Great games you didn’t realise were a thing til well after release?

#1 Edited by MisterVulpes (656 posts) -

So I recently bought Monster Hunter World on sale and I’m having such a blast. I’m only HR 9 and I’m really taking my time before each story mission. Never played a MH game before.

I’d read positive coverage but it took me a long time to get round to it and I’m so glad I did.

Curious to know what games you took a while to get round to and then were pleasantly surprised how good they were?

A similar thing happened to me with AC Origins. Bought a cheap edition with all DLC a few months after it was all wrapped up design wise. Was very pleased with how much they’d reworked the series.

#2 Posted by Speeny (593 posts) -

I’d say I enjoyed playing Hearthstone. (Even though I’m not that great at it.) It’s not a game I’d put hours into though.

#3 Posted by robert_sparkes (1739 posts) -

Halo 5 heard a lot of bad things about the campaign and ended up enjoying it after holding off for a price drop.

#4 Edited by Umomspaget (1 posts) -

Prey(2006), I always loved Sci-Fi FPS games, yet somehow I missed this gem. It was't until I played the 2017 reboot that I managed to discover it. Amazing game. It had portals before portal itself was a thing.

#5 Edited by RSM-HQ (7468 posts) -

@mistervulpes: Does D00M (original) count- a game released well over a decade before my birth(^v^)

Joke aside glad more people are enjoying Monster Hunter as 2018 goes on with the new game. Still not my favorite in the franchise, yet pretty excited for the Winter Event in World_

On subject because I could chat about MH forever. Never really had this thread issue, some games I cannot play at launch because non of us can play every desired game ever made. Or they're very retro and I need to discover them.

Rarely negatively dismiss games I would actually enjoy. As tend to be very aware what I like from a game. Heavily value deep mechanics, well crafted level design, and double downing on being a fun experience. The games I haven't played but hit these notes either I'm not aware of or are on a maybe list of sorts if I have the time_

When a game is reviewed, revealed, or Forum'd 100% about how "cutting edge" the visuals are, realism QTEs/ simulator padding, or a games story. . . that's not very appealing to me in the slightest; as well aware I would suffer through the experience.

#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42332 posts) -

Probably the Elder Scrolls series. My first TES game was TES IV: Oblivion, so I had missed the entire series prior to that. For whatever reason I was so into Oblivion that I just didn't bother to look up the previous games; turns out they are arguably a lot more immersive and better than Oblivion haha. Anyway, I missed the boat on that one; I can play old games if I played them at release, but for the most part I just can't get past dated visuals hashtagnotagraphicswhore

@umomspaget said:

Prey(2006), I always loved Sci-Fi FPS games, yet somehow I missed this gem. It was't until I played the 2017 reboot that I managed to discover it. Amazing game. It had portals before portal itself was a thing.

Great game. As you said, the portals were great. Had a neat death mechanic, too, and the "spirit walking" thing added some fun times to it as well.

Did you ever see the alpha/conceptual footage of what the reboot was supposed to be? I love the 2017 PREY game, don't get me wrong, but I wish they made this game too :D It's basically Cyberpunk 2077 but in space and with aliens...before Cyberpunk 2077 was a video game.

Anyway I don't think it got too far off the ground before getting scrapped.

Loading Video...

#7 Posted by heljar75 (75 posts) -

GTA-series. I heard about the first games and the controversies. But I never really got curious and bothered getting them. It didn't really sound like my type of game. When I got PS2 and found GTA3 in a bargain bin I decided to give it a shot. Didn't regret it. A great series that has stayed with me ever since.

#8 Posted by MisterVulpes (656 posts) -

@RSM-HQ:

Does the handler ever stop being an annoying piece of sh*t?

“OH HEY PARD!”

#9 Posted by RSM-HQ (7468 posts) -

@mistervulpes: Handler isn't the most interesting character is she? They really missed the mark with some of the NPCs in MH:W which is a shame. I didn't mind her role for a Special Event (I won't spoil) you'll know when it happens.

The Handler in World is intended to be a more Western accepting character from previous MH games Guild Receptionists. Sophia from 4 is clearly a better character in my view

#10 Posted by sakaiXx (4176 posts) -

Final Fantasy XV. Its actually a pretty good game. Really bad at story department but everything else is pretty amazing. Enjoyed my time.

#11 Posted by SoNin360 (6936 posts) -

I'm usually late to the party with most games. But great games I didn't know of until shortly before I decided to play them would include: Danganronpa, Rime, Steins;Gate, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Deadly Premonition (more bizarrely interesting than great), Broken Age, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Lone Survivor, Remember Me, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Blur

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#12 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (976 posts) -

I'd say Final Fantasy 15.

#13 Edited by pitty8982 (1042 posts) -

Dishonored. I wasn't expecting much when I played it, but it turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played.

#14 Posted by burrowslincoln (3 posts) -

@speeny : good

#15 Posted by judaspete (2629 posts) -

I didn't know anything about SNK beyond Samurai Shodown until I played Capcom vs. SNK on the Dreamcast. Slowly got into their franchises through collections released and then download services over the next few years. The Last Blade is to this day my favorite 2D fighting game.

Avatar image for patriotplayer90
#16 Posted by patriotplayer90 (557 posts) -

The original Infamous. Demo seemed okay, story seemed run of the mill. But I found a good deal on it, and couldn't stop playing once I had started.

#17 Posted by Johndmgs (312 posts) -

The original Doom. I had always heard good things about the game but never got around to playing it. Being a big shooter fan and seeing all the hype around the 2016 reboot, I went back and gave it a go. For a game released in 1993 it holds up really well.

#18 Edited by xantufrog (10040 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: FWIW. Some pretty light mods update Morrowind pretty nicely. The only thing I've found doesnt improve well is the avatars - you basically have 3 options: vanilla, awkwardly "realistic" textures on still low poly models, or creepy nudes.

But the world and some of the more dated mechanics upgrade nicely while preserving the feel and the things that make it better than Oblivion+

#19 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (4697 posts) -

@mistervulpes:

Spyro Reignited. I never realized how good the games were until I bought the remastered version.

#20 Posted by ChristianSino (24 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

I'm usually late to the party with most games. But great games I didn't know of until shortly before I decided to play them would include: Danganronpa, Rime, Steins;Gate, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Deadly Premonition (more bizarrely interesting than great), Broken Age, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Lone Survivor, Remember Me, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Blur

Broken Age was awesome but because it was backed through crowdfunding and had Tim Schafer (of Monkey Island) I instantly realized how good it was!

For me it was Monument Valley though I knew the hype I didn't realized how really good it was until I played it!

#21 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1961 posts) -

- Monster Hunter World: I will probably be playing this game for years. Never played a MH game before but this certainly did not disappoint. Still haven't gotten around to completing the main story yet.

- Hue: Great little indie game with some interesting puzzles and great use of colors as a gameplay element

- Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch: Picked it up soon after playing it's sequel and it's pretty much better than it in every way. In terms of story, characters, depth within the combat system, and general direction it runs circles around Ni No Kuni: The Revenant Kingdom imo