Hollywood perplexed by Ubisoft control over Assassin's Creed movie

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Techn0holic89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Techn0holic89
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
Sony Pictures recently signed a deal with Ubisoft to put Assassin's Creed on the silver screen and some Hollywood insiders are astounded by the amount of control Ubisoft will retain over the project. Apparently Sony had to yield control over the budget, principal cast, script and the release date to the rightful owner of the IP. NYMag points out that DreamWorks was the first studio to pass on the film project, so yeah, Spielberg did not get that kind of deal. Universal and Warner Bros. were also in the race to acquire the film rights to Assassin's Creed and insiders have told NYMag that both were turned off by the publisher's demands. As one studio chief who dropped out of the bidding race put it, "They want to be able to pull the plug on the whole movie's development if they decide to. It's ridiculous." It's great to see how Ubisoft is protective of their franchise and rightfully so with all video game movie adaptions ending up becoming horrible abominations. I'll be keeping my eyes this one as it will be interesting to see how well video game developers fare on directing an actual movie Source:http://www.destructoid.com/hollywood-perplexed-by-ubisoft-control-over-asscreed-film-215301.phtml
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Even Hollywood thinks video game companies are overly-controlling douchebags.

Gee what a surprise.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It's the right move. Ubisoft, from this move, will not be repeating the past. It needs to be done right and if they can accomplish that, all the better! Hollywood always seem to f*** up the game-to-movie adapations in some way, except for the original MK, which is the best one I've seen. Everything else is s***!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

My two favorites movies base off games are: "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children" and "Resident evil degeneration"

"Final Fantasy VII Advent Children" is base off Final Fantasy VII that was made by SquareSoft and the movies was made by Square Enix.

"Resident evil degeneration" comes from capcom and was base off the resident evil games made by capcom.

Both does not retell the game but tell a story within the games world.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts

Gee what a surprise.

ZombieKiller7
I agree with this but Ubi does get some points for actually trying to make a good movie and not some sellout block buster(at least that's what I hope they're doing).
Techn0holic89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Techn0holic89
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Gee what a surprise.

Moriarity_
I agree with this but Ubi does get some points for actually trying to make a good movie and not some sellout block buster(at least that's what I hope they're doing).

I'm just glad that even it ups being a total disaster, Ubisoft can cancel the project immediately and spare us the horror.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
They probably want the control so Hollywood doesn't turn it into just another summer blockbuster.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I prefer Ubisoft to have control over it. Hollywood has a "way" with things.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

I think one of the main reason most of these Hollywood companies don't like the idea of Ubisoft having so much control over it is because they know if it works out and becomes a hit other game companies will want the same amount of control.

I'm glad Ubisoft have so much control over their property and hope it works out and other developers do the same in the future.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I'm with Ubisoft on this.

At the same time, it shouldnt be too hard to pay a screenwriter a couple of hundred thousand dollars to write a screenplay and give the greenlight from there.

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

Well the difference could be huge. The movie could either be made with "money" in mind, or the movie could be made with "passion" in mind. Yeah... I'll go for the latter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Usually I dislike Ubisoft, but in this case Im completely on thier side, Hollywood never really produced a good game to movie adoptation, they are often cheaply made, and underwhelming to say the least, and of late it is not just game to movei adoptations, Hollywood in general has become REALLY bad at making movies.

So having the say over the IP which IS incredibly important to ou, is logical.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Hmm. I have hopes that this film might just tell a new story about Altaiir to even up the disparity in the series' focus between Ezio and Altaiir. Either that, or retell AC1.