Bumblebee1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 3

Edited By Bumblebee1138
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts

Since 2008 for nearly 8 years I have been a Hardcore Gamer. OK that may not sound like an accomplishment for those who have been gaming since they were little kids but I can definitely say over that short time period I played and done everything a gamer would do. From AAA action games to small time licensed games, I have played em all. And I haven't just players games but done other gamer related activities as well. Made game reviews, blogs, participated in competitions (and won), was part of some awesome game unions here in Gamespot (before they were all shut down), and of cause argue about gaming stuff and insult others' intelligence over the internet. lol Hell I even got banned from this website! :D (But that's a story for another time) I even had plans to open up a new dedicated Youtube channel to upload gameplay videos, walkthroughs and video reviews. In short, in this 8 years I've made my own "gaming career". I played a lot of awesome (and not so awesome games), had a great time doing all this and have very fond memories of them.

But as everything, all good things have to come to an end at some point. And I have decided to put an ellipsis to my gaming career. Why? I have my reasons.

One is that, well I'm actually losing interest in new games. Most games I see these days seems to have developed with no passion nor innovation. It always looks like something that has already been done or straight out cheap knockoff. Now I'm not speaking out for all games. There are some impressive upcoming titles. But most of them are not my type, and fails to catch my interest and thus there are only handful of games I'm anticipating.

In a way it's kinda sad how I once though gaming would be a part of my life forever but turns out to be just another hobby that comes with time and fades along with it.

But more than that I need a change of course in my life. Since the beginning I feel like I had a very simple and linear life style with so little actual achievements. Now that I turned 19, I realize I have to do much MUCH MORE than this. Start from the ground zero and work all the way up. I have so much plans to improve myself in many ways but I can't do them if half of my attention goes to staying in internet, watching movies and playing video games.

Of cause this doesn’t mean I COMPLETELY going to stop playing. There are a handful of awesome upcoming games that I just GOTTA get my hands on. (In a managed time schedule of course) There's also a few games that I have my eyes that I may or may not buy. And hey, usually most of my blogs have at least one game list; why change the habit now eh? ;)

MUST BUY GAMES

Batman: Arkham Knight

I would like to take this space to appreciate these awesome developers. Not for just creating THE best superhero game series of all time, but also being a true inspiration to other game companies out there. Just by the 2 games they released and the one on the way they have shown a great deal of passion to their work that I haven't seen in other developers for a long time. While others create mediocre excuses and unmemorable licensed games that relies on making a quick cash grab by selling the name itself rather than putting much effort to craft quality, or sequels that also try to cover behind the fame of its predecessors with a few features or plain reskins, Rocksteady takes a superior path. They take the already successful license that is Batman and put all their effort to create the BEST game they can build not just to make money, but to compete and put itself among other high quality and infamous games as well. (Which is something they were very successful of doing so by the looks of the wide critical acclamations by everyone and dozens of awards they achieved) After that, they continue to impress by making bigger and better sequels that surpasses its predecessor while also branching out in storyline. So much success and yet they limit their most prized game series in to a trilogy to preserve its quality and to create a memorable and great story with a beginning, middle and an end. These are traits I don't see in many companies these days and which is exactly what make Rocksteady awesome.

So in short why I'm so hyped up about in this? It's a goddamn Batman game! It's the grand finale of an amazing and long remembered trilogy. And in the end, it an piece of art by a group of dedicated people.

Star Wars: Battlefront

(And any other major Star Wars game)

This is a glorious year for hardcore Star Wars fans. In one hand after 10 years we have a brand new sequel movie coming up (which is by the way going to be the first Star Wars movie I'm going to watch in a theatre :D ) and on the other hand one of the best Star Wars games of history finally returns after SO much pleas and petitions. And by what's look of it both of these seems absolutely fantastic and well crafted. As a matter of fact I don't believe I been THIS excited about a video game for a very long time now. I may be in tight schedule but like hell I would let that get between me and my most favorite franchise since childhood. :D

New Mass Effect

(And its sequels)

As a big Sci-Fi fan I must say in my opinion Mass Effect Trilogy is the best original Sci-Fi game series ever. It has a great story, interesting characters, and almost everything else I want from an awesome Sci-Fi RPG Game series. (Including but not limited to, exploring new planets, customizing awesome armours and pushing people out of buildings when I feel like it.) I admit that I was disappointed with how they handled the ending(s) of the last game but that didn't shake the affection I've to this series. And thus I'm more than excited to know more about this new game and finally return to this astonishing universe.

GAMES I’M KEEPING MY EYE ON

Grand Theft Auto V

Basically this is the open world game fans' (life my self's) wet dream. It is a gigantic game that has EVERYTHING. I'm actually going to need another blog just to type what I love about this game. And that's just the standard version. The PC Version also comes with gorgeous graphics, The Rockstar Editor that lets player create actual movies out of gameplay vids and of course ridiculous mods. So in short this is a game that I would spend hundreds of hours in without any regrets... which is exactly why I skeptical of buying it.

Mortal Kombat X

Fatality! Well other than it's good looking story, new characters, brutal kombat, stunning graphics, the best reason I may buy this is that my friends are done competing in Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice: Gods Among Us over and over and are moving on to this game. So I should probably too. ;)

Assassin’s Creed: Rogue

(And sequels of the franchise)

Remember I said how some developers rely on the fame of successful predecessors to make more games? Well this series is walking on a tightrope at this point. Each of their games gives out something that makes it better/unique from the rest of the series but at the same time it falls on short on other points reminding us that this series came way too far. AC4: Black Flag was pretty awesome (it even won my Game of the Year 2013) but the last game AC: Unity was a complete disappointment mostly because of how of the technical issues if suffers with making it unbearable to play. AC: Rogue here seems to be a Black Flag 1.5. But yet it has a story that looks at the series in a whole new perceptive which makes it a lot more interesting that it's overhyped counterpart. Is that a good reason to buy this game? Perhaps. All I know for sure is that even though I'm a huge fan of this series for what it was, I'm going to think more than thrice before buying any of their future releases. (Which seems to have no end.)

LEGO Avengers 2 & LEGO Jurassic Park

What can I say they are the LEGO Versions of my favourite movies. :D If there are enough new content in these games (instead of same 'ol levels and puzzles) I'm definitely going to buy them. So we'll see.

So this seems to be it. I would probably blog once in a while about stuff and about game I bought, but then again who gives a crap right? It's not like anyone in this site read others' blogs any more. As a matter of fact I didn't type this for other people but as a memento for myself. To remind myself of this decision I made and why I did it. A written promise if you will. So finally I would like to end this blog with statistics that sums up the hobby that was once part of my life.

Statistics

Bought Games: 93

Completed Games: 84

Incomplete Games: 9

Most anticipated Games: 3

Thank you and farewell to whoever reading this. May the force be with you.

Bee Out.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

While I'll never stop gaming I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with what's in the pipe. I have a few that I'm looking forward too but aside from the next Uncharted, there is nothing on the horizon that I'm chomping at the bit for. Tomb Raider isn't on Playstation anymore. Delays of games are common place these days. Game developers aren't consumer friendly anymore (I realize it's a buisness). Great classic franchises remain dormant for years if not well over a decade. Gaming just isn't what it used to be.

I took a look at the lack of games I wanted to buy for the rest of the year and decided to go retro with my Sega Game Gear. It hasn't had audio capabilities for a decade now but I found a buisness to restore it. I've been finishing up my classic collection while I wait for the current generation to release some titles that interest me. That could be till next year from the looks of things.

Maybe you should take a look at previous generations to keep you gaming.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

So...... The title says Goodbye Gaming and the content of the thread says he's just cutting down, not quitting. Why not be direct and just have the title say I'm Cutting Down on Gaming?

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

@Telekill said:

While I'll never stop gaming I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with what's in the pipe. I have a few that I'm looking forward too but aside from the next Uncharted, there is nothing on the horizon that I'm chomping at the bit for. Tomb Raider isn't on Playstation anymore. Delays of games are common place these days. Game developers aren't consumer friendly anymore (I realize it's a buisness). Great classic franchises remain dormant for years if not well over a decade. Gaming just isn't what it used to be.

I took a look at the lack of games I wanted to buy for the rest of the year and decided to go retro with my Sega Game Gear. It hasn't had audio capabilities for a decade now but I found a buisness to restore it. I've been finishing up my classic collection while I wait for the current generation to release some titles that interest me. That could be till next year from the looks of things.

Maybe you should take a look at previous generations to keep you gaming.

This, so many great classic CRPGs on GOG.com

With classic gaming usually anything Nintendo (first party) or RPGs tend to be expensive.

FPS, Action, Adventure, etc. games are pretty cheap. Like you can get all of Ratchet, Jak, or Sly plus all of MGS or GTA on ps2 for the price of one new game (if gamestop didn't stop selling ps2).

Honestly Ratchet ps2 is the bees knees. (Regreted selling but the PS3 has them in HD with some glitches).

Jak 1 and 2 are dirt cheap (3 is a little more expensive but general consensus is that it is the best). Jak 2 is pretty hard compared the 1 and 3 but rewarding when you beat it because the difficulty.

Never played the Ps2 GTAs (just the psp ones and next gen) but they are supposedly filled with content as well ( San Andreas is generally considered the best).

MGS 2 and 3 are amazing on the PS2.

Shadow of the Colossus is a must have as well and the God of war games run like beasts on the PS2.

All of these games are not too expensive. I am no conessiur of the PS2 or any game system and these are just average recommendations.

Regarding RPGs (again too many good ones on the PS2 to make a list).

Psychonauts ps2 is fine but saving takes up like a whole memory card. Most people recommend the PC (GOG.com DRM free :D) or Xbox version. Both of which have superior visuals as well.

RE4 ps2 is fine as well if you can not get any other way. Many of us first got into the game that way but the GC version does have superior lighting and graphics. Gameplay is relative since they changed the game (lowered ammo count and changed gun stats) and made it harder for the PS2/Wii/etc release.

GC original version feels more arcadey with tons of ammo which is already abundant in the PS2 version. If you can get the original on GC and then probably the Wii/360/ps3 to compare.

I would not normally recommend buying the same game more than once unless it was a remake but RE4 is just that good.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Telekill said:

I took a look at the lack of games I wanted to buy for the rest of the year and decided to go retro with my Sega Game Gear. It hasn't had audio capabilities for a decade now but I found a buisness to restore it.

Check out Psychic World - it's a colorful and pretty great GG title. FYI, the sound loss is almost always due to bad capacitors - very cheap parts and easy to replace, so don't let someone overcharge you for it!

longview01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 longview01
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

You are only 19, there is no way you have played every single game worth playing in your 8 years of gaming

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

You've only skimmed the surface of gaming.

You gotta go retro and play all the master pieces.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Telekill

@xantufrog: Yep. They charged me $40 to fix both the audio and video. I'm hoping my system comes in today or Monday so I can test it out. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a shot. I was able to buy Primal Rage new in box for only $10! I was excited at that. For you younger gamers, Primal Rage is like Mortal Kombat but with Dinosaurs and giant primates.

longview01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 longview01
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

@Telekill: You managed to get your Gamegear fixed then? I saw your post on GT and asked whether it was a common problem because I had 2 like that

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ah I see what the problem is....... you haven't squeezed enough Nintendo in your gaming career........

Well.... before you you cut down try alil Super Mario 3D World.....

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

being young feels good right? You think you're on top of the world, that have the potential to achieve anything... Till the moment you start failing. At that moment you start contemplating other roads like being more complacent. What are the things I love, what are the things I want to achieve.... Do I really want to sacrifice so much for it? Most people will tell you that you should because of the capitalist way of thinking that has been ingrained into us since birth but you have to analyze if what you're doing is due to pressure from what society expects from you or if that's how you truly want to live your life. Happiness is not a "one size fits all" kind of thing.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

You aren't really saying good bye. Hell, if you're still buying games, you're not even taking a break. You're just slowing down, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Telekill

@longview01: I'm not sure how good of a job they've done. If they did a good job I will be recommending them and listing their website. I'll also be posting before and after videos on Youtube and linking them.

LostVoyager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostVoyager
Member since 2012 • 385 Posts

@longview01 said:

You are only 19, there is no way you have played every single game worth playing in your 8 years of gaming

Well agreed but how do you know he is 19?

Also I did not bring this up before but using "hardcore gamer" usually starts digital fisticuffs. I mean people like you and I are casuals to some (and rightfully so).

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

clickbait

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

"But more than that I need a change of course in my life. Since the beginning I feel like I had a very simple and linear life style with so little actual achievements. Now that I turned 19, I realize I have to do much MUCH MORE than this. Start from the ground zero and work all the way up. I have so much plans to improve myself in many ways but I can't do them if half of my attention goes to staying in internet, watching movies and playing video games."

This is a shifting of priorities in life, nothing abnormal about it. I don't quite get how you want to equate that to complete cessation (or do you, your topic and content are at contrast?). I hope for your sake you don't give up gaming and movies, as if you do you'll be missing out on a lot.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Good luck with your goals. I hope you obtain them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Has to be said. Please take no insult.

"Can I have your stuff?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Its the business's they don't want to grow the market they just wanna gouge the current users

u know when a business is like oh lets grow and get bigger and will em expand draw in new people

well these new consoles and the publisher of the games no longer care about tht

its all like making money charge as much as possible for things that people need the xbone controller STILL uses aa batteries im not even kiddin they really cheesed out on the consoles

and the devs doing season passes WITH also doing extra dlc that doesn't even come with the pass so they make the pass almost useless

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Sorry but I choked laughed when I reached "Now that I turned 19".

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#20 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Good luck mate. :)

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

I get that you feel that you should spend more time away from games. I've been there myself. And like you said, not just video games themselves, but the culture of video games. Being involved in communities online, keeping up with news, posting and watching gameplay videos, etc. But I do not think that completely retiring from playing video games is 100% necessary. I'm sure you have your personal reasons, but cutting an hour out of your day to play video games (limiting yourself) couldn't be that hard. There are still 23 other hours in a day.

Personally, I used to spend hours on this site blogging literally every other day, hanging around in unions (RIP The Batcave!), etc. But since then, I've learned to distance myself. I only dedicate about 8-9 hours a week to video games, tops (unless a new game that I'm psyched about comes out, which is happening rarely as of late). I think that's a good amount of time to spend on a hobby.

Obviously, you make your own choices in life and it's always cool to see somebody starting a new chapter in their life. But hey, if you enjoy playing video games, that's your hobby/passion. I think it's wise to find a balance between your hobbies/passions (however unsocial they may be at times) and whatever else happens in your life.

For what it's worth though, I think it's admirable of you to take initiative and change your life. It's not an easy thing to do. Whatever you decide to do in the future, best of luck! :)

Fancydancing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fancydancing
Member since 2015 • 49 Posts

you played dino crisis? No? Well then go play

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Never been a fan of the term hardcore gamer. You are a gamer or a you are person who casually or occasionally plays games. There is nothing saying you have to play so many games a year, or so many hours a week to qualify to be hard core. Unless you are being paid to do it, gaming is a hobby. If you feel like you are growing out of gaming, then take a break. Like all hobbies, sometimes they get a little stale.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

That's great you're cutting down on your gaming time. At your age all I could still think about is playing games, partying with friends, trying to get laid ect (All that good stuff teenage guys do) And I ended up with a very sever gaming addiction in my early 20's ( I didn't really break out of it until I was 25-26) I lost all my passions in life besides games (Stopped playing guitar almost to the point where I was starting to forget how to play) and I was logging in over 40 hours on Steam a week... It was really bad. So I ended up moving to Boulder CO and I was having so much fun up there that I really didn't play video games or even watch TV for over 2 years. I'm thankful for that time because I have such a greater appreciation of the world around me and actually going out and doing things. So in the end I'm doing the exact thing you're planning. Just cutting down on the time playing games. Wise choice my friend.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

So...... The title says Goodbye Gaming and the content of the thread says he's just cutting down, not quitting. Why not be direct and just have the title say I'm Cutting Down on Gaming?

Yep, after reading the first couple of paragraphs I was gonna type "so you're a poser?" but after reading the whole blog I came to the same conclusion as you.

So what's the point of all this?

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Play indie games on the PC. Lots of interesting stuff. Or I and the blind forest, cities skyline, silence of the sleep, Stanley parable, ziggurat

darthcobain17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 646

User Lists: 1

#27 darthcobain17
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

Good luck with your change of course! And remember, if you want to play some good games, look to the past. The best games were made in the 80's and 90's! So very pumped about everything Star Wars though, have watched the new movie trailer a bajillion times!! :)

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Your only 19yrs old. So you just need a break from gaming and want to do other things. But you do have to "quit" gaming forever. So go find whatever it is your want in life. Return to gaming when you just need a small break from real life. In the meantime good luck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I wish I had more time to play games. :'(. Why oh why do I have to work 54 hours a week. Stupid BD economy. :'(

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#30 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

You're still very Young and I can understand, at you age I also did take a break from video games. I may take another break as I'm not very pleased with what I see but hey this is how it is. You also only lived through the PS3 life cycle ... which is very sad for you, you didn't lived through the SNES days or the PSOne/N64

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

but those gaems are for scruuuuubbbbbbbsssss

Seriously though, I kinda feel the same when it comes to some of the more new games. It also got me to reconsider going for gaming design since I'm majoring in the arts.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm 44 and I still haven't lost interest in gaming.