God of War vs. Ninja Geiden

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daeyongahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daeyongahn
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Can you guys share your opinions about Ninja Geiden on PS3? Is it that good? A lot of people say good things about it. Also, how does it compare to the God of War series?

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

God of War is more about presentation.

Ninja Gaiden is all about gameplay.

I prefer neither

Avatar image for Killarfromspace
Killarfromspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Killarfromspace
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
You spelled gaiden wrong. God of War would obviously win. He is a god, which Ninja gaiden is not.
daeyongahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 daeyongahn

You prefer neither? Does it mean that you like both games or you do not care for either? I never played Ninja Geiden. It would be a lot of thanks if you could share your experience with me!!!

daeyongahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 daeyongahn

You spelled gaiden wrong. God of War would obviously win. He is a god, which Ninja gaiden is not.Killarfromspace

Have you actually played both? I really liked the God of War series. Did you like God of War better than Ninja Gaiden?

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TriangleHard

You prefer neither? Does it mean that you like both games or you do not care for either? I never played Ninja Geiden. It would be a lot of thanks if you could share your experience with me!!!

daeyongahn

I played both games, and I didn't really enjoy them.

God of War has that nice story that really makes you want to go through the game. However, the gameplay is quite unrefined. The upgrade does feel essential almost to a fault and doesn't really have good balance. The combat is too heavy with button mashing. Enemies simply don't go down fast, which is not a good way to extend gameplay hours or difficulty.

Also Kratos lacks grace.

Ninja Gaiden on the other hand is opposite of God of War.

Story is pretty much terrible and meaningless. Even if you are big fan of stories in games and that's important to you (like me) you will find yourself skipping cut scenes. That's how bad it is.

On the other hand, the gameplay is at it's finest among action games. It is legitimately difficult game, and your skills truly matters when it comes to taking down enemies.

Unlike God of War, it is not button mashing game. You better know exact combo you are pulling and when you pull that combo. Kind of like fighting game, you find yourself blocking and looking for that split opening to take down enemies.

In other words, the game is very difficult and has some serious depth and requires you to spend a lot of time with it and master the game in order for you to enjoy it and finish it.

Ryu has grace that Kratos lack, but has no personality unlike Kratos.

Both games does one thing well but other thing not so well.

So there is good middle ground for it called Devils May Cry, but that game is so stuck up with it's own style, it is corny.

I'd wait for Bayonetta.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts
Both are excellent games but I'd go with Ninja Gaiden. For me it's the best action game ever.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
God of War kills anything but NG is also great. It's deeper but I just don't find it quite as enjoyable. Not to mention, Kratos could crush Ryu like a bug 8)
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts
I have played both games and the comment that Ninja Gaiden is deeper is so far from the truth. If deeper means bad camera angles that directly affects the controls, then I guess its deeper. If deeper means rinse repeating the same moves for most if not all enemies then I guess its deeper. Ninja Gaiden has more weapons than God of War but I don't see it being any more in depth gameplay wise. God of War non combat button mashing is simply annoying and adds nothing to the game.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TriangleHard

I have played both games and the comment that Ninja Gaiden is deeper is so far from the truth. If deeper means bad camera angles that directly affects the controls, then I guess its deeper. If deeper means rinse repeating the same moves for most if not all enemies then I guess its deeper. Ninja Gaiden has more weapons than God of War but I don't see it being any more in depth gameplay wise. God of War non combat button mashing is simply annoying and adds nothing to the game.Pedro

Ok I'll explain why it is deeper.

Ninja Gaiden has multiple aspects when it comes to gameplay. Blocking, dodging, and combos.

Ninja Gaiden requires you to know timing of enemies. You need to find openings instead of going buck wild. Defense is such crucial part of the game. Also it is frame based combat system that requires you to know the frames of window of animations for you to know when the enemy is open.

That is why Ninja Gaiden is known to have more depth than other action games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro
Ok I'll explain why it is deeper.

Ninja Gaiden has multiple aspects when it comes to gameplay. Blocking, dodging, and combos.

Ninja Gaiden requires you to know timing of enemies. You need to find openings instead of going buck wild. Defense is such crucial part of the game. Also it is frame based combat system that requires you to know the frames of window of animations for you to know when the enemy is open.

TriangleHard
You just describe the mechanics in God of War and if I remember correctly (can be wrong here)you cannot be interrupted in the middle of a combo in Ninja Gaiden. The same cannot be said about God of War. Those SOB can hit you regardless of what combo you executing, certain magic being the only exception.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]Ok I'll explain why it is deeper.

Pedro

You just describe the mechanics in God of War and if I remember correctly (can be wrong here)you cannot be interrupted in the middle of a combo in Ninja Gaiden. The same cannot be said about God of War. Those SOB can hit you regardless of what combo you executing, certain magic being the only exception.

I don't remember God of War being defensive game.

Dodge? sure that was important, but not blocking.

and yeah you can interrupt enemy if you land hit in Ninja Gaiden, but that doesn't mean game is easier. A.I makes up for it, and actually that's why Ninja Gaiden is deeper game. You have to aim for that moment you can land a hit in that opening in order for you to do additional damage by combo. Making the game technical and strategic.

And that opening doesn't come often. You really have to nail the timing to get it. God of War, the enemy is full of opening. Sure they still move when they get hit, but for the most part of the game, you can land a hit pretty much anytime you want.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it depends why you like the gow games. if you like them for the character kratos and his adventures, then i cant say that youd get that experience in ng. if you like them for the combat, then id highly recommend it since ng has better combat and more of it. though i will mention that ng doesnt have all the satisfying puzzles to break up the combat that gow does.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

and yeah you can interrupt enemy if you land hit in Ninja Gaiden, but that doesn't mean game is easier. A.I makes up for it, and actually that's why Ninja Gaiden is deeper game. You have to aim for that moment you can land a hit in that opening in order for you to do additional damage by combo. Making the game technical and strategic.

And that opening doesn't come often. You really have to nail the timing to get it. God of War, the enemy is full of opening. Sure they still move when they get hit, but for the most part of the game, you can land a hit pretty much anytime you want.

TriangleHard

God of War 1 I am a bit rusty on how it compares to 2 since 2 is the most recent one I have played. In GOW2, blocking and dodging is very important or you will die and die alot. The enemies are capable of blocking themselves. Overall two required alot of precision timing especially on the harder difficulty. GOW2 combat was not a button mashing fest, doing that would get you nowhere. The button mashing for the non combat actions are the real annoyance. Also enemies had an annoying habit when in groups to attack in a timed sequence that have a tendency of getting you when retaliating against enemies. Lets not forget that you are ALWAYS open when you are attacking, regardless of the attack so you have to know when and what attack to use depending on the situation or you will get the sequence chain attacks from enemies.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

Pedro

God of War 1 I am a bit rusty on how it compares to 2 since 2 is the most recent one I have played. In GOW2, blocking and dodging is very important or you will die and die alot. The enemies are capable of blocking themselves. Overall two required alot of precision timing especially on the harder difficulty. GOW2 combat was not a button mashing fest, doing that would get you nowhere. The button mashing for the non combat actions are the real annoyance. Also enemies had an annoying habit when in groups to attack in a timed sequence that have a tendency of getting you when retaliating against enemies. Lets not forget that you are ALWAYS open when you are attacking, regardless of the attack so you have to know when and what attack to use depending on the situation or you will get the sequence chain attacks from enemies.

Well it's difficult to explain.

Put it simply, Final Fight is also requires you to dodge and land hits and God of War is kind of like that.

Once you get the hit in, you can get your hits in. Also Kratos himself doesn't get interrupted too easily. Ninja Gaiden on the other hand is more punishing if you leave yourself an opening. Enemies will start juggling you and land some massive combo.

It's the precision and accuracy that makes the big difference.

God I suck at explaning. If someone can do a better job, please do so.

nikolai37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nikolai37
Member since 2005 • 630 Posts
I was a bit disappointed by Ninja Gaiden, still a good game though. I think God Of War is WAY better than Ninja Gaiden. Some people love Ninja Gaiden though, its all just an opinion.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Well, Kratos is a more interesting character than Hayabusa, and the God of War games definitely have more depth and substance to their story. But, as far as having depth and challenge in the combat, Ninja Gaiden is the clear winner, as Hayabusa's move set is as diverse as a character in a fighting game, the action is faster, the weapon selection is more diverse, and there's a wider variety of boss fights.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#18 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I like them both but I'm more into God of War.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
Ninja Gaiden has a deeper combat system, but the rest of the game is garbage (this is doubly true of the wildly cheap NG2), so overall I prefer GoW. In the GoW games (I played through all of them including the PSP game) the developers clearly put a lot of thought into the puzzles, story, monster design and level design, whereas in the NG console games (I haven't played the DS game) all those things are clearly afterthoughts.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Can you guys share your opinions about Ninja Geiden on PS3? Is it that good? A lot of people say good things about it. Also, how does it compare to the God of War series?

daeyongahn

Ninja Gaiden is a great, great action game. It is very challenging and demanding of the player, and for some, requires alot of patience. God Of War I feel is a more accessible, cinematic experience, with great puzzles, combat, and boss battles. I won't even mention the lameness that was Ninja Gaiden II.

I'd definitely say I prefer God Of War (and not just because of my avatar). :P

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts
Id have to say it is a tough choice but im gonna go with God of War. Be warned: my opinion of Ninja Gaiden may not be valid because i have only beaten NG2. Ninja Gaiden does have a very technical play style in that if you just try and hack and slash your way through, you wont get very far. But im also going to say is that you can get away with it due to healing items. The action is more fast paced and once you get good is VERY enjoyable, but enemies and bosses can be INCREDIBLY cheap in the fact they have attcks you cant block and have an annoying tendency to use them over, and over... and over, result in cheap deaths. In fact, all of my deaths in NG were because of cheap deaths. But overall, the combat is very satisfying (given the camera cooperates) but i did find myself using about 1/4 of the moves available to me because thats all i needed to do to get through it. So many of it is a waste IMO, including the other weapons ( I used the dragon sword and claws and scythe only for fun). Now onto GOW. I can COMPLETELY understand why someone would say GOW is hack and slash and is nto about defense. Now go play Titan mode and eat your words. Timing and defense are VITAL in GOW on higher difficulties, and while it doesnt have the subtlties and precision of NG, you will have to understand your moves when to, and when not to use them or you will get annihilated. Blocking isnt important? I cant even mention all the times a parry with the Golden Fleece has saved my ass. GOW combat is much more accesible bcuz theres not as many combos like in NG and they are simple, and rewarding. THe puzzles also offer a nice change of pace, and are fun while they last. THe boss fights i again give the edge to GOW because they are not as cheap, and much more cinematic and entertaining. Ive already typed way too much, so im going to sum it up and say i would much rather play GOW than NG, while they each of their own redeeming qualities.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
God of War destroys Ninja Gaiden in every way possible. Ninja Gaiden is cheap, unbalanced, and the controls are not very good or responsive.