This topic is locked from further discussion.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

At what point did every single JRPG developer decide that they should implement the requirement to grind in every f*cking game? I just got Ni No Kuni the other day, and have had to grind more than a handful of times to pass bosses. 

Considering most of the battle systems in these games are pretty monotonous, why do they always insist you spend hours running around fighting little monsters in order to take on big ones. It just gets so f*cking boring! The same 4-5 moves, the same one liners after each battle, the same idiotic friendly AI...WHYYYYYYYY?!

Am I alone in this belief? It's a shame because I tend to enjoy the setting and story of these games, but their actual gameplay is almost always a let-down, and  tends to not allow you to further experience the story unless you grind for hours on end to beat tough enemies. They don't exactly require skill, they just require a huge amount of time to be sunk into them, doing the same thing over and over. 

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I find that I avoids grinding as much as I can in JRPG. I get stuck in a JRPG then I just get a level or two and win the fight. They are better when you try to run them as low as you can. I skip many fights in JRPG to keep my levels low because I enjoy the combat form JRPG.

If you want me to talk about where I do grind then I would talk about WRPG. I will just run around killing monster so I can be overpower and shorten the combat as much as possible. Most WRPG combat is just bad.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts
JRPGS are like a thousand times more fun when its difficult. I'm usually pretty low level. I beat FFVII the first time at level 45, Sephiroth was terrible but I felt pretty good when I beat him.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="good_sk8er7"]JRPGS are like a thousand times more fun when its difficult. I'm usually pretty low level. I beat FFVII the first time at level 45, Sephiroth was terrible but I felt pretty good when I beat him.

My only experience with making RPG's more difficult is the game just readjusting the enemy stats, all that does is make fights last longer. I guess its easier than making it smarter. In shooting games with co-op all they do is make the enemies go agro on you.
iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts
JRPG = Notice the J. Doesn't that mean it's intended for Japanese audience? It's not meant for gaijins like us. Can't say I like grinding either but oh well, that's what I get for playing a JRPG.
kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts
[QUOTE="good_sk8er7"]JRPGS are like a thousand times more fun when its difficult. I'm usually pretty low level. I beat FFVII the first time at level 45, Sephiroth was terrible but I felt pretty good when I beat him.

I know dat feel bro :). One of the best boss fights I've ever had.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

I guess it's for a feeling of progression, instead of something like Oblivion where you can beat the game without fighting at all. I don't have a problem with grinding, and I enjoy it in most handheld RPGs.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

1) If you feel this way you should consider turning down the difficulty to easy
2) How far are you into the game? I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni as well, I reckon I'm about 50% in the story and I have yet to require any grinding. If anything, I feel that some ordinary monster encounters were harder (but shorter of course) than some of the bosses. The bosses so far haven't really been that difficult.
3) I do however think that while Ni No Kuni is a great, one of the things I do feel is very frustrating is the amount of monsters and how fast many of them chase you. Additionally, at this point I have no way to completely restore my characters health and mana except visiting the inn. This is very unfortunate considering the AI feels rather lacking and seem to waste about 70% of their mana in a single fight when you tell them to do whatever they like.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I love th graphics in the game. I love the voice acting and the storytelling. I jump ship with the painful intro and outro cutscenes for every battle.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I find that I avoids grinding as much as I can in JRPG. I get stuck in a JRPG then I just get a level or two and win the fight. They are better when you try to run them as low as you can.

wiouds

I tend to do this too. The only exception are the impossible-super-ultra-mega-overpowered-secret bosses like Trema from Final Fantasy X-2, Baal from Disgaea, or the ridiculously overpowered DLC bosses from Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2. Then I'll try to grind and aim for the level cap (or as high as I can in the case of Disgaea, I don't think I've ever maxed out to lv 9999 in that game).

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Because japanese developers have the power to boast about "hundreds of hours of play time" with a straight face.

The reality is that you could breeze through the standard JRPG in 10 hours or less if you didn't have to grind before every boss. It's the same principle of the 8-16 bit era, when you had 20 minutes-long games that were made insanely hard to create the illusion of playing a longer game.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds

Because japanese developers have the power to boast about "hundreds of hours of play time" with a straight face.

The reality is that you could breeze through the standard JRPG in 10 hours or less if you didn't have to grind before every boss. It's the same principle of the 8-16 bit era, when you had 20 minutes-long games that were made insanely hard to create the illusion of playing a longer game.

Black_Knight_00

I rarely grind and it still take 40+ hours to beat a JRPG.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

wiouds

Grinding is not just intentionally stopping in place X and keep killing enemies for XP: many games normally force grinding on you through random battles. You're grinding all the time in JRPGs.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Black_Knight_00

Grinding is not just intentionally stopping in place X and keep killing enemies for XP: many games normally force grinding on you through random battles. You're grinding all the time in JRPGs.

You do that while moving through a dungeon in a WRPG.

isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

Grinding can really suck in some games.  Others I find it enjoyable and don't mind it at all.  

I hate the games that have incredibly high encounter rates, you grind until the appropriate level and then you need to reach your destination.  But you need to fight another 30 battles along the way.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

wiouds

And your point is?
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Grinding is not just intentionally stopping in place X and keep killing enemies for XP: many games normally force grinding on you through random battles. You're grinding all the time in JRPGs.Black_Knight_00

And your point is?

By what you call grinding then WRPG have just as much. Then by your logic WRPG also trying to make them appear longer.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

wiouds

And your point is?

By what you call grinding then WRPG have just as much. Then by your logic WRPG also trying to make them appear longer.

Of course: combat is part of the game's lenghth, I thought we were discussing when the game shoves it down your throat via random battles and impossible bosses.

By the way: in several WRPGs you can bypass combat entirely: Skyrim for instance allows you to sneak through all the dungeons in the game never killing a single thing.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] And your point is?Black_Knight_00

Of course: combat is part of the game's lenght, I thought we were discussing when the game shoves it down your throat via random battles and impossible bosses. By the way: in several WRPGs you can bypass combat entirely: Skyrim for instance allows you to sneak through all the dungeons in the game never killing a single thing.

I tried sneaking through dungeons in Skyrim and got caught everytime. You are still force to take actions even if it to fight or run.

I do not call that grinding. Grinding is smoethign you choose to do that is not apart of the main quest. Grinding is when you are going a place to level up your character or gathering something. It is like going through Skyrim in your picaxe of soul stealing to gather of souls for enchanting or runing around Risen 2 just to get stronger.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulekani

wiouds

And your point is?

Look, grinding isn't even the real issue, its the purpose it serves that I find annoying, its used to improve your characters stats, it also allows the play to tinker with the way the game is balanced, boss is too hard ? Go back grind alil and try again, now its too easy. If the game had great gameplay and controls then please let me grind, I'l do it just for fun, no need to reward or rank me or level me up, but RPG's ?. . . . . . . Theres no fun during each encounter, only afterwards does it one feel like it was fun which I'm sure is just due to the Xp boost.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Black_Knight_00

I tried sneaking through dungeons in Skyrim and got caught everytime. You are still force to take actions even if it to fight or run.

I do not call that grinding. Grinding is smoethign you choose to do that is not apart of the main quest. Grinding is when you are going a place to level up your character or gathering something. It is like going through Skyrim in your picaxe of soul stealing to gather of souls for enchanting or runing around Risen 2 just to get stronger.wiouds
Sneaking in Skyrim is hard at the beginning, but the more you do it the easier it gets. Find trainers and increase your ninja skills and you're all set. Also, train in illusion and archery enough you'll be able to turn invisible and one shot everybody in the game including bosses, for the ultimate assassin combo.

That requires grinding by the way, but it's the kind of grinding you can do while normally playing the game (again: like random battles while moving from A to B in a linear JRPG: still a grind, but somewhat tolerable), as opposed to the "brick wall" effect you get in games like FFXIII and Lost Odyssey, just to name a couple, an impossible boss fight when the game basically tells you "sorry buddy, can't go through here yet, time to go back and run in circles for 5 hours in order to meet the level requirement"

That's awful game design and it's got to go.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]I tried sneaking through dungeons in Skyrim and got caught everytime. You are still force to take actions even if it to fight or run.

I do not call that grinding. Grinding is smoethign you choose to do that is not apart of the main quest. Grinding is when you are going a place to level up your character or gathering something. It is like going through Skyrim in your picaxe of soul stealing to gather of souls for enchanting or runing around Risen 2 just to get stronger.Black_Knight_00

Sneaking in Skyrim is hard at the beginning, but the more you do it the easier it gets. Find trainers and increase your ninja skills and you're all set. Also, train in illusion and archery enough you'll be able to turn invisible and one shot everybody in the game including bosses, for the ultimate assassin combo.

That requires grinding by the way, but it's the kind of grinding you can do while normally playing the game (again: like random battles while moving from A to B in a linear JRPG: still a grind, but somewhat tolerable), as opposed to the "brick wall" effect you get in games like FFXIII and Lost Odyssey, just to name a couple, an impossible boss fight when the game basically tells you "sorry buddy, can't go through here yet, time to go back and run in circles for 5 hours in order to meet the level requirement"

5 hours of grinding? What is wrong with you that you need that much time? I don't grind that much in JRPG but in a WRPG 5 hours is little grinding for me.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="wiouds"]I tried sneaking through dungeons in Skyrim and got caught everytime. You are still force to take actions even if it to fight or run.

I do not call that grinding. Grinding is smoethign you choose to do that is not apart of the main quest. Grinding is when you are going a place to level up your character or gathering something. It is like going through Skyrim in your picaxe of soul stealing to gather of souls for enchanting or runing around Risen 2 just to get stronger.wiouds

5 hours of grinding? What is wrong with you that you need that much time? I don't grind that much in JRPG but in a WRPG 5 hours is little grinding for me.

Grasping at straws
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

JRPGs get a bad rap for the grinding requirement. I have really only played a few where grinding is absolutely necessary, including the Dragon Quest games. I've never had to grind too much to beat an RPG.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00
I've never had to grind too much to beat an RPG.turtlethetaffer
"Too much" is a very relative concept.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiouds

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]I've never had to grind too much to beat an RPG.Black_Knight_00

Now that is grasping at straws.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]I've never had to grind too much to beat an RPG.wiouds

Now that is grasping at straws.

Don't be petty
iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts

wiouds

I thought grinding means stopping at X point because you have low skills/level/something that blocks you. When you're going through a dungeon you're advancing toward something and not stuck leveling yourself so you can get past that something. That's quite different.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Grinding is not just intentionally stopping in place X and keep killing enemies for XP: many games normally force grinding on you through random battles. You're grinding all the time in JRPGs.iDefinition

I thought grinding means stopping at X point because you have low skills/level/something that blocks you. When you're going through a dungeon you're advancing toward something and not stuck leveling yourself so you can get past that something. That's quite different.

Depends on the game. Some JRPGs have random battles literally every 10 seconds
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Yangire

[QUOTE="iDefinition"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

Black_Knight_00

In the grand majority of those games you can run away too.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="iDefinition"] I thought grinding means stopping at X point because you have low skills/level/something that blocks you. When you're going through a dungeon you're advancing toward something and not stuck leveling yourself so you can get past that something. That's quite different.Yangire

In the grand majority of those games you can run away too.

Do so and reach the boss underleveled, setting youself up for a grind session. It's an endless loop. Oh sure, there are hardcore JRPG players who can beat anything with a level 1 unarmed character, but that's not the case for most of us.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

RPGs, back in the day anyway, required a lot of grinding. Anyone remember The 7th Saga on Super Nintendo? Some of the enemies were impossible to beat until you stood outside of town and grinded for hours and hours on end until you got to the appropriate level!

The last game I remember grinding for awhile on was Dragon Quest VIII, on Playstation 2. You had to grind for a bit before getting to that point of where you were strong enough to take on and eventually defeat the bosses.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiouds

RPGs, back in the day anyway, required a lot of grinding. Anyone remember The 7th Saga on Super Nintendo? Some of the enemies were impossible to beat until you stood outside of town and grinded for hours and hours on end until you got to the appropriate level!

The last game I remember grinding for awhile on was Dragon Quest VIII, on Playstation 2. You had to grind for a bit before getting to that point of where you were strong enough to take on and eventually defeat the bosses.

Metamania

I grinded in Skyrim and Risen 2.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

wiouds

Good for you.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#35 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

If a game is really addictive then I don't mind grinding, but if you just want to hit a certain level in can be a pain.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

wiouds

We all did. That doesn't change the fact that JRPGs are capital offenders under this point of view.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Black_Knight_00

We all did. That doesn't change the fact that JRPGs are capital offenders under this point of view.

I grind a lot more in WRPG.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Black_Knight_00

wiouds

That is your problem
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
It doesn't bother me so much......
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

It doesn't bother me so much......LJS9502_basic
same for me. Though I do farm if the game allows it(killing metal slimes in DQ9 for example)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] We all did. That doesn't change the fact that JRPGs are capital offenders under this point of view.Black_Knight_00

That is your problem

You are overgeneralizing.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]I've never had to grind too much to beat an RPG.Black_Knight_00

Good for it. To me, I;ve never been asked in a game to grind to what seems to me to be excessive.  Just a few levels or so.  If you feel differently then that's your issue.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulekani
I'm usualy good at spotting grinding situations but 2 games managed to get passed my Grind Radar. Mass Effect 1&2.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]I've never had to grind too much to beat an RPG.turtlethetaffer

Good for it. To me, I;ve never been asked in a game to grind to what seems to me to be excessive.  Just a few levels or so.  If you feel differently then that's your issue.

Yup, that's what "relative" means, no?
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Yangire

Oh sure, there are hardcore JRPG players who can beat anything with a level 1 unarmed character, but that's not the case for most of us.Black_Knight_00

Doing challenges like that is great for multiple playthroughs, it's another reason why I like leveling systems.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] "Too much" is a very relative concept.Black_Knight_00

so what was the point of you saying that?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

I think it's pretty plain: if you say that something has "too much" or "too little" of something you are most likely speaking in relative, personal terms. To you grinding 5 hours total may be acceptable, for someone else may be an eternity.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wiouds

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Yup, that's what "relative" means, no?Black_Knight_00

I think it's pretty plain: if you say that something has "too much" or "too little" of something you are most likely speaking in relative, personal terms. To you grinding 5 hours total may be acceptable, for someone else may be an eternity.

Where are you getting this 5 hours from as other been saying they do not do it for nearly that long.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

wiouds

Where are you getting this 5 hours from as other been saying they do not do it for nearly that long.

5 hours total as in the whole game. Not the same 5 hours I mentioned before