cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Playing on “Give me God of War” setting and the first set of Draugr at the very beginning were giving me issues. Either it’s been awhile since I’ve played god of war or this game is looking to be taxing going forward.

I’m wondering if the difficulty curbs a bit as Kratos gets upgraded. Right now it seems he does minimal damage while one swipe from the enemy is half the health bar. Starting to get in the groove of things and learning from my mistakes but I know now that whatever difficulty they’ve been playing in all these gameplay vids it’s definitely not this one.

Tip: I’ve learned that it pays to be a bit aggressive. Seems most enemies so far can buff themselves during battle to sustain more damage. (I swear some even heal) so it’s good to go on the offensive before they do that.

Anyone find that this iteration ups the challenge level over the rest of the games in the series? (On the hardest difficulty of course)

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

get gud

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Vodoo
Member since 2003 • 3691 Posts

@cejay0813: Definitely a much tougher game. For me anyway, it's mostly because the control buttons are mapped wrong. I think it would be much easier if I could use the face buttons for attacks instead of R2/R1.

I originally started on the 3rd highest difficulty, but would like to experience this 30 hour game in less than a year, lol. So I put it back to default. But it is tougher and not as responsive as the other GoW games.

xenopod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xenopod2
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

never tried it to be fair

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Currently four hours in on the hardest difficulty 'GmGoW' setting, would rank the difficulty of the game a 6/10. Standard GoW difficulty, many things to exploit and enemy A.I. isn't that advance. The over-the-shoulder camera is your only main disadvantage.

The game itself though is worth checking out, it's really fun and one of my favorite games this year for sure.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cejay0813

@RSM-HQ: Clue me in on some of these exploits you've found. Only thing I've been successful at is knocking some weaker enemies off the stage with Spartan Rage. The axe toss is completely useless, and enemies don't flinch from standard attacks. Maybe after you level Kratos a bit but early on you're weak. Perfecting the parry in every encounter will get you far.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
@cejay0813 said:

@RSM-HQ: Clue me in on some of these exploits you've found. Only thing I've been successful at is knocking some weaker enemies off the stage with Spartan Rage. The axe toss is completely useless, and enemies don't flinch from standard attacks. Maybe after you level Kratos a bit but early on you're weak. Perfecting the parry in every encounter will get you far.

The shield parry is the recommended exploit I use and would recommend, it's seriously OP. The timing for parries are also very generous compared to other games that come to mind.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cejay0813

@RSM-HQ: I’d agree that the timing is generous but being off could prove fatal when you’re out numbered and once again when it doesn’t take much to kill you, parrying starts to lose it’s appeal so i wouldn’t necessarily call it an exploit.

That’s what I meant by “in every encounter.” For instance. You can get by with taking on the brute draugrs with parries but throw some projectile tossing foes in the mix, and the lesser draugrs and those opportunities for parries start to dwindle.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@RSM-HQ: is it like ass creed where you just wait to counter over and over?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
@npiet1 said:

@RSM-HQ: is it like ass creed where you just wait to counter over and over?

If that's the tactic you're after though I would state the parry is more like Royal Guard in DMC or shield parry in DkS. You can't spam the parry action (block) successfully, but the time window is almost a whole second long.

@cejay0813 said: I’d agree that the timing is generous but being off could prove fatal when you’re out numbered and once again when it doesn’t take much to kill you, parrying starts to lose it’s appeal so i wouldn’t necessarily call it an exploit.

GoW (PS4) has some pretty good level design and you can angle enemies to come at you in smaller numbers which takes advantage of the parry mechanic. I'm about ten hours into the game now, on the hardest difficulty. Only died twice while getting a feel for the game. I personally would call the parry an easy exploit.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cejay0813

@RSM-HQ: I agree if we were to use the term exploit, level design can intentionally or unintentionally get you out of some hairy situations. I believe the second time you encounter a revenant in-game, he spawns with two brute draugrs and I believe two projectile draugrs. Once you get the revenant out the way, you can funnel the brutes to the bridge to isolate the projectiles since they will rarely change position. Atreus can aggro one brute while you deal with the other in peace. If things get out of hand, you can jump back across the bridge that leads to that area and in true AI form, the enemies forget about you.

Do you capture? Would like to see some gameplay of you tackling some areas on GmGOW

@npiet1 No I don't think it's that bad.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
@cejay0813 said:

@RSM-HQ: Do you capture? Would like to see some gameplay of you tackling some areas on GmGOW

Not really; I've only really shared gifs and screenshots on gaming forums. Video editing seems to much of a hassle, so don't really bother. And not sure a ten second gif would show a good strategy for how I exploit parries in GmGoW mode.

I would just recommend following enemy reads for the parry and use it. Compared to something like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls on difficulty curve, it's easy to grasp in GoW. Once it clicks, I'd think you're set.