Greatest Games To Never Sell

This topic is locked from further discussion.

selftaughtman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 selftaughtman
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

My no. 1 pic is Netstorm, which I still play www.netstormhq.com

Reason being it is still totally different from any real time strategy games in that offensive units are static and are built of a complex series of bridges. Sure it has a difficult learning curve, noobs get owned hard and the graphics are **** but after a few games it's actually quite fun. Not to mention the games are quite fast and you don't have to spend hour upon hour playing the game.

mherr170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mherr170

Netstorm is easily one of the best online gaming experiences I have ever had. Playing off and on for 8 years, the people and games you will have are unforgettable. One of the best online communities offered for free.

-Patriarch

Avatar image for depresedmichfan
depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 depresedmichfan
Member since 2005 • 1109 Posts

Some irony: people are talking about how they've been playing the game for the last decade, here's a quote from gamespot's revies:

Despite its numerous strengths, the game just doesn't have much longevity.

I would look into getting it, but I don't have the time to get into something like that.

1-800-COLLECT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 1-800-COLLECT
We have people here in the game that are willing to teach and train noobs. We even have a Guild just to train newbs to make them better.
XandreiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XandreiX
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

The game is one of the best RTS ever created:

1) After you get your hand on the game you ask yourself how can such an old game have such nice graphics. It's not about shaders or 3D action. It's about art.

2) Then you start exploring the game. There are many fun things about it. The story, the campaign, the units, the zones and one of the best part, bridging.

3) After you get used to the game, you start seeing the empty side of the glass. Some units are buggy, but this things are getting fixed every patch. The netcode isn't exceptional also (you'll here the "cuts!" expression many times :) ).

4) The first moment you step in the zones you'll feel the competition. Most of the time it's silent, but all the players want to be the best of the best (18c we came for ur head!! ;) ).

I won't give any more details, because it's nicer to discover this things by yourself. You can take this as an advertising post, but it is done for a great game with s**t marketing. Just think about all the expensive games with budgets that have nothing but graphics. This one has soul.

www.netstormhq.com

locta

ghetto_teg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ghetto_teg

hehe...this game has given me many memories...i have been on this game for 2yrs...i was on it b4 but i lost the cd...now its better in my opinion...small comminuity like my fellow ns players say....but dats cuz of the s#@ advertisment....its takes a while to learn but its fun and great...meet new ppl and watnot...and like 18c said...just because you get owned in the first 5-6 games or more you play dont quit...it takes time to play and you wont get it dat quick unless your just a natural...i love this game and i will continue to play this game...so till then i hope you guyz read this and check us out in the skies...btw heres teh link http://www.netstormhq.com/news.php.....

end

sithorder guild of netstorm

GiygasFanima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 GiygasFanima
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts
Wait...what's this thread about? Netstorm?
mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts

1)GTA: 3, Vice City, Sanandreas

2)Halo, Halo 2

3)Half life, Half life 2

4)Mario party 64

5)Tony hawk for the N64

Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts
ICO. One of the most beautiful games ever, and cruelly did not sell...
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts
You made five accounts just to advertise a decade-old game?
sudden_death_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sudden_death_
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Considerng I know most of those people from the game, they are all different people I assure you :p

Think of it this way. If people who do play the game go out of thier way to advertise it and get more people to come and play it, it shows a dedication and love for a game that is rarely seen. I myself have been playing it for a number of years, nigh on 9, and a couple of times i've stopped playing it for a gap of 2 years or so but do awlays come back. The main attractiveness of this game, is the samll community. You go into the main gaming area and you know most of the people there. You awlays play among friends and if you're new, plenty of people go out of thier way to help you. Sure you get the occasional idiot, but overall, people do help you train.

Most of the players of the game, love it and a few are spending thier own money to ensure the game stays up and continues to propser long after Activision abandoned it. Thers no harm for people to give it a try, especailyl considering the fact that it's completely free.

Oh and someone else mentioned halo, half life, gta etc. fairly srue those games did sell fairly well ;)

AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts

The best example I could think of is Tales of the Abyss

The game is the best damn tales game and easily one of the best games to come out in a long time, and it sold a paltry 28,000 on it's first month???

:(

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

Most recently, Psychonauts.

Tim Schafer is rarely rewarded for this genius. :(

Avatar image for Rafaellllllllll
Rafaellllllllll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rafaellllllllll
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Netstorm FTW!! ... u dont have nothing to do!??? go to the zones!! u wanna laugh a lot!??? go to teh zones!!! u wanna play a hard game that ur skills r based on ur determination in aquiring them??? go to the zones!!??? meh... this game have more than 10 years and still pwnssssss!! ... great community, gameplay, well... if u dont play .. u dont know what u r losing .. ;) well .. i am off to the zones ... meet yah peops there!! NM´s out!! =D
MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

1)GTA: 3, Vice City, Sanandreas

2)Halo, Halo 2

3)Half life, Half life 2

4)Mario party 64

5)Tony hawk for the N64

mosa922
What are you talking about? Those games sold millions.
BEANZ05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BEANZ05
Member since 2005 • 131 Posts

SHENMUE

xmeoho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xmeoho
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

This thread has become a poorly veiled plug for Netstorm, so here's my shpiel=P.

By todays standards graphics are dated. BUT:

Its free to play. (www.netstormhq.com)

Nuanced balance of managing economy/being aggressive/reacting to enemy, very deep gameplay.

Bridging will remind you of tetris (will also give you similar freaky dreams), feels really good when you get decent at it (can't explain it).

For newbies leveling up is pretty fun, you get more technology for sacrificing enemy priests, admittedly the learning curve can be pretty steep.

Competitive atmosphere for multiplayer, run by a dedicated bunch of people.

Basically the depth of gameplay and competitive atmosphere (and of course the people running the server) have kept this game alive for so long. We're always looking for new players.

A tip to newbies, let people know that you're a newbie, most vets wouldn't find it fun to play a newbie in a serious game and you would most definitely not find it fun(and hence might get turned off). Most vets are also pretty responsive if you ask for training as well.

cgm

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

You made five accounts just to advertise a decade-old game?Planeforger

It sure looks like it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
Besides the obvious choice (Shenmue and Shenmue II), i'd definitely say Killer7, although I really can see why it wasn't picked up. It was definitely an aquired taste.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts
I also think the Phoenix Wright franchise is one that should sell much much more than it did.

One of the best DS exclusives and no one is buying it

Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#22 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts

Shouldn't the title be re-named to Netstorm by now? ...

As for my pick, The Ship, no contest. Innovative yet familiar, brilliant!

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]You made five accounts just to advertise a decade-old game?rragnaar

It sure looks like it.

this is exactly whats going on, this should be locked.