Good Gundam Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

I recently started playing Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for the Ps2 and was wondering if I could get some suggestions for other good Gundam games across all platforms. I usually stick to the Universal Century timeline as it's the only one I really enjoy. (Although Gundam Wing was pretty cool).

Lets face it,good Gundam games are hard to come by these days, especially this past decade.

Some other good Gundam games I have enjoyed are:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079 (Super Nintendo)

New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (Super Nintendo)

Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise From the Ashes (Dreamcast)

I've also tried the demo for Mobile Ops: The One Year War on the 360 but unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to get released stateside.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I used to play Gundam Battle Assualt 2 a lot and used to really like it. If I still had it I would play it to this day.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Zeonic Front is really good, nice combat and strategy. Encounters in Space is alright for the most part, I loved the scenarios in it. Journey to Jaburo is good, but really short. They're all for the PS2. I'd tell you my opinion on Gundam vs Zeta if I had played it.

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

Y'know, I was just thinkin' about this myself the other day. Gundam games have a reputation for being pretty mediocre to plain horrible = \ I always find myself thinking, "Man, if I wasn't a huge Gundam fan I would not be playing this game" lol.

All that aside, Zeonic Front was pretty cool. Journey to Jaburo is cool in the sense that it follows the original series. Also, if you like MMOs, there's a older Gundam MMO that was cancelled years back, but has been revived on a private server. I think it's awesome, but it has its' share of problems and it can be hard to get started. It's sorta like Eve Online and is set in the Universal Century timeline

Here's a link! http://ucgoserver.com/

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

The Gundam Side Story games on Saturn and Dreamcast are the best Gundam games.

I remember Encounters in Space on PS2 to be pretty fun as well.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AcidSoldner

Y'know, I was just thinkin' about this myself the other day. Gundam games have a reputation for being pretty mediocre to plain horrible = \ I always find myself thinking, "Man, if I wasn't a huge Gundam fan I would not be playing this game" lol.

All that aside, Zeonic Front was pretty cool. Journey to Jaburo is cool in the sense that it follows the original series. Also, if you like MMOs, there's a older Gundam MMO that was cancelled years back, but has been revived on a private server. I think it's awesome, but it has its' share of problems and it can be hard to get started. It's sorta like Eve Online and is set in the Universal Century timeline

Archendrus

I had heard about this a while back but payed no attention to it as the servers where shut down in 2007; plus it was in Japanese.

Thanks for the link though, I'll be sure to check it out. Although the system requirments seem a bit high for the way it looks (bad optimization maybe?). I also checked out the Titans private server but it seems that one is offline for the time being.

Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

[QUOTE="Archendrus"]

AcidSoldner

I had heard about this a while back but payed no attention to it as the servers where shut down in 2007; plus it was in Japanese.

Thanks for the link though, I'll be sure to check it out. Although the system requirments seem a bit high for the way it looks (bad optimization maybe?). I also checked out the Titans private server but it seems that one is offline for the time being.

Yeah Titans Server is kinda struggling, looooots of bugs, UCGO Private Server is coming along nicely, almost every thing from the original game has been implemented.

The interface in the game is actually about 70% English. The only things in Japanese are the options menu, and some system messages. There's translation screenshots you can look at for the options menu.

The only reason for the high system requirements (that I can think of) is that for some reason, the game doesn't use RAM, it runs almost entirely off the CPU. I have no idea how they pulled that one off lol

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
You'd probably enjoy Journey to Jaburo and Zeonic Front, they're similar to Federation vs Zeon and also on PS2. They're both a bit older though so they might seem a bit more dated. I also thought MS Saga: A New Dawn(PS2) was decent, it's an RPG.
shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

Ms saga: a new dawn was pretty good, it's an rpg. Gundam battle assault was pretty good. Dynasty Warriors gundam 2 is alright, it gets boring kinda fast..

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

The best Gundam games are Japanese only.

The Gihren's Greed series are among the best console strategy games you can find in terms of gameplay depth and strategic factor. The gundam license just makes them more sweet.

Pilots' Locust for the GameCube is also top-notch. Beats Federation vs. Zeon DX in my view.

Encounters in Space, i find it a very decent and exciting rail shooter with lots of cool unlockable characters to play.

Unfortunately the voice acting in English Gundam games is just atrocious in comparison. Having listened to Federation vs. Zeon DX and Encounters in Space in English I'm even more happy with my Japanese copies.

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
The Side Story series on Saturn is very fun, especially with the Twin-Sticks.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidSoldner

Still pissed that Operation Troy/Mobile Ops: One Year War couldn't be released stateside. I mean Battlefield style gameplay with Gundams, thats like a dream come true.

Trailer. So epic.

What makes it worse is that I can't even import it. Curse you region lock!

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Panzer_Zwei

Still pissed that Operation Troy/Mobile Ops: One Year War couldn't be released stateside. I mean Battlefield style gameplay with Gundams, thats like a dream come true.

Trailer. So epic.

AcidSoldner

Yeah, seriously. That they released Target in Sight and Musou overseas but not this was a real crime.

These aren't retro games though.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Trailer. So epic.

Panzer_Zwei

Yeah, seriously. That they released Target in Sight and Musou overseas but not this was a real crime.

I know its not, I just wanted to vent my frustration somewhere:P

I also looked up Gundam Battle Online for the Dreamcast, also a Japanese only release; Gameplay.

It looks awesome but pretty involved as well, possibly requiring some knowledge of the Japanese language to fully grasp. Something I unfortunately don't have. Anyone play it with out any problems?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Trailer. So epic.

AcidSoldner

I also looked up Gundam Battle Online for the Dreamcast, also a Japanese only release; Gameplay.

It looks awesome but pretty involved as well, possibly requiring some knowledge of the Japanese language to fully grasp. Something I unfortunately don't have. Anyone play it with out any problems?

I din't liked that one, for the DC right?

But even without knowing Japanese people still play the Gihren's Greed series. There's always a FAQ out there, or you can grab the commands from a Japanese site and translate them yourself with Google or Babelfish.

There's always a way, and eventually, in these sort of game everything ends up becoming second nature, and you learn what to do and how to do it quickly. You just memorize the whole deal.

The problem is when you quit playing the game for a while and then want to go back. You'd have to immerse yourself once again in the game.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]Yeah, seriously. That they released Target in Sight and Musou overseas but not this was a real crime.

Panzer_Zwei

But even without knowing Japanese people still play the Gihren's Greed series. There's always a FAQ out there, or you can grab the commands from a Japanese site and translate them yourself with Google or Babelfish.

There's always a way, and eventually, in these sort of game everything ends up becoming second nature, and you learn what to do and how to do it quickly. You just memorize the whole deal.

The problem is when you quit playing the game for a while and then want to go back. You'd have to immerse yourself once again in the game.

What platforms are the Gihren's Greed series of games on? I love strategy games so I might take them out for a spin.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

AcidSoldner

What platforms are the Gihren's Greed series of games on? I love strategy games so I might take them out for a spin.

It was originally released for the SS. Then the sequel appeared on the PS and DC. Afterwards there was a PS2 version, and everything after it has been released for the PSP.

It is a very awesome "conquer the world and space" strategy game series. The best I've played from a Japanese developer on consoles, actually.

The trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne8IL4-ltrU

Also, check Gihren's Greed on Youtube for the awesome exclusive cinematics of the series! They show never seen animation like this one of a Zeon victory :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRT6MwJfJ8&feature=related

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Not technically Gundam games but the only good ones with Gundams in them are in the Suparobo series (2D only)