Help! Help! My PS2 scratches my disks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by miless (715 posts) -

A couple of weeks back my console started scratching my CDs
I put a perfectly new game and after a few hours of play it would freeze of give me a [Insert Disk] message , when I take out the disk it has a ring scratch on it about 1 cm from the edge. Picture here

I suppose the problem comes from the sled on which the optics move

Does anybody know if it can be repaired and how much will it cost

#2 Posted by HawkEye1997 (1070 posts) -
idk but is this a rare or common problem among ps2s
#3 Posted by bigM10231 (11240 posts) -

if its the slim then you should treat it better but if its the fat, either get a new laser or get another one

#4 Posted by miless (715 posts) -

Its a slim and I treat it like its my own son :P

Seriously I always cover it when Im not playing , I clean it occasionally and whatnot . The only thing that might have caused it is the fact that the table on which it stands is kinda banged-up and staggers when pushed

#5 Posted by Aero5555 (1333 posts) -

That happened to me once with my phat PS2 way back when I played Onimusha 2 for the first time, the scratch was pretty much identical to the pic's. I went to a repair shop and he laughed at first telling me it's impossible even going as far as saying I'm the one who scratched it (wha...?). In the end the joke was on him when he opened the PS2 and noticed how the lens was completely dead and caused the DVD to be read in an incorrect manner. I replaced it with a new lens and luckily the store I got the game from exchanged the scratched copy with a new one. Never happened to me again.

#6 Posted by miless (715 posts) -

Thanks Aero
So youre saying its the lens.Man new optics cost 50$ in my local repairshop I might aswell get a new console

#7 Posted by Aero5555 (1333 posts) -

Thanks Aero
So youre saying its the lens.Man new optics cost 50$ in my local repairshop I might aswell get a new console

miless

Get a new console, no matter how many times you repair it it'll keep breaking.

#8 Posted by bigM10231 (11240 posts) -

theres little clips on some slims that have broken on the spindle causing the scratches