Horror game genre

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@ashbee said:

@mitu123 said:

Ashbee, I did not know you were into horror games a lot.=O

I adore them. What is sad is that I can't hardly play them, haha. I often make somebody else do it or I'll play in 20 minute intervals. It took me months and months to beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent this way.

Sounds like my kind of game.=p Well I have no fear in playing them, just when I'm about to die that's when I do get scared since dying sucks in those games, lol.

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Ashbee
Member since 2015 • 383 Posts

@mitu123 said:

@ashbee said:

@mitu123 said:

I adore them. What is sad is that I can't hardly play them, haha. I often make somebody else do it or I'll play in 20 minute intervals. It took me months and months to beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent this way.

Sounds like my kind of game.=p Well I have no fear in playing them, just when I'm about to die that's when I do get scared since dying sucks in those games, lol.

If you haven't played that game, you absolutely must. If you want to go old school and in order start with the Penumbra series and then hit Amnesia. Sadly Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs wasn't made by the same people and isn't as good as the others, so you can take or leave that one.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mitu123

@ashbee said:

@mitu123 said:

@ashbee said:

@mitu123 said:

If you haven't played that game, you absolutely must. If you want to go old school and in order start with the Penumbra series and then hit Amnesia. Sadly Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs wasn't made by the same people and isn't as good as the others, so you can take or leave that one.

Since I heard it's one of the scariest games out there, I should stop being lazy and go and try it someday! Yeah I heard about the Penumbra series.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Byshop:

Then President Evil 5 is even better....... twas essentially a copy pasted version of 4 but with Co-Op.... and minor improvements to the gameplay mechanics like the abilty to slow strafe..... hot swappable weapons and items...and alternate control layouts.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: You're welcome to your opinion that RE5 was better than RE4, but it's a minority opinion.

@ashbee: Yeah, Pork Machine didn't quite capture the same magic as the first one. I haven't beaten it yet but it really didn't suck me in like Amensia. The lack of voiceover for journals and notes, the far less interactive environments, etc.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lulu_Lulu

@Byshop:

Most valid oppinions in this community are usually the minority...

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Ashbee

@Byshop: It was made by different folk so I'm not surprised. I'm still going to play it though, it's in my library collecting dust.

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#58 Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

Outlast. Silent Hill. Amnesia.

Also, P.T is free, so it's worth a try, although it's a very small game.

And Silent Hills is coming out soon - well, not that soon - and it looks good.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Byshop  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu: Yes, RE5 removed all those pesky "thinky" bits that some people hate so much. To each is own.

@ashbee: Yeah. I mean it's not a bad game but I haven't been compelled to beat it yet. Certainly a lot better than a lot of other "horror" games out there.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lulu_Lulu

@Byshop:

What tinky bits ? The only thing people seem to hate is change.... good, bad or comparable if one tiny thing changes they go ape sh!t and cry bloody murder.

Ashbee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Ashbee

@Byshop: Agreed. The horror genre needs our support!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mitu123

I hope Until Dawn on PS4 turns out well, suppose to be coming this summer.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@ashbee: Yeah, thankfully the massive influx of indie titles is starting to give this underloved genre a much needed revitilization. I may not be a huge fan of a jump-scare heavy game like Outlast but it's a hell of a lot better than an FPS with monsters.

@mitu123: I totally forgot about that one.

-Byshop

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By matt2790
Member since 2014 • 184 Posts

@Byshop: Well my CV is not that long as yours. I remember Galerians, I was loving it but coulnd't finish it as it got bugged at some point at the child's house. Neither Hounting Ground because some thieve broke in and stole my PS2 :(

About RE4, well, It was not what we all were expecting for a 6th gen RE, but it was an amazing game though it was not scary at all. I think it wasn't a survival horror, but it was a survival anyway

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

Speaking Of Which... after the action packed President Evil 6..... Capcom will come out with Revelations 2..... Still Co-Op but quite a few differences.... the biggest being the asymmetry between the roles of the Playable Characters..... one wield's the gun and the other does not (hopefully this remains consistent throughout the entire game).

Personally I'm excited.... this is the only the fourth game to meet my specific Criteria.... Asymmetric and Co dependent Local Co-Op.... preferably with puzzles.

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By matt2790

@Lulu_Lulu: Te be honest, the going down of this saga since RE6, (both RE6 and Operation Raccon City was mehh) made me lose interest for this saga.. Let's just hope this bring some creepy stuff and puzzles again..

I have to give credits to this saga anyway, because despite of the lack of horror and stuff, it always kept supporting local co-op, which is something I really appreciate

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

Damn Straight..... such a rare thing in this Day and Age..... I wonder who is this guy in Capcom who insists on keeping that feature ?.....

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By matt2790

@Lulu_Lulu: I don't know.. but I hope he remains there for a long time, I like to play with my girlfriend and we are not going to buy another console just to play co-op.. online multiplayer and local co-op is possible, and RE has demonstrated it pretty good

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

You know whats funny..... I'm the number one advocate for local Co-Op.... but I have nobody to play with.... I'm hoping one of these days I can peel my sister away from her phone and introduce her into some real gaming.....

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 matt2790

@Lulu_Lulu: Me too, but at least you have a sister. How old is she? I'm the only son and always enjoyed playing with friends, but local co-op with friends is not the same. Co-ops are perfectly to play with a brother/sister. You should take the chance you have anyway..

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

Shes 29.... shes my older sister.

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 matt2790

@Lulu_Lulu: Oh.. :/ So good like with that then.. lol

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

LoL... I got her to play Gears once.... I know I can reel her in with the right Co-Op game....

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 matt2790

@Lulu_Lulu: I got my ex to play RE6 with me. At the beginning she was a total mess (same AI as the cpu companion lol) with 30% of shooting accuracy. By the end of the game she had progressed a lot, reaching a 65% of accuracy..

Made me feel so proud..

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

Thats so cool.....I want that.... :(

I suppose I could trick her... if only I got MGS V Ground Zeroes....

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 matt2790

@Lulu_Lulu: What? I didn't know GZ supported local mp :|

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Lulu_Lulu

@matt2790:

LOL... it doesn't..... what it does have.... is a companion app for android phones..... I think thats the best way to spark her interests....

If you're interested in Split screen Stealth Games then Splinter Cell Blacklist is a god send..... I will have that game soon....

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Byshop  Moderator

@matt2790 said:

@Lulu_Lulu: Te be honest, the going down of this saga since RE6, (both RE6 and Operation Raccon City was mehh) made me lose interest for this saga.. Let's just hope this bring some creepy stuff and puzzles again..

I have to give credits to this saga anyway, because despite of the lack of horror and stuff, it always kept supporting local co-op, which is something I really appreciate

RE6 was ok at best but ORC was just terrible. To be fair, though, that game was also a big departure from the normal series but yeah it was just a mess. The last RE game I really put a lot of effort into playing co-op was Outbreak 1 and 2. Yes, I bought two PS2s (with HDD) and two copies of the game, then I used a "side by side" version of PiP on my widescreen TV to play both PS2s at the same time splitscreen.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Lulu_Lulu

@Byshop:

Thats some hardcore dedication.... :o

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#81 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Horror games just don't sell copies; they are the ultimate rental. It will never be scary twice. The first playthrough is key. Also, Alien Isolation was annoying as **** and about 20 hours too long. Evil Within was alright, but it's just an RE4 clone. Best horror thing to come out recently was the PT demo.

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By matt2790

@Byshop: ORC was a game I bought and tried so hard to play it (despite how bad it was), just for nostalgy, I said OMG! It's Raccon City, it must be a good game then.. I was so fool. So at some point I realized how bad the game was and never touched it again.

Outbreak: Only played the first one, played it for 1 hour.. enough to realize I didn't like it quite a bit

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@matt2790:

LOL... it doesn't..... what it does have.... is a companion app for android phones..... I think thats the best way to spark her interests....

If you're interested in Split screen Stealth Games then Splinter Cell Blacklist is a god send..... I will have that game soon....

I had no idea of that. Though I'm a big fan of MGS I haven't played GZ yet due to several reasons.. one of them: I'm saving up for a PS4 so I'm not buying many PS3 games, I'm just buying the ones I need to and not those which I will be able to play later on the PS4. So I'm only buying somes specifically games and saving the rest for the console, which is so hard for me to get since here in Uruguay, prices are extremely high (760 bucks).

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Byshop  Moderator
@matt2790 said:

@Byshop: ORC was a game I bought and tried so hard to play it (despite how bad it was), just for nostalgy, I said OMG! It's Raccon City, it must be a good game then.. I was so fool. So at some point I realized how bad the game was and never touched it again.

Outbreak: Only played the first one, played it for 1 hour.. enough to realize I didn't like it quite a bit

Same here for ORC. I wasted only a few hours but it was pretty immediately obvious how bad that game was.

Regarding Outbreak, I'm not claiming it was a good game (note it was nowhere on my list) but it had some cool ideas. No voice chat and forcing you to talk -through- your characters pissed everyone off but it was very effective at maintaining atmosphere. The only problem was that you only had like 6 things to say which was not nearly enough so communication with other players was basically broken and several things in the game required teamwork. Also, like most multiplayer focused games it sucked when playing single player because your AI partners were braindead.

However, the way -we- played it was awesome. That's when I had a roomate and she liked RE games as much as me (we played every previous RE together). We beat all five "files" on Outbreak 1 and all but the last one on Outbreak 2.

One more game I forgot to mention: Silent Hill Shattered Memories for the Wii. It's counterintuative but that game was actually really cool. The game had multiple endings that were determined by your overall behavior as you played rather than any binary choices, much like Silent Hill 2. Not the scariest SH game by far, but atmospheric and the way the Wii controller was used was clever. The Wiimote doubled as your flashlight and cell phone, plus you use the Wiimote to manipulate puzzles. There were a few times that I jumped because I was walking in the dark and suddenly the "phone" in my hand rang. I hit the button and held it up to my ear and a voice comes out the speaker in the controller. Little touches like that in the game were pretty awesome, and the play experience changes in some pretty significant ways depending on your actions. Unfortunately, the best version of the game is on the Wii so unless you have one good luck playing it. I heard the PS2 port was decent but I imagine that it would lose something without those cool little Wii touches.

-Byshop

wittyplot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 wittyplot
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I remember playing Nocture some years ago. It was not a very well made game, but it would be a great movie. It was scary.
One that came to my mind was Alien vs Predator - the first one had some cool stressful situations

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Byshop  Moderator

@wittyplot: Nocturne was the first of the Shin Megami Tensei games. While many of the games that later came out of that formula were awesome, Nocturne had its fair share of design issues (random battles, long distances between saves, game over if main character is knocked out, and a combat system based on elemental damage and extra turns where an enemy could get the initiative and kill your main character before you even get a turn). Later games like the Digital Devil Saga games and Persona 3 and 4 greatly refined this formula and were awesome games, but I never could get around to beating Nocturne because it was just too frustrating.

I agree about the general atmosphere of the game, though. A few other RPGs had great music and backdrops that lent themselves well to horror, even if the games themselves didn't feel like horror (it's hard to get "horror" with an RPG, where actual peril to the characters is slow and calculated).

-Byshop