How can anyone really hate EA if all they do is just published games from the Developers?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

Personally, I don't hate EA the company themselves but I understand why gamers despised them. Looking at the upcoming game Anthem, all I seen from gamers is angry on the fact they look at it as just a typical EA title in the name which got me into asking this, do you really hate EA or just the developer attach to EA?

EA has been around for a long time. In short, they're huge, and I know they have a history of doing very dickish moves, but they Published the big AAA titles the gamers buy like Battlefield & Madden series.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

That's because publishers have huge impact on the deveolpers. They will give the money, they will choose how the game works for some degree. They will decide the business practice. For example, rushing to a stated release date without giving enough time to develope the game. Part of the reason that Dragon Age 2 was so bad is because EA rushed the release date and gave bioware only a year to make the game.

All those microtrasctions is also up to the publisher will, and less to the developer. People worry about Sekiro because Activison publish the game, despite it being From Software game. Activison still can do some shitty practice (in that case less, because in Japan the game has different publisher. But still)

Got it?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

A good publisher will let its developers make the games they want to make (within reason). that way the people working on the game will actually care about it and it'll result in a much better end product.

EA goes "hey, those loot games are popular, hey Bioware, lets drop the whole 'story driven action RPG' thing you guys are known for and make us a Destiny!"

I've been pretty patient/forgiving with EA... I even bought BFV last year since they got rid of Premium and I think that is a good move.

but Anthem seems so transparently like a Publisher forcing one of its studios to make a game they think will be the most profitable rather than the best game that studio could make, and even if it turns out to be a good loot game, it gives me the same slimey feeling that Destiny does, and I don't want to support that shit.

(for another example of EA doing this kind of thing, look at how they handled Visceral Games and the Dead Space series).

after years of defending EA and hoping they can turn things around, i'm finally ready to join the "**** EA" crowd. just **** em.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

That's like saying Hitler did nothing wrong because he ordered others to do it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

I speculate that the publisher-developer relationship between EA and whomever is very one-sided. EA says "jump", developer says "how high?"

Let's also not forget the amount of developers EA has closed over the years, at times even appearing to purchase these developers just to own their IP and shut them down (Westwood Studios, Bullfrog, etc).

In an ideal world, developers would always maintain their own autonomy and would be contracted by publishers. Their financial future would be in their own hands, not the publishers. It would be the publishers taking the gamble on the developer (the way it used to be), instead of the developer taking a gamble by signing up with a publishers (the way it is now).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

They push greedy business practices and kill good studios.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@yammireckorrdsan said:

That's because publishers have huge impact on the deveolpers. They will give the money, they will choose how the game works for some degree. They will decide the business practice. For example, rushing to a stated release date without giving enough time to develope the game. Part of the reason that Dragon Age 2 was so bad is because EA rushed the release date and gave bioware only a year to make the game.

All those microtrasctions is also up to the publisher will, and less to the developer. People worry about Sekiro because Activison publish the game, despite it being From Software game. Activison still can do some shitty practice (in that case less, because in Japan the game has different publisher. But still)

Got it?

I personally wasn't aware Sekiro is being published by Activision. I doubt Activision will do any harm to it if this is supposed to be a new IP they are publishing to.

@with_teeth26 said:

A good publisher will let its developers make the games they want to make (within reason). that way the people working on the game will actually care about it and it'll result in a much better end product.

EA goes "hey, those loot games are popular, hey Bioware, lets drop the whole 'story driven action RPG' thing you guys are known for and make us a Destiny!"

I've been pretty patient/forgiving with EA... I even bought BFV last year since they got rid of Premium and I think that is a good move.

but Anthem seems so transparently like a Publisher forcing one of its studios to make a game they think will be the most profitable rather than the best game that studio could make, and even if it turns out to be a good loot game, it gives me the same slimey feeling that Destiny does, and I don't want to support that shit.

(for another example of EA doing this kind of thing, look at how they handled Visceral Games and the Dead Space series).

after years of defending EA and hoping they can turn things around, i'm finally ready to join the "**** EA" crowd. just **** em.

That's fair, I wouldn't even buy the game if it wasn't part of Origin Premier cause it's kinda a free-2-play game for me with the Premier. I can tell you now, I wasn't impress that much from BFV, I expected so much more. I will say it's better then BF1 but not enough to get me playing it alot more then i was hoping for. I went back to BF4 and never look back.

I try to not spit on EA, but they have the games I really want to play even if it attach to EA's bad name.

@Black_Knight_00 said:

That's like saying Hitler did nothing wrong because he ordered others to do it.

Sometimes, I admire the guy. Is that bad of me saying that?

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Well they put lots of shitty microtransactions and killing lots of studios with Bioware is in their firing range right now. With many of its veterans already left the studio, Anthem could be the last game made by Bioware. My dumber side hopes that Anthem will succeed, avoiding being destroyed by EA but my smarter side really wants Anthem to fail which resulting of EA destroying Bioware. After that many talented programmers once worked in Bioware can form smaller independent studios which far from EA's grasps.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#10 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@davillain-:

EA if all they do is just published games from the Developers?

Is this an Anthem plead to try and support Bioware? I don't see any other reason why you would make such an odd claim.

Think you misunderstand that's not how the relationship between EA and any poor developer who falls in work with them transacts.

EA have heavy control over who work under the hood and even shape games purely to create a monopoly system. They don't want a great game, they want what they can feed the gullible.

Overall Just don't like the business practices they try and make standard in the industry. Also just think that they're living in a bubble and try to get away with whatever they can

I can’t speak for others, but I have my own view of things. I’ve worked for EA twice and would not rule out ever working for them again, though it is unlikely. I do take great issue with one aspect of their business practices, but before going to that, let me touch on some more visible things.

First, you may be better understand that in the same way Zynga famously said “we are not a game company, we’re a big data company”, EA is not a game company, they are publicly traded, profit making company. -Al Nelson

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-hate-Electronic-Arts-EA-so-much

The above is a former (twice employed) EA employee so should really speak volumes.

EA are hardly known for being customer friendly, and most the games people like from EA are from projects that began work outside the gate/ or was contracted before EA had majority creative control. If they can get in, publish a good game and get out before EA claw them in? More power to them_

It's also worth noting the game many use to defend EA (Battlefield) sales are down. Because many clicked that it's only getting worse and these are the same minds behind Battlefront II. And I think Fortnite and PUBG has taken many that fandom anyhow.

The only reason EA still exist is because they renew sports licencing deals (run the entire monopoly for themselves). If EA suddenly lost soccer and football official teams? they would see a huge spike. EA practically rely on the sport simulator microtransaction model.

So to put it simply I don't hate EA, I also don't hate people who support bad business and terrible products. After all, plenty of people watched The Last Jedi. I can only hope people be wise what they burn money on, but in truth it's not my place to judge.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@Yams1980: The loot box and other DLC things are probably something that get in the game very early on. There is a part where they talk about how the game will work and what the gamer will do etc ...

Just like Resident Evil 2 remake ... the costumes and guns avalaible for the Deluxe version were probably created a long time ago ... It wouldn't surprise me they event thought of putting Jill and Chris skin as DLC ...

EA also knows that their game don't live that long ... I'm sure the vast majority of people buying Battlefield, Madden or whatever they put a semi RPG element to the online part of the game but stupid long to level up and so they can sell the fast stuff etc... it is something that is into the creation of the game not once it is done ...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@RSM-HQ: Thanks for the clarification on EA situation. I should have explain it more about Anthem. When Anthem was first reveal, everyone was criticizing the game all because it's on EA brand. This is a Bioware game, I still like the developers despite they went downhill after joining EA, they still making cool games and I did enjoy Andromeda for what it's worth. I really try not thinking about EA, just the game itself I will judge if it's fun. I played Anthem Demo and I had fun, I like what I play but even though it's published by EA. I just think gamers are all over EA and I'm aware they do shady stuff and no, I'm not defending EA but going on hating them is getting way overboard in my point of view.

Edit: I really want to see Anthem doing well, Bioware really communicate with the fans, they are trying so hard to work the community and even though EA has bad rep on lootboxes but Bioware is trying to work with Cosmetics which I'm thankful for. I can work with Cosmetics in MP games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I hate EA for their business practices such as buying exclusive rights to the NFL license just to kill the far superior NFL 2K series instead of putting in the effort to make their own series better or removing online play from older versions of their games just to force us to buy the new one instead of putting in the effort to make the new one worth buying.

Some of that hatred might be lessened a bit if they were at least releasing some good games that I enjoy, but they haven't released a single game that I enjoyed since Fight Night Champion was released eight years ago.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain-: Bioware is really hoping for the best with Anthem, and they kind of need it.

Considering the developer have a healthy and passionate following I hope Anthem at least meets or exceeds EA sales estimate.

Will however not consider the product even if successful, I've been pretty vocal about a few Bioware products that fans have treated with high praise. And best leave it as that as I'm trying to come across as positive ツ

I however, think if Bioware do pull this off they need to look at doing what Bungie did and strip themselves from this out of touch and greedy publisher while they still can

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

To properly understand the current relationship between Bioware and EA you must first watch Weekend at Bernie's.

But Anthem will probably do okay because Destiny does, and at least from the demo, it's a pretty good attempt at the formula. Just throw in their combo system from Andromeda, add a dash of Ironman. It definitely does player customization better than Destiny - miles better -and even just in the demo there's way more variety to classes and class abilities. It still feels really bland and suffers from the same soullessness that Destiny does. But, like I said, if you like Destiny...

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

EA are the employers. They call the shots. The developers are just employees and like most employees, work better when given the freedom to work without meddling from higher ups who don't know the employee's job.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lembu90

@RSM-HQ: I really really hope that EA to kill Bioware right now so the programmers will either join better studious with better publishers or take their own indie paths. Although a new Dragon Age game have been announced not too long ago but I think Bioware have no more future left after Anthem's release. They would be spend too much time maintaining Anthem's servers for rest of this year and if EA keep them alive little longer, new Dragon Age game will be released in 2021 or 2022 for next-gen consoles.

Seriously Bioware need to be disbanded as most of its top-ranking members already left. The only salvation can ask for is their death.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@davillain- said:

Personally, I don't hate EA the company themselves but I understand why gamers despised them. Looking at the upcoming game Anthem, all I seen from gamers is angry on the fact they look at it as just a typical EA title in the name which got me into asking this, do you really hate EA or just the developer attach to EA?

EA has been around for a long time. In short, they're huge, and I know they have a history of doing very dickish moves, but they Published the big AAA titles the gamers buy like Battlefield & Madden series.

I don't detest EA like most of the video game community do. In fact, I do want to see "Anthem" succeed & not jump on the hate train. But, EA do things that makes gamers want to see them burn to the ground (online pass in last generation, closing studios, loot boxes, cutting ties to support games like Medal Of Honor 2012 couple of months after it's release back in 2012 & more). Oh, I almost forgot about microtransactions (despite the fact they're optional) as well.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RSM-HQ

@lembu90: While it would be great if it all worked that way this is EA. And as history has shown us with that publisher, that will never be. As Mark Hamill once said "You just can't get the band back together."

If EA close the doors on Bioware? they'll do what they did with Visceral Games and keep some, if not most the team on contract working on Battlefield maps for years to come. They made similar works of Westwood Studios, Bullfrog, and Criterion Games. And none of these companies went back to former glory and known IPs ravaged by EA. Best you can ask for is Anthem either be successful and Bioware leave with an agreement contract, or have a Dragon Age mobile game in ten years with a rap commercial after Bioware is disbanded

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@lembu90 said:

@RSM-HQ: I really really hope that EA to kill Bioware right now so the programmers will either join better studious with better publishers or take their own indie paths. Although a new Dragon Age game have been announced not too long ago but I think Bioware have no more future left after Anthem's release. They would be spend too much time maintaining Anthem's servers for rest of this year and if EA keep them alive little longer, new Dragon Age game will be released in 2021 or 2022 for next-gen consoles.

Seriously Bioware need to be disbanded as most of its top-ranking members already left. The only salvation can ask for is their death.

That's a little harsh. I still favor Bioware and while most of the top writers are gone, I don't want to see any company go without a back up job, but I would love seeing Bioware do what Bungie did to Activision if that was easier for them to do. Whatever EA Contract they sign to agree with, I don't see Bioware going anywhere anytime soon.

@BigCat2K20 said:

I don't detest EA like most of the video game community do. In fact, I do want to see "Anthem" succeed & not jump on the hate train. But, EA do things that makes gamers want to see them burn to the ground (online pass in last generation, closing studios, loot boxes, cutting ties to support games like Medal Of Honor 2012 couple of months after it's release back in 2012 & more). Oh, I almost forgot about microtransactions (despite the fact they're optional) as well.

I try to be open minded on the games then what brand it is on. EA isn't my favorite, but they hardly rub me the wrong way if the game itself is good of course.

british_accent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 british_accent
Member since 2019 • 14 Posts

Good publisher takes care of gamers - that is my opinion. What is taking care? That is publishing high-quality games, not the ones which may be popular and will help to make more money. I know it's almost utopia in our cruel world, but let's be honest - good publisher prefers making gamers happy, not making money.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@davillain-: That's a little harsh. I still favor Bioware and while most of the top writers are gone, I don't want to see any company go without a back up job, but I would love seeing Bioware do what Bungie did to Activision if that was easier for them to do. Whatever EA Contract they sign to agree with, I don't see Bioware going anywhere anytime soon.

it's not really a contract. The BioWare and Pandemic partnership was handled by a private equity fund headed by John Ricietello. When Ricietello became the CEO of EA, he bought the investment from that fund, thus taking ownership of Bioware/Pandemic for EA. BioWare just got to keep its name above the door. It's not like Bungie which only had a temporary deal for a select amount of titles over a 10 year span.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

They fund the game and decide the deadlines. Not too much different from the old days of record labels and bands.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: yup! You nailed it. EA is the Hitler of game publishing.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Industry parasite....

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Why hate EA?

Maxis - Kill

Mythic Entertainment - Double kill

Bullfrog Productions - Mega Kill

Origin Systems - Ultra Kill

Westwood Studios - Monster Kill

DreamWorks Interactive - Killing Spree

Phenomic - Rampage

Black Box Games - Dominating

Pandemic - Unstoppable

Doerevolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Doerevolt
Member since 2019 • 41 Posts

But the question is why developers keep going to EA. Because EA is one the biggest name in the industry as we can see with APEX LEGEND EA manage to get it players base to few millions in a matter of 4 days.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts
@doerevolt said:

But the question is why developers keep going to EA.

Probably to get physical copies made and for marketing.

Two things that are largely unimportant in the age of the internet, especially if you are a big-name developer.

Publishers are quickly becoming obsolete, but will likely hang on as long as they still have IP to ruin.

Doerevolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Doerevolt

@pyro1245 said:
@doerevolt said:

But the question is why developers keep going to EA.

Probably to get physical copies made and for marketing.

But aren't we already in digital age new online store coming every day Steam, battle.net , Origins and now Epic games so plus Psn network and xbox live

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts
@doerevolt said:

But the question is why developers keep going to EA. Because EA is one the biggest name in the industry as we can see with APEX LEGEND EA manage to get it players base to few millions in a matter of 4 days.

Yeah, just before Anthem release, which will hurt it's sales and EA will then blame and close down BioWare because of it.

Doerevolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Doerevolt
@rmpumper said:
@doerevolt said:

Yeah, just before Anthem release, which will hurt it's sales and EA will them blame and close down BioWare because of it.

EA is killing its own game, Launching a paid and free game in the same month and except the paid game to work. Plus Anthem latest gameplay doesn't look so good to me

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's simple. EA doesn't "just" publish games from the developers

They own these developers. In some cases, they've bought mediocre talent, resulting in mediocre games; in other cases they've bought good talent and then implemented unsavory monetization schemes and distribution choices that gives those talents a mediocre name.

Many of these developer talents likely just want to pay their bills and get through their day. Some of them might not care about doing a good job, but many probably do and sometimes might even prefer to work on something else more creatively stimulating if given a choice. But it's one big organism, and the individuals don't call the shots. So it doesn't make as much sense as it might seem to say "publisher fine, talent bad"

I'd speculate it is rather unusual for a publisher that also owns the studio to put no pressure or "guidance" on their studio for the work it wants to publish. Sony and MS sometimes boast about doing so, but in reality they probably rarely live up to that promise too.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lembu90

EA is making tons of bucks with Apex Legends, an Overwatch clone. It's look like they will kill Respawn after Bioware.

As for Bioware, Anthem flopped and EA have no choice but to kill Bioware and remaining staffs are forced to maintain the servers.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Gamers are one of the most sheepish community’s out there. 3 morons on Reddit decided to call EA the worst company in America, and without reasoning, they went viral and now it’s been repeated by every gamer with a forum account. Most of them don’t even know why - they heard it somewhere so it must be fact. EA doesn’t do anything any other corporation their size does. Yet gamers overlook everyone else because so-and-so hasn’t gone viral yet.

I’m embarrassed for the gaming community.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RSM-HQ
@Sevenizz said:

Gamers are one of the most sheepish community’s out there. 3 morons on Reddit decided to call EA the worst company in America, and without reasoning

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

They shut down many great studios, that is why I hate EA

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sevenizz

@RSM-HQ: I rest my case...

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sevenizz

@Enragedhydra: So? Every publisher does too. Why would you carry dead weight?

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Enragedhydra

@Sevenizz said:

@Enragedhydra: So? Every publisher does too. Why would you carry dead weight?

A lot of people don't think that Visceral Games, Westwood, and Bullfrog were bad publishers. There is more than just those 3.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sevenizz

@Enragedhydra: Right, they’re going to cut loose a profitable developer just out of spite, right?

Wrong! You can’t keep a developer who doesn’t bring in the money. Gaming is a business, not a charity.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Enragedhydra

@Sevenizz said:

@Enragedhydra: Right, they’re going to cut loose a profitable developer just out of spite, right?

Wrong! You can’t keep a developer who doesn’t bring in the money. Gaming is a business, not a charity.

As we have seen, publishers are more than willing to not listen to customers even at the cost of losing money. I mean look at Sony's IPs, how much money do you think they lose by staying exclusive and not porting games to PC? Warner Brother's just recently didn't listen to customers and I think it will cost them, I think Deep Silver's sales will suffer as well. Look at what happened when EA said "Don't like it, don't buy it. Publishers have a history of making stupid decisions.