Having a "life" vs. being a "hardcore" gamer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

How would you describe your gaming status concerning your lifestyle? Some posters I've noticed try to claim they are both, living large and in charge dating supermodels and jet-setting around the world yet also owning and having time for all the games and systems plus time to churn out 17,000 + posts on their account? In reality one can't have it both ways but that's ok.

I openly admit that I don't game like I used to during college and before, so I don't call myself "hardcore" anymore. There's nothing wrong with casually enjoying games at a slower pace AND there's nothing wrong with admitting that at any given time in ones life not much is going on in the real world and that they spend tons of time playing games with a furious passion.

I don't understand why one camp always belittles the other camp and can't respect the other side without throwing around such petty judgments? (forgive the use of hardcore and casual labels I just use them for a lack of better terminology)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well If you aren't alive, then you can't play games. Thus you need life to be a hardcore gamer.
Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#3 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

I agree with this - I go through a "hardcore" time every once in a while where I'll play the 360 for 4-6 hours a day for a month or so, but then I go 3-4 months without playing it once. It does depend heavily on what else is going on in life, particularly the academic year calendar. In the month of winter break or this end part of the summer, I often play games like crazy. But when I'm at school and all my friends are around, I'm usually not playing many video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#4 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Videogames revolve around the other things in my life, not the other way around. I think that's the way it should be.

Avatar image for FatalFantasy206
FatalFantasy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FatalFantasy206
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, though I have many breaks, such as now. But I also balance it with the real life of my girlfriend and 2 young children.

batman0811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 batman0811
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, though I have many breaks, such as now. But I also balance it with the real life of my girlfriend and 2 young children.

FatalFantasy206
hey that sounds just like me i have a girl and two kids also so i try to balance my time between them and then i play games with whatever time is left over. how old are your childern, i have a 3 month old and 2 and half yr old, so i have to play really late at night, when do put the time in to play
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I don't think you have to play a billion hours a month to be hardcore. If you're willing to squeeze gaming into the little bit of free time that you have, that seems more dedicated that some guy with absolutely nothing to do with his life gaming for 8 hours a day.
LiquidClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LiquidClear
Member since 2008 • 356 Posts

There's still generally a perception out there that gamers are nerds/losers. It's acceptable to game a little bit, but you can't game as much as most people watch TV apparently. Also, people like to act cool on the internet a lot.

I don't have a life, and I've played a ridiculous amount of games this summer. I'm talking amounts that most people would be ashamed to admit to, but it doesn't really bother me; if there was something else that I felt like doing instead, I'd go do it.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Basically, all I do now is game, watch television and browse the forums. I just graduated college, have no job and am incredibly depressed. I don't really have anything else going right now that those things while I job search. I love video games, and that's where I place my time. I spent an evening last week with a friend chilling and doing what he wanted to do, and all we did was sit and talk to his friends, people I didn't know. And then he complained about being bored. I'll stick with games and having fun, thank-you-very-much.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Well, despite what the title suggests, there are plenty of hardcore gamers that do manage to find the time to engage in other activities, probably even more so than the ones who can't seem to find the time to play. The characteristics that you attribute to the terms casual and hardcore aren't as black-and-white or as clear cut as you make it seem to be, as there are be plenty of instances where "casual" gamers engage in activities that could be considered unproductive, or even illegal.

I think the guy who sits with their face glued to the television set playing Halo 8 hours a day is much, much better off than the 40-year old drug addict who spends most of his time in the kitchen trying to concoct a recipe for meth.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I love games, but like everyone I've been forced to grow up and get a job. So now games are something that fits in around the rest of my life, not to say I don't call in sick to get games at launch still. :P Oh and I have an unopened Dreamcast sitting here like a piece of art. God, I'm a gaming tragic. :)
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#12 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

Basically, all I do now is game, watch television and browse the forums. I just graduated college, have no job and am incredibly depressed. I don't really have anything else going right now that those things while I job search. I love video games, and that's where I place my time. I spent an evening last week with a friend chilling and doing what he wanted to do, and all we did was sit and talk to his friends, people I didn't know. And then he complained about being bored. I'll stick with games and having fun, thank-you-very-much.muthsera666

yeah, i know what you mean. some people are like, "why don't you get out more?", or "you play games too much" (parents, usually), but often when you try to be more outgoing, what you get in return can simply end up in frustration, or nothing much really happening. great, i'm going outside... and it's cloudy and its raining and its cold, and i want to go back inside where it's warm and i can DO something.

people have to accept that... if you don't have many friends, you're going to be spending time trying to enjoy yourself despite your situation. so when they attack your pastime, or whatever else is deemed 'not the best thing you could be doing', then it infuriates me.

skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

i have a life. i work full time and i recently got married 10 months ago. i am also buying our first house, which will close next week. i still game a decent amount. there are weeks when i dont play anything and then sometimes i play hours and hours on my days off.

i have been trying to play a whole bunch lately cause i know next week when we finally officially own our new house i will have so much do to that i wont play a game for like 2 months.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
I hate the term hardcore and casual.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#15 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Video games are my primary form of entertainment, but I do have a life. On weekends I don't sit around playing video games all day long. I go and I study at Starbucks, browse the internet, etc.

gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I play video games in my free time, other things (work, friends) take precedence over gameing... unless I'm gaming online with friends, then I may play several hours at a time.

Vundi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Vundi
Member since 2003 • 12755 Posts

How would you describe your gaming status concerning your lifestyle? Some posters I've noticed try to claim they are both, living large and in charge dating supermodels and jet-setting around the world yet also owning and having time for all the games and systems plus time to churn out 17,000 + posts on their account? In reality one can't have it both ways but that's ok.

Bigboi500

I disagree. I think you can have it both ways. I think it's possible to be a "hardcore" gamer and still have room to lead a very dynamic life

- I don't claim to date super models but I do lead an active and...eventful social life with attractive women.
- I have 12,000+ posts on my account but I have been a member here for 6 years.
- I own and play a lot of video game systems both old and new and always make time for my favorite games. I've actually become a bit of an acheivement dork in recent months.
- I don't "jet-set" around the world but I do love to travel. In the last year and a half I've been in Kentucky, Tenessee, San Fracisco CA, Georgia and N Carolina. I have a trip scheduled for New York in September and my next big trip is going to be to Australia some time next year.
- I'm in the the Army and that has added a really interesting layer to my life since I joined 3 years ago.
- I'm also a proud father of a 6 year old little girl.

I'm not listing these things because I'm trying to make myself sound like the most interesting man alive but just to show that if you give a little effort to making something of your life that you really can squeeze a lot of adventure in to the very short time we have here. And really, who would want it any other way?

Vundi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vundi

i recently got married 10 months ago. skrillalover

Congratulations!!

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
"Hardcore" gamers who claim to have a shiny social life either have 48 hours in their days or suffer from the "Larger Iteration Exterior Syndrome" (abbreviated as LIES)
Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts

I may not bethe most popular kid around, but althought I love gaming with a passion, I never put it over hanging out with friends or going toa party.

Faith_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Faith_of_Ruin
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
I agree with many people on here. You cant be a no life. so what you choose to play games more then half the time.. SO WHAT thats just how some people choose to live their life. and i support that feeling. people deserve to make these decisions
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="skrillalover"]

i recently got married 10 months ago. Vundi

Congratulations!!

Here here. I'm about to go down that path in a few months myself. Finding time to game will be a bit more challenging but I'll still game as often as possible.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
I much prefer play games all day than having a life. Then again, I don't have time for a life. University is stressful >_>.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

See? I have life x8

:P

the-wayward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the-wayward
Member since 2009 • 732 Posts

I have a hardcore life ....

TheSoundSystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheSoundSystem
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

I like a good game every now and then. It's relaxing.

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

Basically, all I do now is game, watch television and browse the forums. I just graduated college, have no job and am incredibly depressed. I don't really have anything else going right now that those things while I job search. I love video games, and that's where I place my time.

I spent an evening last week with a friend chilling and doing what he wanted to do, and all we did was sit and talk to his friends, people I didn't know. And then he complained about being bored. I'll stick with games and having fun, thank-you-very-much.muthsera666

Ah I feel for you, since I find myself in the same position. Having recently graduated I am without a job and money to do anything. Even though, I find going out and socializing has a certain monotony to it and is something I simply don't enjoy as much as going to the cinema, reading a book or gaming. When I am not applying to jobs, I game and read. I have never been much into going out and continue to find it laughable that somehow spending your time on activities outside of gaming are more fruitful and worth the time.

As long as those relationships you care about (friend and family) don't suffer and you are not deteriorating in health due to your hobby (which can be the case with anything, not only gaming) then I don't see the problem. After all time spent CAN but isn't the determining factor in whether you consider yourself casual or hardcore, its a label you give yourself and not others to you. It shouldn't be used as a derogatory insult either way and I think that only happens when someone feels insecure about what they can enjoy. People are different and so they enjoy different things in different ways.

I hate the term hardcore and casual.Vexx88

But they are there to describe the very real divide between the different types of gamers however you want to describe them. There has been a push to move away from the terms to phrases like CORE, but ultimately it doesn't change the fact that these terms exist to describe different types of people, which isn't in itself wrong.

gamerblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamerblack
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts
Games r a kind of entertainment that u shouldn't miss. You got a life and you can play games. C'mon take the opportunity. ^_^ U can enjoy your youth with gaming. But I don't know about the adult part. I think playing games when young isn't an issue. Once again, gaming is best entertainment i have ever enjoyed.
gamerblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerblack
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts

I like a good game every now and then. It's relaxing.

TheSoundSystem
definitely ^^ Really relaxing. Also hardcore doesn't sound that bad. i supposed... :)
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You can have it both ways. It's called The Sims.

ogerseni168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 ogerseni168
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

I considered myself a hardcore gamer because I usually spent more than 5 hours on video games everyday. I still remembered when I spent 8 hours a day on online games 2 years ago. But while playing games, I still go shopping, doing sports, drawing, and enjoy the life outside of the gaming world.

mramz88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mramz88
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts
no life but not a gamer either. im a total loser
TeYoH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TeYoH
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
This is interesting yet true. I find myself playing less games, but I guess I haven't played games for more than 5 hours straight, since high school summer. But as of this day, Its cool to pick up the sticks and get down, or get high and play S.P.O.R.E. But this thread is true nonetheless, lets just all mind our own personal likings and hobbies and chill daffuc out. Thanks! -TeYoH
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

no life but not a gamer either. im a total losermramz88

lol. you beat me.

Vundi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vundi
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="Vundi"]

[QUOTE="skrillalover"]

i recently got married 10 months ago.

Congratulations!!

Here here. I'm about to go down that path in a few months myself. Finding time to game will be a bit more challenging but I'll still game as often as possible.

Well, congratulations to you too then! Best of luck with everything!
N0d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 N0d0
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

I'd consider myself a hardcore gamer because during my free time, gaming is what I usually do. I have loads of free time since I'm currently out of school and I have no part-time job (although I am looking). Hanging out with friends is difficult because most of them are slightly older than me and have college / work so scheduling times is difficult.

Plus half the time we game together anyway.

borealis72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 borealis72
Member since 2009 • 54 Posts
Everything in moderation. Gaming is a great hobby, just don't lock yourself in your room 24/7 and forget about things like real people or responsibilities or showers.
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
im 15 and i play everything from counter strike to halo 3. in real life ive built a gaming community in my school, started a gaming club where we played super smash melee, but after this summer we are being sponsored by the school to supply more consoles, t.v.'s, and pc's for lanparty's.
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

no life but not a gamer either. im a total losermramz88
all my friends that i made in my school are gamers. you'd probably have friends if u found the gamers in ur school, me and my friends do clanning in MMORPG's like diablo/wow and fps like CSS/halo3. it's pretty awesome we get to gether and stuff and lan and basically game the night away

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I'm definitely not a hardcore gamer...especially not anymore. I used to play more, but I kind of go in cycles. I post a lot here, I guess, but I still go to school, hang out with friends, leave the house, etc.
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

I casually play games in a hardcore manner.

Witch24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Witch24
Member since 2008 • 329 Posts
Im gaming alot in periods, but i have to work, do some workout 2-3 times in a week, go to drawing classes. But now when it has been raining all summer holliday it has been alot gaming...(silent Hill Homecoming, Wii sport resort, Harry Potter & the halfblood prince etc :P)