Growing out of gaming?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MylesB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MylesB93
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

Over the past few years or so, I haven't really been enjoying gaming the same way I used to. There's been a handful of games that I've loved (Ni No Kuni, The Last Of Us, Pokemon X, Darksiders 2 to name a few) but most of the games I've been playing, I'll lose interest in pretty quickly and I'll either not finish them or have to force myself to. I don't know if it's just that the quality of games has been getting worse, if it's just a phase or if I'm slowly growing out of gaming... I bought a PS4 day one but I hardly play the thing and that doesn't look to change any time soon with the lack of decent games coming up (I'm building a PC so I'll probably end up buying most of my multiplats on that.)... What do you guys think I should do? I don't want to stop gaming as it's always been a big part of my life. Have any of you ever been through this before?

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

.. I used to spend ALOT of time on PC. Age of empires and the original call of duty's were just amazing for me and hold so many memories with friends. Work takes over my life now and I don't have time to get excited. A few games I do like Skyrim or Titanfall...I make time for those games.. You need to try and really immerse yourself in a game and story, that's what I do now and it sometimes works.

In reality most games are generic now and its hard to get excited like I used to for new IP's.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I find that I don't get as immersed into many games these days. Some of them are different. Like any RPG will usually have me pretty into the world and characters. FPS games though are really hard to become a part of. Sometimes I don't even know what the story was right after finishing it. It's kinda sad when something is just THAT forgettable.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well.... Looking at the games you mentioned, its not for lack of trying.

I think not gaming just might be good for you.

Do what I can't, Live the life I couldn't ! ! ! BE A REAL HUMAN BEING ! ! ! :D

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

You probably just need to play games with more depth. Most games coming out, especially multiplats on consoles, have shifted focus on accessibility to the extent that the games just don't have much substance. Maybe give games like Fire Emblem, Civilization 4 or 5, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Total War, The Last Remnant (PC version), Valkyria Chronicles, etc. a chance. See if playing something that requires a lot of preparation, thought, and planning keeps you occupied better.

MylesB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MylesB93
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

You probably just need to play games with more depth. Most games coming out, especially multiplats on consoles, have shifted focus on accessibility to the extent that the games just don't have much substance. Maybe give games like Fire Emblem, Civilization 4 or 5, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Total War, The Last Remnant (PC version), Valkyria Chronicles, etc. a chance. See if playing something that requires a lot of preparation, thought, and planning keeps you occupied better.

Really like this suggestion. I was planning on getting Fire Emblem and Bravely Default quite soon - like I said, Ni No Kuni is one of the better games I've played over the last year and I've always loved RPG's. Getting FFXHD next week aswell and I've already got The Last Remnant on Steam which I'm kinda looking forward to trying out (along with the Mass Effect trilogy)... I've never really given RTS's a chance so maybe when I get this PC, I'll try some of those games. In fairness, the games I've been playing include Killzone SF, Assassins Creed 4 and Battlefield 4 so maybe I'm just playing the wrong games...

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I've gone through a similar phase. What I ended up doing was going back to older generations of games, and so I stopped putting all of my stock in the current gen. Doing that revived my love for the hobby, because it allowed me to play more games that fit my tastes better, and I was able to enjoy modern games a little more because I didn't need to have high expectations for them. I also stopped paying attention to what game sites and reviewers hyped up, because listening to them is what got me tired of gaming in the first place. Their AAA and GOTY winners, I find to be incredibly boring and shallow most of the time, while the more interesting stuff that focuses on gameplay and speed tend to be under the radar.

phishyphishy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 7

#8 phishyphishy2
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

Yup. Looking back on some games I have played and beaten, I realized the abuse I have taken in my gaming life.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ride a Bike instead.

Or Cure AIDS. Let somebody else rescue the princess.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

We grow, we live, priorities change. Malaise for gaming is not uncommon, it happens to most gamers at some point. Even I went through a phase of my life where I didn't game much. When my daughter was born and a couple of years later when the divorce fairy granted me my one true wish, gaming was low on my priority list.

And then the Dreamcast came along. Yay.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

As said above, try playing different types of games... If something like Civilization 5 doesn't get your gaming blood flowing, nothing will!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PurpleMan5000

@MylesB93 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Really like this suggestion. I was planning on getting Fire Emblem and Bravely Default quite soon - like I said, Ni No Kuni is one of the better games I've played over the last year and I've always loved RPG's. Getting FFXHD next week aswell and I've already got The Last Remnant on Steam which I'm kinda looking forward to trying out (along with the Mass Effect trilogy)... I've never really given RTS's a chance so maybe when I get this PC, I'll try some of those games. In fairness, the games I've been playing include Killzone SF, Assassins Creed 4 and Battlefield 4 so maybe I'm just playing the wrong games...

My experience with strategy games has been that I don't like them all, but the ones that I do like can keep me occupied for a long, long time. I would recommend giving some of the higher-rated TBS and RTS games a try and seeing what you like. You don't want to write everything off just because the first game you tried was a dud. Starcraft 2 and Company of Heroes are both RTS, but they are about as similar as Assassin's Creed is to Skyrim.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I've been Playing since GTA san andreas . but I was never a Hardcore gamer . I didn't play a lot of games . I usually spend 4 - 6 hours a week for gaming and thats why I don't get tired of it . because I never was a serious gamer in the first place . I like games with good Story and Art Style . I enjoy MGS series , Mass effect , Deus ex , Witcher .... and games like that . i think you should start playing games with more depth in story .

Actually there are many games that I would love to play .... but Collage .... :/

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PurpleMan5000

Also, I never say this, but if you are going to play The Last Remnant, you should do yourself a favor and read a wiki or something, making sure you avoid spoilers. The game tells you absolutely nothing, and it's kind of important to understand how to create healers, craft weapons, get your soldiers to grow the way you want them to, etc. You will need an Xbox 360 controller. Also, the battles appear to be completely random at first, because you will have groups that you order around basically by saying "attack with mystic arts" or "attack with combat arts", but there is a button you can press on the controller that will make the game actually display what each individual soldier will do with each command, so the game really gives you a whole lot more control than it appears to. The game starts off pretty easy, but becomes very difficult. If you don't build your team properly, you could find yourself in a situation where you can't revive fallen parties, and you could potentially work yourself into an area that you simply cannot pass.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

I never understood why people say they're growing out of gaming, to me it's like saying you're growing out of watching t.v. or movies or surfing the internet. I do all those things, my advice is mix it up and keep it interesting. I think it's more to do with the quality of games your playing and your personal preference, I'd say don't be afraid to try games that certain reviewers regard as average.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

You'll find PC gaming more enjoyable I think

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

tlou and gta5: I despise them both.

SlyRoxas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SlyRoxas97
Member since 2014 • 59 Posts

I've never gotten bored of gaming, if anything I've been gaming more than ever the past year or so.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Just take a break from gaming for a while, and spend more time doing other things.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Whenever I get bored of gaming, I just take a little break and then I start to miss it and return to loving it again.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Maybe what you need is a rather complex game - to take a break from the usual cod clones.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Take up some other interests and take a break from gaming, after a while the craving to play will come back to you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5893d0a8c8591
deactivated-5893d0a8c8591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5893d0a8c8591
Member since 2008 • 94 Posts

I wouldn't call it "growing out of gaming". You grow out of playing with toys, well, some of us do. I would just say I got tired of videogames.

...But I never will.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No, but I've become much more selective and discriminating about the hobby. No longer do I have patience to trudge through a game I don't particularly like or enjoy, and if it annoys me too much I stop playing it.

Take Tomb Raider, for instance. At first I thought I was going to love the game, but after a few hours I started suffering from nausea and headaches due to the unstable camera in the game. Gave it a second chance and almost puked up my dinner, so I haven't given the game another thought since.

I'm also done with online FPSs, because I just can't deal with the immature people playing them. They're terrible people for the most part, and they hate other players with a passion, regardless if you're good or bad, winning or losing. If you're bad, they'll kill you again and again and humiliate you any way possible, and if you're good, they'll kick you for beating them, send you hate mail, steal or destroy your stuff in the game, team kill etc.

Since I've been gaming for a very long time now I just play what I like, avoid the stupid internet hype, don't fall for peer pressure tactics, replay older games and get very picky over the new stuff that comes out. As is I still enjoy gaming very much when I cut out the fat.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts
@187umKILLAH said:

I never understood why people say they're growing out of gaming, to me it's like saying you're growing out of watching t.v. or movies or surfing the internet. I do all those things, my advice is mix it up and keep it interesting. I think it's more to do with the quality of games your playing and your personal preference, I'd say don't be afraid to try games that certain reviewers regard as average.

You've obvious never seen someone just give up gaming have you? I've had some friends give me their games/systems or sell'em, At first, I was like cool I got some games to play then I'd go so how much I owe you or when do you want them back.... Oh I don't need'em I'm giving it up, I was so hurt there's no word to describe it. As for TV and movies people are dropping or not paying for movies because they have lost interest in it or it's to pricey.

spuggylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spuggylad
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've bought every Call Of Duty on the 360 and have recently been playing Ghosts. But I've grown tired of the copy & paste style that comes with pretty much every FPS these days.

A couple of months ago I went back and started playing a little bit of Call of Duty 4. I dedicated so much of my time to that game back in the day racking up a playtime of over 20 days. After playing it the other day I'm hooked on it again. It removes all the complications of the modern call of duties and has less of the annoying little pre-pubescent shitbags that plague the online universe today.

What I'm trying to say is, maybe you need to find a game you loved in the past, no matter what generation of console, something that was quite iconic to you, and replay that and see if it rekindles your love for gaming.

Some people sit and play really old games all day long with no interest in any modern stuff and they're happy as Larry, maybe that could be you?

:)

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I do plan to put less money and time into gaming compared to the 7th gen. One console, less games, less online gameplay, no wasting time on games that are less than good. I got other crap to do.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#28 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@MylesB93: You might just be burnt out, it happend to me aswell. I just stopped for a little while and began again. So it's normal

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

@renegadesteve said:
@187umKILLAH said:

You've obvious never seen someone just give up gaming have you? I've had some friends give me their games/systems or sell'em, At first, I was like cool I got some games to play then I'd go so how much I owe you or when do you want them back.... Oh I don't need'em I'm giving it up, I was so hurt there's no word to describe it. As for TV and movies people are dropping or not paying for movies because they have lost interest in it or it's to pricey.

No I haven't seen anything like that before, I might have a break from gaming and watch movies for a while then go back to gaming though but I could understand if someone stopped due to being too busy like they got a job or have a kid etc but that doesn't explain the 'growing out of gaming' term though. It's not like there's an age limit on enjoying gaming.

pboontap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pboontap
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

maybe growing out of gaming isn't the best way to say it, perhaps just moving on. i did the same thing with tv, and movies for the most part. i just don't enjoy it that much, but i grew up with four channels and being told in no uncertain terms that i had better things to do than tv. as for movies call me crazy, but i miss going to the local movie store and picking up a game or a movie, and redbox just don't cut it.

i've also just about come to the conclusion that the video game industry is leaving me in the dust. i still play a few games that i have a great love of, but it takes a pretty big rpg to really get my attention now or a sequel. idk, hell look at this site, anyone remember it from 5 years ago? how about 10? games and the game industry are changing, it was a niche but now its on par with hollywood and all the shenanigans that entails.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

@187umKILLAH: Man that's all they did at the time was work now that they got a family he has no time.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

It just might be a good idea to take a break and catch up later down the line. I've went through a period where I didn't game for 3 - 4 years and missed out on the most of the PS3 / 360 gen. Looking back, I'm glad I was late to the party. Paying $20 - $30 for GOTYEs and complete editions beats paying $60 plus DLC any day.

Even though I've enjoyed games like BIoshock 1, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Deus EX HR, I couldn't imagine paying $60 plus tax at launch and having to spend even more on DLC. I'm doing the same thing with 'next gen' PS4 / X1 since there are no worthwhile games out anyway.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Compared to most gamers, I probably game in moderation. So, I never get tired of gaming.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

yes, I've "grown out of gaming" before but you just have to find something to revitalize your interest in the medium. I played FPS games TFC and CS for around 6-7 years straight and became before of the genre (even before the console resurgence). At that point I was bored of gaming until I found the hack-n-slash genre.

after beating the small handful of titles that the genre has to offer, I was back in the same situation. I then got into shmups and back into point and click adventures. shmups are nice because you can game in a 30 minute spurt and be done for the week.

a couple years into my newly found shmup interest, I got the craving to clear a couple RPGs/action games.

you just have to find your way to get back into it... otherwise, it might not be your thing any more :O

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

You don't grow out of games

Do u grow out of watching movies?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

I'am somewhat the same, in the sense that unless a game really brings something new to the table, I will lose interest FAST! However this year so far has been pretty innovating and surprising to say the least. Thief IMO wasnt so good, but South Park STOT, TitanFall and Dark Souls 2 have REALLY peaked my interest, hopefully I can expect the same from Infamous, Destiny and the next Halo!

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

I dont think I will ever grow out of gaming, as long as stuff keeps getting made that I enjoy....

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nep321a
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

Gaming is like masturbation. Just take a break from it for a while, then come back and you'll be in the mood again.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I'm like many of you. I tend to get tired of gaming every few years and take a break. I always come back after a few months, though...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I've been gaming for getting on 40 years (yes my dad bought our first 'TV game machine' in 1975). The impulse to game comes and goes, I play games of all genres and types from action games to long winded strategy titles. When I get bored it's usually after a term of playing action games that require little thought and have virtually no staying power, that's when I generally switch to strategy games that do require thought to play.

Building a PC is probably the best cure for your malady, as you'll get immediate access to almost every genre you can think off and an enormous back catalogue of games you'll likely never even have considered playing on a console, if they are even available on consoles.

I'd recommend

Total War : Empire or Shogun 2 (Rome 2 is good for beginners as well as you'll not have any pre conceived expectations) or Europa Universalis IV to get your teeth into and offer a challenge

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

@sukraj said:

You don't grow out of games

Do u grow out of watching movies?

perfectly stated.

it's, obviously, about the games.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

No, but I've become much more selective and discriminating about the hobby. No longer do I have patience to trudge through a game I don't particularly like or enjoy, and if it annoys me too much I stop playing it.

Take Tomb Raider, for instance. At first I thought I was going to love the game, but after a few hours I started suffering from nausea and headaches due to the unstable camera in the game. Gave it a second chance and almost puked up my dinner, so I haven't given the game another thought since.

I'm also done with online FPSs, because I just can't deal with the immature people playing them. They're terrible people for the most part, and they hate other players with a passion, regardless if you're good or bad, winning or losing. If you're bad, they'll kill you again and again and humiliate you any way possible, and if you're good, they'll kick you for beating them, send you hate mail, steal or destroy your stuff in the game, team kill etc.

Since I've been gaming for a very long time now I just play what I like, avoid the stupid internet hype, don't fall for peer pressure tactics, replay older games and get very picky over the new stuff that comes out. As is I still enjoy gaming very much when I cut out the fat.

Mostly this. I still love gaming, but I have less patience for mediocre games or games that fail to innovate. I've been so done with FPS as a genre for so long, I don't even look at an FPS unless it's got something unique like strong RPG elements such as Deus Ex. No move linear "hallway simulators" like FF13, no matter how cool the cutscenes look. These days I'm far more interested in indie and kickstarter titles that try to recreate the genres I loved when I was a kid (i.e. Star Citizen, Wasteland 2, various turn based empire building games, etc) or even new ones like all these procedurally generated sandbox games. Newer games may still be of the same level of quality (or even higher quality) than the games I've already played, but if it's just "more of the same", then who cares?

Just like I enjoy anime, but I'll likely never watch another anime about a socially ackward high school student. It was funny the first 100 times I saw that premise. Bring on something else like Death Note.

-Byshop

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

im 32. my wife thought I would grow out of gaming, and I thought so too. Back when I had a GC and PC, my friends had xbox and ps2, I got increadibly bored and starting to give it up. well, that was 8 years ago and i play more today then i ever had. I got a Wii and it renewed my video gaming. Despite flaws, motion controls are awesome. I logged 1000s of hours over a new PC, Wii, Ps3, 3ds over the last gen, and still continue to play today with probably 200+ games over my few systems, and i know i will be getting a OC rift or Morpheus as my next gaming hardware purchase. until then, ill keep using my Wii U gamepad daily when im not playing dark souls 2.

whitesoxdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 whitesoxdude
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

I'm kinda going through the same thing. I wouldn't say you've grown out of gaming, but your interests most likely have shifted. You'll always make your way back to the games though, at least that's what I've heard.

hshaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hshaidar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Me too. For the past few years i dont have time playing online game. But then since vacation is coming i'm focusing on playing MMORPG games again, right now my obsession is Eclipse War Online i love how character transformation works, Haven't seen this feature on other MMORPG games.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Whenever I get bored of gaming, I just take a little break and then I start to miss it and return to loving it again.

Pretty much this, also it helps if you game on different systems like mix it up, game on PC for a little while then game on a Vita or 3DS and after that go game on a console.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

You're probably just burnt out. It's happened to me when I just wasn't in the mood and couldn't play a game. After a while you get right back into the swing of things, you never grow out of gaming baby ;)

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@BattleSpectre:

This is pretty much what I would say. There are times when I think about gaming but instead watch a movie or dvd instead. There are times when releases are slow so you do other things. At the moment I am playing a lot of multiplayer with a friend on Fifa and Battlefield, but a few weeks ago my Xbox One was kind of sat there not being used much as I was more into Counter Strike. It swings in roundabouts and to the TC, I would say do not worry or overthink it. Go with the flow, if you are stuck for ideas maybe try some indie games or see what is on Playstation Plus and try something new. That or just do other things until you get the urge to play on your Playstation 4 or whatever other console(s) you may or may not own. If you don't then its not the end of the world, but I have been through this before, just don't worry and do what you feel you want to.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I've never grown out of gaming and I'm in my late 40s. My tastes have changed numerous times over the years. I am less likely to spend time on a stupidly frustrating game like Demon's Souls than I would have when I was in my 20s. I've also found that I almost never play online anymore unless it is with close friends. But good games are still enjoyable and I expect I will be gaming until I die.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

What could also help is playing multiple games at the same time and not trying to finish one game and then move on to the next. Right now I combine Spelunky, FTL, Syberia 2, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, PixelJunk Eden, Hitman: Absolution and Dark Souls 1. Granted, these aren't the biggest or most current games, but they make for a nice mix and I got them for very little money on Steam... They all require different ways of thinking, so if you play them all for a short while, you'll get a lot of variety. Of course I'm talking about a pc here, but the principle could well apply to other platforms.