How do I convince my parents to let me play Black Ops 3? I need help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sp33dy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sp33dy117
Member since 2015 • 61 Posts

So I'm 12 years old and I have been playing COD ever since I was 8. My parents didn't really mind.(More like they didn't notice) I had 2 older brothers at that time, so they were able to buy rated M games. Now in the present, my parents are hearing from other parents that violent video games are bad especially when your killing someone. They really don't like the fact that I'm killing someone and that it may transform me to be more violent. Now getting the game isn't a problem since my brother buys all my games and is okay with it. (He's 23 and has a good job) So here are my options.

1. I am a good student and get A's most of the time so I guess I tell them I deserve it or something.

2. I explain the game clearly and say it's not real and I won't become more violent and I won't play it that much.

3. I BEG A LOT. (Not a good idea)

I really want to play Black Ops 3 and think it's really fun since I played the beta which they were fine with since it was a limited time only. Any suggestions? I really want to play this game. Thanks!

-Speedy

P.S. Please give me good ideas.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Well coming from a parent. I suggest you listen to your parents and do what you're told. I know that every younger child thinks they should be able to do something made for people older than they are. I honestly get it as I was once that same kid. Now i'm on the other side and understand it better. No you don't want to be told that, but yes it is fair. Beyond that if you really want to play it and not have to sneak playing it, I suggest you come up with a really good one time speech about why you want to ask for their trust and understanding but will also understand if they say no or revoke it later. Ie... Show them how responsible, compassionate and just all around great kid you are when you're not playing it. Point that out to them and be that kid in your day to day life and not just when you want something. Let them know that if they let you play it (first it's very kind of them) and second if you deviate from being that great kid you'd understand if they take it away. I am a parent that somewhat lets my kids play games that are designed for older kids, but I also am quick to point out that when I see that change in attitude the games go away. It happens often and we work through it. Second after all that and if you do get to play it, don't be that kid on xbox live that annoys everyone by trying to act older than you are, cussing and swearing and making crass comments. Also don't blare your radio or something else you know is going to bother other players. Being online, you'd be amazed at how often that happens and re-enforces why younger kids shouldn't be playing games like COD. Hope that helps.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Step 1: build a time machine

Step 2: travel in time to when you are 18 years-old

Step 3: get a job

Step 4: buy the game

Hope that helped.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@sp33dy117 said:

So I'm 12 years old and I have been playing COD ever since I was 8. My parents didn't really mind.(More like they didn't notice) I had 2 older brothers at that time, so they were able to buy rated M games. Now in the present, my parents are hearing from other parents that violent video games are bad especially when your killing someone. They really don't like the fact that I'm killing someone and that it may transform me to be more violent. Now getting the game isn't a problem since my brother buys all my games and is okay with it. (He's 23 and has a good job) So here are my options.

1. I am a good student and get A's most of the time so I guess I tell them I deserve it or something.

2. I explain the game clearly and say it's not real and I won't become more violent and I won't play it that much.

3. I BEG A LOT. (Not a good idea)

I really want to play Black Ops 3 and think it's really fun since I played the beta which they were fine with since it was a limited time only. Any suggestions? I really want to play this game. Thanks!

-Speedy

P.S. Please give me good ideas.

Only advice i can give you is listen to your parents.

You are 12 not 18 or an adult. So no matter how much you may think you know best, you are still a kid and no one on this board unless your parents are here, knows what best for you.

FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts

It is true that you should absolutely listen to and give credence to your parents concerns. You should, as rgsniper1 pointed out, have a mature discussion with them. Begging, whining, or getting angry will never impress your parents, believe me. Showing maturity and thoughtfulness will. That said, here are a few points that might help your cause:

1: There is no definitive proof that video games make people violent. Most people get this believe because its perpetuated every time you see some teenager go on a rampage on the news and they reveal that he played violent video games in his basement. Unfortunately, it is a fallacy to then say that video games caused the person to be violent. There have been studies done on this. People who are already prone to violence are often attracted to violent video games. Correlation is not causation. People like to get excited because it seems to intuitively make sense that violent video games would make people violent. But don't take my word for it. I would encourage you to do some research into the matter and then talk to your parents about it. Encourage them to do research on it, too. If they are concerned that video games will make you violent, they should base their concerns in evidence, rather than fear and hearsay.

2: You have already been playing violent video games for 4 years. Whatever your parents hope to shield you from by stopping you now, has most likely already gotten through. You should politely point out that you have played for 4 years and you are still an A student who is respectful, intelligent, and who does not get into fights at school. And that had better all be true, buddy! Ha ha. Video games are a privilege and if you aren't doing well where you need to be, they should be the first to go.

If all those things are true, then bingo - you have a proven track record of being able to play violent video games without adverse effect. Now, every family is different and every kid is different. Though studies have not definitively shown that video games cause violence, they have shown that they can lead to an increase in aggression in some people. Hopefully you are not one of those people. But I encourage you to monitor yourself and tell your parents to watch you. Ask your parents if they notice that you get more aggressive because of playing games. If you don't seem to get aggressive then there should be no cause for alarm. If you do, then their concerns may hold water.

My closing statement is this: If you can demonstrate that you are able to play violent video games and yet maintain good grades, good friends, and a good attitude, then your parents should see that you are able to handle it. If these things start to slip, however, then its game over, lol. Good luck and in the end, trust your parents, they're smarter than you think.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Be responsible, be kind, do your chores, don't whine and visit your grandma once in a while.

GamerForLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerForLife
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Try telling them that you see hear much worse at school and you probably have seen more in PG-13 movies than in black ops 3 and tell them in black ops 3 campaign you are shooting at robots. Remember, the people who play those games are already violent. If that doesn't work, trust your parents, they know what's best.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Thank god you have responsible parents...

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

talk to your brother, he might convince them because you got no chance

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Listen to your parents.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Does your brother know he buys you games that you can't play? I assume we are talking about consoles here, and I wouldn't be too happy buying an expensive video game with a depreciating value if that person isn't going to be able to play it the moment I buy it for them.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#13 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

As a parent I bought Black Ops 3 for myself but allow my 13 year old son gametime with it. It has an option for censor in the game. I have taught him the difference between reality and fiction. Also since I play as well we co-op and I consider it a bonding experience.
It's better for him to play this stuff when I'm around, otherwise he would just sneak off to his friends place to play anyway. Difference is I can monitor.
Violent video games are not bad, real violence is. There was violence in the 18th century, are video games to blame back then even though they didn't exist.
Parents shouldn't be looking at what to blame, but rather educate their children about the harsh realities of violence and if you have issues don't bottle them up but talk to someone about them.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

@gamerforlife said:

Try telling them that you see hear much worse at school and you probably have seen more in PG-13 movies than in black ops 3 and tell them in black ops 3 campaign you are shooting at robots. Remember, the people who play those games are already violent. If that doesn't work, trust your parents, they know what's best.

re: "Remember, the people who play those games are already violent." Say what? I play those games and you don't see me going around ripping the ears off bunnies?

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#15 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Have a heart-to-heart with your parents. Games don't make people violent. If, after that, they haven't changed their mind, listen to your parents.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Just accept it. There will com a day where you'll be able to buy M rated games on your own without anyone telling you what to do. Plus, maybe branch out a bit. There are plenty of other worthwhile games out there that aren't rated M.

Additionally, show them you're not violent. That's a complete and total myth that is almost entirely unfounded. I have been paying M rated games since I was like 10 and I have yet to kill anyone, or want to kill anyone.

GamerForLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GamerForLife
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

@digitm64: Sorry bro, I said that wrong. I meant the people that you see on the news who are involved in shootings and games were said to be the cause, those people were violent before they started playing the games and they shouldn't have started playing because that caused it. Hope that makes sense

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

You are able to write well crafted sentences. I think you are more mature than most of the adults on here so i don't see why they shouldn't let you play the game since you've played them before and haven't gone psycho yet. 12 isn't that young really so its fine. But i don't think you should have been playing them at 8, but the damage is done hahaha.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@sp33dy117: Tell them: "If you don't know me well enough after 12 years to trust in my ability to handle mature content, then that speaks more of your lack of interest in my life than it does about me or the games I choose to play."

It's a gutsy move and could get you grounded, but if you deliver it with a straight face without yelling like a petulant child, I'll bet they cave.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

Your parents are doing you a favor, go play something else

sp33dy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sp33dy117

@Baconstrip78: Haha, this discussion is still going? I already pre-orered the game and LOVE it. However, they think I will get addicted.

Virtuocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Virtuocity
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts

The game has a content filter for the campaign mode where blood, gore and violent language is all but censored. The multiplayer campaign, which is the main component of the game is not focused on blood and gore. The main focus is actually shooting skills and good gameplay. These are some things that can help, but ultimately the best solution is to have your parents look at these features for themselves ?

paomonk101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 paomonk101
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

just ask nicely

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

sorry bud, no luck; they're your parents and you're 12.

best you can do is disprove the piss-poor arguments that exist out there that argue in favor of this whole idea of video games causing violence (they don't, this has been documented over and over and over again) and hope they catch on.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@paomonk101: Lol

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts

@sp33dy117: Mow your neighbor's lawn and use the money to buy the game.

sp33dy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sp33dy117

@tratyu92:lmao yo this is from 2 years ago i already have the game in fact im about to pre order cod ww2

mcreloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mcreloaded
Member since 2017 • 48 Posts

I'm a parent of two daughters one 13 the other 11. I only censor nudity for them because I believe they act mature enough for MA content. I would reflect upon yourself and see if you are acting mature enough for your parents to trust you to play such games. It all starts with inner reflection

HushBlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HushBlush
Member since 2017 • 72 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: you made me laugh..

@sp33dy117: when i was a kid, i really beg my parents to allow me play something that i'd really like.. i knew 12 years old is a bit young for violent games lol. and sometimes kid change personality and or behavior, coz of the games they played, and the people they played with. Ask your parents, let them know what is the game content then wait for their response. Go play with your dad and let him know that this is a real good game :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Necro thread bumped by spambot.

-Byshop