Have you ever had your favorite game taken down by unfortunate events?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

It goes like this, on this generation I would play a game called All-Pro Football 2k8. It was made by 2k Sports and it is infamously known to be one of their last football games that went into retail. It was the only alternative from EA sports monster Madden, however on this gen I didn't like the direction Madden was taking and I always felt that 2k was for the gamers that understood football. I use to play All-Pro religiously, I fell in love with crafting schemes, players different abilities and editing teams to my sort of vision (even though the editor was poor in a lot of ways). The game's bread and butter was taking those teams online and competing against other people. The community was small but it was a cool thing we all felt like coaches and gm of a league. The servers were on for 3 or 4yrs then they came crashing down. 2k turned off the server and I feel kind of lost...I can honestly say I truely loved that game. I understand businesses have to move on and make a profit but it still doesn't take away the stinging of having something you enjoy taken from you like that. I play other games but they just don't give me the fulfillment and satisfaction that All-Pro did.

Having stated all of this, has anyone ever invested time in game and then its been either shut down by unfortunate events, decisions or timing?

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I remember when the servers for Metal Gear Online were taken down.

It was a sad day for all of humanity.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Lord of the Rings: Conquest was online for 14 months when EA killed the servers. Best conventional vs multiplayer game of the entire generation. I loved that game so damn much.
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Gotham City Impostors was an amazingly fun experience for me, it had tons of personality and great arcadey gameplay, definitely one of those rare multiplayer games that will have me playing it for long. Sadly, an update killed the matchmaking and it never got fixed (neither did the severe technical bugs), it also looks like the game got abandoned soon after and it even went free2play (yeugh). Pretty much a perfect example of a great concept killed by its shoddy execution, I lost all respect for Monolith after that. At the very least Red Orchestra 2 is doing great, I remember back at release the game hit rock bottom with very few active players and tons of bugs keeping new players from joining in, the game's future was filled with doom and gloom but Tripwire refused to jump ship and gave it their all to fix the game and improve it as much as possible. Now its actually one of the best online World War 2 shooters you can get.
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
DFO(Dungeon Fighter Online) was my addiction back in the days when it was open beta going into release. I would play that game religiously and was one of the first PC games in a long time I dedicated a lot of time into. Everything about this game was mind blowing to me in how it was different than a typical MMO. The beat'em up Style 2d fighting was always face paced and flashy, PvP was actually exciting and always refreshing to just watch. I had fun following the storyline, the lore, and seeing the visuals in some of the areas. It was everything I wanted in a MMO. So what happened? Well Nexon happened. Over time it seemed like they couldn't find a way to spawn good events or release updates fast enough to get the players attention. Over time people left due to huge amounts of hackers and gold buyers that emerged into the game and Nexon didn't do a thing about it. There were many times such as the Priest Patch and the Thief release where they could have gotten the playerbase plus a lot more back, but it seemed as though the only games Nexon knew how to advertise well was MapleStory, Mabinogi, or their new game Vindictus. By the time they reworked their employees and got their game face on it was too late. Too many players left and the ones remaining were a small bunch. They closed it on June 13,2013. :( ;(
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Guild Wars. The servers are still up but it just isn't the same as it was at its peak before any of the expansions came out. Expansions/Guild Wars 2/time have spread out the userbase so thin. It bums me out.