Halo Combat Evolved Vs. Golden Eye 64

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
These are two great shooters, and both have aged badly, except probably Halo 1, it's still has some years left. These are considered the Console shooters to first give the PC a run for its money, and many people have them number on of best games of all time. So when you look at how similar they are and the learning curves they bring, which do you think is the better game? Notice: (Goldeneye is trademark gulf industries, gaming license owner Activision, Goldeneye 64 first released on Nintendo64 (C) Nintendo. Halo is a combat simulation sci-fi stationary, owned by Microsoft game studios, movies license is not fully obtained and free due to game owners discretion, first entry gaming wise appeared on Xbox One, created by Bungie on contract.)
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Back in the day I had more fun with Goldeneye. In 2013 I would rather play Halo since it has tolerable controls.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I don't think Halo has badly at all. Still fun to play. However I loved Goldeneye far more when it was new. Nowadays I can't enjoy it at all though.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I think Halo is way better than Goldeneye. Not only the graphics (which isn't really fair since it's an entire generation ahead), and the controls (2 thumbsticks); but also the story. The story and the characters in that story are way better.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Goldeneye is at a massive disadvantage with its age, as is Perfect Dark.  Perfect Dark 64 would beat every FPS like this if it was updated on PC.  Timesplitters is also awesome.  

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

In terms of influence, GoldenEye 007 had the bigger impact on the gaming industry.

In terms of playability, Halo has aged better than GoldenEye 007.

veolyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 veolyn
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

To be honest, I don't really like either game. Goldeneye 64 has aged horribly and I've never really been into Halo. But if I had to pick one to play today I'd probably enjoy Halo more.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

These are two great shooters, and both have aged badly, except probably Halo 1, it's still has some years left.Jakandsigz

lol. So Halo 1 has aged badly but hasn't aged badly at the same time?

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Was just playing some Halo co-op with my friend earlier today... The damn game plays just as good as it did in 2002 when I first played it. Can't say the same for GE.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

It's an unfair comparison. It would make more sense comparing GoldenEye to Doom or Half-Life, or comparing Halo to Metroid Prime or TimeSplitters. It makes no sense comparing shooters from two different eras, since that gives the game from the later era an unfair advantage.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts
i know goldeneye 64 has a lot of nostalgia and memories, but if you play it now, it's just a basic bland corridor shooter. whereas halo combat evolved, if you currently play it, is still a work of art.
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

I think Halo is way better than Goldeneye. Not only the graphics (which isn't really fair since it's an entire generation ahead), and the controls (2 thumbsticks); but also the story. The story and the characters in that story are way better.

[/QUOTE

these games cant even be compared to eachother. Halo is totally different than golden eye.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 supernes93

Goldeneye is at a massive disadvantage with its age, as is Perfect Dark.  Perfect Dark 64 would beat every FPS like this if it was updated on PC.  Timesplitters is also awesome.  

NaveedLife

PD XBLA is the definitive Speed Strafe FPS, of modern times.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Emerald_Warrior

[/QUOTE

these games cant even be compared to eachother. Halo is totally different than golden eye.

supernes93

Why not? It's simple question of what game did you like better. And they're both FPS at that, so it should be very easy to compare.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Goldeneye hands down.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#17 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I've only played Halo but loved the single-player campaign for it

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Halo 1 on PC.

I don't like to play FP shooters with a gamepad.

However, I will say that both were important console shooters that influenced many shooters afterwards. (GE with it's realistic guns and settings and well-used movie license and Halo with it's vehicle usage, exchangable weapons and health regen)

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 supernes93

[QUOTE="supernes93"]

[/QUOTE

Emerald_Warrior

Why not? It's simple question of what game did you like better. And they're both FPS at that, so it should be very easy to compare.

knowing both games very well I would say you can't compare the two.

LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

Halo for single player, Goldeneye for multiplayer.

thebamboozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thebamboozle
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

Goldeneye may not compare to Halo:CE, but it is still a fun throwback. It's multiplayer was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and had fun little easter eggs and cheats, my favorite being paintball mode. For more bang for your buck, of course Halo, but if you want a fun piece of nostalgia, it's Goldeneye.

Avatar image for Change_MyShorts
Change_MyShorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Change_MyShorts
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

I played Halo Combat Evolved at my cousins house December of 2001. At the time I still gamed on my Dreamcast.

Halo blew me away... you had vastly different levels, levels with huge scope, vehicle combat, in air combat, very smart AI, good story, fantastic graphics.

His neighbor bought an Xbox the same time frame, so we linked those puppies up, and played multiplayer with the neighborehood kids every weekend. Halo also set the FPS controller standard. The game still holds up to this day...Anniversary Edition proves that.

Goldeneye was great in its own right; however, Halo to me set the standard for how a FPS should be built and how one should play.

Had Xbox Live been around during the time of Halo CE, that would have sealed the deal.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Halo: Combat Evolved is my choice. Everything about it makes a more enjoyable experience than Goldeneye 64.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

Which is the better game? Sorry but this is bit unfair as comparisons go. Golden eye is a game from the mid 90's when console FPS games weren't really all that hot, and halo combat evolved came out in the early 2000's, on a far more powerful platform, with all the advancements of shooters made since golden eye behind it. Not a fair comparison really. Though I do believe that golden eye had the superior influence on the console fps genre. Many of the basics that are in Halo CE are built up from golden eye.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#25 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I didn't like either enough to finish them, but the grunts in Halo were cute so I'm going with Halo :lol:
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Halo

Exodus87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Exodus87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I can't believe you're even comparing the two. If your memories of Halo are fonder than those of Goldeneye then I feel very sorry for you.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#28 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

what happens to be playing on my tv right now-goldeneye007 for the nintendo 64 , halo is just to boring , cheap a blatent rip off of half life ,  i dont even wanna touch halo today, because they never do anything new , its the same ol bs all over again goldeneye is better hands down , 

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Halo without a doubt, the game was superior the day it hit the shelves and still is better years later. The game is just better than Goldeneye in every way possible from graphics to story and design and the multiplayer was fun on the PC version. Goldeneye is just terrible in comparison, sorry.
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I still play Goldeneye to this day in multiplayer with friends or when no one is about i play the single player campaign, ok halo obviously looks much better but for some reason i have more fun playing goldeneye than as master chief.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#32 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Goldeneye has aged much worse than Halo, even though I hate those kinds of comparisons.

I was always in the minority thinking that Goldeneye was never better than okay, and Halo I thought was just great when it came out. 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#33 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

what happens to be playing on my tv right now-goldeneye007 for the nintendo 64 , halo is just to boring , cheap a blatent rip off of half life ,  i dont even wanna touch halo today, because they never do anything new , its the same ol bs all over again goldeneye is better hands down , 

mariokart64fan

Halo and Half-Life have very little in common, especially since H-L borders on being a survival horror game half the time and Halo does nothing of the sort...it's about space war. Master Chief wouldn't even have a use for a crowbar. 

And the games don't even feel close to one another; Valve has a style to their games that Bungie didn't approach even slightly. 

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Emerald_Warrior

Master Chief wouldn't even have a use for a crowbar.

Blueresident87

Well of course not, Master Chief has super-stength.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Master Chief wouldn't even have a use for a crowbar.

Emerald_Warrior

Well of course not, Master Chief has super-stength.

Lol BTW, these polls seem to always be close. Most likely a combination of other members of the site from the modern gaming forums. That's a good sign, could bring back the old activity this place had. Excluding of course, the "N64 has better 2D than Saturn" and "Jaguar has better 3D than N64" threads that used to pop-up.
Abagnam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Abagnam
Member since 2013 • 122 Posts
Goldeneye is better.... but is older.... Nintendo should invest in a new fps
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jakandsigz
[QUOTE="Abagnam"]Goldeneye is better.... but is older.... Nintendo should invest in a new fps

Goldeneye is owned by Activision.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="Abagnam"]Goldeneye is better.... but is older.... Nintendo should invest in a new fpsJakandsigz
Goldeneye is owned by Activision.

I don't think he ment they should make another GoldenEye...

Part of what made GE so good in it's time was also that it was something yet unseen on console systems and beyond.

To just rehash GE once again wouldn't have nearly the same effect.

It would have to be a fully new, yet unseen type of game for a similar effect. (and well-made, of course)

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
As a console shooter, I sure spent the most time playing multiplayer on the PC version of Halo.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
[QUOTE="Abagnam"]Goldeneye is better.... but is older.... Nintendo should invest in a new fps

Metroid Prime was Nintendo's new FPS. As much as people seem to hate it when it's referred to as that.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I'm going to do one of these threads......

luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 luckykoopsie
Member since 2012 • 345 Posts

i have played both games with no life and i would say i enjoy golden eye more because halo brought in alot of noobs with its easy campaign. now halo has better multiplayer but only because its newer. this isnt a fair comparison but i put more hours into golden eye.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Emerald_Warrior

i have played both games with no life and i would say i enjoy golden eye more because halo brought in alot of noobs with its easy campaign. now halo has better multiplayer but only because its newer. this isnt a fair comparison but i put more hours into golden eye.

luckykoopsie

"noobs". Heh, I think someone is getting older than they think. :P 2001 was 12 years ago.

luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 luckykoopsie
Member since 2012 • 345 Posts

[QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

Emerald_Warrior

"noobs". Heh, I think someone is getting older than they think. :P 2001 was 12 years ago.

you're right. All of the kiddies who were noobs then are probably no longer kiddies now.lol