Help, I am not allowed to play any shooter video games!

#1 Posted by fortniteXD (6 posts) -

Hello everybody! My parents(mainly my mom) won't let me play any type of shooter game! Fortnite is my favorite video game in the world and I am not allowed to get it, even though I play it all the time at my friend's houses and watch it all the time on the internet. My mom says that violent video games "Desensitize" people to violence, and my dad just says they are violent. The most violent game they let me get was monster hunter generations my dad let me get that(my mom would not let me get it). I am 16 and have never gotten into a physical fight with anyone in my life, I also love making games and I made a simple fps shooter game in unity and my mom deleted it from my pc! I have asked my parents to let me play many games some of the ones they said no to: apex legends, fortnite, overwatch, krunker.io, and even creative destruction where they float away with balloons! How can I convince my parents(mainly my mom) to let me play shooter games? I have also played many mature rated games before(call of duty black ops 4, halo 4, guts and glory) at friend's houses, and watched many mature rated games(happy wheels, friday the 13th, resident evil) but my parents don't know. My parents specifically dislike guns, so they are more likely to let me play a more violent games with swords than they are a not violent at all fps. Some games that I am allowed to play now are: monster hunter generations, terraria, star wars battle front. Once my older brother who is an adult gave me star wars battlefront 2, and my dad doesn't care if I play it, and my mom doesn't like it when I play it but she got used to seeing me play it and is now ok with just that fps. My parents are WAY less strict on movies for some reason and they don't even seem to care about guns that much in movies, they have let me see: hulk, avengers(whole series), thor(all the movies), the whole star wars series, captain america, and a lot of other ones I don't know off the top of my head. I don't feel like my parents are reasonable also, I am very mature and kind to everybody and I am not violent at all, and they won't even let me play shooter games that were intended for like 8 year olds(my mom would not let me play zombs royale)! Thank you all very much for your help!

#2 Posted by DoomNukem3D (169 posts) -

Show them Soldier of fortune.

#3 Posted by Justinps2hero (2281 posts) -

Ditch gaming, start smoking & drinking beer, and I reckon they'll come round.

#4 Posted by Speeny (1510 posts) -

@Justinps2hero: Hahaha, good point.

#5 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

This again...

Go away to college honestly... I don't know what else to say

#6 Posted by BitJetKit (30 posts) -

@fortnitexd: Your family IS correct: gun games are unjust violent.

#7 Posted by Zuon (309 posts) -

@bitjetkit: Every time you kill someone in a video game, you are merely changing a 1 to a 0. No one was actually murdered, and no one will miss the NPC.

And no matter how good you are at virtual headshots, you will have no clue how to use a real gun unless you get proper training.

Not to mention, shooting polygons on a screen does not invoke the same fear and emotional distress that a real life confrontation does. The human brain knows what real danger is, and no matter how much virtual blood and deaths you see on your monitor, your desensitization does not carry over into the real world.

This is all assuming you are a mentally stable human being without any psychotic mental disorders.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#8 Edited by YammiReckorrdSan (604 posts) -

You live in America and your parents dislike guns? What kind of magic is that

#9 Posted by neatfeatguy (4254 posts) -

So you can't play them. Big whoop. Find something else creative to do with your time.

• Go outside.
  • Play a sport.
  • Ride a bike.
  • Drive your car around (if you have one).
  • Get a girlfriend.
  • Get a job.
  • Hang out with friends.
  • Color in a coloring book.
  • Learn how to make a well written sentence and use proper spacing and paragraphs in your posts. Trying to read a wall of text is painful.

There are a lot better things to do with your time than bitch about not being able to play FPS games. You're 16. You'll have enough time to game after you move out on your own. Focus on something more important in life than a game.

#10 Edited by fortniteXD (6 posts) -
@Zuon said:

@bitjetkit: Every time you kill someone in a video game, you are merely changing a 1 to a 0. No one was actually murdered, and no one will miss the NPC.

And no matter how good you are at virtual headshots, you will have no clue how to use a real gun unless you get proper training.

Not to mention, shooting polygons on a screen does not invoke the same fear and emotional distress that a real life confrontation does. The human brain knows what real danger is, and no matter how much virtual blood and deaths you see on your monitor, your desensitization does not carry over into the real world.

This is all assuming you are a mentally stable human being without any psychotic mental disorders.

Thanks for the answer, how can I tell that to my unreasonable parents? And I do not have any psychotic mental disorders.

#11 Edited by Zuon (309 posts) -

@fortnitexd: Well, they probably aren't going to believe it from you or some random stranger on the internet. But there are several studies done by professional psychologists with PHDs that come to the same conclusions. I've never read any of them myself, but if you can find some of these studies by someone who has the credentials to back it up, your parents are more likely to at least believe that the author conducted research, even if they don't initially agree with the conclusion.

And this is more of a placebo thing, but the older the author looks, the more credible your parents are to take him/her seriously. This isn't any accurate way to actually judge a person's credibility, but it is a natural misconception ingrained in the human mindset.

Also, a couple other differences between a virtual bloodbath and a real one... Real massacres don't have perfectly intact bodies with just a tiny bit of blood pooling out. Humans not only bleed substantially more, but their bodies get holes, organs can fall out, limbs can get blown off, and any piece of a victim no longer attached to them doesn't despawn - they land somewhere else in the environment and stay there until the entire body decomposes or someone cleans it up. And it's not just the sight of the gibs and the blood - there's a horrid smell that goes with it too, and blood stains surfaces big time. You can't just leave the scene, come back, and have it be spotless again.

And while it's relatively easy to outsmart the police in a game, in reality, no matter how intelligent of a criminal someone thinks they are, there is always someone smarter than them on the opposite side of the fence.

And before anyone asks, I don't have any experience with violence. Even in school, my bullies only attacked me verbally and emotionally - no one ever took a swing or tried to hurt me. I have also never seen death myself, and the spontaneous fights I've seen were quickly broken up by people of authority before any serious wounding occurred. Information like this is just kind of common sense and very easy to come by.

#12 Edited by TruSake (435 posts) -

Well, in exchange for letting you play these games, tell her you will get great grades at school, wash the dishes, cut the grass (if you have any), wash the cars, things that will let them know that you're responsible enough that you won't go nuts. If all else fails ask her to get you a psychological test to prove you're mentally stable enough to play shooter games.

#13 Edited by fortniteXD (6 posts) -

@Zuon said:

@fortnitexd: Well, they probably aren't going to believe it from you or some random stranger on the internet. But there are several studies done by professional psychologists with PHDs that come to the same conclusions. I've never read any of them myself, but if you can find some of these studies by someone who has the credentials to back it up, your parents are more likely to at least believe that the author conducted research, even if they don't initially agree with the conclusion.

And this is more of a placebo thing, but the older the author looks, the more credible your parents are to take him/her seriously. This isn't any accurate way to actually judge a person's credibility, but it is a natural misconception ingrained in the human mindset.

Also, a couple other differences between a virtual bloodbath and a real one... Real massacres don't have perfectly intact bodies with just a tiny bit of blood pooling out. Humans not only bleed substantially more, but their bodies get holes, organs can fall out, limbs can get blown off, and any piece of a victim no longer attached to them doesn't despawn - they land somewhere else in the environment and stay there until the entire body decomposes or someone cleans it up. And it's not just the sight of the gibs and the blood - there's a horrid smell that goes with it too, and blood stains surfaces big time. You can't just leave the scene, come back, and have it be spotless again.

And while it's relatively easy to outsmart the police in a game, in reality, no matter how intelligent of a criminal someone thinks they are, there is always someone smarter than them on the opposite side of the fence.

And before anyone asks, I don't have any experience with violence. Even in school, my bullies only attacked me verbally and emotionally - no one ever took a swing or tried to hurt me. I have also never seen death myself, and the spontaneous fights I've seen were quickly broken up by people of authority before any serious wounding occurred. Information like this is just kind of common sense and very easy to come by.

I have shown them studies like this one: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-violent-video-games-teens-aggressive.html and things, but they just say it is fake not mater who it is done by.

#14 Posted by Yams1980 (3430 posts) -

You aren't missing much, shooters are lame.

Most of my favourite games involve no shooting. Although I do like certain games where you can kill people but only on a worldwide scale like in Civilization where you can nuke entire cities.

#15 Edited by Zuon (309 posts) -

@fortnitexd: Sorry this is late, but if my parents tried to tell me that a well known University's analysis was "fake," I would get confrontational and ask them the following.

"Oh, is (name) not a real researcher at (University Name)?

Does he/she not actually have his degree and experience in this subject?

If you don't believe this person is qualified, what are your qualifications?

Have you ever played a video game?

Have you ever watched a video game?

Have you ever personally witnessed an individual assault, injure, or kill another individual as a direct result of a video game?

Have you ever done any research yourself into the effects of video games on the human psyche?

(If they answer no to these)

So, why do you blindly trust news stories of a hobby you have no familiarity with just because someone on TV told you so? I'd say the news stories you listen to are fake, and I have more credibility in the topic, since I actually partake in the hobby and do my own research. Neither of you have. Besides, most of these news anchors don't play video games either. Why should their words be taken as credible?

And finally, why are you forcing your own beliefs on your children when you have no evidence to prove that you are correct, and I have plenty of evidence to prove that you aren't?"

You may be grounded as a result of this confrontation, but I think it would be worth it just for their reaction, especially if you record it or have witnesses. XD

#16 Edited by Baconstrip78 (1365 posts) -

@fortnitexd: You sound much younger than 16. My suggestion would be to listen to your parents. Video games are okay in moderation, but nobody ever became a layabout failure in life because they didn’t play enough video games. Your parents are right to try to keep you away from them, even if their excuse for doing so is rather lame.