Halo 3 Beta Fiasco - Edit "Bungie States It Will Be Available Tonight"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zayas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 zayas_81
Member since 2004 • 1743 Posts
Well who would have guessed?! Its two hours after the official Beta countdown finished, and still no Beta... Bungie released the following: "Folks are reporting problems downloading the Halo 3 Beta via Crackdown this morning. We have alerted the appropriate Live authorities and they are taking care of the problem as we speak. More news as it comes in." The Bungie forums are going nuts, people called in sick to work, skipped school and bypassed sleep for this Beta, and their anger is showing, anger that is growing with every second that ticks by with no Beta, How could Bungie and MS not see this coming?. I'm doing OK myself, what I do find annoying is that the people getting screwed are are the ones that actually forked over $60 bones to get Crackdown. Lets say the beta gets delayed for just one day... Would Bungie HQ still be standing in the morning? :P EDIT: The Bungie frontpage states : "We're happy to finally announce that the issues being faced with the Halo 3 beta and Crackdown will be resolved shortly. The Microsoft team has found a solution and it's undergoing final testing now. Assuming the test pass goes according to plan, the fix will come in the form of a Crackdown title update within the next three to six hours. " SWEEEET!
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
That's funny because I contemplated calling in this morning as well, but thought better of it. Seems that was a good decision.
bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts
Proof that halo is a drain on society!
danmp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 danmp18
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
I drove home from work for 5 minutes to see if it was working yet, and no luck.  I'm disappointed this wasn't worked out previous to today
CubanLock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CubanLock
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Yeah, when I came home and saw that the option to download it was in grey, I was really pissed. I hope they fix it.
dlind70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dlind70
Member since 2004 • 2816 Posts
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/h/halo3/ Check the grey blurb on the left side
zayas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zayas_81
[QUOTE="dlind70"]http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/h/halo3/ Check the grey blurb on the left side

\ Yes, that blurb comes from the UK site, 1:00 PM in the UK would be 8:00AM EST, as I said, Bungie had a countdown that expired at 8:00 and they've already stated that there is a problem. Beta is 3 hours late as of this post, and from what I hear, an angry mob is gathering around Bungie HQ...
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
Yeah, lucky me for not jumping into the beta by buying crackdown right away. I'll be seeing how it will all turn out though, maybe I'll buy it tomorrow.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#9 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I was going to skip my two exams today and fail both classes for the beta...

oh wait... i really don't care that much about a beta

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts

I have a question, how did this fiasco happen? It's not like Xbox Live was brought to it's knees because so many people downloaded the beta, because no one is able to even download the beta.  They've been planning this for 6 months or so, and they knew if they messed up there would be thousands of raging nerds wanting blood in return for being screwed over.   This just makes little sense.

Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts
well that's why it's called a beta..it's not in final workign state...anyone who is surprised by this is really stupid or has never played a pc game beta or an mmo or used the internet.  Really it's not a big deal.
dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#12 dannyodwyer
Member since 2005 • 2179 Posts

well that's why it's called a beta..it's not in final workign state...Master__Shake

now thats just being silly Master_Shake. :D

The game is in beta. I think youll find the framework for delivering the content (xbox Live) has been on release for quite a long time. There is no excuse for this, but in all honesty, who didnt see this coming.

I would have thought that limiting the ammount of people playing it would have limited the downloads and stopped MS from having to financially justifying more servers (or whatever - im not sure exactly how the process works) for downloading customers. But surely they had the power to limit customers in various regions or so, downloading at different times.

I dunno, it all seems badly run considering thye knew the number of people who would be waiting to download it.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

I was going to skip my two exams today and fail both classes for the beta...

oh wait... i really don't care that much about a beta

smerlus
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I keep picturing that scene in Lord of the Rings, where all the Orcs and Goblins march out of Mordor, lips champing and spears waving.

I don't have as much of a problem with it, because I really liked Crackdown. I'm sure it'll go up soon.

i_hate_someone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 i_hate_someone
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
i would be dissapointed too. Bungie and MS must have underestimated the amount of people who would be trying to download the beta.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

I have a question, how did this fiasco happen? It's not like Xbox Live was brought to it's knees because so many people downloaded the beta, because no one is able to even download the beta.  They've been planning this for 6 months or so, and they knew if they messed up there would be thousands of raging nerds wanting blood in return for being screwed over.   This just makes little sense.

nuttybar

Well, I might be reaching for straws here, but remember the Prey demo fiasco and the hype it generated? Could this not just be a sort of hype tactic? Look at how the forums have exploded on this...

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts
[QUOTE="nuttybar"]

I have a question, how did this fiasco happen? It's not like Xbox Live was brought to it's knees because so many people downloaded the beta, because no one is able to even download the beta. They've been planning this for 6 months or so, and they knew if they messed up there would be thousands of raging nerds wanting blood in return for being screwed over. This just makes little sense.

TheCrazed420

Well, I might be reaching for straws here, but remember the Prey demo fiasco and the hype it generated? Could this not just be a sort of hype tactic? Look at how the forums have exploded on this...

That's possible sure, but this is not good hype.  This also makes Xbox Live as a service look sub par.  I'm willing to bet Sony execs are going to take jabs at this disaster in their e3 conference or something like that.  Also, a lot of people took a day off work or school for this, and they will be incredibly pissed off, making it more serious than past delays.

I was expecting Xbox Live to crash due to the demand of the beta, but for Microsoft to just not put it out through Crackdown at all? That's made this whole thing like looney tunes.

Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts

[QUOTE="Master__Shake"]well that's why it's called a beta..it's not in final workign state...dannyodwyer

now thats just being silly Master_Shake. :D

The game is in beta. I think youll find the framework for delivering the content (xbox Live) has been on release for quite a long time. There is no excuse for this, but in all honesty, who didnt see this coming.

I would have thought that limiting the ammount of people playing it would have limited the downloads and stopped MS from having to financially justifying more servers (or whatever - im not sure exactly how the process works) for downloading customers. But surely they had the power to limit customers in various regions or so, downloading at different times.

I dunno, it all seems badly run considering thye knew the number of people who would be waiting to download it.

Well the game itself doesn't need a public beta, what they are testing is the infrastructure for online as well as all the online features.  What's the best way to dimulate the load and issues of content delivery in a massive amount?  Offer a free public beta for the biggest game of the year.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44679 Posts
While it seems pretty crazy that something like this happens to something this big and anticipated since you would think they would have tested this 8 ways from Sunday to make sure every thing ran smooth I don't think it's really something people should get too upset over. It will be up eventually and who knows maybe they'll tack on a day or two extra for the inconvienence.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

Its still not working.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to play. Hopefully I can at least DOWNLOAD it tonight.

zayas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zayas_81
Beta available tonight! W00t!