GTA V gets blamed for mass shooting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So according to ABC and other news channels and sites, it gets the blame. Even though the game wasn't officially out yet...  Senator Louie Gohmert is ahead of this movement this time.

Video link

Now this isn't the first time games get the blame, but even when it's not out or has anything to do with the shooting.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

omg he is a frikkin moron.  at first I agreed with him, then he went on to blame the guns and not the person.  It is the killers fault and killers fault alone.  Not video games.  Not GTA.  Not guns.  

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I feel people just use video games as an excuse to hide the real problem.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

So according to ABC and other news channels and sites, it gets the blame. Even though the game wasn't officially out yet...  Senator Louie Gohmert is ahead of this movement this time.

Video link

Now this isn't the first time games get the blame, but even when it's not out or has anything to do with the shooting.

The_Last_Ride
This is american gun logic for you. Its not the gun or the easy access or the lack of control, its the person and videogames fault. :stoned: :stoned: This american politician must be the result of a long line of inbreeding.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I guess they figured they might as well do the scapegoating now and get it over with. 

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Why does it not surprise me that Louie Gohmert was involved? That guy has proven himself to be a moron time and time again. Even by politician standards he's bad.
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
I'm not at all surprised at this. I am shocked that it took them this long to do it.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

omg he is a frikkin moron.  at first I agreed with him, then he went on to blame the guns and not the person.  It is the killers fault and killers fault alone.  Not video games.  Not GTA.  Not guns.  

NaveedLife
It's their own damn fault. The damn government are the sole blame for this. Not making it stricter for to get guns and not helping this person. Why in the blue hell do they feel the need to constantly blame games?!
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Of course it does. Society is dominated by the ignorant.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
It's difficult to blame society or people because that's too complicated and they have responsibilities so it's easier to blame a product (particularly not in the same medium so they look less hypocritical). Moral panic and sensationalism also works. In simple terms- it's all bullsh!t
Mrod1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Mrod1212
Member since 2009 • 1165 Posts

Funny thing is this whole thing could of been prevented, if it wasn't for the incompetence of this government.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

What channel is this guy on? The young turk. Good to see someone with a head on his shoulders instead of up his ass.

Motokid6
It's a youtube show that has a live show from monday to friday i believe.

Funny thing is this whole thing could of been prevented, if it wasn't for the incompetence of this government.

Mrod1212
Yup, and he is part of that. He should rather blame himself for this
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

More of the same old nonsense from people lacking any real intelligence.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

omg he is a frikkin moron. at first I agreed with him, then he went on to blame the guns and not the person. It is the killers fault and killers fault alone. Not video games. Not GTA. Not guns.

The_Last_Ride

It's their own damn fault. The damn government are the sole blame for this. Not making it stricter for to get guns and not helping this person. Why in the blue hell do they feel the need to constantly blame games?!

The short answer to this is: Some people are really stupid, and the media is a real life troll.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I don't think his comments specifically about the video games were all that wild. He just said it was interesting that these people with mental health problems and play violent video games seem to have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy. I don't see that comment as too out there. I wouldn't let my 3 year old niece play GTA either because she might think that it's fun to hurt people and push her little brother off a curb or something. She might not have the critical thinking skills to determine that she shouldn't do that because he would get hurt. If someone is mentally ill, they might also lack critical thinking ability. The rest of his argument is completely bogus though.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Why does it not surprise me that Louie Gohmert was involved? That guy has proven himself to be a moron time and time again. Even by politician standards he's bad.JML897

I think calling him a moron is insulting to morons out there.

In a 2012 meeting of the House Natural Resources Committee, Gohmert stated his strong support of a trans-Alaskan pipeline, as a means for caribou to have more sex.[24][25][26] According to Gohmert, "When [the caribou] want to go on a date, they invite each other to head over to the pipeline. So [his] real concern now [is] ... if oil stops running through the pipeline ... do we need a study to see how adversely the caribou would be affected if that warm oil ever quit flowing?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Good God, what is this?! What is this fvcking nonsense I am hearing?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I don't think his comments specifically about the video games were all that wild. He just said it was interesting that these people with mental health problems and play violent video games seem to have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy. I don't see that comment as too out there. I wouldn't let my 3 year old niece play GTA either because she might think that it's fun to hurt people and push her little brother off a curb or something. She might not have the critical thinking skills to determine that she shouldn't do that because he would get hurt. If someone is mentally ill, they might also lack critical thinking ability. The rest of his argument is completely bogus though.

You are absolute right. The problem isent that this guy had a long history of mental illness, had 2 previous gun incidents where he "harassed" a construction worker by shooting out his tires" or that this incident led to his dismissal from the army reserves or that he called the police and told them that he was being followed and that the microwave told him to kill people, and then 2 days later he went down and was able to buy a shotgun with a ammo. The problem is a game that were not even released called GTA V. So nah the problem is of course GTA V......
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

omg he is a frikkin moron. at first I agreed with him, then he went on to blame the guns and not the person. It is the killers fault and killers fault alone. Not video games. Not GTA. Not guns.

EnoshimaJunko

The short answer to this is: Some people are really stupid, and the media is a real life troll.

Agreed, I am just saying, guns are not to blame.  This whole outrage over guns drives me nuts.  

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="EnoshimaJunko"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] It's their own damn fault. The damn government are the sole blame for this. Not making it stricter for to get guns and not helping this person. Why in the blue hell do they feel the need to constantly blame games?!NaveedLife

Agreed, I am just saying, guns are not to blame.  This whole outrage over guns drives me nuts.  

Of course the guns are not the problem, the problem is GTA V ;)
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I don't think his comments specifically about the video games were all that wild. He just said it was interesting that these people with mental health problems and play violent video games seem to have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy. I don't see that comment as too out there. I wouldn't let my 3 year old niece play GTA either because she might think that it's fun to hurt people and push her little brother off a curb or something. She might not have the critical thinking skills to determine that she shouldn't do that because he would get hurt. If someone is mentally ill, they might also lack critical thinking ability. The rest of his argument is completely bogus though.

You are absolute right. The problem isent that this guy had a long history of mental illness, had 2 previous gun incidents where he "harassed" a construction worker by shooting out his tires" or that this incident led to his dismissal from the army reserves or that he called the police and told them that he was being followed and that the microwave told him to kill people, and then 2 days later he went down and was able to buy a shotgun with a ammo. The problem is a game that were not even released called GTA V. So nah the problem is of course GTA V......

What are you, Fox News? Making way too many leaps in logic and discussion there, friend. I never said GTA5 was to blame. He never did either.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

The_Last_Ride

In switzerland you know who owns a gun? Everyone. Why? because the government issues them all citizens. Thats right, they are given guns by the government.

Now for another fun fact, how many people were murdered in switzerland in the most recent year? 52. Their population is about 8 million.

So how is it that a country where you can own guns, and the government issues its citizens guns that they have the lowest violent crime rate in the world and have for a long damn time? It has nothing to do with gun control, it has to do with the population being happy. Why are they happy? Because their country has a very very high employment rate, they have a very high education percentage, they have very good health care, and the government takes care of its citizens.

And yes, all of that was true. Each and every citizen is issued a weapon by the government and are trained annually in the useage of said gun. Their gun restrictions are a little tighter than ours but private citizens can still own rifles, shotguns and pistols that they buy for themselves.

So no, tighter gun laws will not solve the problem at all and it never will.

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts

Wow, that escaladed quickly... Somehow, I'm not surprised in the least.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Well, mentally disturbed individuals probably shouldn't be playing violent video games... and, oh yeah, not have access to guns.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

Gargus

In switzerland you know who owns a gun? Everyone. Why? because the government issues them all citizens. Thats right, they are given guns by the government.

Now for another fun fact, how many people were murdered in switzerland in the most recent year? 52. Their population is about 8 million.

So how is it that a country where you can own guns, and the government issues its citizens guns that they have the lowest violent crime rate in the world and have for a long damn time? It has nothing to do with gun control, it has to do with the population being happy. Why are they happy? Because their country has a very very high employment rate, they have a very high education percentage, they have very good health care, and the government takes care of its citizens.

And yes, all of that was true. Each and every citizen is issued a weapon by the government and are trained annually in the useage of said gun. Their gun restrictions are a little tighter than ours but private citizens can still own rifles, shotguns and pistols that they buy for themselves.

Kind of off topic, But in Norway nobody has guns and we have almost no murders at all. There are different ways to go about it. But in the end blaming videogames is stupid. Ignorance is what created this whole situation and they continue that by blaming games
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#27 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Goddamn. I called this shit. I turned to my dad yesterday and said, "I wonder how long its going to be before people start blaming video games and/or violent media for the shooting." Not that damn long apparently.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride
Daily mirror is also apparantly blaming Call of Duty
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
Video games should never be used as a reason a person does something. When a person goes on a shooting rampage it is not because of a video game but instead they are not mentality stable.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Gargus

I agree partially. In the US we would be better served by things like correcting economic inequality and legalizing marijuana. But at the same time, I see no problem with denying firearms to people who talk to their microwaves. Or blind people.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

What a shocker. Ignorant people saying violent games cause violence.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

?bb_attachments=870112&bbat=99975&inline

RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE!!!!

This is what the media feels like when it comes to blaming anything but the actual source of a problem. Those darn video games ruining society!