How credible are gamespot reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robotapple
Member since 2012 • 780 Posts

in your opinion?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

As cridible as any other website I suppose. I don't put much stock in reviews though.

TheBatFreak777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#3 TheBatFreak777
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

I actually did a master's thesis on the topic.  It turns out that GS reviews are 75.43% reliable.  

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
The written Review is credible but the score/rating should always be ignored. And you should check out the videos and avoid the demos. And thats just the Basics.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
How credible are you threads?
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Keep in mind that reviews are nothing more than someone's opinion.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
I'll say this in the most unbiased way possible. I can assure you, they're much more credible than IGN's reviews. Kevin VanOrd usually gives the most honest scores.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts
How credible are you threads?MonsieurX
More credible than SNIPER threads at least. That's a start.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i dont read reviews anymore i make up my own mind if i want to buy a paticular game.

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I dont look at any reviews as a credible source. Theyre just somebody else's opinion on the game. I dont put stock in reviews.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#11 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Just as credible as any other review. It's one person's opinion, so I put very little stock in any of them.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I actually did a master's thesis on the topic.  It turns out that GS reviews are 75.43% reliable.  

TheBatFreak777
have you got a number for all of the big sites? IGN, Game Informer, etc? I trust them and IGN a lot (laugh if you want, i don't care). And a local reviewer here. But it's usually to get a feel of the game and i don't base my purchases solely on them
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Less credible for fanboys. They don't placate, which fanboys want.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Hit or miss. One thing I found silly was the SS3:BFE review. 6/10 to a game that offers something different than the constant linear modern military shooters.
Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#15 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Most of the time I think the written reviews are well presented, and offer a good indication of the pros and cons of a game, along with an overall flavour.  I tend to ignore the actual score rating, though.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

They're semi-informed opinions, no more or less credible than your average forum poster. Which makes them useless as I can get more out of a conversation with someone who has earned my trust and played a game than from the ENG 101 essay closed style of review.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I haven't read one in years.  That's what I think of their credibility.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

I'd say that wether or not they're credible depends more on your own tastes.  If you find a source which has a similar view on what makes a videogame great, then you'll agree with their reviews most of the time, thus, they will be credible to you as an individual.  Personally I put my faith more in Edge and Eurogamer.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

They are as credible as whether you can find the information you (as a gamer)  are looking forward to finding out in order to help you make a decision. For example, how good the story is and how long the single player campaign is are two important factors for me. Some GS reviewers give that information, which i find to be most useful. Some dont. So, it is up to you as a gamer to decide what you can get out of someone else's review.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#20 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Depends on what you define as a "credible review". But yes, I'd say they're credible. They aren't bias for the most part.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44322 Posts
I find them very credible myself. I also check out a variety of other sites' reviews but Gamespot is always my number one place that I go by.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It depends on the reviewer it seems. There are some really good reviews on here but there are also some very poorly done ones as well. Sometimes both coming from the same reviwer who seemingly just felt different that time... Reading the content in the review is very important. Otherwise how will you know that a low score was given because the reviewer didn't know about important mechanics integral to the enjoyment of the game or said the whole game was terrible because one part was too frustrating (both of these have happened on this sight and instantly lost the credibility of the two reviewers involved)...

I think Gamespot loses some credibility with the Trine 2 reviews. One reviewer gave it an 8.5 when it came out on PS3 and 360. When the same game came out with added content for the Wii U, someone who didn't enjoy the game reviewed it and gave it a 6.5. That's a huge descrepency in scores and I feel it improperly reflects the quality of the game. There is no consistency there.

Basically, Gamespot didn't need the whole game reviewed a second time. They just needed to state if it was a good port.

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

"Jeff Gerstmann, Editorial Director of the site, was fired on November 28, 2007. Immediately after his termination, rumors circulated proclaiming his dismissal was a result of external pressure from Eidos Interactive, the publisher of Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, which had purchased a considerable amount of advertising space on GameSpot's website. Gerstmann had previously given Kane & Lynch a fair or undesirable rating along with critique.Both GameSpot and parent company CNET stated that his dismissal was unrelated to the review, but due to corporate and legal constraints cannot reveal the reason. A month after Gerstmann's termination, freelance reviewer Frank Provo left GameSpot after eight years stating that 'I believe CNET management let Jeff go for all the wrong reasons. I believe CNET intends to soften the site's tone and push for higher scores to make advertisers happy.' In 2012, the non-disclosure agreements ended and it was confirmed that Gerstmann had been fired as a result of this review and other low scores assigned to games that had been advertised on the site."

- Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameSpot#Gerstmann_dismissal

Soooo not very..

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i don't pay attention to scores much, but reviews on GS will, generally, have a few useful points covering objective topics regarding the game (ie, bugs)
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

The last time I read one of their reviews is about 5 years ago. That's how credible I think they are.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#26 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

It depends on the reviewer it seems. There are some really good reviews on here but there are also some very poorly done ones as well. Sometimes both coming from the same reviwer who seemingly just felt different that time... Reading the content in the review is very important. Otherwise how will you know that a low score was given because the reviewer didn't know about important mechanics integral to the enjoyment of the game or said the whole game was terrible because one part was too frustrating (both of these have happened on this sight and instantly lost the credibility of the two reviewers involved)...

I think Gamespot loses some credibility with the Trine 2 reviews. One reviewer gave it an 8.5 when it came out on PS3 and 360. When the same game came out with added content for the Wii U, someone who didn't enjoy the game reviewed it and gave it a 6.5. That's a huge descrepency in scores and I feel it improperly reflects the quality of the game. There is no consistency there.

Basically, Gamespot didn't need the whole game reviewed a second time. They just needed to state if it was a good port.

Pikminmaniac

Yeah, I didn't get the necessity to completely re-review that game. 

Trine 2 for the Wii-U is one of the examples of Gamespot reviews that make me feel like false information was given. Carolyn says that it feels like "you stumble upon a makeshift solution that gets the job done rather than you cleverly worked out a challenging conundrum" and while she says that it shows her solving one of the puzzles. I have no idea what the hell she was trying to do in that video and I never encountered that problem. There was always a clear way to solve everything.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SupremeAC

Trine 2 for the Wii-U is one of the examples of Gamespot reviews that make me feel like false information was given. Carolyn says that it feels like "you stumble upon a makeshift solution that gets the job done rather than you cleverly worked out a challenging conundrum" and while she says that it shows her solving one of the puzzles. I have no idea what the hell she was trying to do in that video and I never encountered that problem. There was always a clear way to solve everything.

IndianaPwns39
Not on topic, but I agree with her. I bought Trine2 for WiiU, seeing as everyone seemed to hail it. Yes, it looks beautifull, but the gameplay is slow and dumb, and I've also circumvented a number of puzzles by just fooling around a bit and being able to traverse the area without actually solving the puzzle at hand. Worst WiiU purchase for me so far.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I'd say for the most part, yes.

Maybe they've reviewed some games highly that people have an extreme dislike towards or reviewed games lowly that people have an extreme like towards but I'd say from a non-bias perspective I don't see what discredits them from the rest of the websites out there.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SupremeAC

Maybe they've reviewed some games highly that people have an extreme dislike towards or reviewed games lowly that people have an extreme like towards but I'd say from a non-bias perspective I don't see what discredits them from the rest of the websites out there.

Goyoshi12
Carefull there, before you know it, we'll have a discussion on our hands if games journalism is little more then marketing in sheeps clothing.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

SupremeAC

Carefull there, before you know it, we'll have a discussion on our hands if games journalism is little more then marketing in sheeps clothing.

I guess, I just don't see what can discredit GameSpot from the rest. Yeah there was that Kane and Lynch fallout a while back but that was just one, granted, rather big incident but I don't know or haven't heard word of any other kind of fallout like that happen again. Besides, after Jeff was alievated from his duties quite a few other reviewers left the company as well and since we are talking about the reviewers and not just GameSpot as a whole I'd say that adds a little bit of bandage to the wounds.

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts
Sometimes they hit the nail on the head; sometimes they miss the target. Either way, I'm not fussed about something until I've had the chance to experience it. I take everything they say with a pinch of salt most of the times
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts
Obviously you should base all your purchasing decisions on GameSpot's reviews.