Good Bye G A M E S P O T......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jacquelineferre
jacquelineferre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By jacquelineferre
Member since 2013 • 116 Posts

The site that I used to love is dead now all that is left is a chaotic battle between random text boxes and pictures placed at even more random places.

The site is slower than ever...

The search system is horrible...

All the Unions are gone...

The game's news are harder to see hidden in a small collumn on the left supressed by all those redundant content...

I lost my tracked games. I don't have a customised experience anymore. I don't receive the news about the about the games that I have interest...

Stacks are a lousy idea, The game's list worked much better...

I can't even watch the anymore...

Changes are welcome but only if it is for the better. The new GS is prettier but worse in every other aspect this is a perfect example of how a poor design can completely ruined the user experience where the functionality was completely forgotten and only the appearance was taken into account...

Fire you web designer he is an incompetent.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Functionality was forgotten? If that were the case, no one would have ever known how you felt on this redesign because you wouldn't have been able to broadcast your blog in this forum. (which isn't really the right forum for this) I want to make a post about Killer Instinct. I can do a quick search within the message editor for videos on the site of the game, I can use a # to quickly bring up a hyper link to the games page, and I can use @ to call out a certain user who I want to see the thread in case they got on hours after it was made and miss it.

It would seem to me functionality was kept at the forefront. But to each their own.

For what it's worth I agree about the stacks though, they are just AWFUL.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

To me the biggest problem is the removal of the game database: need to find a list of SNES or GameCube games? Well tough t*tty, gamespot won't help anymore. "If it's old, it's DEAD"

I guess that's what happens when your management doesn't really give a shit about videogames and just deals with them for a living.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

I'm, unfortunately, seeing this redesign to be a large step in the wrong direction. It's just not as enjoyable/as efficient /as user-friendly a site to use as it used to be. I'm mostly at IGN now even though that place is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I should be cautious.

Plus I've noticed the boards have really died down. Some users are less, some gone, and there's barely any new topics.

It's honestly kind of depressing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#4 deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts

Well, I like it. It takes a bit of time to adjust.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i got some issues, only reason i am sticking around is the community, nothing else at this point

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I'm not having nearly as many issues as others seem to be having. But I will stay here regardless. I have joined a number of forums over the years but I never found a community that could match or best this one.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I hope some forums come back though.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Yeah...

I prefer the older look. But that's just me.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

To me the biggest problem is the removal of the game database: need to find a list of SNES or GameCube games? Well tough t*tty, gamespot won't help anymore. "If it's old, it's DEAD"

I guess that's what happens when your management doesn't really give a shit about videogames and just deals with them for a living.

That's good to know. I thought I was just trying something stupid trying to find Xbox titles. Good to know they're just not there anymore.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

@jacquelineferre: Agree, the new site is terrible, but where to go? IGN, Giant Bomb? Just want the old GS site back.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Plus I've noticed the boards have really died down. Some users are less, some gone, and there's barely any new topics.

This is an understatement, this place is ghost town compared to what it used to be. The PC forum is absolutely dead.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

My goodness. You guys do know that it's been less than a week, right? Site roll-outs take a bit to work out the kinks. I'm sure a lot of the old features will work their way back in and they'll take care of the site gremlins as they can.

Do you guys have some kind of nutritional deficiency that causes you to not grow patience?

I agree on "STACKS" though.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I am giving it some times, but unless it improves I am going to leave. it is clearly less streamline than the old one.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I'm, unfortunately, seeing this redesign to be a large step in the wrong direction. It's just not as enjoyable/as efficient /as user-friendly a site to use as it used to be. I'm mostly at IGN now even though that place is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I should be cautious.

Noticed this as well.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Randolph

I liked Gamespot's forums better when they were smaller (2001 - 2004), so a decrease in traffic overall to the forums and a big pick up in my own desire to be around is likely not coincidental.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@Randolph said:

I liked Gamespot's forums better when they were smaller (2001 - 2004), so a decrease in traffic overall to the forums and a big pick up in my own desire to be around is likely not coincidental.

GS forums are practically deserted now though....

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Randolph

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Randolph said:

I've been here since 2001, they're fine. ;)

Slower than they were recently, yes. Deserted? Nah.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Randolph said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Randolph said:

I've been here since 2001, they're fine. ;)

Slower than they were recently, yes. Deserted? Nah.

Well, compared to before its not like forums are filled with activity.

Gamespot have shot themselves in the foot here and would love to see how much traffic they have lost.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

That's precisely what I said, dude. ;)

Forum activity is definitely down compared to a few weeks/months ago. But I don't think we are at a point where we can call it deserted. My view being influenced by the fact that I've been here much longer than most of you, as far back as when these forums had no avatars, no sigs, and threads didn't even bump when replied to.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

That's precisely what I said, dude. ;)

Forum activity is definitely down compared to a few weeks/months ago. But I don't think we are at a point where we can call it deserted. My view being influenced by the fact that I've been here much longer than most of you, as far back as when these forums had no avatars, no sigs, and threads didn't even bump when replied to.

I find myself not wanting to come here as much because the forms are just not as streamlined as they were before.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

My goodness. You guys do know that it's been less than a week, right? Site roll-outs take a bit to work out the kinks. I'm sure a lot of the old features will work their way back in and they'll take care of the site gremlins as they can.

Do you guys have some kind of nutritional deficiency that causes you to not grow patience?

I agree on "STACKS" though.

They still removed all the unions

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@muthsera666 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

That's good to know. I thought I was just trying something stupid trying to find Xbox titles. Good to know they're just not there anymore.

They're technically there, but you need to search for the exact title if you want to find them, which makes older reviews hard to find and therefore pretty much useless.

Just use Mobygames (also ruined by a recent restyling, but still somehwat usable) or wikipedia.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Yeah, I know....

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Love the new site's look. People who don't like it I think are suborn and must #DealWithIt

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I tend to agree with those who say the site just isn't enjoyable. I've haven't been here nearly as much, mostly going to Neogaf now instead for the time being. Don't know how much longer I really plan on being around.

steve216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By steve216
Member since 2002 • 11446 Posts

I've been lurking around this site since back when you could pay to subscribe to use it, ever since that went away this site has become a snowball of a turd rolling downhill. I put that all aside for the good reviews, I would only use this site to judge a game but now looking back that's gone too.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

As far as the forums are concerned, the content is provided by the users (to the extent allowed by the killjoy moderators), so that shouldn't be any different once they get all the technical glitches worked out of this mess. I was a bit shocked to find how poorly the new site performed when it was first put online, that's rather hard to explain. GS will recover in time, at least as far as the technical glitches go.

TeldurUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TeldurUK
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Long time lurker who has suddenely decided to actually post stuff.

I think it is easy to over-react to change. For one I'm really impressed with the general cosmetic changes. I visit Gamespot for the video content and the new GS puts that content front and centre. Website development has changed a lot since the original site came online, and their is only so much you can change before you just have to rebuild from scratch.

In regards to bugs and such, yes I too have spotted the old 'dead' link, slow loading pages and so on. The way I approach a newly designed site, especally one such as this with a high amount of traffic, is to compare it to the launch of an MMO. Its going to be broken, no amount of testing and such can prepare you for the onslaught of clicks. Things aren't going to work, some ideas will work better than others, etc...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Randolph

For those leaving I would only say good luck. Once you get used to this community, finding a replacement is nigh impossible. All the communities on the internet have a unique flavor. If you're stuck on this flavor, you won't find it elsewhere. I've tried that before, it doesn't work.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i agree with this, current GS is a clusterf*ck. I don't post on any gaming forums because i don't like their interface (they all look like current GS) but on GS it was simple to find everything and see everything. Now its a mess and its the first time since 05-06 i don't feel like posting here anymore.

Daword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 Daword
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Gamespot Sux Now!