Holy Heart-Failure, Batman! Arkham Asylum, Screen Update*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

It seems that the success of the Dark Knight, and of Frank Miller's intrepretation of the darkest caped crusader in the business have rubbed off on game developer's vision of the superhero. To say that I am excited for this new Batman game would be an understatement, I am utterly ecstatic. The scans are circulating right now, and I have to tell you that I have never been more tempted to post them and just totally eat my suspension or whatever the penalty would be...The game looks that good, and I feel like you really should see it for yourself, do the words Bioshock good mean anything to any of you. Artistically speaking there has never been a Batman game that looks as dark or as gritty as this one.

Some Details, stolen from slashgamer (Don't even ask):

Sefton Hill the director of the game said:

"There are a lot of supervillains in this game. This is the first Batman game where you're going to get to see and fight against all of the big supervillains, and they're going to be represented in a way you've never seen before."

"If you look at a stealth game, it's about being weak and hiding…this is about being in a strong positions and them not knowing where you are. It's a very different fell. Predator gameplay we call it. Picking of the weak people."

Game Informer also went on to mention they received a hint about the possibility of playing as a villain such as the Joker, but as of now it's being kept a secret a little longer.

Now I know what you're thinking, Game Informer hypes up everyone one of the exclusive previews it gets, but I have to tell you this game feels legit even when I try to remain objective. It is giving me the same feeling that Dead Space gave me, when it first revealed in Game Informer long ago.

The Official Statement from Warner Bros. and Eidos:

We, on behalf of DC Comics announce Batman: Arkham Asylum a dark, action packed videogame adventure for Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system and Games for Windows in 2009.

In Batman: Arkham Asylum, developed by Rocksteady Studios, the player assumes the role of Batman as he delivers The Joker to Arkham Asylum. There, the imprisoned super-villains have set a trap and an immersive combat gaming experience unfolds. With an original script penned by Emmy Award-winning Batman writer Paul Dini, the game brings the universe of DC Comics' detective to life with stunning graphics.

"In Batman: Arkham Asylum Eidos and Warner Bros. are building a true action adventure game experience worthy of gamers and fans," said Phil Rogers, CEO of Eidos Interactive. "Players become Batman, like he has never been seen before in a video game, as he fights through intense circumstances in Arkham Asylum utilizing his intuitive detective skills and aggressive melee attacks."

"Batman: Arkham Asylum offers players the chance to battle Gotham's worst villains with Batman's physical and psychological strength in a graphically distinct and story-driven game," said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "We look forward to working with Eidos on expanding DC Comics' world-renowned character Batman in the game space with a noticeably different feature set in an incredibly dark interactive environment."

Eidos Interactive and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will co-publish Batman: Arkham Asylum in North America, Eidos Interactive will publish the game in all other territories.

Details Stolen From ShackNews:

1 Player Action Game, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Publisher: Eidos

Developer: Rocksteady Sudios

Release: 2009

- Clever choice of location moves the game away from an open world Spider-Man clone and more into the dark and gritty realm of The Chronicles of Riddick.

- Packed with Batman's most dangerous archenemies Arkham Asylum boasts a brand new story reminiscent of the depth and twists of Bioshock

- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

- Wildstorm is crafting the authentic yet distinct new look for all the key characters

- Gameplay places just as much focus on Batman's role as a detective as his combat prowess.

- Game isn't being rushed to tie in with any TV/Film marketing cycles.

- Game runs on Unreal Engine 3

- Most of the game is played through an over-the-shoulder perspective

- You're going to see and get to fight against all the big super villains. Seen so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Zsasz, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and others the magazine doesn't want to spoil.

- Allies revealed so far are Commissioner Gordon who plays a big role and Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle) who is your radio contact in the game.

- Game opens with the Joker surrendering himself and subsequently taking over Arkham because of some secret the facility holds

- Magazine teases that this game will be the ultimate Batman experience so the voice cast will reflect that (Think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill).

- Arkham was chosen as a location because of its limitations including the fact that it's an island prison. It's a persistent location so you can visit any location at anytime including Batman's secret on site Bat Cave etc. Don't think that just because this is an island prison there will only be small hallways. The developers have taken into account all the construction/destruction of the facility over the years so locals will vary.

- Eidos' Batman license includes all 70 years of comic book fiction so they're pulling from all of that.

COMBAT

- Boss Battles won't necessarily be a series of straight pugilistic fights. Each enemy represents a different side of Batman and not all of them can match his wide skill set. Some battles are focused on combat others will focus on gadgets some are similar to giant Zelda ****bosses.

- Combat description in the magazine talks about Batman perched on a high ledge in a wide open room as he watches some of the Joker's thugs rifle through drawers. Batman switches to investigation mode using a blue tinted visor that among other things lets Batman see his enemies through walls and identifies things like guns and knives. One thug is carrying a machine gun so Batman jumps of the ledge, spreads his cape and kicks him in the face. He then swipes his cape in a large arc to stun his other enemies and then goes to work on them with a stylish blend of punches, kicks, a knee to the face here a behind the back elbow there. Combat has a gymnastic flourish and is accomplished using only three buttons. Attack, Stun and Throw.

- Combat is only one element of the game so the developers didn't want a bunch of button combos that you'd forget because you'll be doing other things besides fighting.

- During battle a combo multiplier at the top of the screen will increase with every strike. Once the combo expires a colony of bats will swirl around Batman and then contribute to an experience bar on the left side of the screen. In an RPG like skill tree system players will be able to distribute points where they prefer. Think Combat moves, faster takedowns, or gadget upgrades like the ability to throw multiple batarangs at the same time.

- Gadgets are revealed by collecting items in secret rooms. You'll need gadgets to survive as there are very tough enemies in the game that you can't just go head to head with (Think Killer Croc, he's 10 feet tall in the game and super tough)

- There are sections that involve sneaking but the developers call them Predatory gameplay sections as stealth tends to imply weakness, they prefer to think of it as picking off the weak people or people you wouldn't last too long in direct fight with from strong positions. The example they give in the article is Batman creating distractions with bodies and victim's yells and then stalking the guards as they go to inspect.

DETECTIVE

- Developers have come up with a very "sexy" CSI ****for forensic puzzles because Batman will always have the very latest gadgets.

- Investigative mode is the centerpiece in Batman's arsenal. The visor can highlight points of interest and much like the Metroid Prime games will scan items into your database.

- They also mention another forensic gadget, a fingerprint tracker that allow Batman to follow trails of fingerprints.

OTHER

- Magazine hints at the ability to play as the villains in the game. Not sure if this is inserted directly into the game or available as a second playthrough option.

- Magazine lists a few suggested reading items. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: The Last Arkham, and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

GRAPHICS

- Game is very gritty looking. The screens in the mag are all inside Arkham and show case a few hallways, The Riddler's cell, A sewer etc. Lots of great lighting going on.

- Character redesigns are pretty good for the most part. Joker looks like ****c Joker only with Heath Ledger ****make up (long drawn on red lipstick etc.) he still has a the bright purple suit and bright green hair. Definitely more sinister looking than say the TAS Joker. Killer Croc is huge and looks more like Jim Lee's Hush redesign as opposed to some of the more human renditions of him.

- Batman is in the Black and Grey costume. It looks more like armor however his gauntlets in particular look like the ones from TDK. Overall it looks very awesome.

- They show screens of fights and predator segments and all look very interesting and very Batman in scope. Lots of ****c poses etc.

- You can control Batarangs from first person mode

Batman Arkham Asylum Official Site Unveiled

TheZ3nMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 TheZ3nMan
Member since 2007 • 2658 Posts
I'm anticipating this game feverishly...
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

sounds intriguing, but i'm not going to get my hopes up.

The combat sounds way too easy. It's almost more strategic than action, pick the right enemy and press the corresponding button. It could turn out good, but aside from the strategic element, i dont know if skill would be requried to take down enemies.

i wanna see how the game looks, i know you cant post scans but can you give me the magic google words please. :P

nvm... just saw them. The game does look gritty. They definitely got the look of the game right. Joker looks fantastic, very evil. I dont really like the Batman model that much, but thats a minor complaint. I wanna see the game in motion.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Slashgamer?

Could it be?

Photobucket

Photobucket
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Sounds pretty damn promising, if you ask me. I know more than a few people will like the fact that Batman's detective skills are going to come into play.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts
That sounds really fantastic. I can't wait to see some screens or an actual trailer.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HiResDes

Slashgamer?

Could it be?

SteelAttack

I don't know he might be a better source than these guys.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I'm a little bummed that it isn't going to be the sandbox Batman game that I've always hoped for, but this does sound cool. I like that they are focusing on detective elements in the gameplay as much as action, and as I said in the older thread about it, I'm really happy that Paul Dini, Mark Hammil, and Kevin Conroy will be involved. As much as I love the new Batman movies, Kevin Conroy's voice is the correct Batman voice, and since we can't bring Heath back from the dead, Mark Hammil's Joker is awesome.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
I really hope this turns out to be an exceptional title. Last time GI did a cover story on a Batman game and making it out as though it was going to be a game destined to break new ground, the final product turned out to be a rather half-assed attempt. It was a shame for me because I wanted this game to be good. So for the moment, I'm just going to keep my expectations to a minimum.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HiResDes

Screens:

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Love the French writing on the wall!
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BladesOfAthena
OMG, I friggin' LOVE the artstyle. It looks drop-dead gorgeous.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rragnaar

:shock:...:shock:...:shock:...

Holy crap! This game looks great. I don't want to get too hyped, since this could easily be a disappointment, but my inner Batman nerd is clawing its way out, and I can't contain it.:P

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rragnaar

HiResDes

These three shots give me sooooo much hope. Killer Croc looks amazing! I love the artstyIe they've got going in the second shot, and oh god... I hope that swooping in on some dude all stealthily is as good as that last shot makes it look.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
It looks awesome. Hopefully it turns out good.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BladesOfAthena

These three shots give me sooooo much hope. Killer Croc looks amazing! I love the artstyIe they've got going in the second shot, and oh god... I hope that swooping in on some dude all stealthily is as good as that last shot makes it look.

rragnaar

I think their choice of aesthetics captures the mood perfectly. It looks strikingly reminiscent to Alex Ross's artstyle, an artist whose work I bear a strong appreciation for.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

BladesOfAthena

I think their choice of aesthetics captures the mood perfectly. It looks strikingly reminiscent to Alex Ross's artstyle, an artist whose work I bear a strong appreciation for.

I'm going to have to check that out. It is funny, I'm a lifelong Batman fan, but I'm a relative newcomer to comics.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BladesOfAthena

I'm going to have to check that out. It is funny, I'm a lifelong Batman fan, but I'm a relative newcomer to comics.

rragnaar

Oh I'm sure you're going to love it. To me, its kinda like the DC Bible.:P They still have it in Waldenbooks and Barnes And Noble.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HiResDes
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

BladesOfAthena

Oh I'm sure you're going to love it. To me, its kinda like the DC Bible.:P They still have it in Waldenbooks and Barnes And Noble.

Hey I'm in the same boat, I just got into the Watchmen in the past few months.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

BladesOfAthena

Sweet. I'm starting to really dig the whole DC universe, so I will snatch this up soon.(payday needs to be here now!)

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HiResDes
[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

Sweet. I'm starting to really dig the whole DC universe, so I will snatch this up soon.(payday needs to be here now!)

Really the whole DC Universe, ewww, Marvel FTW...

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BladesOfAthena

Hey I'm in the same boat, I just got into the Watchmen in the past few months.

HiResDes

You know, I've heard about the series but somehow I just never looked into it. But anything that relates to Alex Ross, I'm all eyes. That guy has an uncanny knack for detail and human anatomy.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

HiResDes

In all fairness, I haven't read much of anything from Marvel, but their superheroes just seem so over the top when compared to Batman, and for whatever reason I've really gotten into the Justice League cartoons. I haven't really given Marvel a shot, but I think in a large part this is because they don't have a character that really appeals to me in the same way Batman does. Batman could almost exist in our world, and for whatever reason that fascinates me.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BladesOfAthena
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

In all fairness, I haven't read much of anything from Marvel, but their superheroes just seem so over the top when compared to Batman, and for whatever reason I've really gotten into the Justice League cartoons. I haven't really given Marvel a shot, but I think in a large part this is because they don't have a character that really appeals to me in the same way Batman does. Batman could almost exist in our world, and for whatever reason that fascinates me.

If that's the case, then you might probably find Spiderman to be just as intriguing. Although he has powers beyond that of an ordinary human, he still has the same kinds of problems and life concerns that plagues most people, and I think that is part of the reason why he is adored by so many. Almost everyone can relate to him in some respect.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HiResDes
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

Dude DC has Superman, that reverses any realistic superheroes they have, he's the most souped up omnipotent superhero I can think of. That and these guys are teh suxxor:

But I agree: The Watchmen and Batman are two of the best American comic book series ever released.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

BladesOfAthena

OMG I have this one!

It's like, the only one I own besides the DC comics encyclopedia. I love the artstyIe so much. And Batman there kicks all kinds of asses...in a sort of an unexpected way.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Spiderman used to be cool, that's all I can say about Marvel :P

DC has got some great series. Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore and Frank Miller are all simply fantastic IMO. My favorite comic series of all time is Spawn though. McFarlane is amazing IMO.

ozzdog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 ozzdog123
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts

*jaw drops*

Cant Wait