How can a high school senior make fighting games seem cool to elementary school kids?

hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By hd_hammah_17
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

At the K-12 youth center that I frequent, there's an Xbox 360 room and most of the kids (boys and girls) are only into split-screen multiplayer on either Call of Duty: World at War or Halo Reach, and never wanna play anything else (even their other Call of Duty games). I liked these games a lot and this normally wouldn't bug me so much, but it gets really freaking boring only playing those same games all the time. They have Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe & Injustice: Gods Among Us, which are arcade-style fighting games, but NONE of the kids over there ever wanna play them; they all think they're junk. Occasionally, if I'm the only one playing, I can find someone to play MK or IJ with me, but when there are more than like 3 people, it's WAW or Reach only. How can I get them to believe that those other games are cool and worth playing a lot so that the monotony of same-game-all-day is broken?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 21633 Posts

Playing Mortal Kombat with elementary school kids? Doesn't sound like this youth center is running a particularly tight ship.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45040 Posts

Find something a bit easier and less technical to play?

Not saying kids are dumb, but CoD is a pretty dumb and easy game to play, whereas those fighting games have very complex moves, combos, and other mechanics. It just might not be worth the effort to learn something more complex when you have CoD in front of you.

Or better yet, show up with some LEGOs or physical, tangible toys to play with. Maybe some colored pencils, paint, and paper. Books. Badminton gear. Action figures and dolls. Have a paper airplane contest. Work on a puzzle. Play boardgames. See if you can get some computers donated so if you absolutely have to play a game, you can pick a smart one or an educational one.

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Playing Mortal Kombat with elementary school kids? Doesn't sound like this youth center is running a particularly tight ship.

No it does not.

I'd be furious if I picked my niece up from there and found out she had been playing video games at all, much less Mortal Kombat. Way too young to be establishing that dopamine-reward mechanic in a person.

I don't want to come off as a prude but I have to admit I am not really all that stoked kids are playing violent games at a youth center. It's not so much I care they are playing violent games, I just think that should be a decision their folks make, not some public servant or volunteer worker.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36496 Posts

Most kids (and man-babies) like Dragoball, it's probably the one of, if not the most popular anime in the West.

It has a very popular and deliberately accessible fighting game out.

Loading Video...

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Black_Knight_00
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

No it does not.

I'd be furious if I picked my niece up from there and found out she had been playing video games at all, much less Mortal Kombat. Way too young to be establishing that dopamine-reward mechanic in a person.

I don't want to come off as a prude but I have to admit I am not really all that stoked kids are playing violent games at a youth center. It's not so much I care they are playing violent games, I just think that should be a decision their folks make, not some public servant or volunteer worker.

Pretty much, and if this place is in the US that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. All it takes is one little kid going home traumatized by a MK fatality and you've got grounds to sue for emotional distress, possibly even a minor class action. Especially if they can prove that the staff actively tried to make the kids play the game in question (which is what this thread is about). It's not like there isn't fairly similar precedent and even more precedent.

This is simply irresponsible on a number of levels, ranging from child care to personal interest. My advice to the OP would be to desist from this idea most ricky-tick.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5238 Posts

@hd_hammah_17: Tell the kids the game has been borked. Viola! New game, kids!

hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hd_hammah_17

@Black_Knight_00: This is in Hawaii, in case you wanted to know. Also, I'm not a staff member, I'm just a semi-regular visitor. Any kid in kindergarten through 12th grade can come to hang out at this place. This is their Xbox 360, and they bought all these games. The room is always filled with mostly elementary or occasionally middle school kids, and they've no problem playing these games. Also, the place does have Injustice: GAU as well, which is nowhere near as bad as Mortal Kombat.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup
@mrbojangles25 said:

No it does not.

I'd be furious as well, mainly because they can playing much better fighting games.

Feel bad for kids who grew up on MK I/III and not SFII.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 614 Posts

Call of Duty and Halo are for kids. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are for grown ups.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00
@hd_hammah_17 said:

@Black_Knight_00: This is in Hawaii, in case you wanted to know. Also, I'm not a staff member, I'm just a semi-regular visitor. Any kid in kindergarten through 12th grade can come to hang out at this place. This is their Xbox 360, and they bought all these games. The room is always filled with mostly elementary or occasionally middle school kids, and they've no problem playing these games. Also, the place does have Injustice: GAU as well, which is nowhere near as bad as Mortal Kombat.

All right, I guess you're off the hook, but the risk of a child being traumatized by a gory fatality is still there. I really wish people who run these youth centers were not boomers who just pick out some games at random cause they don't know Mortal Kombat from Banjo Kazooie. Violent games are rated M for a reason, they have no business being given to small children, and I don't care if most people on Call of Duty are children: 100 wrongs don't make a right.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jeezers  Online
Member since 2007 • 3676 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: kids know they are just video games its not that big of a deal, personally I think its cool, when I was a kid id go to a center after school to wait to get picked up, we were playing time splitters, tekken and golden eye, its all the same.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeezers  Online

@hd_hammah_17: Get tekken tagtournament 2 for them, great fighting game that supports up to 4 players at once. That one could hook them I think, especially by having teams

hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hd_hammah_17

@Black_Knight_00: These are 20-somethings who were in K-12 school the same time as I was, minus the manager.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Black_Knight_00
@jeezers said:

@Black_Knight_00: kids know they are just video games its not that big of a deal, personally I think its cool, when I was a kid id go to a center after school to wait to get picked up, we were playing time splitters, tekken and golden eye, its all the same.

Kids should not be given M rated games, period. They are rated M for a reason. "Games are all the same" is simply not true just like "movies are all the same" isn't.

And while we're at it, children are not all the same either: one kid might shrug off seeing a gory fatality knowing "it's just a game", another might be traumatized by it, especially as graphics become more and more photorealistic. It can even cause post-traumatic stress disorder in particularly vulnerable subjects.

Why take the risk?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeezers  Online

@Black_Knight_00: let the kids play injustice and let them climb trees and let them scrape knees on pavement. Kids are tuff, I'm not saying let all kids play gta5 all day, but somethings get a pass. A couple games at an after school center is fine.

Marvel vs DC is teen, injustice isnt that bad, sounds like these kids would rather play cod and halo anyway. Its no more harming than if they watch die hard or rocky.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00
@jeezers said:

@Black_Knight_00: let the kids play injustice and let them climb trees and let them scrape knees on pavement. Kids are tuff, I'm not saying let all kids play gta5 all day, but somethings get a pass. A couple games at an after school center is fine.

Marvel vs DC is teen, injustice isnt that bad, sounds like these kids would rather play cod and halo anyway. Its no more harming than if they watch die hard or rocky.

Exactly: my issue is with M rated games being made available to children. T rated games are fine.

Fractured_Veil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fractured_Veil
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

Try making a tournament out of it, crowning a weekly winner. You could also have them choose a different character each week to see who's the best at playing "X".

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24828 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@hd_hammah_17 said:

All right, I guess you're off the hook, but the risk of a child being traumatized by a gory fatality is still there.

Haha, omg.

Kids don't get traumatized by that. It's a game. Overprotective people are the worst. How about showing your child the world instead of acting like it doesn't exist? Preparing your child for the world isn't bad - It's good.

"Kids can't see blood. Kids can't see boobs. Kids can't see this and that, they will become traumatized or satanists." This fucking nonsense needs to die, fast. Should've died 40-ish years ago, when it was first brought up with DnD.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Litchie: The mother of all strawmen there: I mentioned ultraviolence and shock value media being potentially traumatizing for small children (which they are) and you went on a tirade about titties and satanism. What? Don't put words in my mouth dude.

Also showing a 6 year-old people getting their spine ripped out in slow motion in a fountain of blood is "preparing them for the world"? What world are you living in that small children need to see that to be prepared for it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup
@Litchie said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:
@hd_hammah_17 said:

All right, I guess you're off the hook, but the risk of a child being traumatized by a gory fatality is still there.

Haha, omg.

Kids don't get traumatized by that. It's a game. Overprotective people are the worst. How about showing your child the world instead of acting like it doesn't exist? Preparing your child for the world isn't bad - It's good.

"Kids can't see blood. Kids can't see boobs. Kids can't see this and that, they will become traumatized or satanists." This fucking nonsense needs to die, fast. Should've died 40-ish years ago, when it was first brought up with DnD.

Partially agree with him, at least if you've got a 6 year old kid, it's too young to be playing something graphic like Mortal Kombat imo.

Having said that, I think at about 12-13, you're generally alright to watch Robocop, Starship Troopers, play Mortal Kombat, Doom etc... Pretty much the norm for us over there when we were kids. R rated movies marketing toys towards kids, they knew dam well they were watching them.

The game isn't good either way, blood and guts was really it's only stand-out feature, and with Netherrealm, it became an decent attempt at story-telling with what was effectively a 2-3 movie.

Gameplay department is a mess and not a good starting for young people. Stuff right down to the animations do a terrible job of communicating information to the player.

-

This shits way off topic now, but for young kids their are plenty of better options.

Aside from DBZF, the most obvious jumping point is SFV.

All fighting games are derived in some form from Ryu in one way or another. If you want to learn how to play from 0, he's the character to learn as a spring board.

Originally launched a mess, the Arcade Edition now features extensive tutorials, with a large roster that should appeal to any play-style.

Combine it with some youtubes as well, even kids should be able to understand it, not complicated when explained straight-forward, get them beyond mashing button and spamming out special moves to appreciate them on a more meaningful level.

Loading Video...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24828 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I see where you come from, but I still think children being traumatized by videogames is just pure bullshit.

There is probably a few selected cases from decades ago that some people advocating for the dangers of violence in movies or games still likes to bring up, and maybe a combination of shitty parenting and a really disgusting videogame can get children confused. But I still think letting a normal 6 year old try out Mortal Kombat has no real, lasting negative effect, unless the kid has other problems or shitty parents. The child might find it scary and not want to play anymore, that's about it.

I'm not saying you should make 6 year olds play Mortal Kombat or sway them to other violent things, but if I had a 6 year old who was very interested in it, I'd show him the game and teach him that it isn't dangerous, like a good parent should.

I remember watching Jurrassic Park when I was 5 years old. Thought it was scary as hell and closed my eyes at some parts. Was I even close to traumatized, or thought it was real? No. My parents thought it was funny when I was scared, which in turn reassured me it wasn't dangerous. That's good parenting, as it learned me to not be a scared little wimp and made it easier for me to enjoy other "scary" things. Played a shitload of DOOM and Quake as a child as well, no problems. I grew up to be a person who detest real violence and feels bad when killing a fly.

Most parents today? Acting like violence (for example. Nude humans are apparently also extremely dangerous for children to see) doesn't exist, thinking they're shielding their children. When the child later, unprepared for the existence of violence, sees violence and has no idea how to react, that's when they can get confused or traumatized.

My two cents.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5238 Posts

Bring back Oregon Trail. Gaming history lesson of the day!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00
@Litchie said:

Most parents today? Acting like violence (for example. Nude humans are apparently also extremely dangerous for children to see) doesn't exist, thinking they're shielding their children. When the child later, unprepared for the existence of violence, sees violence and has no idea how to react, that's when they can get confused or traumatized.

My two cents.

Who are these "most parents" who are so overprotective of their kids? The reality is much different: most parents don't supervise what their kids do in any significant way, which results in them being desensitized to violence and suffer emotional distress or even trauma in particularly vulnerable cases.

And that black and white thinking: surely you realize there is middle ground between prohibiting all sorts of violent media like you are implying and allowing small children to consume shock value ultraviolence. Again I have to ask: how exactly is that kind of content helpful in giving a small child a balanced view of the world?