Souls a WRPG its like your not giving credit to the Japenese developers who made it.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I usually think of the artstyle. In pretty much every jrpg the characters have this "japanese" style about them. For example hairstyles, which reminds you about emo, scene etc... This gelfilled pointy hair and all that... It's seen in like what, almost all jrpgs but wrpgs artstyle tend to be a bit more realistic where your hero does not spend 2 hours every day fixing his hair.

Personally I think I like both approaches.

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

[QUOTE="keech"]

evilgamer22

I agree. When I think JRPG or WRPG, I always think about where it was made. If you want to categorize RPGs on there style or gameplay elements then you should call them something else. While it is easy to make generalizations and say most RPGs from Japan have this style and most RPGs from the west have this style, the truth is not all games from the same region have the same style or gameplay elements. Also (imo) by calling a game like Demon Souls a WRPG its like your not giving credit to the Japenese developers who made it.

I don't believe that wRPG and jRPG really pertain to were they are made. The term arrived as subgenres to label RPG's based on their style of gameplay. There was once very noticeble japanese style versus a western style. However, genre styles can mix and blur with every game. I think of the terms as western-style RPG and japanese-style RPG. Not western made and japanese made, but from where the gameplay style derived. It is pretty simple to put most RPG games into one category or the other, but there is no rule that a game can't mix the two styles just like with any other genres

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Regardless of the internals - which can be any combination from a developer - a RPG made in Japan is a JRPG. Just because a developer changes a game to utilize some characteristics of a WRPG does not make it one, as it is labeled by where it is created.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think the lines between the two genres are starting to become very blurred.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="keech"]

evilgamer22

I agree. When I think JRPG or WRPG, I always think about where it was made.

So a German Suplex performed by a non-German wrestler is not a German Suplex? The terms com from where the two different RPG styles were invented. Since the main difference (linear + assigned roles vs. open world + being yourself) is big enogh to handle them as different sub-genres they had to be named by something. And since the be-yourself-RPGs were invented in the west they are called WRPG to make clear that it's not a Japanese-style RPG like Dragon Quest (the mother of JRPGs).
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I've never played a BioWare game before Mass Effect (shame, I know it), and I find that there are plenty of JRPG elements, like mostly linear level design and story. But I would still call it a WRPG because it is a Western made game.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Demon's Souls was made by From Software, not Atlus. Anyway... Everything about DS's design differs from JRPGs. It is the same with the King's Field games that came before it. The art direction is modeled after European medieval fantasy and the gameplay is much more hands on and action oriented than the traditional turn based combat in a JRPG.

You could almost mistake King's Field IV for Morrowind:

But you could never make that mistake with Demon's Souls and Final Fantasy:

I think the art direction and gameplay styIe are much more important than the actual country of origin when determining whether a game is a JRPG or a WRPG.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

One is made in Japan and the other isn't. I don't think there's much more depth to this subject tbqh.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rragnaar

One is made in Japan and the other isn't. I don't think there's much more depth to this subject tbqh.

QuistisTrepe_
I can make Italian food, but I'm not from Italy. I guess that is how I see it.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

JRPG:

- Main characters are generally noisy teenagers with impossible haistyles and/or underage furries with huge boobs
- Stories always, always revolve about a bunch of kids defeating teh Satan
- Limited environment exploration and player movement
- Mostly turn based combat
- Monumental amount of grinding required to barely beat the game
- Mostly grating voice acting

I can make Italian food, but I'm not from Italy. I guess that is how I see it. rragnaar

Hah! you WISH you were in Italy :P

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

rragnaar

Point taken.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I break RPG into three groups: quest base, combat base, and action base.

Quest base RPG is about completed quest. It also need skill that player invest in and these skill are not use in combat. The lock picking skill falls under this. This is what a good number of games label as WRPG falls under.

Combat base RPG is a focus on combat. This games need rich enemies and many power the player can use. Most JRPG falls under this.

Action RPG is where the character runs around and attack enemies.

I do not consider multiple pick dialogs and moral picks as part of RPG.

JRPG:

- Main characters are generally noisy teenagers with impossible hai**** and/or underage furries with huge boobs
- Stories always, always revolve about a bunch of kids defeating teh Satan
- Limited environment exploration and player movement
- Mostly turn based combat
- Monumental amount of grinding required to barely beat the game
- Mostly grating voice acting

Black_Knight_00

You could say about WRPG:

- The main character is boring with little reason to be in the story
- The stories is always weak or revolve about a group defeating teh Satan
- The combat is very basic or rip from other game types
- The games can have little exploration or too much
- The require doing some many side mission and running around kill things to get okay
- They use such a limit number of character types

You don't like JRPG fine but does make their weakness seam that is the only part of the game.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 keech

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

rragnaar

It's a fair point. But I could also turn it around and say I can go eat Taco Bell. But I wouldn't go as far as calling it mexican food.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i go by country of origin. when people separate them into gameplay characteristics, the defining difference generally comes down to player choice. that just muddles things too much for me when i think of a game like persona 3 or 4. thematically and stylistically, those are very japanese games. yet player choice has a significant role. is the anime game about japanese high school students and japanese lifesty|es from the point of view of japanese developers western? i dont think i could make that jump.

theres the opposite type of example like the previously mentioned demon's souls. id just call that a jrpg with western influences. even then, demon's souls has its own japanese roots that i dont think it truly strays from. there are some smaller things, but the most notable is the cyclical nature of the mythology. the continuous cycle of death and rebirth is something that gives it an eastern perspective despite having a lot of western elements too.

theres probably too much focus on labels anyway, but i think country of origin is effective.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

I consider Demon's Soul as WRPG type. My easy way to categorize them and always work for me:

WRPG:

• Real life like character with robotic/bland expression while conversing.
  • Tend to be medieval.
  • Narration isn't its strong point.
  • A lot of dark/muted/depressing colors.
  • More serious theme.
  • Less melodrama stuff.
  • Less cutscenes.

JRPG:

• Animeish hence easy to draw expressive character.
  • Fantasy world.
  • Tend to have good narration.
  • Lost of vibrant and cheerful color.
  • Fun like adventure.
  • Lots of melodrama stuff.
  • Lots of cutscene.

Everiez

I agree with this guy. Also, don't forget the linearity aspect of JRPGs. Ugh. Final Fantasy alone made me sick of the genre.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#21 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
It's by country of origin. If it went by game types/ the way the game plays, then a few of the early Ultimas would suddenly fall in the JRPG genre only because the Japanese copied them and stuck to that style of gameplay. So there are JRPG's that offer freedom, choices and non-linear gameplay and they're still JRPG's. I really don't see much western about Ogre Battle.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pills4louis

It's by country of origin. If it went by game types/ the way the game plays, then a few of the early Ultimas would suddenly fall in the JRPG genre only because the Japanese copied them and stuck to that style of gameplay. So there are JRPG's that offer freedom, choices and non-linear gameplay and they're still JRPG's. I really don't see much western about Ogre Battle.smerlus
Technically Demon's Souls is a WRPG in every sense of the word, though. No anime-style BS, no unbelievable melodrama, and real-time combat-- a staple for WRPGs. Technically, it's an action RPG (a genre the west does better, I think), and a damn good one, seeing as so many Japanese action-RPGS turn out meciocre.

With that said, most of my favorite games are Japanese. Just... very few of them are RPGs.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds

no unbelievable melodrama

There so much more unbelievable melodrama in WRPG than in JRPG.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

wiouds

Are you for real? Care to name drop a few examples?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

kaealy

Are you for real? Care to name drop a few examples?

Many of the teammates in Mass Effect 2.
I remember some moments in Fallout 3.
The Witcher has some moments.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pills4louis

wiouds

There's much less crying in WRPGs as I've noticed. Sure, there's some emotion, but nothing incredibly over-the-top. I can liken many scenarios in JRPGs, especially nowadays, to Captain Kirk screaming "KAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHNNN!" while listening to "How Could This Happen to Me?" by Simple Plan on repeat-1 ad nauseum.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiouds

One thing that I have notice is the double stander for JRPG and WRPG. A good number will like WRPG get away with things that JRPG get attack and belittle so much for.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pills4louis

One thing that I have notice is the double stander for JRPG and WRPG. A good number will like WRPG get away with things that JRPG get attack and belittle so much for.

wiouds

JRPGs did sort of create the stereotype for themselves, though, with the entire story being essentially on-rails and the animu-style melodrama. It also seems that only a small handful of JRPGs have any sort of replay value, due to the lack of multiple endings.

Also, still waiting to hear back about how Demon's Souls displays any sort of over-the-top animu melodrama, if indeed you were making that kind of implication.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiouds

It also seems that only a small handful of JRPGs have any sort of replay value, due to the lack of multiple endings.

I have found that I replay JRPG and a few time over becuase the game play is fun. While WRPG game play boring and only good when they take game play from other games.

I rarely replay a game with multiple ending since it just some clips or a slid after the game is over.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

While talking about Demon's Souls with my friend here Matastig , I called it a JRPG .. this sparked a debate between us .

Demon's Souls is clearly - in my mind - a JRPG since it was made by Atlus who are Japanese and have developed it in Japan .

Matastig on the other hand finds this ridiculous and thinks that if a RPG doesn't have some of the usual JRPG tropes ( linearity , quirky characters , influences from old JRPGs like FF or DQ ... etc. ) but instead has WRPG tropes ( more open world , actions affecting the world , more freedom ... etc. ) then it should be called a WRPG regardless of where it was made or who made it ( In other words .. Demon's Souls = WRPG )

---------------------------------------

I asked ppl in my blog about this and most of them agreed that DS is a JRPG . However , the answer wasn't conclusive so I thought I'd ask you guys/girls here in the forum about it ... What do you think ?

Just-Adam
WRPG - Mid Evil/Futuristic Characters JRPG - Emo Kids
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pills4louis

It also seems that only a small handful of JRPGs have any sort of replay value, due to the lack of multiple endings.

I have found that I replay JRPG and a few time over becuase the game play is fun. While WRPG game play boring and only good when they take game play from other games.

I rarely replay a game with multiple ending since it just some clips or a slid after the game is over.

wiouds

What's your favorite part of JRPG combat? Taking mandatory hits, following the attack-attack-heal flowchart, or the level-grinding?

I love a few JRPGs, most notably Panzer Dragoon Saga and the first two Shadow Hearts games. But they at least add a bit of variety to the combat.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts
I would say that it's the conventions of the game that make it what it is ie. styIe, theme, presentation, etc.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

pills4louis

What's your favorite part of JRPG combat? Taking mandatory hits, following the attack-attack-heal flowchart, or the level-grinding?

I love a few JRPGs, most notably Panzer Dragoon Saga and the first two Shadow Hearts games. But they at least add a bit of variety to the combat.

I like the richness of enemies and how you can not use the same tactic to beat every enemies. The one that I like the most is the ones that are not turn base like FF9.

It better that WRPG's grind until you are strong enough to attack enemies until they are dead.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#35 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
It's usually the art style and characters that determine it for me. Usually, WRGPs are more medieval based, while JRPGs tend to be more fantastical.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pills4louis

Demon's Souls is a JRPG, this cannot be argued (it's not my opinion). However, it does share more similarities with WRPGs than JRPGs, as far as gameplay goes. It's an interesting comparison, but it's definitely categorized as a JRPG.EccentricWraith
I don't even see how. If anything, it's an action RPG, and doesn't conform to the stereotypes of JRPGs.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rragnaar
[QUOTE="EccentricWraith"]Demon's Souls is a JRPG, this cannot be argued (it's not my opinion). However, it does share more similarities with WRPGs than JRPGs, as far as gameplay goes. It's an interesting comparison, but it's definitely categorized as a JRPG.

You claim it as fact without backing it up. This whole thread is about trying to determine whether the country of origin determines what kind of RPG something is, or if it the characteristics of the game that determine it.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pills4louis

[QUOTE="EccentricWraith"]Demon's Souls is a JRPG, this cannot be argued (it's not my opinion). However, it does share more similarities with WRPGs than JRPGs, as far as gameplay goes. It's an interesting comparison, but it's definitely categorized as a JRPG.rragnaar
You claim it as fact without backing it up. This whole thread is about trying to determine whether the country of origin determines what kind of RPG something is, or if it the characteristics of the game that determine it.

I support judging it by its characteristics. "Country of origin" is downright silly if a game embodies none of the chiches/ trademarks of its 'usual' genre. By that logic, Nier would be a JRPG, which it most certainly is not. It's an action RPG.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
The easy (and completely valid no matter how offputting some may find it) answer: JRPGs are made in Japan, WRPGs are made anywhere else (Korea is kind of a neutral ground in this discussion). The alternate answer is far more complicated, simply because you end up implicitly attaching the suffix "-sty|e" to the end of "Japanese" or "Western". Therefore... JRPGs: Focus on gameplay and narrative, player is extensively involved with the world around them at the expense of open-endedness. WRPGs: Focus on exploration and choice, nonlinearity comes at the loss of sense of involvement with the world around you. There are a lot of other signature traits, but these are the main ones.
Just-Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Just-Adam

Interesting stuff from everyone .. quite a bit of JRPG hate and stereotyping but I can easily ignore that :roll:

So here's my input [ haven't been able to keep up with the topic as I'm amidst my final exams :cry: ] .. Why were the terms JRPG and WRPG created in the first place ? I'm not sure but my guess is that every other genre was almost identical worldwide except for RPGs .. so to distinguish both , they started saying JRPG and WRPG .. JRPG standing for RPGs coming from Japan and WRPGs for ones made in the west ..

By that definition , Demon's Souls has come from Japan and thus it instantly = JRPG .

Also , a response to a point raised here and that is the sty|e . I actually don't think DS has the traditional WRPG tropes . Case in point , Dragon Age Origins supposedly embodies a lot of the WRPG traditional elements . I played that game and couldn't stand it (not my type .. same with fallout ) . So if DS had the same elements I don't think I would've deemed it my GoTY that year . It's very different .

What I think is creating the rift here is the fact that DS is an action RPG .. therein lies the problem .. JRPG are mostly turn-based or tactical or that sort of "SUB-genre" .. so when Japanese make an action RPG , ppl aren't accustomed to seeing that often from them and so they call it Western . But that isn't true . If a WRPG decides to employ turn-based combat that doesn't instantly transform it to a JRPG .

Tactical - Action - Turn-based - Strategy ... those are all sub-genres not genres and should have no impact on the genre .

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

What about "Lord of the Rings the Third Age"

Giving a game the name JRPG because it was made in Japan is silly at best. We does call other cames JPlatformer and WPlatformer.

Just-Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Just-Adam

Giving a game the name JRPG because it was made in Japan is silly at best. We does call other cames JPlatformer and WPlatformer.

wiouds

LoTR was made by EA .. there's no doubt it's a WRPG ..

And we don't do that for other genres [ platformers or shooters .... etc ] because they are the same worldwide .. but RPGs were very different specially back in the day so they called it JRPG and WRPG to differentiate them :)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiouds

If WRPG and JRPG is that different then why do we not give them more meaningful and unbiased names to group the games?

"lord of the rings third age" is called a WRPG but it break every thing that some say a WRPG is made up of.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i consider demon's souls a JRPG, though it is close to the borderline there.

in general:
JRPG: made in Japan, linear story-wise, heavy on reading, one ending, no creating charecters
WRPG: Made in western hemisphere, create own charecter, mutliple endings, more voice-overs, multiple endings, new game+, open world, based on dungeons and dragons

and I also like WRPG alot more (especially in the last few years)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wiouds

I have become less impress with WRPG these last few years. Their stories are become just simple cut out. The main character does stuck in many and are meaningless. The teammate are become very cliche. The only changes that any WRPG have seen were taken from other games.

I do like WRPG so I can not over look there downsides.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#46 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Because RPG's are the only genre of games that were hit by a huge divide. WRPG's have mostly been on PC and JRPG's on console. The history is skewed by many that only play consoles on here. That's why you have people that say JRPG's came first or role playing means acting in theater, therefore JRPG's are the true role playing games. I can't say the same for platformers.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

smerlus

Because RPG's are the only genre of games that were hit by a huge divide. WRPG's have mostly been on PC and JRPG's on console. The history is skewed by many that only play consoles on here. That's why you have people that say JRPG's came first or role playing means acting in theater, therefore JRPG's are the true role playing games. I can't say the same for platformers.

u made a good point, jrpg's are traditionally on consoles while wrpg's are made for computers and could be said to be more "hard-core" then jrpgs

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 keech

If WRPG and JRPG is that different then why do we not give them more meaningful and unbiased names to group the games?

"lord of the rings third age" is called a WRPG but it break every thing that some say a WRPG is made up of.

wiouds

This is a great point, if you aren't going to base what is a WRPG or a JRPG on where they were made, and instead on how they play. Then LOTR: 3rd Age is by definition a JRPG. It plays almost identical to Final Fantasy X. It bares virtually no commonalities with traditional WRPG's. The only thing even remotely western about it is the LOTR namesake.

You can't flip flop between what defines the genre. One can't in one breath say LOTR: 3rd Age is a WRPG because it was made by EA. Then in the next breath say Demon's Souls is also a WRPG because it plays more like one than it does a JRPG.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

The main problem with calling things "Japanese Role-Playing Games" is that most so-called JRPG have little to no actual role-playing elements. I find it ridiculous to call a game where you never, ever, ever make any sort of choice whatsoever a "role-playing game".

Final Fantasy is not more of a role-playing game than Call of Duty, so why are you putting it in the same general category as Baldur's Gate?!

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

The main problem with calling things "Japanese Role-Playing Games" is that most so-called JRPG have little to no actual role-playing elements. I find it ridiculous to call a game where you never, ever, ever make any sort of choice whatsoever a "role-playing game".

Final Fantasy is not more of a role-playing game than Call of Duty, so why are you putting it in the same general category as Baldur's Gate?!

ReddestSkies
You have no idea what the original meaning of role-playing is, do you? It means to play a role defined by a script, not to do what you think is right. Looking that way JRPGs are a lot closer to actual role-playing. Disclaimer (because I can already smell the flames): WRPGs are not any less RPGs for me. They just take a different approach to role-playing by putting you into a world and just watch what you do with it. If you prefer this way that's fine, but don't deny the JRPGs.