Good games for older gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I have a ps4 and 360 here. I don't watch too much tv but this is my entertainment when im at home for the most part. I think im outgrowing a lot of these games though. just was messing around with the wolf among us demo. I kind of like it. It reminds me of oldschool adventure games. more slow paced. I like 1st person shooters every so often and have killzone but they get repetitive. I have sports games madden and nba 2k. Finished gta 5. Messed around with Don't starve. I'm liknig these free games on psn. I tried outlast but something with games like that give me vertigo/motion sickness if i sit too long. What else is there? I'd like something additive with good graphics and story i guess. I'm thinking of purchasing the wolf among us or just playing don't starve some more. fable anniversary looks kind of fun too.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Try out Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition. Story isn't fantastic but it's solid and addiction is the name of the game. All the loot you get in the game is random.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#3 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Have you tried the following games?

Secret Of Monkey Island (special edition) - updated classic adventure

Terraria - platformer with exploring, crafting, mining, building

LA Noire - third person action/detective game

The Saboteur - third person city roaming adventure set in WW2

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway - tactical WW2 FPS with squad commands

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - slower paced turn-based strategy

Fallout 3 - open world first/third person RPG

Hitman: Absolution - third person assassin/stealth game

Limbo - platformer

Bastion - colourful action RPG

Braid - platformer

Dragon Age: Origins - RPG

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

The new Tomb Raider was really good. It was one of my favorite games from last year.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Try Playing games together with other people. Portal 2 and Lara Craft and The Guardian of Light is a nice start

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Tomb Raider

Far Cry 3

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34

I have gallowhand. Some of them. I liked fallout 3. Is it me or are games different now? I don't think it's me. Games are about mass marketing and appealing to a wide audience. I remember playing games when I was younger and they were more adult. I'm still looking for that open world adventure game that combines puzzle solving and thinking with some action)shooting mechanics) and a mature story. Watchdogs might but still not what i'm talking about. Deadly Premonition sort fo did this but the writing was terrible imo and trying to be too weird. Just seemed like pc gaming back in the day was just as much for 40-50 year olds as it was for kids.

I try to play gta but it's more like I feel old and why am I playing this.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celtic_34

LA Noire had the setting and mature story and driving from location to location down. But the questioning and all that stuff was too repetitive and hooky. Don't understand why they cant make a game like that that's more mature and has puzzle solving with some action sprinkled in like that. You have to go to certain places to unlock other areas and progress the story etc. Strategy games are also a dying breed.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

The Walking Dead is a great story. One of my favorite XBLA games from last year.

As the other poster said, try out Portal 2. That game will make you think and is pretty darn amazing. Playing co-op with a friend is fun too, because you really have to work together to solve the puzzles.

Check out Splinter Cell Blacklist too for a good strategy 3rd person shooter. I love that game. The MP was blah, but the single player and co-op are very well done.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

Have you tried the following games?

Secret Of Monkey Island (special edition) - updated classic adventure

Terraria - platformer with exploring, crafting, mining, building

LA Noire - third person action/detective game

The Saboteur - third person city roaming adventure set in WW2

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway - tactical WW2 FPS with squad commands

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - slower paced turn-based strategy

Fallout 3 - open world first/third person RPG

Hitman: Absolution - third person assassin/stealth game

Limbo - platformer

Bastion - colourful action RPG

Braid - platformer

Dragon Age: Origins - RPG

I second all of those! This is a great list. I bolded a few that I especially think are great.

Also consider trying Dead Rising or maybe one of the many Halo games. All fun. If you liked GTA, why not try Saints Row or some of its sequels. They are a bit wacky, but still very entertaining.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gallowhand

@Celtic_34 said:

I have gallowhand. Some of them. I liked fallout 3. Is it me or are games different now? I don't think it's me. Games are about mass marketing and appealing to a wide audience. I remember playing games when I was younger and they were more adult. I'm still looking for that open world adventure game that combines puzzle solving and thinking with some action)shooting mechanics) and a mature story. Watchdogs might but still not what i'm talking about. Deadly Premonition sort fo did this but the writing was terrible imo and trying to be too weird. Just seemed like pc gaming back in the day was just as much for 40-50 year olds as it was for kids.

I try to play gta but it's more like I feel old and why am I playing this.

Games have certainly changed quite a lot during the past 30 years, in both good and bad ways. I think you may be currently searching for something that doesn't yet exist - and may never exist, because 'thinking' and challenging puzzles are becoming less prevalent. You said it yourself, it's because publishers want to appeal to a wider audience, so they go for the lowest common denominator.

I would be interested to know which past games you felt appealed to you more, so get a better idea of what might appeal to you now. Perhaps you should revisit some of the older PC game titles, or try out some you missed. There's a nice selection on GOG.com.

When it comes to age, I don't think that is the only issue here. As a child of the 60's myself, I can still find a lot of engaging gaming experiences. However, I have gone through some periods where I just lost interest for a while, sometimes not gaming for months or a year. Maybe you just need to take a break for a while, and then come back to it with a fresher outlook.

RoyalClown_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 RoyalClown_1
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

I found Mass Effect, Bioshock, Uncharted, and Red Dead Redemption to be very pleasing to my grown-up side.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Celtic_34

GAllowhand. I just turned 40. I actually planned to be done with games in my early 30's but it didn't work out that way. I had a 360 and ps3 and figured those would be my last consoles but just picked up a ps4 and sold the ps3. Games I really used to like were the sierra and lucasarts adventure games. I always envisioned those games would grow up and be more of an open world with good graphcis and action mixed in. Alan Wake and LA Noire sort of tried to do this but eh. I used to like strategy games and sports games for the most part. But adventure games used to be better back in the day. Same with strategy games. RPG's are still good but games like planescape torment and oldschool bioware were really good games. Liked Jade Empire on xbox too and mass effect was really good but kind of went the mainstream route later on.

I actually liked those games royalcrown. Already played them though. Elder Scrolls and fallout and Bethesda I like as well. Wasn't a huge fan of bioshock for some reason.

I haven't played any of the assassin's creed games. I was thinking of giving black flag a go but I don't know. The Sabateur I sort of liked. More focused on story and mature story then some of these other open world games. Just wasn't that well done.

Liked diablo. Demons souls was really good but really hard.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Celtic_34

I think like you say the game i'm looking for doesn't exist. And may never. Like a huge sprawling open world with mature mechanics, story and gameplay. I want a game that's worth investing some time in. Most of these games are too kiddy for me now. Like Royalcrown stated, Mass Effect, Red Dead and Bethesda games are probably the closest thing to what i'm talking about. They just miss the mark in some areas. Then you have linear action games like Uncharted.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

In addition to the games already mentioned you may want to check out Skyrim. I found it quite addictive and ended up putting way more hours into it than I'd like to admit. Try to pick up the Legendary edition if you can. The Dawnguard and Dragonborn expansions add quite a bit to the game.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gallowhand

Okay, I have a few more suggestions, but you may already have tried them:

The Witcher series - definitely more mature in terms of story and gameplay

Older adventure games on PC:

The Broken Sword series
Sanitarium - has a psychological horror theme
Syberia 1 & 2
The Longest Journey

RPG on PC:

Divine Divinity - often overlooked and mistaken for simple hack'n'slash but has more depth
Legend of Grimrock - an homage to games like Eye Of The Beholder, and has some tricky puzzles.
Temple Of Elemental Evil - party-based with turn-based combat
Neverwinter Nights - excellent RPG

In Development:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - a realistic medieval themed RPG
Pillars of Eternity - a new RPG similar to Baldur's Gate and developed by some of the same people
Torment: Tides of Numenara - a spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - this game will be more open-world

Also, have you tried turn-based strategy games like the Civilisation series, Europa Universalis series, Hearts of Iron series, etc.?

lastdesirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By lastdesirer
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

League of Legends RP Hack has no limit on the amount of Riot Points you have great time in it

tikhung01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tikhung01
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Try Max Payne 3.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

New Vegas. Much better Fallout game than F3.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Celtic_34

I was messing around with AC2 last night because I got it free off live a while back and never played it. I sort of like it. It's more what i'm talking about about having an open world with a good story. Still a bit stale though and the missions leave a lot to be desired if you know what I mean. It's fetch this, fetch that. It just seemed to me like the writing and creativity was much greater in games back in the day.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Celtic_34

also didn't buy a ps4 to play older games so much. I have the 360. I was just looking on gamespot of new games coming out that might be what i'm talking about. watch dogs, Sherlock holmes, murdered soul suspect look somewhat interesting. D4 is has been turned episodic and like the walking dead and telltale games? it's not open world any more? Seems like watch dogs is the only open world game out of these. Infamous 2nd son but again more action. There is really no in between.

D4 if it was more up to date with better graphics and writing would be what i'm talking about. But they've now made it not open world?

The evil within looks like survival horror but not open world either. Looks really good though in a resident evil sort of way.

I'm probably just going to get drive club and a nice racing game because i'm not sure these games appeal to me. Watch dogs should be good. Still play mlb the show.

Thief and Infamous look amazing but not sure if my kind of game.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#22  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Crysis 3 and/or Dues Ex HR revolution would be good choices for fps. RAGE Anarchy Edition is pretty darn good too.

Dragon Age Origins is an amazing rpg. Ni No Kuni is amazing Jrpg.

Kingdoms of Amalur offers a huge, and I mean huge open world. You can craft your own equipment and level up with different classes and abilities to learn.

Lords of Shadow offers you a mature story, but its somewhat linear. The second one promises to offer a open world similar to zelda with puzzles and what not. Basically a mature darker zelda where you play as dracula.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I think like you say the game i'm looking for doesn't exist. And may never. Like a huge sprawling open world with mature mechanics, story and gameplay. I want a game that's worth investing some time in. Most of these games are too kiddy for me now. Like Royalcrown stated, Mass Effect, Red Dead and Bethesda games are probably the closest thing to what i'm talking about. They just miss the mark in some areas. Then you have linear action games like Uncharted.

Darksiders games. Why hasn't anyone said them yet?

Darksider 1 and 2, you can get them fairly cheap now. The first one is a zelda + God of War combo. The world is Zelda-ish with dungeons and puzzles, and the combat is great like God of War. The second one is more of a Kingdom of Amalur + Prince of Persia + Zelda combo. The world is bigger than the first, more puzzles and dungeons than the first, you have loot and level up like Kingdom of amalur, and you scale walls and climb like Prince of Persia.

Tho they aren't shooters, they are adventure games with a mature story and may have what you are looking for in a game.