Good (inidie) first person story/exploration game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tegolich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 tegolich
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I just completed The Stanley Parable, and enjoyed every minute of it. I've also really liked the recent Gone Home and Unfinished Swan. So my point is, what are some other games with the same concept, being first person and concentrating more on design, atmosphere and story, than the actual gameplay? Also looking forward to The Witness!

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

The Amnesia games - they have a heavy focus on horror elements, though. Mirrormoon EP looks great - I don't have it, but my brother played it and commended it. There are other adventure games that aren't first-person and that are great, you should take a look at those (Primordia, for instance). And I also have high expectation for The Witness - it is by J. Blow, after all :P.

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

I never played it but I hear very good things about Dear Esther and I think Proteus fits that category but I know almost nothing about it.

Unfinished Swan was great though and Gone Home's in my Steam library ready to go.

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -INKling-
Member since 2007 • 4237 Posts

MirrorMoon EP looks like it might fit the bill. It looks like a kind of trippy indie thing.

tegolich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tegolich

@iHarlequin: I know I miss a bunch of great games, but I just can't get myself to play horrors :D

Dear Esther looks great though, and Proteus with MirrorMoon EP are promising. I also forgot to mention Antichamber, very unique and mind-blowing game.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Datura on the PS3

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#7  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

You might want to try out the Visual Novel genre, a mostly first-person genre that has possibly the best examples of interactive storytelling I've seen. Here's a few examples I'd recommend:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Clannad

Steins Gate

Ever 17: Out of Infinity

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

tegolich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tegolich

@Jag85: I tried to play Zero Escape when I got it with the ps plus, but that game was just too Japanese for me. I loved the puzzles, but the characters were faaaar too strange to believe in them. I could only complete one branch, and that was it for me. I was going to get Ace Attorney though, and Clannad surely is an awesome anime :)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#9  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

@tegolich: Cool. Nice to know you've already tried one of them out. If you didn't like Zero Escape much, then I'm not sure if you'd like its predecessors Ever 17 or 999 much, though you could still give them a try. I'm pretty sure you'll like Phoenix Wright though. And if you liked the Clannad anime, then you might want to check out the original game too. And finally, Steins Gate has a great sci-fi narrative, so you might want to check that out too, or you could just watch the anime adaptation.