GTA - Isn't it time for a shake-up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RickGotti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RickGotti
Member since 2006 • 609 Posts

I generally like GTA games, less and less w/ each installment though. I just am getting to the point where i can't stand the mission structure & initials all over the map. It really affected how much I enjoyed Red Dead too. Anyone else (that doesn't just flatout hate the series) feel like something needs to radically change w/ GTA & sandbox games in general?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
I'll be happy if there is a playable female character and no annoying characters calling and wanting to do something at the worst possible moment ... or at all.
Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

Yup. The mission structure needs some more variety, or at least a sense of variety. Then, the stories are too roundabout for me. I loved the main conflict of Niko's story in 4, but everytime you encounter an important mission and get closer to solving his mystery you're sent on a 3 hour lull of meeting and doing services for completely unnecessary and unimportant characters. Manny Escuela, 8-Ball, etc. The story missions need to be tied closer to the main conflict. That's one of the big reasons I never finished GTA 4.Nikoseemed to have a great story for, butIgot tired of sifting throughso much recquired bs just to get to it.

Plus, they need to bring the fun back. Too much of the game felt like a hassle compared to earlier titles.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Out of all the games I found GTA4 to be the worse. I hate the level design. The Story was horrible.

They do need to do something to improve them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
No. I have been enjoying Vice City again, and it is my favorite GTA without a doubt. GTA 4 is close though.
mamelon2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mamelon2012
Member since 2011 • 309 Posts

No. I have been enjoying Vice City again, and it is my favorite GTA without a doubt. GTA 4 is close though.cainetao11

Totally agree with this. Vice city was IMO the best GTA. Instead of remaking or setting the next GTA in the San Andreas realm, they should remake a Vice City!

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

GTA is just fine. Rockstar tweaks whatever needs fixing and cuts away what isn't working. The problem with all the GTA games is that one WTF mission in each edition of the series which is insanely difficult and has to be repeated twenty times to get it right.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

The GTA series, make that all of Rockstar's games, need a shake up. Like allowing the player to create their character or choose from a female lead for a change, their male leads are always so bland.

Also some actual fun instead of realism, real life is real enough, games should be an escape from real life, not more of it. But it's unlikely that Rockstar's games will ever progress, so I'm looking forward to Saint's Row 3 instead of yet another boring Rockstar game.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I think GTA needs more customization options. Apart from that, it's all good.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i thought GTA 4 was a radical improvment over san andreas and hope they continue in that line
also did not like red dead, but that's just cause i hate western's.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Ok....what would you suggest? Is the mission structure in place a bad thing? EVERY open world game has the same mission structure. It isn't a Rocktsar exclusive thing. You have markers on the map. Go go marker, cutscene, mission starts, go here, do whatever the mission says etc. GTA, Saints Row, RDR, Just Cause, Infamous, Prototype, Assassins Creed etc. They all use the same mission structure. If it's time for a shake up, then by all means suggest something. What other option is there for the mission structure in an open world game? I don't believe the mission structure of the open world game is in need of a shake up. It's fine the way it is.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

i thought GTA 4 was a radical improvment over san andreas and hope they continue in that line

BlackDevil99

I can not say I found one thing that is a big improvment over San Adreas. GTA4 had so much gray. They story in GTA4 was not any good. The streets layout in GTA4 was just a pain to drive in.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

[QUOTE="BlackDevil99"]

wiouds

I can not say I found one thing that is a big improvment over San Adreas. GTA4 had so much gray. They story in GTA4 was not any good. The streets layout in GTA4 was just a pain to drive in.

Just graphics...

TheRedChannels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 TheRedChannels
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts

I like the improvements they made to Red Dead Redemption over Grand Theft Auto IV. The main beef for me in GTAIV was the checkpoint system. Say you accept a mission. You're told to go to a club and kill a mob boss. From there, you go to the club, kill the mob boss' goons, but he gets away, so you have to chase him down. Let's say you die at some point, or make a wrong turn, or fail in some other way, and you don't catch the guy. If you choose to do this mission again, you have to start over all the way from the beginning. Some of these missions are much longer and convoluted than that example, and it gets to be VERY frustrating. You literally cannot make any mistakes whatsoever.

In Red Dead Redemption, however, the longer missions get checkpoints WITHIN the missions themselves. So let's say you die in a mission that consists of three or four parts, like the example above. The game will ask you if you want to retry the mission and if you say yes, it'll put you at a checkpoint usually only a few moments before you died. It will never set you back several minutes, like GTA IV does. I'm hoping the next GTA has this same system.

John Marston was also a much more fleshed out character than any of the GTA protagonists, and the twenty-odd hours that I spent with him across the Wild West were some of the best hours I spent on a game ever. If GTA can bring some of the positive progress they made on RDR to GTA, it should be a stellar game.

outatime557

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 outatime557
Member since 2011 • 266 Posts

Grand Theft Auto IS the one sandbox franchise that are trying out new things tbh. While GTA is expanding in new ways such as physics, cinematics, immersion, realism, details and social networking, every other sandbox is still in last gen trying to expand on the same old "add more map, more vehicles, more guns, more scripted activites etc." formula. Seriously TC, you're asking for a shake-up for a franchise that just shook-up a whole genre through its last installment. :?

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

Gotta agree with ^^ that Rockstar is the one that's trying to shake up the genre. For example those missions where you're doing your own thing, and you get a phone call from someone who says they're in trouble, so you immediately have to go over and do that mission. That's a change in mission structure right there.

But Rockstar just needs to keep going in the direction they're going. For example, all the seemingly useless missions for cash are pretty much a requirement because the game needs to be quite long with a lot of missions. You can't make every mission a vital one. A nice twist would be that you need big amounts of cash to move the story along several times throughout. And the side missions would be the most effective way to get that cash. It would make those side missions feel important again, even when they're optional. But then, Rockstar have to make sure that there isn't some incredibly easy way to make a lot of cash in a dull way, like doing taxi missions in earlier GTA games.

Also, I'd like less cutscenes in general. Of course at times they're a great way to tell a story, but at times they're completely unnecessary. Instead of getting a cutscene when walking into a marker, the guy/girl should just walk out of their door once you step into a marker, and he/she will just tell you what's going on in the drive to the destination.

nancybrownom9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nancybrownom9
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
GTA is a nice and awesome game. Kids will enjoy this game. But, may be extend some features, the game will become highlight. I love this game very much. __________ Nancy.
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I think GTA is good as it is now -,- but still more costum would be great.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I would love to be able to play as a girl, sure its nice playing a guy whose a sycotic manic, but why cant the girls get some of that sycotic manic love? lol

But really, I loved GTA: SA > GTA IV, way more actually. The story in IV was good, I really enjoyed it, but I hated the map layout and the fact that things such as resturants and stores wouldnt really show up unless you stumbled apon them. I also miss how you cant rob store owners and enter the police station (with wanted level off) and catching the place on fire. I'll admit that I didnt really play GTA: SA or GTA IV for the story, but rather how it was so much fun just to mess around, which I feel GTA IV lacked the content to really make it fun to slack off.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

Player customisation and a change in setting are what I need from GTA.

And I don't mean something like the 80's with VC. I mean something drastic, like the future.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

[QUOTE="cainetao11"]No. I have been enjoying Vice City again, and it is my favorite GTA without a doubt. GTA 4 is close though.mamelon2012

Totally agree with this. Vice city was IMO the best GTA. Instead of remaking or setting the next GTA in the San Andreas realm, they should remake a Vice City!

"Remake" this is the reason why games are getting stale, at least the FPS genre people just want multiple copies of the same game. I don't really want that to happen to GTA.
theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 theswede88
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts

I like GTA, been playing them all, VC and San Andreas I rly enjoyed, GTA4 I think was rly good but was disapointed that thy removed stuff, that they went back to like, old GTA but just with a better graphic, hope there will be a better version next time

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
What they need to do is take their time with the next release and think about how to make it stand out. I enjoyed GTA IV but it was too generic and there were a couple of features that just didn't need to be there. I really liked San Andreas, with its varied settings and mission styles and huge map. There was so much to do in that game and it kept me entertained for quite some time. Not to mention the LA Gangster setting being somewhat uncommon compared to the mafia setting of III and VC. It won't be hard to improve upon III - give us a new setting with a large, varied map, an interesting storyline and an array of new features that will interest us. The problem is the setting. Just doing another big city would make it too similar to the other GTA games. They could try going outside of the US. I wouldn't like to see london as I live there anyway so it wouldn't interest me much. Some other places have already been done in other Rockstar games. Maybe they could do something silly like a futuristic setting.
killerboi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killerboi2
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

Gta 4 was missing the fun element that vice city and san andreas had. For example, i used to find riding motorbikes in vice city and san andreas fun, but in 4 it just felt like something you could do, i mean it wasn't realy that fun. I think they just need to get back to wat made the games so fun in the first place, which is over the top characters, recognisable songs and ridiculous missions.

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GrindingAxe
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts
Fix the broken cover mechanics and improve the fighting controls. I'd have much more fun if these two things were vastly improved/revamped.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Yes, they should return it like how it was in the beginning. 2D bird eye view and running over Hare Krishna monks. Oh and it should be on PC only :D

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mind a character customization in the game. Preferably like Mass Effect, in that you can't really go crazy and make your character with the ugliest face, and that both a male and female character would have a slight variation in the script in accordance with the gender, with a detailed back story.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Out of all the games I found GTA4 to be the worse. I hate the level design. The Story was horrible.

They do need to do something to improve them.

Yeah I agree. GTA 4 was a step back in the series IMO. San Andreas was the high point for me & the series needs to go back towards that formula. GTA 4 was too realistic IMO.
TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Yeah, go back to San Andreas style with several cities and countryside. Stay the hell out of Liberty City for the next 30 years. And for God's sake, give the option to replay missions immediately after failing. Also, I never like chase missions. I like cleverly scripted missions and ones that give you options as to how to get the job done.
Mafty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Mafty
Member since 2003 • 74 Posts
I always found the games far to sandbox and not enough linear. I dont like pure linear games, but the game needs direction and story. Not just roaming around and killing stuff
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

What will instantly make me like GTA:V more than IV is if they have more than one air port AND if you can actually fly the airplanes. I hate it how I can only fly helicopters in IV. I tell you, when I manage to get to one of the air planes at that air port without getting a 4 star wanted level right off the bat, I pressed Y and nothing happened! :evil: I can understand why GTA would have static objects such as telephone poles and the trailers that hook up to trucks in rl, but really? a static plane? (also im talking about the small jets, not that big beoing jet) That pissed me off so much when I learned I couldnt fly them.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
What exact something needs to be radically changed?
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

1) The fighting usually sucks donkeydong in a GTA game.

2) In mission saves. Nothing more frustrating than having to start the same mission over and over.

3) In general, I agree, this series needs a major reboot.

4) Don't even get me started on the misery of driving.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

San Andreas did so many thngs well that GTA5 got away from. customizations, body modifications based off your actions and having a lot more to purchase like homes. there was no incentive to making money in GTA5