Holy cow game industry (Best releases since 2007)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Fall of 2007 set up a decades worth of sequels. It was the period which largely shaped current gaming. I just noticed the number of releases in the past month or so has been ENORMOUS (in terms of big games). I'm going to grant this caveat; I'm 95 percent or more pc player.

Divinity 2, Forza 7 (4k/hdr/yay), AC Origins, South Park, Shadow of War, Evil 2, Destiny 2, and of course Mortal Empires (Total Warhammer 2). Jesus...I'm going to be playing these releases for months. I honestly can't think of a time since 2007 since such a plethora of games came out in such a short time.

Do you guys feel overwhelmed (anger at loot boxes aside, of course) at the releases this fall?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

@demi0227_basic: well, it’s been 10 years. With the Switch having all these great games, I do feel a bit overwhelmed.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@outworld222: Yeah, the switch seems to have had some good releases as well. I sadly don't have one (I'd love to play Zelda, but not willing to get a console for 1 game). I didn't account Nintendo having a good season.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

@demi0227_basic: I never thought the Switch would take off like it did. I don’t own one, but plan on getting one sometime in the future.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts
@demi0227_basic said:

Evil 2

I'm assuming The Evil Within 2, but considering you stated you're primarily a P.C. gamer this could mean some rushed sequel to League of Evil_

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Yeah I mentioned in another post, I think we are (and have been) in a "gaming renaissance", a "golden age" lol.

With those games you mentioned, of course, but also the rise of independent developers in general and the high quality of independently developed games as well, players have more choice and more diversity than ever before. I mean Senua's Sacrifice, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Elite: Dangerous, and a host of other games are some great examples. Then there are, of course, the more "traditional" independent games we generally think of when we think independent; Factorio, Halcyon 6, Hyper Light Drifter, Papers Please, and so forth...but despite their retro look and sometimes low-quality production values, these games are packed with hundreds of hours of amazing gameplay.

"AAA" games (hate that label, but whatever) are still fun, but I think they definitely feel they are losing the market share to independent studios and are trying new marketing schemes; some of these things work, some don't. But the truth is games from big studios are as fun as they have ever been; despite my issues with AC: Origins, it is a far cry (hurr hurr hurr...) from Ubisoft's first entry in the series in terms of quality, a much better game to play, far more enjoyable. Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is the best Wolfenstein ever. Period. Yes, it's not the original, so what? Same with the latest DOOM 2016 reboot, best entry in the series ever.

No, we are lucky. I am generally optimistic about games, but these past few years have been pretty incredible. Or maybe I am just on a "game high" from Destiny 2 (PC), Mortal Empire (Total Warhammer 2), AC Origins, Wolfenstein 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Factorio (a game I still can't stop playing), Stellaris, Civilization 6, Halcyon 6, Brigador...jesus so many games!

off3nc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By off3nc3
Member since 2005 • 1006 Posts

This has been the best gaming year in the industry imo , had an insane line-up of games that keep on pouring . Im pretty sure nothing will top 2017 in terms of Gaming.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It certainly keeps the trend up that years ending on a 7 are awesome. 1997 was awesome, 2007 was awesome and now 2017 is awesome

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10433 Posts

it's been a great year so far no doubt but i don't think we'll ever see a period like aug-nov 07 when we got bioshock, halo 3, portal, half life 2 episode 2, team fortress 2, the witcher, lair, cod 4, super mario galaxy, crysis, assassin's creed, mass effect, uncharted and probably more in just over three months. that was insane.

as for the games in the op there's only the total war game that really appeals (played shadow of war thought it was just ok) so no i can't see myself getting overwhelmed by a deluge of good games in the next few months, more just enjoying a steady stream of good ones

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@demi0227_basic: It's sad remember games released in the previous 2 gens and comparing them to what we're seeing now. No doubt graphics and even some gameplay quality is exceptional but the inclusion of gambling is a terrible idea and its getting worse. Games are no longer games.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@off3nc3 said:

This has been the best gaming year in the industry imo , had an insane line-up of games that keep on pouring . Im pretty sure nothing will top 2017 in terms of Gaming.

This has been a great year no doubt. I am knee deep in Cuphead and Sonic Mania currently but remember video games didn't start yesterday. I contend the best year in gaming was 1991. THAT WAS EPIC. TONS of great games. But yeah this year has been great.

off3nc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15  Edited By off3nc3
Member since 2005 • 1006 Posts

@sayyy-gaa said:
@off3nc3 said:

This has been a great year no doubt. I am knee deep in Cuphead and Sonic Mania currently but remember video games didn't start yesterday. I contend the best year in gaming was 1991. THAT WAS EPIC. TONS of great games. But yeah this year has been great.

You are right , 91' was an awesome year for gaming I'm not a teenage anymore but I still remember some of the titles from back then like Lemmings , Civ , Duke Nukem was my top pick because I used to play it in the Internet Cafe with friends like crazy , Sonic , Road Rash which was one of my alltime faves on PS1 :)) ahh the times :)

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

don't forget 2001. MGS2, GTA3, DMC, Ico, Silent Hill 2, Halo, FFX. This year was and will continue to be pretty meh for $60 games. Horizon has been the only real stand out for me. Most of the good stuff is coming from the smaller companies...which is exactly why I see no point in buying an X1X or Pro.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

A whole thread discussing the best gaming year in years and nobody mentions Mario Odyssey?? This has definitely been an incredible year for gaming, both in the AAA front and the indie scene, right now I am all in on Odyssey, when I am done with that I am struggling to figure out what I want to play next, my top 2 picks are wolfenstein 2 and evil within 2.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts
@pook99 said:

A whole thread discussing the best gaming year in years and nobody mentions Mario Odyssey??

Can't speak for everyone. But for me it's a simple matter of I don't have a Switch! (yet)

If I had a Nintendo Switch? probably would chat about Super Mario Odyssey, I'm a huge fan of Super Mario. Galaxy, World and 3 being games I can gladly replay again and again.

However despite me looking forward to playing Odyssey one day I'll wait for a Switch model with better than two hours battery life. It's the sole reason I haven't grabbed the device yet, I love Nintendo handhelds, and hoping for a superior model sooner rather than later. It really is that simple.