Grand Theft Auto 5

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b73c3015245
deactivated-64b73c3015245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-64b73c3015245
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

My 15 year old son wants to buy GTA V. I obviously said no, but now that I'm doing research, I may change my mind. As said, he's 15 and has A's and B's and is well-natured and definitely knows right from wrong. He plays games like Call of Duty and Fallout but I think Grand Theft Auto may be too much in terms of sexual content and violence.

This being said he promises only to play GTA online, but for all I know that may be worse than the actual game!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The torture mission in GTA V is pretty vile and intense, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-64b73c3015245

@GreySeal9: He promised to only play online, not the story mode...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

The torture mission in GTA V is pretty vile and intense, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Yeah definitely... that mission was a step too far for me, and I'm an adult.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

How about Watch Dogs instead ?

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@jpruzi: We all want our kids to be happy, but don't do it. This game is not one to compromise with. Also, my nephew said the same thing about the online only. I think you can guess the rest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-64b73c3015245

@mgools: I have to be frank, I don't know what happens next... How old is your nephew? My son is 15(as said) Also, can anyone specifically mention what makes this game inappropriate for my son?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@jpruzi said:

@mgools: I have to be frank, I don't know what happens next... How old is your nephew? My son is 15(as said) Also, can anyone specifically mention what makes this game inappropriate for my son?

Tortue mission is brutal, even for mature adults. You don't want your kid seeing that at all.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

Yes there are violent scenes but I mean for a 15 year old, and I don't claim to know your son at all, I really don't think it's anything that will scar him for life or anything of that nature. Yes, parts in story mode are a little disturbing but that's human nature to react to certain violence in that way (heck, I did and I'm out of college). I don't think that has to do with being 15 vs 18. Now if your son was 7, I think it would impact him differently but honestly high school is old enough in my opinion to play the game. Now for the "sexual" aspect. I'm going to be honest and say NOTHING in this game will be anything your son hasn't seen or heard before. I'm not saying in person but come on. He's a high school boy. He knows what sexual language is and if he's not playing story mode the only way he's going to hear that is from other players over the mic and if he's played CoD he's already heard it all before.

And if, like you said, he isn't even interested in playing story mode, it's just like any other game online in terms of violence and language. I'm 22 and have been playing GTA games since middle school. I can tell you that for a 15 year old it's not exactly a "shining example of behavior" but the games are satire anyway (not that he will necessarily get that at his age) but I sincerely don't think it's the end of the world for him to have this game. I'm not a parent, so I can't make the decision for you, but if he keeps his grades up and doesn't start talking foul or acting like a jerk, just let him play the game. You can pull the plug at any time if he breaks his word and plays story mode or it seems to be impacting him negatively.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@jpruzi: Sex, dugs, prostitution, violence, extreme profanity, theft. This is not a shining example of a game when it comes to teaching our kids moral values, but that is a choice for the parent. I know my children will not play this game until they are out of the house, and one is about the age of your son. I am an older gamer, so am fortunate to be able to try many of the game before letting my child play. Even I no longer play this game for two reasons....to be an example to my kids and because it even makes me, as an adult, very uncomfortable.

Good luck in your decision.

Forgot to mention that for my nephew it was GTA IV, and he was the same age as your son.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

How about Watch Dogs instead ?

Nice suggestion.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@jpruzi: As a parent I especially avoid letting my kid play anything online. As a gamer, I know that the way people online behave is horrendous and a worse influence on children then anything they will see in a video game. If your kid is already playing COD online then he has probably seen the worst of it already.

With GTA games I would worry about younger audiences simply because they may not realize that it's mostly satirical and kids tend to emulate behaviors from things/people they like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-64b73c3015245

Thank you everyone for your opinions and feedback

Avatar image for Captain_Swosh69
Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Captain_Swosh69
Member since 2005 • 1012 Posts

the torture scene is fine. im apathetic to it. it just a game. nobody's gonna turn into a torturer. there's hookers and strip clubs tho. 15 yrs old is old enough. maybe 16, watever. buy him bloodborne, its good.

@MuD3 said:

@jpruzi: As a parent I especially avoid letting my kid play anything online. As a gamer, I know that the way people online behave is horrendous and a worse influence on children then anything they will see in a video game. If your kid is already playing COD online then he has probably seen the worst of it already.

With GTA games I would worry about younger audiences simply because they may not realize that it's mostly satirical and kids tend to emulate behaviors from things/people they like.

i dont emulate shit. if ur worrying ur kid might carjack u one day lol, thats stupid. anybody that emulate shit they see on tv r idiots. fun to play pretend wwe with your friends tho, when i was a kid. then again, im not that crazy to jumped off from the roof like some stupid kids. as long as your kid is level headed, and mature enough, he can play anything.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Watch Dogs has some serious nudity and prostitution

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@BboyStatix:

I didn't know that.........

Well atleast its not cheesy about it like GTA right ?

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: In that case yeah, but a nipple is a nipple...right? xD

On topic, I would say GTA Online is quite alright, but at the same time there's the strip club... so um yeah hope he doesn't do that stuff

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@BboyStatix:

Pretty much...... young minds don't really care about context..... a boob is a boob.....

So how about.... uhm.......... Lego City Undercover ?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

The single player is boring anyway.

If you don't mind him hearing all the "niggas," "fucks," and "cocksuckers" and so on that are built into the game's dialogue already, then sure, let him at it. But keep this in mind: if you buy it for him, it's pointless to demarcate any boundary between the single player and GTA Online. The filthy language he would encounter in the game's dialogue would pale in comparison to the cesspit of vulgarity and racism that is the GTA Online community.

The torture mission could be worrisome, but to be completely honest, would torturing a guy with pliers and electricity really be so much worse than lobbing a Molotov cocktail at a group of ladies outside a cafe? Or murdering random passersby with a hatchet in first person view?

If you look at it that way, the only real difference between GTA 5 and GTA Online is that in single player the girls at the titty bar are topless.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@Captain_Swosh69 said:

the torture scene is fine. im apathetic to it. it just a game. nobody's gonna turn into a torturer. there's hookers and strip clubs tho. 15 yrs old is old enough. maybe 16, watever. buy him bloodborne, its good.

@MuD3 said:

i dont emulate shit. if ur worrying ur kid might carjack u one day lol, thats stupid. anybody that emulate shit they see on tv r idiots. fun to play pretend wwe with your friends tho, when i was a kid. then again, im not that crazy to jumped off from the roof like some stupid kids. as long as your kid is level headed, and mature enough, he can play anything.

I said behavior, not actions. I don't think anyone is going to turn violent or anything because of games. It's the way they talk to and treat others that's the problem which is why online is the worst thing because actual people are typically far worse than anything in a game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

The game also features interactive strippers, which some parents might be hesitant about.

The actual gameplay stuff is generally fine. It's antisocial, sure, but it's not excessively gory and the crazy driving is relatively harmless.

The problem areas are mainly the dialogue (lots of swearing) and some story events (torture, etc.). I wouldn't trust the online features to be any more wholesome, either.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Captain_Swosh69 said:

@MuD3 said:

Judging from your response i think it pretty much proves what MuD3 said is worrying as a parent.

But you are correct tho in that games are no worse than anything else, and GTA V is no worse than most other games kids can play.

And 15 is old enough to be playing the game if they have good parents who keep an eye on them.