How awesome could this have been? Megaman FPS!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter In 2010, Capcom tapped the talent behind Metroid Prime to bring Mega Man into the modern age only to have the game suffer the fate of similar recent attempts to find a new audience for the 8-bit hero. Codenamed Maverick Hunter, the first-person shooter had the blessing of Mega Man's creator and a talented team tasked with attracting a new generation of fans. But the departure of Keiji Inafune likely killed the most interesting take on the 25-year-old character to date. Mega Man's foray into the first-person shooter genre looked, at least on paper, like a formula for success. One of a handful of collaborations with Western developers kicked off by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man first-person shooter was in development at Austin-based Armature Studio, the promising developer founded by Metroid Prime's creators. The new Mega Man would have been redesigned by the concept artist responsible for adapting Iron Man's armor for Marvel's successful film franchise. Thematically, the game would have built upon the mythology of Mega Man X, a series that was a darker, more mature spin-off of the cuter, classic Mega Man franchise.
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

There's already Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch which was an online quake style shooter themed after Megaman. The community is dead but it was fun as hell when people still played it.

Someone on /v/ still occasionally makes a thread and gets some games together, and their Steam group is usually good for a few games.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Nothing good ever gets made anymore. It is all just the same old rehashed garbage. This game should have been made and it would have been AWESOME!

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

Not even remotely.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

At first I thought "not at all" but then saw it was to be done by the guys who made Metroid Prime and they had an entire trilogy planned. There's also some gameplay footage on IGN and it looked really interesting.

Stupid, stupid Capcom.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

pitty.. Sounded interesting

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I suspect a dark, gritty FPS starring Megaman would have drown in the sea of dark, gritty shooters.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I suspect a dark, gritty FPS starring Megaman would have drown in the sea of dark, gritty shooters. CarnageHeart

Gameplay vids looked fast and colorful.

Probably would have stood out, if anything.

I also enjoyed the look of Megaman. Shame this'll never see the light of day.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#9 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

In the style of Metroid Prime, I could see a Megaman fps working. Working quite well, actually. But I would still prefer the classic sidescrollers; just because there is potential to branch a game into another genre doesn't mean it should happen.