How do the older Persona games compare to Persona 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

Topic^^

But yes, cant wait for Innocent Sin translation, going to be awesome and very close to release!

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 owl_of_minerva
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

Topic^^

But yes, cant wait for Innocent Sin translation, going to be awesome and very close to release!

FirstDiscovery

Yes, it's going to be awesome. The only previous Persona game I've played is the first one, which I can assure you is fairly bad. The translation/localisation is renowned for its awfulness. As the dialogue consists of barely comprehensible English, the storyline is pretty much lost. Atlus also cut out one of the main story sequences (the Snow Queen quest), gave the villain in racist fashion an Italian name as well as added a token African-American character which plays to the worst stereotype possible. I beat the game but only because of my interest in the series although the combat was reasonably fun. I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to recommend it though.

I haven't played the two-part Persona 2 but from what I hear a number of fans [including the translators for Innocent Sin unsurprisingly] consider them better than Persona 3.

falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

i've only played persona 1 for half an hour so far, so i can't give a fair judgement yet.

persona 2 eternal punishment however is an awesome game and IMO better (way better) than P3. especially the rumour system in persona 2 is great, a really unique addition i haven't seen in any other game. it is also way harder than P3 and has the stronger story.

if you like Persona 3, you will probably end up loving Eternal Punishment.

i also can't wait for innocent sin, still need to get my hands on a japanese copy of the game. hopefully the fan translation project will be finished soon:D

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
They are nothing alike....
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

In the Persona series I only have both versions of Persona 3 and Persona 2. I liked Persona 2 more, as much as I liked the interactions with people in Persona 3, everything else was better in Persona 2. The way you recruit, the gameplay, the rumors, etc.

What's this about an Innocent Sin translation?

PreLuDe_DuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PreLuDe_DuDe
Member since 2004 • 513 Posts
I will have to also agree with some of you regarding the epicness of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. Everything about that game was amazing besides its unforgiving boss battles. But it contains a lot of charm that P3 lacks. But P3 is definitely a great game.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 owl_of_minerva
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

In the Persona series I only have both versions of Persona 3 and Persona 2. I liked Persona 2 more, as much as I liked the interactions with people in Persona 3, everything else was better in Persona 2. The way you recruit, the gameplay, the rumors, etc.

Legolas_Katarn

If you google Persona 2: Innocent Sin you'll find a blog devoted to its fan translation. At the moment it's 98% complete and in beta-testing. The patch should be available within a month or two, which will finally allow English-speaking fans a chance to play it for the first time.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

owl_of_minerva

If you google Persona 2: Innocent Sin you'll find a blog devoted to its fan translation. At the moment it's 98% complete and in beta-testing. The patch should be available within a month or two, which will finally allow English-speaking fans a chance to play it for the first time.

So you would need to mod a PS or PS2 and you could use that then? And get your PS or PS2 able to play Japanese games?

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#9 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts
It would probably be easier to just play it on the computer.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FirstDiscovery
Awesome, ill give both Persona 2s a shot
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="owl_of_minerva"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

Legolas_Katarn

So you would need to mod a PS or PS2 and you could use that then? And get your PS or PS2 able to play Japanese games?

You can always try an emulator, perfectly legal
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"][QUOTE="owl_of_minerva"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

FirstDiscovery

You can always try an emulator, perfectly legal

I don't remember that ever being legal. Not even if you own an actual copy of the game.

Avatar image for garter_windwood
garter_windwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 garter_windwood
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Persona is very open ended compared to P3 and P2, if you don't have a guide you can easily mess up on getting the better team members as one wrong answer in a dialogue can leave you with no chance of getting the strongest team members in the game. P2 is okay but the whole Innocent Sin hang up kind of leaves you hanging so hopefully it will be translated now that Persona is getting a lot more interest because of P3. They're all great games but if you want the anime kind of set up and such I'd wait and get P4 instead which is due for release in December of this year.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FirstDiscovery

I don't remember that ever being legal. Not even if you own an actual copy of the game.

Legolas_Katarn

Its perfectly legal why would it not be if you own the game? On the PSone, you need your own BIOS as well, but even then, some emulators have reverse engineered their own BIOS.

When Sony sued them, Sony actually lost.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FirstDiscovery
Persona is very open ended compared to P3 and P2, if you don't have a guide you can easily mess up on getting the better team members as one wrong answer in a dialogue can leave you with no chance of getting the strongest team members in the game. P2 is okay but the whole Innocent Sin hang up kind of leaves you hanging so hopefully it will be translated now that Persona is getting a lot more interest because of P3. They're all great games but if you want the anime kind of set up and such I'd wait and get P4 instead which is due for release in December of this year.garter_windwood
Interesting, so how would you rank them all?
Hive7311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hive7311
Member since 2004 • 333 Posts
i honestly didnt like P2 as much as P3. Not sure why, but i had more fun play other megaten games like Nocturne or Devil Summoner.
superbeast1370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superbeast1370
Member since 2007 • 89 Posts

Topic^^

FirstDiscovery

great. if released soon enough, it ought to keep me busy till Persona 4.

Avatar image for garter_windwood
garter_windwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 garter_windwood
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts

Well in general I personally prefer Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne over Persona but out of the 3 that I've played...(4 isn't stateside yet)

1. Persona 3: FES (I personally like the extra thrown on the end and the better customability with weapon synthesis and such is a plus over the original which I also owned)

2. Persona

3. Persona 2