Has gaming gotten too expensive?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Does anyone else believe that gaming has gotten too pricey? We always hear of annoyances about how current gen games are 60 bucks and from what I've heard, even more in countries outside the U.S., but I sort of miss the days where I bought a console and my games and didn't have to worry about anything else. Sure, there was the occasional accessory, memory card or controller, but for the most part, it was reasonably affordable. Now we have all these online passes restricting us from buying the pre-owned version of games and barricading us from recieving our full gaming experience, DLC, online memberships, game exclusive memberships such as COD Elite, etc. It's very annoying. Plus, anyone who cannot access the internet is practically screwed over with almost every title released these days. Another annoyance is how publishers are completely disregarding future generations. Much of the content in many titles will not be available for them. I highly doubt young gamers are going to be able to access the Ceberus network for Mass Effect 2 or download maps for multiplayer titles in the year 2042. Are they devs hoping their games will lose all relevance by then? Heck, the Magnavox Oddyssey will still be sought after and it will be over 65 years old by then!

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I just bought 15 games for 65 bucks. I thought that was pretty cheap :P.

GoW Saga
Thief Collectioin
Alan Wake
Alan Wake: AN
Galaxy on Fire 2
Crysis 2
Saints Row 3
Beyond Good and Evil
LA Noire

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Look at Mini war gaming prices and then as it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i don't really understand you americans complaining about the freaking prices, here the games can cost up to 80 bucks or more, so stop freaking complaining... 60 bucks is not much for a new game for you americans. You get games first and cheaper. Saying it is expensive just creams my corn

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
No I don't think it has. Actually gaming can be quite cheap considering how fast and how far prices can drop on most games. Many retailers have quite a few deals for many newly released games as well. Then you have online services such as Steam that have huge discounts on game regularly. Online passes only affect used games so really you're much better of just buying new anyway. DLC and the other stuff you mention is extra content. There's a plethora of games one can enjoy without having Internet so that's not really an issue.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

No I don't think it has. Actually gaming can be quite cheap considering how fast and how far prices can drop on most games. Many retailers have quite a few deals for many newly released games as well. Then you have online services such as Steam that have huge discounts on game regularly. Online passes only affect used games so really you're much better of just buying new anyway. DLC and the other stuff you mention is extra content. There's a plethora of games one can enjoy without having Internet so that's not really an issue.Archangel3371

It is insane how fast games drop. You can get PC games for 40 before they are even out (pre-order) and brand new ones on sales for 25 and less at times.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

buying day one is expensive if everyone bought new....$65 is just way 2 expensive

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Gaming as always been expensive
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Pc gaming is cheap as hell, and console/handheld gaming is alright. I only buy games I have time for and I mostly buy old games for previous consoles. I'll rarely buy a game when it comes out except Halo because I play that with friends
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Firstly US prices are cheaper than most of the rest of the world, and usually come out before anywhere else

Second - prices are high only for launch and maybe the first couple of weeks. You can almost always find a game discounted before release or some store doing a day 1 promotion to get your business.

Thirdly prices are dropping really fast for so many games it's just not funny. Unless I really want a new game the second it comes out I'm perfectly happy to wait 3-4 weeks and get it for half the launch price, or wait for weekends like this where Black Friday and Steam sales are offering games at big discounts.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Games are the cheapest they've ever been

Not sales games, games if you buy them on launch day are the cheapest they've ever been in history

If that's a problem pick another hobby

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

Firstly US prices are cheaper than most of the rest of the world, and usually come out before anywhere else

Second - prices are high only for launch and maybe the first couple of weeks. You can almost always find a game discounted before release or some store doing a day 1 promotion to get your business.

Thirdly prices are dropping really fast for so many games it's just not funny. Unless I really want a new game the second it comes out I'm perfectly happy to wait 3-4 weeks and get it for half the launch price, or wait for weekends like this where Black Friday and Steam sales are offering games at big discounts.

Avenger1324
i have to agree there, i have to buy games 20-30 bucks more than americans depending on the game at launch. So yeah complaining about prices is just nuts when you look at what games have cost before
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Well, yes and no. Now more that ever the spectrum of gaming experiences available to the public ranges from the most expensive and prohibitive to the absolutely free. Never have so many options of prices and sales has been available on the market at the same time as of now and even if you didn't have a cent to buy games, there are tons of free to play experiences to be had. Something simply inconceivable a few generations ago. So in short, gaming can be expensive if you want it to be expensive.
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

NO! I was just at Toys R Us the other day and I was looking through all the different toys etc...And what I found was astonishing for example a simple lego set of some ship from Star Wars (not sure which ship looked like some kind of emperial shuttle) costed 90$! FOR LEGO! PLASTIC!!! And you should see how expensive all the other toys are its freaking ridiculous.

Video games are hella cheap in comparison and they probably offer you way more enjoyment!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

i don't really understand you americans complaining about the freaking prices, here the games can cost up to 80 bucks or more, so stop freaking complaining... 60 bucks is not much for a new game for you americans. You get games first and cheaper. Saying it is expensive just creams my corn

The_Last_Ride

Where is "here"? I'm going to take a guess and say Australia based on those prices but I have no idea.

As to the op's question, no, games are not expensive. Echoing what has already been said, instant gratification is expensive. If you -have- to have every game on launch day then yes, you are going to pay a premium for it, but digital distribution (where a game can be distributed for virtually no cost to the publisher) and the used game industry for console games have both driven game prices down significantly. Pretty much any AAA title on Steam can be acquired for $10 if you wait for a sale, and even console games on Amazon get some pretty decent price breaks over time. Sleeping Dogs was a great game that came out only a few months ago and it's already running between $20-$30, down from the original $60. Even MMOs are rapidly moving towards F2P models over monthly fees.

The only time this hurts is when you have a game that has a heavy online component since the population of an online community peaks at launch and stays in a pretty steadly decline thereafter. In the case of a game like this you would typically want to get the game at launch (also so you don't fall behind your friends in online progression), but again that's your choice.

-Byshop

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
It's pretty much as expensive as you want it to be, you play tons of free games and cheap games nowadays. Or you can spend a fortune buying new games for $60.
gunslinger024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#17 gunslinger024
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts
I wouldn't notice because Iv'e always been behind, I'm still playing games from a few years ago so I always get my games cheap anyways
The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

No it has not. Gaming has always been expensive (bit of a hyperbole, though...). ~15+ years ago, you could drop 45 USD on a game, which seems less expensive... until you account for inflation. Of course, prices back then varied more by region, so you might have a + 10 USD variation on average.

And really, compared to movies and television, gaming has great bang for your buck (unless you only put a couple hours into a game...). In some instances, gaming has a better cost:hour ratio than music or even books.

If one really thinks that gaming is becoming too expensive, then I'd recommend that they look at the PC, as well as Steam and GoG sales. If that does not convince them, then nothing will.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's pretty much as expensive as you want it to be, you play tons of free games and cheap games nowadays. Or you can spend a fortune buying new games for $60. dkdk999

Even at 60 dollars games are the cheapest they've ever been

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

Byshop

Where is "here"? I'm going to take a guess and say Australia based on those prices but I have no idea.

As to the op's question, no, games are not expensive. Echoing what has already been said, instant gratification is expensive. If you -have- to have every game on launch day then yes, you are going to pay a premium for it, but digital distribution (where a game can be distributed for virtually no cost to the publisher) and the used game industry for console games have both driven game prices down significantly. Pretty much any AAA title on Steam can be acquired for $10 if you wait for a sale, and even console games on Amazon get some pretty decent price breaks over time. Sleeping Dogs was a great game that came out only a few months ago and it's already running between $20-$30, down from the original $60. Even MMOs are rapidly moving towards F2P models over monthly fees.

The only time this hurts is when you have a game that has a heavy online component since the population of an online community peaks at launch and stays in a pretty steadly decline thereafter. In the case of a game like this you would typically want to get the game at launch (also so you don't fall behind your friends in online progression), but again that's your choice.

-Byshop

nope, not Australia, Europe
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator

nope, not Australia, EuropeThe_Last_Ride

Where are you using dollars? Or are you giving the prices in equivilent USD?

-Byshop

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I spend less on software than I ever have. With so many competitors for digital distribution on PC, it is very rare that I even spend over $30 for a new game. I just bought Dishonored for $22 2 days ago and that has barely be out for a month.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]nope, not Australia, EuropeByshop

Where are you using dollars? Or are you giving the prices in equivilent USD?

-Byshop

yeah, i am converting the currency used where i live to the usd
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator

I spend less on software than I ever have. With so many competitors for digital distribution on PC, it is very rare that I even spend over $30 for a new game. I just bought Dishonored for $22 2 days ago and that has barely be out for a month. BPoole96

Yeah, and it's not just crappy games that drop in price quickly either. Dishonoured was awesome.

-Byshop

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#25 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Most hobbies can be pretty expensive.

And gaming isn't too expensive for me because I tend to wait for a price drop. There's no need for me to go out and drop $60 for a new game right away.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#26 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I feel that most games offer a fair price for the content they hold over other electronics. It truly depends on what you want from the experience. For example, I'll use Black Ops 2.

For someone like me, Black Ops 2 completely justifies the price. I get hours with zombies, decent fun with the multiplayer, and multiple playthroughs for the campaign. For single player gamers, that $60 price tag might not be justified since the campaign is short. However, the game does offer hours upon hours of available content, so it feels justified to me. Most other games are the same way. A lot of games dedicated to single player experiences feature hours upon hours of exploration and content. Games such as Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, and even hack and slash adventures like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta have lengthy campaigns with tons of unlockables.

Of course there are exceptions and it all completely depends on what you want to do, but comparatively speaking I feel games definitely justify the price. CDs are usually 10+ and traditionally offer anywhere from 30 to 80 minutes of content. Movies (at the theater) or no less than 10 these days, average is 15 in the States, and last 90 to 120 minutes on average. Games cost 60 and a lot offer 100+ hours of content.

That and there are less hidden fees to me. Say what you will about online passes and DLC but at least gaming is blunt about it. I went to get an iPhone and Verizon and I have a 22% discount through work, and the damn bill would be $90 bucks a month. There's a $40 fee that exists just because you own a smartphone. You pay for the minutes, data, and text as a separate entity, then there's just this random $40 tacked on. At least gaming doesn't really have crap like that... (unless there are some anti Xbox Live)

The-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The-Gamer
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts

Here in Europe games have actually gotten a lot cheaper, and they also drop in price much more quickly.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#28 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I feel games are already over priced. They have the same budget as block buster movies, sometimes even less, and yet they cost $60. That makes no sense to me, they should cost the same as movies, $20-$40.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I feel games are already over priced. They have the same budget as block buster movies, sometimes even less, and yet they cost $60. That makes no sense to me, they should cost the same as movies, $20-$40.

ShadowMoses900
Movies have a number of ways to make money such as a theatrical release and dvd/blu-ray release, games are a one-shot deal. Also more people watch movies then play games.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Byshop  Moderator

ShadowMoses900

By what logic should games cost the same as movies? You do realize that a succesful movie has already made hundreds of millions of dollars in theaters before the Bluray or DVD version hits the shelves, right? Most all of the money made from video games comes from unit sales.

-Byshop

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
I'm just going to post this just for perspective's sake: atari-receipt-1981.jpg Adjusting for inflation. A game console plus 3 games: $211.60 in 1981 = $515.44 in 2011's money. Asteroids: $27.88 in 1981 money = $67.91 in current money. Space Invaders: $20.88 in 1981 money = $50.86 in current money Cost of development of Space Invaders for Atari 2600 = $11,000 (Made by a single person; Rick Mauer) in 1981 money = $29,554.99 in current money. Cost of development of a AAA game in 2011 = Over $20,000,000 (With teams of over 100 people) = Around $8,000,000 in 1981's money So while the comparative cost of buying stand alone games has remained the same or even gone down after 30 years, not to mention that the experiences of games are deeper and richer than 30 years ago, development cost in comparison have multiplied approximately 300 fold since then . If the cost of games had gone up in a proportional manner with developing costs, you'll be paying up to $18,000 for a new game.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I looked up all the games I've bought this year on Amazon and it averages out to about $25 / game. That's perfectly reasonable as far as I'm concerned.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
It depends on when you buy the product and where you buy it from.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
It's really only expensive if you buy everything 100% new at the time of it's release. Obviously the system is kind of expensive, but when you look at it, you get a DVD player, A gaming system, Blue Ray, Internet viewer, Social Media etc. So if you consolidate it's kind of cheap really :P Minus a DVD player. Get some nice speakers and it's a music player xD so the system is fine really. Then on the games side, yes they often are $60 each, but that's if you buy them new. They are even more if you buy special editions and honestly, unless your a diehard fan it's not worth it XD If you buy them used, take advantage of deals and use member privileges at places like game stop you can actually save a lot of money. I sold a few games with a pro account on a buy 2 get one free sale. I bought Dead Space 2, Oblivion, and Final Fantasy for about $2 :P if I bought them all new it would ahve been hmm $180 :P Just be a little patient and you're fine xD
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I'm glad I don't have to pay 50 bucks per memorycard anymore just to save my game.

And if you look at pc gaming Steam has made gaming very affordable if you can wait for the deals.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

The_Last_Ride

This. A thousand times this.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

MadVybz

thank you for understanding :)
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TrainerCeleste
[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

The_Last_Ride

I don't even want to know what your special editions are like then :lol: What about buying old used games? Anyway to get bargains that way? :P
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="MadVybz"]

TrainerCeleste

I don't even want to know what your special editions are like then :lol: What about buying old used games? Anyway to get bargains that way? :P

cheapest game i have ever seen abd bought has been 20 bucks. Limited or Special Editions depends on the game but usually cost over 100 bucks
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

It depends. You can always get games at cool prices.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MadVybz

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] thank you for understanding :)The_Last_Ride

cheapest game i have ever seen abd bought has been 20 bucks. Limited or Special Editions depends on the game but usually cost over 100 bucks

To add to all this nonsense, where I live, there are very few stores that sell games, so prices rarely drop for most games. Super Street Fighter 4 (a game that came out in 2010) is still being sold for $80. It's ludicrous.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] I don't even want to know what your special editions are like then :lol: What about buying old used games? Anyway to get bargains that way? :PMadVybz

To add to all this nonsense, where I live, there are very few stores that sell games, so prices rarely drop for most games. Super Street Fighter 4 (a game that came out in 2010) is still being sold for $80. It's ludicrous.

Or it's $20 USD on Steam so... do you not have access to Steam where you live? What about Amazon? $40 USD on there. Can you not use either of these services?

-Byshop

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] cheapest game i have ever seen abd bought has been 20 bucks. Limited or Special Editions depends on the game but usually cost over 100 bucksByshop

Or it's $20 USD on Steam so... do you not have access to Steam where you live? What about Amazon? $40 USD on there. Can you not use either of these services?

-Byshop

I don't use steam because I'm not a PC gamer. Amazon was a viable option until government taxes on imported goods shot up by 25%, so it wouldn't make much of a difference from buying local.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

I don't use steam because I'm not a PC gamer. Amazon was a viable option until government taxes on imported goods shot up by 25%, so it wouldn't make much of a difference from buying local.

MadVybz

Well, the console versions are less than $20 USD on Amazon right now. Even at 100% tax rate that would still only put it up to $40 USD which is the average price the rest of the world pays for it before taxes.

-Byshop

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

Byshop

Well, the console versions are less than $20 USD on Amazon right now. Even at 100% tax rate that would still only put it up to $40 USD which is the average price the rest of the world pays for it before taxes.

-Byshop

Well yeah, given if I wait for price drops. But by then I'll either lose interest or forget about a game I had my eye on. It's a bad habit of mine to be honest. :p It's why I've been more keen on tracking games here on GS.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Byshop  Moderator

Well yeah, given if I wait for price drops. But by then I'll either lose interest or forget about a game I had my eye on. It's a bad habit of mine to be honest. :p It's why I've been more keen on tracking games here on GS.

MadVybz

Well that's pretty much been the consensus of the thread. If you absolutely have to have every game at launch then you're going to pay out the nose for it. Granted, some countries will pay more than others due to taxes, import/export fees, etc but the gist of it is if you can wait a bit then the prices on gaming are actually pretty reasonable.

-Byshop

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

Byshop

Well that's pretty much been the consensus of the thread. If you absolutely have to have every game at launch then you're going to pay out the nose for it. Granted, some countries will pay more than others due to taxes, import/export fees, etc but the gist of it is if you can wait a bit then the prices on gaming are actually pretty reasonable.

-Byshop

Provided only if you have access to services that give you cheaper options. By and large, local prices are ridiculous where I live and price drops are a rarity. To hear someone in the U.S. complain about paying $60 or less for a game at their local stores just doesn't make any sense to me.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Byshop  Moderator

Provided only if you have access to services that give you cheaper options. By and large, local prices are ridiculous where I live and price drops are a rarity. To hear someone in the U.S. complain about paying $60 or less for a game at their local stores just doesn't make any sense to me.

MadVybz

Between all of the various online distributors that's a pretty wide net so I think in most parts of the world you have options. If you can't get good prices locally, then you just have to go online.

-Byshop

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TrainerCeleste
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] thank you for understanding :)

Hm I think if I lived anywhere besides America I'd have a completely different past time then I suppose :lol: