Platerpoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Platerpoos
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

For some reason, no matter what game, I can never stick to one game for a long period of time. This is a problem because I find myself with dozens of Steam games, but I don't really want to play any of them. I either wait until I'm in the mood to play a certain game or I spend countless hours surfing youtube while bored out of my mind.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

@platerpoos: Finding a game ones-self really likes personally works for me.

Ignore the zeitgeist, others outspoken preference, and go for your own.

Sure, taking suggestions at times is a clever idea to try something new. But comfort is the reason many got into gaming in the first place.

Think of a genre of games >you< have fondness for, and look into a game you can sink your teeth into.

Hope that helps, and happy gaming.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I find it to be more of a habitual thing to focus on one or two games at a time. That's just how I like to play games while also doing as much as I can in every game I play. I have no real suggestions as to how to start playing games in this way though... I mean, other than stop buying games until you complete the ones you have anyway.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#4 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

This is one my current vices(minus the Youtube time-wasting), I'm trying to improve but it's tough. I do a lot of "game-hopping", akin to "channel-surfing". However, I usually stick to one or 2 online games, for instance I've been playing a lot of Forza 7 recently. The game-hopping happens mostly with the single player stuff, the other games I'm playing when I don't play Forza.

I just feel like if I want to commit to a game and see it through all the way to the end, it needs to be worthwhile. As soon as I get the gist of the gameplay, what I tend to do is try out another game just to see if that game may possibly interest me more. It doesn't help that I've been gaming for a very long time, so I can quickly get a sense of what kind of game it is and if the story is interesting enough.

Anyways, it's not really a big deal, I enjoy going from one game to another and this kind of behavior has been accelerated by my adoption of digital this gen. Much easier to jump from game to game when it is so easy to do. It encourages me to play more types of games I didn't before and makes things more varied it seems, so one thing that helps is that I noticed once I launch the game, play for a few minutes, it makes it harder to stop from there. If I'm enjoying myself, I'll keep playing. So if you know the game is something you like, give it a few minutes before deciding "I'm jumping to another game now", that would be my best advice for now.

Xabi1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xabi1998
Member since 2017 • 34 Posts

I find it to be my regular pleasures, but I do not know why. because I'm passionate about the game.

JacobGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JacobGee
Member since 2017 • 59 Posts

It really depends on you and your taste.

I am a FPS fan, let me give you an example. I bought Rainbow Six Siege in Dec, 2015. I was unsure of it though in the first place, I started playing it and it was fun and I never knew this game will be my regular go-to in 2nd year. From then till now, It is the only game in my collection I regularly play.

And yeah, I have developed a taste for tactical FPS after siege so I am mostly looking for similar games now on Steam and PS.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I'd say try to dedicate yourself to beating the games you own before you buy any more. The less you work on that backlog the more it grows. I kind of have the same problem myself so I won't be buying anything else until I beat at least 3-4 of my games first.

JacobGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JacobGee
Member since 2017 • 59 Posts

That only goes for single players game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I have definitely had this same problem and I've been working to resolve it.

I've realized that I enjoyed games much more back when I did not have enough money to buy all of the games that I wanted. Once I got to the point in my life where I had enough money to afford buying all of the games that I wanted, I stopped enjoying the games as much since I would constantly be switching between games to try to fit them all in and never really getting a chance to invest heavily into a single game like I did back when I could only get a few games a year.

I've had to accept that even though I now have the money to afford all of the games that I want, I simply don't have the time to play all of the games that I want, so I need to impose limits on myself by pretending that I'm still a poor kid that has a limited budget for games and therefore I have to select only the few games that I'm most excited to play. I've also needed to accept that just because a game is on sale for a really great deal, that doesn't mean that I need to buy it if it is not one of my top most anticipated games because it will then only add to my backlog and take time away from investing in the games that appeal to me the most.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

@platerpoos: You are growing out of gaming. Eventually you will stop hoarding them, then you will start late adopting consoles (2-3 years into the cycle), and then one day you will realize you haven't even picked up a game controller in over a year.

Happens to the best of us. I haven't played anything since Witcher 3 over a year ago.

At this point I'm basically waiting for Cyberpunk 2077.

b1ack0ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By b1ack0ut
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

You play a F2P game and sink a ton of money into skins T T

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

You can't force yourself to like a game, it just happens (or it doesn't)

Finding a game that is fun, is something you'd like to return to

Finding a game that's fun to play with friends, is also great to return to

I've stuck with Battlefield 1 for the past year, I've stuck with Day of Infamy for over half a year now.

I loved playing Wolfenstein II and I will surely return whenever new content hits, and heck, I've been playing that game for a week now.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Try sticking to one or two games at a time

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Any money you spent on those games you'll never get back. No point in forcing yourself to play something you don't find interesting. Most of the 8 or 9 rated games on most sites are just well-polished very small iterations on other games in a series or genre. So you will eventually get tired of FPS games if you play only CoD and EA shooters, for example, but the new Doom is a refreshing take on the genre.

Boyluver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Boyluver
Member since 2017 • 22 Posts

@platerpoos said:

For some reason, no matter what game, I can never stick to one game for a long period of time. This is a problem because I find myself with dozens of Steam games, but I don't really want to play any of them. I either wait until I'm in the mood to play a certain game or I spend countless hours surfing youtube while bored out of my mind.

Its called being overstimulated. Its like if you watch too many ahem prom videos. And then suddenly your boyfriend is not enough anymore... if you cat ch my drift.

I get that sometimes. Thats when I know its time to turn off the various boxes and go for a jog.