Has your priority/view towards gaming in general changed over the years since you started?

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 270 Posts

I don't know if this is the right forum to put this under but has your view or priority towards gaming changed over the years since you developed the interest?

I mean since i was 4 and up until i was 20 I used to find any opportunity i could after school/work was over to play them till i was tired,i was pretty invested into it checking sites like ign,gamespot and gamefaqs,visiting the flea market too see whatever they had that week,reading gamepro,electronic gaming monthly and game informer ...Now I won't get into the nitty gritty of what circumstances contributed to it but basically I started picking up some responsibilities and different interests as soon as got my 1st job and become more focused around my family. not that I've quit it altogether but It's kind of put to the side till all the "important" stuff is done for the day and maybe i'd still be able to put a few hours in at a time if i was lucky.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#2 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

@poarstman: So another way of saying you don't play games as much is saying you grew up a little bit and put life's chores as a more important priority.

Most people grow up I suppose???

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

My views have. Games used to be very different back in the day. However, many awesome games are still being released. That’s always a positive. I juts play games to relax. It’s a part of me forever I think.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 270 Posts

@brimmul777: @brimmul777:

I don't know ... I'm a adult but I kind of wish i could go back to easier times

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I despise the gaming industry more then ever now but yet it's the only hobby I really have left. When I was a kid it was more fun internet barely was a thing and gaming in general was more experimental. Nowadays most gaming companies just play it safe and do sequel after sequel we barely get anything new and exciting anymore.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11654 Posts

Probably enjoy games more now than ever.

Since the arcade days started casually playing on dance mats, and eventually made my way to Fighting games (Tekken Tag to be exact)

And this was all as often as I could after school, if had no outside responsibility to take. Love studying and experimenting with gaming mechanics, finding a preference that is my own. I think depth, level design, and polish are my three favorite aspects of gaming. Hence why I don't care much for story heavy or graphical centric games; a bit shallow for my preference.

Now over a decade later_ after long days of work, spend my travels and lunch pulling out a 3DS, phone, or Switch often just to get some small bursts of gaming time. And if my friends are online when I get back, prep my food and get in a chatroom, and likely a coop game.

I adore gaming. Don't always have the time, as OP mentions responsibilities come first. However if you enjoy something making time is good for mental health.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

Still one of my favorite hobbies being almost 30, but have a wife and kiddo now that take priority.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Movies followed by TV shows now take priority. The gaming industry bores me so much and for some reason I don't find digging through the classics as addictive as doing the same thing with movies. There are only like five games I'm looking forward to.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Well, for me personally only just recently I have found that I don't enjoy playing games as much anymore. Maybe my youthful spirit has kind of left me already. My attention span has grown shorter too. (I'm 23 now.)

It's also due to the fact that there's just not many new games that I'm interested in. I love many aspects of games that I enjoy, but I also want a game to make me feel happy while playing it if that makes sense.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#10 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

@poarstman: No argument there. I understand you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I still play video games, and I think I always sort of will in some capacity - we'll see. I think I will as long as there are the sort of games I want to play being made, and even then there's always old stuff to revisit.

I can't get into as many video games as I used to. Even 10 years ago I think I could juggle more games. But there are games I have now that I need to play and upcoming ones I am interested in.

Living situation/work-life balance has a lot to do with it also. Responsibilities and age, sure. And I've been a single man for several years now, so if I were to get involved with another woman I might game even less. Unless she likes playing some games too, maybe.

I don't think I can get into anything really deep right now, but the games I've wanted to play lately suit my current situation well.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Used to playing Counter-Strike and other Valve shooters 8 hours a day in elementary and highschool. Nowadays I have to work and practice piano (I'm a music major).