Has anyone received this about used gaming & selling used games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

It's titled, "Know Your Rights Before Signing That EULA", & it's about used gaming in general. I'm just going to post the link to the site below:

Link.

I'm like, what the hell is this?

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

It's sad but nowadays we don't own games, we own licences to play those games.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shinobi120

tjricardo089

Basically, publishers/developers are saying, "**** the gamers & their rights."

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Yeah this really annoys me...companies just keep making buying their games a lot less enjoyable.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shinobi120

[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

ShadowsDemon

Yeah this really annoys me...companies just keep making buying their games a lot less enjoyable.

One thing I can hope for is another gaming crash down the road to teach them a lesson.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="garland51"]

One thing I can hope for is another gaming crash down the road to teach them a lesson.

Companies don't really care about their fanbases these days. It's all about money. Such a shame.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts
I never buy used games anyway, so that isn't relevant to me. Used games are hurting the game industry. People should buy new games instead.
leilamayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 leilamayhem
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

I never buy used games anyway, so that isn't relevant to me. Used games are hurting the game industry. People should buy new games instead.GamerwillzPS

Really?

1) Not not everyone can afford to buy all their games new - buying used games keeps the consumer engaged in gaming, eventually leading to sales of new titles by that same gamer when they have the cash/are hooked enough on a series to get the game on Day 1 etc.

2) Used game sales drive the sales ofadditional hardware (e.g. a gaming headset); DLC etc.

3) The game industry bears the onus for responding to consumer trends. If used games are going up, there's a reason why, and using legislation and bullying to stop it does no good in the long run.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I never buy used games anyway, so that isn't relevant to me. Used games are hurting the game industry. People should buy new games instead.GamerwillzPS

Except for when companies decide to stop supporting redemption/access codes such as in the latest Medal of Honor. It really makes you question the point of supporting them if they won't bother following through with their new codes.

Plus, if they'd stop releasing every game at $60 they'd probably have better sales on new games. After all, when there are games that come out that are basically guaranteed to go down in price within a month, what's the point of buying it at $60 new? Just look at games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and AC: Revelations, both went down in price extremely quick, and by then the used price is even more appealing (at least at Gamestop which allows you to basically return it within 7 days for any reason).

If used games are hurting the industry then I guess I'm a bad person for buying NES, N64, original Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 games used. It's obviously better to just not play them ever.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Basically, publishers/developers are saying, "**** the gamers & their rights."garland51

That's a horrible thing to wish for.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

garland51

Nah living through 1 was plenty for me. I rather not go through it ever again.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Companies don't really care about their fanbases these days. It's all about money. Such a shame.

It's always been about money. If you have ever believed it wasn't, you are wrong. It's that simple.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Randolph
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]I never buy used games anyway, so that isn't relevant to me. Used games are hurting the game industry. People should buy new games instead.

Not everyone can afford new games, and many people who are buying new are funding those purchases via turning in old games and hardware. If trading in games was outlawed tomorrow you'd see an immediate effect on the next few blockbuster games and the Wii U/Vita when they release this year. People trade in old games and systems for the newest things. Less fortunate people buy those older games and hardware and become new customers later when/if they have more disposable income. The elimination of the second hand market would have as much negative impact on the industry as positive, in my view.
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

Used games arent hurting anything. In order for the game to be used, someone had to have already paid 60 for it. If developers are being hurt by used games, it isn't the person buying them that is the problem, its the people offering them for sale(gamestop). Also, Devs themselves are their own worst enemy releasing crappy or broken games that arent worth the price of admission.

Some games you can't find new anymore or they are incredibly difficult to get new. Are those people just supposed to say screw it and not play it because they can't find it new? This whole used game thing is stupid, just like online passes.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

No other industry whines about people buying used goods, why the hell should gaming be any different?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="garland51"]

Dracula68

Nah living through 1 was plenty for me. I rather not go through it ever again.

You lived through the crash of 1983? Just how old are you anyway? You're not the actual Dracula, are you?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]

Yeah this really annoys me...companies just keep making buying their games a lot less enjoyable.King9999

That's a horrible thing to wish for.

Isn't just horrible,it's stupid. If another gaming crash happened, it's going to affect everyone in the gaming industry and none of us want that.

HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
I rarely buy used games so this does not really affect me that much. I prefer owning a fresh new copy of the game over some used version of it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44688 Posts
I don't see what the big fuss is about used games, most the time I can find new copies cheaper than what the used game merchants sell them for, so I disregard the frugality argument entirely, plus when it comes to selling your games you get next to nothing for them, not unless you buy a game at launch for full price and sell it in the next couple weeks at best you might make like half the money you spent back, again something that just causes me to disregard that frugality argument. If one really wanted to save money most games drop by $20 within only a few weeks, and if not then a limited sale usually comes up to give a title a sales boost as sales stagnate. It's too much of a hassle for me to shop for used games because most games look like they've never seen a case in their life, used game stores don't have a sliding scale for quality so everyone treats them like crap before selling them, often games look like they've never been in a case in their life and when I'm in GameStop they're just as bad having discs not in sleeves or cases and the discs are just sitting scattered on the counter, their return policy is too strict they basically require you find out if the game is unplayable within such a short time that you might not actually know it's unplayable for weeks until you reach a certain point in a game where the system needs to read a certain part of the disc and can't access the information. I'm not arguing against used games because they hurt the industry but as a consumer I'm just not that big on them, about the only exceptions is when the publisher no longer publishes a game and it's damn near impossible to find it new except for jacked up prices on Amazon or Ebay.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dracula68

You lived through the crash of 1983? Just how old are you anyway? You're not the actual Dracula, are you?

Black_Knight_00

At that time I was 15.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]I never buy used games anyway, so that isn't relevant to me. Used games are hurting the game industry. People should buy new games instead.leilamayhem

Really?

1) Not not everyone can afford to buy all their games new - buying used games keeps the consumer engaged in gaming, eventually leading to sales of new titles by that same gamer when they have the cash/are hooked enough on a series to get the game on Day 1 etc.

2) Used game sales drive the sales ofadditional hardware (e.g. a gaming headset); DLC etc.

3) The game industry bears the onus for responding to consumer trends. If used games are going up, there's a reason why, and using legislation and bullying to stop it does no good in the long run.

^ This!! I couldn't have said it better myself.

If it weren't for used games, I probably wouldn't be playing games as much as I am.

Developers need to stop whining about used games. They need to suck it up, most of the people I know buy new games for $60 day one anyway!

Without used games they'd probably lose more money because it does keep the consumers engaged.

I hate how developers are trying every little thing they can to put an end to used game sales.

Before you know, games will be ID locked like in Metal Gear Solid 4 so only the person who originally purchased the game, or license rather, can play it. XD

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dracula68

If it weren't for used games, I probably wouldn't be playing games as much as I am.

GeoffZak

I would have quit long ago if that was the case. I only bought 1 full price game (Skyrim) last year and will only buy 1 full price (Borderlands 2) this year. There was a time in my past where I would waste money and buy so many games brand new on release date only to have them be like $10-20 by the time I got around to playing them. In 2007 I finally stopped myself from doing that.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Randolph

garland51

I don't actively hope for people to lose their jobs. But the sad reality is that when people are doing their jobs poorly, they deserve to lose them. The majority of this industry is doing their jobs very poorly right now. It's the industries responsibility to assess why people are buying used instead of new, and address that problem by giving them motivation to buy new. But they refuse to do that, and all the solutions to the "problem" as they see it leave the core issue unresolved... that core issue being that their games, by and large, are not worth the asking price. Rtaher than make the new option more appealing, they are simply trying to remove the other option altogether. Which will solve absolutely nothing, and could lead to exactly what garland here is wishing for.

Nintendo, at the very least, would come out unschated. They seem to not care about used sales of their games at all, because their games sell for more than a two week window at new prices, I believe the popular term is that Nintendo games have "legs". As opposed to the big budget blockbuster games on the HD consoles and the Sony portables. You can find maybe one or two used copies of Mario Galaxy 2 at any local Gamestop. The same Gamestop will damn near have a walls worth of Skyrim and Modern Warfare 3. It's on them to figure why that is. But through a combination of arrogance and pride, I doubt they will. Till then Nintendo continues to sail on a clear blue ocean while everyone else runs around like a chicken with their heads cut off.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Dracula68

At that time I was 15.

You ARE the actual Dracula! ;)

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dracula68

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]

Black_Knight_00

At that time I was 15.

Thank you Sir! I feel vindicated finally after all these years with this username:)

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]

At that time I was 15.

Dracula68

Thank you Sir! I feel vindicated finally after all these years with this username:)

Now now. It is not by my hand that you're once again given flesh :P

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Randolph
Well he was obviously brought here by humans, who wish to pay him tribute.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#28 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Well he was obviously brought here by humans, who wish to pay him tribute.Randolph

Tribute? He steals men's souls and makes them their slaves!

Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Should a Car company stop selling USED cars. When you buy a used car how much money does a company lose?
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Randolph

[QUOTE="Randolph"]Well he was obviously brought here by humans, who wish to pay him tribute.King9999

Tribute? He steals men's souls and makes them their slaves!

WHAT IS A MAN?!? A miserable little pile of secrets.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Thats copyright everywhere. You buy a CD, you don't own the music, you own the plastic. Same with anything else.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Basically, publishers/developers are saying, "**** the gamers & their rights."garland51

That's pathetic.

At least you get to enjoy gaming at all. Be thankful for that. I hope you're kidding, otherwise that's just sick.

sydstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sydstoner
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts
I've recently sold my 3DS and a load of games on various systems so I can get a shiny new VITA and shiny new VITA games on release, if I hadnt there would be no way in hell I could afford one. Please game companies stop shooting yourself in the foot. These passkeys and DLC rubbish is getting out of hand, stop ruining my favourite hobby.