Have the focus of video games changed since the early days?

#1 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -

This is a follow-up threat to the old thread that got closed "Anybody else losing appeal in gaming?" so I'll repeat my thoughts about that...

It seems to me that video games don't seem to be about having fun anymore, It seems to me when it comes to video games that all anyone wants to talk about is the "best" score, the "best" player, where do you rank, or how to get a higher score ?

Now with all the professional gaming teams making big money and matches getting televised, video games seem to be less about having fun and more about how to measure yourself against other players and who's the best ?

I grew up on the Atari 2600 where you had to write down your high score if you wanted to remember it but nowadays video games need to go online and rank you against everybody else that plays the game, What happened to just playing video games to have fun ???

I maybe I'm just too old and video games have evolved into something more serious that revolves around the highest score and your ranking...

#2 Edited by Speeny (915 posts) -

TempestNut marked this as the best answer

Definitely my passion for gaming has gotten less over the years. Especially because I'm an adult now. My first console was the PS1 and boy, days were good back then. I also owned a hand-me-down SNES.

I myself am not big on competitive gaming. Always preferred single player games. Most of the time I feel as if gaming has become a "chore" for a lot of people even though they don't realise it. Things like 100% completion has become harder to achieve these days with modern games compared to the older stuff. I guess the Playstation trophies played a big part in that also. That's what I miss about a lot of older games, just the general simplicity of it all. That's arguable though.

I really do miss the pre-internet days in terms of gaming. Buying the magazines and what not. Such a different time. Was always great brainstorming ideas on how to get past certain levels with your buddies without looking up the walkthrough online. Oh well. :( Just my opinion.

#3 Posted by Enragedhydra (978 posts) -

I think that strong single player games are all about having fun, never mind the score or reviews. To me games like Witcher 3, Starcraft 2, Skyrim, Super Meat Boy, Owlboy, DOOM, Sonic Mania all lend themselves to being very fun. I myself grew up in the age of the 386 computers and the NES, and while my favorite game of all time is SMB 3, I wouldn't say I had less fun playing New Super Mario Brothers Wii. I don't think anyone would say they had more fun playing Orcarina of Time as compared to Breath of the Wild.

#5 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: Mario Bros. on the Wii was such a great game in my opinion. I played the originals as a kid but playing the Wii game was a real treat for me.

#6 Edited by Enragedhydra (978 posts) -

@speeny I think the indie scene at least on PC brings back lots of nostalgia. Today in the Humble Bundle back I got Regions of Ruins, a little 8 bit game using the WASD and left and right arrows to attack and power hit and down to block. Games that you can play in short bursts are always nice, I don't always have the time or will to sit down for long sessions playing Skyrim, Fallout or the Witcher but doing a portal run in Torchlight 2 can be finished in max 20 minutes plus I get the satisfaction of grabbing some new gear. A game like Epistory - Typing Chronicles combines a neat little story with the need to type quickly. Games like Blazblue allow me to sit down for twenty minutes to practice a move and make me feel good when I can pull it off after some practice. We can certainly pick games that don't feel like a chore.

A lot of people scoff at 8 bit games or "bad" graphics, but games like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem 1/2, Jill of the Jungle can all be played with zero stress and for the fun. I think the PC has become the place of Indie titles and I'm OK with it. I don't always need an epic story like in GoW or another massive open world with RDR 2. Some of us literally want to be able to play for twenty minutes and either move onto another game and not feel like we didn't grind enough to accomplish what we had to.
+1 to you!!

#7 Edited by GNS (261 posts) -

You mean from pure gameplay to story, gameplay and graphics? Yeah, it did.

On topic, well, multiplayer games are all about competition. From Counter-Strike to World of Warcraft. Back in the days there were no multiplayer games and those that were split-screen co-op were kinda few.

#8 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -

Two of the earliest Atari 2600 games were multiplayer games like pong and tank and there was many more along those lines...

#9 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@Enragedhydra: Yeah. I honestly like the feeling of accomplishment after playing a shorter game. It’s more satisfying. Shorter games can sometimes be more memorable at least for me.

#10 Posted by Macutchi (6486 posts) -
@tempestnut said:

This is a follow-up threat to the old thread that got closed "Anybody else losing appeal in gaming?" so I'll repeat my thoughts about that...

It seems to me that video games don't seem to be about having fun anymore, It seems to me when it comes to video games that all anyone wants to talk about is the "best" score, the "best" player, where do you rank, or how to get a higher score ?

Now with all the professional gaming teams making big money and matches getting televised, video games seem to be less about having fun and more about how to measure yourself against other players and who's the best ?

I grew up on the Atari 2600 where you had to write down your high score if you wanted to remember it but nowadays video games need to go online and rank you against everybody else that plays the game, What happened to just playing video games to have fun ???

I maybe I'm just too old and video games have evolved into something more serious that revolves around the highest score and your ranking...

what games are you playing exactly, to come to this conclusion?

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (7642 posts) -

Games simply just have more variety than it did before, and speaks to a larger range of people, and what they enjoy.

Games still get developed that are designed around deep core gameplay, and the ol design of gaming joy.

We just also have games taking cues from visual novels, for those that prefer a more cinematic experience.

Personally don't mind a blend of both so long as the story aspect isn't damaging the gameplay experience. But to each his or her own.

It seems to me that video games don't seem to be about having fun anymore

Well I can only speak on personal experience.

Monster Hunter: World, Dusk, Soul Calibur VI, and The Messenger these are four examples of games that came out in 2018 that I personally had a lot of fun with. They are great games. And are usually praised from a gaming perspective over presentation and cosmetics.

I think many gamers need to stop exclusively play what's advertised heavily, this is a result of a high marketing budget and does not make them superior quality games. The likes of Spidermans, God of Wars, and Red Deads. These games are usually more on the cinematic side of things, which is fine, but should also not be the basis for all games released in the current generation.

#12 Edited by Jackamomo (1463 posts) -

Just had another peek at the charts.

It's business as usual as per the last five years.

Nintendo have so many popular ip's it's crazy! In the global top ten they have 2 Pokemon games, a Mario Party game and a Mario Kart game.

The other 6 places are Call of Dudie, Battlefield 5, FIFA, RDR2 and Spiderman.

That's a R* open world game at No 1. FIFA, 2 FPS's and the same Nintendo games from 15 years+ ago.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Not exactly inspiring.

Games nowadays are all about playing it safe. Not one original ip's or non-standard genre's. Nothing stands out. You can skim read the charts in second's. That top ten has been consistent for about 10 years.

As you can see, ten years ago is the same story. Nintendo have 7 of the top ten slots with Wii fit software and two Call of Dudy's on two platforms again.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2009/Global/

With companies like EA and SONY buying successful studios, mid range, independant studios are very rare now.

So a A-AA game are handicapped by lack of funding for as banks are aware of the risks of spending alot on a game which does not sell and if a dev does get a successful franchise, being bought is usually the end of their un as an interesting and inventive developer.

Relic are a success story fro me, coming out of the tail end of the 90's big box pc game era making incredible rts games like Homeworld and Dawn of War.

Sadly, they didn't have the management in place to make a good sequel to CoH and DoW and fell prey to dlc because management.

Dev's have lost control and the money has taken over.

So it's up to companies like Colossal Order to come up with new kinds of game because you won't see that from Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft or even Relic now.

We will have to see how Age of Empires 4 goes.

EDIT: Colossal Order were created by Paradox Entertainment, a mobile gaming company but are given creative freedom.

Colossal Order has the freedom to create games without limitations set by the publisher, bar those on schedules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Order_(company)#Games

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21381 posts) -

@tempestnut said:

This is a follow-up threat

#14 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: Lol. Got a good laugh out of that.

#15 Posted by ivaturk (62 posts) -

@tempestnut:

Personally when I first got into gaming, I played online against people and found it unenjoyable. People moan when you beat them, sometimes just want to talk a lot of crap while playing, and are just downright rude most of the time. I gave up playing against people, and now only play against the games AI, and it's great, I no longer have to put up with the crap, and can just enjoy the game without putting up with all the nonsense.

If you aren't enjoying gaming anymore, give what I'm doing a go, and you may find yourself enjoying it again.

#16 Posted by Speeny (915 posts) -

@ivaturk: 100%. As you said, a lot of time it’s just people talking nonsense and complaining when they lose. That’s what turns me off a lot of online multiplayer. Just trolling in general happens constantly.

#17 Posted by robert_sparkes (2037 posts) -

I Think the big blockbuster games in the ps2/Xbox era certainly changed the outlook on gaming. It's now at a level that I can getting even bigger with the streaming model ms have in thought for next generation.

#18 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@tempestnut said:

At the moment I just started playing a modded version I hacked of Tempest 4000 off line that lets me use my homemade SpinTrak based spinner box and it also disables the fake inertia that was coded into the game to make the game controllers most use to play the game feel sort of like a spinner...

But I don't play the games that brought me to my thoughts on games nowadays...

If you aren't enjoying gaming anymore, give what I'm doing a go, and you may find yourself enjoying it again.

I very much enjoy the few games I've played over the last 10 years which have been unreal tournament against a dozen or more bots that are jacked up, A whole lot of Tempest 2000 on the jag, and more recently Typhoon 2001 and starting a week ago Tempest 4000 using the SpinTrak Spinner Box I made...

#19 Posted by Archangel3371 (26716 posts) -

I can’t say that I agree with that myself. I’ve been gaming for over 40 years, started on the Atari 2600, and there’s more games that I find to be fun then I could possibly play. The number of games focused on e-sports is still very much dwarfed by games that aren’t and that’s just in the AAA market. I think gaming is much more varied then it’s ever been. Even many of the e-sports games can be very much enjoyed in a non competitive fashion.

#20 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -

@Archangel3371: I guess it has something to do with what 's happened to me over the last few days when I tried to talk about ways to make Tempest 4000 more fun to play at a dif forum and all anyone there wanted to talk about was what controllers were necessary to play the game, Elite players, Highest scores, How many times so and so beat the game, And so on, No matter how many times I reminded them I was looking to talk about making the game more fun for players to play, Not what is and is not necessary to get a top 10 score and who had the highest ranking...

I tried to suggest that using a rotary controller would make that game more fun to play and I posted a video showing it's possible to use a spinner with that game that doesn't support them and the resident gaming god told me "I'm not convinced based on the gameplay video you posted. Show me how well this rotary works in the hands of someone that actually knows how to play the game, and I'll rethink my stance on it"

I've only been playing the game for a less than a week, I don't think the dig at me was needed to get his point across? And besides, the video was to show that USB spinners could work natively with the game, Not to show I was in the same league at playing the game as him and I made it clear what the video was about ...

#22 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -

@Macutchi said:
@tempestnut said:

Just a follow up, Follow up lol, There was one game I almost forgot about that I really got sucked into which was Combat Arms, I got fairly good at it and a fairly well know team asked me the join called FiNgErBaNg and My username was illli, People use to call me Illy and said my username reminded them of the grill of a Jeep lol, I got so sucked into that game I use to spend money on it buying game cards so I always had all the equipment I liked one of which was this badass long range sniper rifle that could kill anyone with one shot if you hit them.

Then out of no wares I got banned for cheating most likely because Combat Arms had this stat of kills to deaths ratio so if it was high everybody assumed you were cheating BUT one of my fav things to do when I wasn't with the team was this one level that had this huge basement with only two ways in or out on either side of it and hardly anyone would go down in there, So I use to lure people down there by hanging by one of the doors going down and throw a grenade at them which sometimes kill them but if not do some damage and I would run down to the basement and sprint through to a few diff spots that had perfect cover and the perfect long-range shot that was very hard to miss with my paid for one-hit, one-kill sniper rifle and just wait until they showed up which they almost always did and BOOM dead! Of course, this would piss them off and they would come charging down again only I would relocate to a diff cherry spot and BOOM I'd pick them off again, I use to do that so much that my kill to death ratio was sky high! BUT I WAS NOT CHEATING, so all my stats and accomplishments were gone and my FiNgErBaNg teammates said just start over and you be back where you were in no time but that wasn't true, It took quite a while to get to where I was so I appealed and pleaded my case and I was denied so I vowed to never spend a single dime with any video game company that could do something like that.

Anyways back to the topic, I use to have much more fun off by my myself trying to figure out great places to snipe, people, then I did team fighting and everything that goes along with that, Like the pressure of not wanting to let the team down, or always trying to raise my stats and my ranking and so on, The list goes on and on, But after I got banned in a way it was kind of a relief to have that monkey off my back because I was turning into penny on the show big bang theory when she gets into online gaming for the first time, I haven't gone anywhere near online gaming ever since...

#23 Posted by Macutchi (6486 posts) -

@tempestnut:it sounds like your "video games used to be about fun but not anymore" perception is largely centred around your (bad) experiences with a handful of online multiplayer games / communities, and not representative of gaming in general.

with regards to your question of what happened to just playing video games to have fun, there's a whole universe of great sp games out there to have fun with. from your replies to other posters it sounds like you've barely dipped your toe in that world. it feels redundant to say, because it's stating the bleeding obvious, but the dead easy solution to all this is if you don't enjoy the competitive aspects of mp gaming, don't play competitive mp games

#24 Posted by Jackamomo (1463 posts) -

@tempestnut: clearly, you overdosed on an online game. Have not not played online before?

You are a filthy camper and they were right to ban you. Camping is often against the rules.

You should play for fun, not scores. When you count stats in online play you can fall prey to tunnel vision. You should role play those kinds of fps games a bit. Interacting with your team is how you get the most from a tactical or arena shooter.

Just getting the most kills will result in a repetitive game play style. Outside of a pure skill game like Tempest, games with rich graphics and characters lend themselves to be savoured a bit. Don't treat them like pinball. Treat them like you're playing dress up and pretend to be a soldier.

This is how alot of people play MMO's. Otherwise, you're never going to get the stats you want, there will always be more stats to get.

#25 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -
@jackamomo said:

@tempestnut: You are a filthy ut camper and they were right to ban you. Camping is often against the rules.

Camping is sitting in one spot and waiting for someone to come along, That's not what I was doing, I was engaging people directly and falling back and I was always relocating trying to outguess and outthink people by anticipating what they'ed do next and I got very good at it!

Sounds like you might have been someone I owned back then, AND what I was doing was not even close to breaking any rules and it wasn't what got me banned, They told me they thought I was using some sort of a cheating hack but I certainly was not!

People can be so predictable it's not funny, And besides, Even though I ruled that basement for a while it didn't last and some people started coming up with better tactics and it more and more became a break-even engagement but hey if you were dumb enough to follow me down there then don't hate the player, Hate the game or yourself because there were certainly some smart people that would not take the bait and they tried to get me up where they had the advantage with better terrain and cover, That's war!

But your welcome to your opinion but the "filthy" part wasn't needed and you could have expressed yourself without it...

#26 Posted by Jackamomo (1463 posts) -

@tempestnut: no offense. I'm sure you are quite hygienic.

I suppose multiplayer arena shooters are not the deepest games and they are really designed as a pure skill game so playing that way is probably not so bad.

I'm surprised they did not have a way to see if you were cheating or not. I don't know about these things.

Someone hacked a map once in CoH 2v2. We still lost.

#27 Edited by Shmiity (6174 posts) -

Obviously. How many quarters have you put into your xbox?

#28 Edited by TempestNut (27 posts) -

I've never owned an Xbox and the only Play Station I've owned was a PS1 but I owned two Nintendo's, The NES with "robby the robot" and a Super NES, The last game system I bought was an Atary Jaguar that I hooked up to an industrial grade Wells Gardner 35 inch RGB monitor, That is the same RGB monitors used in the huge Sega Daytona arcade game that if I'm not mistaken cost two dollars a pop to play.

I think I was one of the first people to hook a Jag up to an RGB monitor because this was before the "cat box" or Atari had any cables you could buy, I used a little known and even rarer A/V adaptor call a "Jag Daptor" and I've never seen another one anywhere...

I made a cable to use that "Video RGB" plug which was a true RGB signal output!

I still have that huge RGB monitor, I fact it's right next to me as in typing this...

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#29 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (150 posts) -

Well since the rise of online gaming things have turned a lot more competitive. Being still pretty young I got a lot of pressure to play online games and found myself playing the likes of Fortnite, Warface etc and I didn't enjoy them one bit. I improved slightly in single player games because they boosted my reaction. Anyway the only game that I like playing is Brawhalla and while I do enjoy playing ranked, I'd rather much spend my time washed up in Bloodborne.

I think that gaming is still all about having fun but it has also become so much more than that. It has become a mdto boast about skills and prowess which is fine in moderation for competition can actually be fun but some people get carried away by the whole idea of stats and stuff. This was me at one point ruining my entire gaming experience because I gave a damn about fortnite stats. The good thing about single player games is that they can be fun but also demand some skill/strategy at the same time. E.g the Souls Series, Monster Hunter World, Super Meat Boy. All fairly difficult. I want to play Cuphead in the future XD and the Soul Series.