God Halo 5 looks so boring.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6975 Posts

I just don't understand the hype, I've watched so much gameplay from it and all you do is move from point a to b and shoot. There is no variation in the gameplay, it plays exactly the same as every Halo before it, it's like the same boring FPS everyone has played for years. I just don't get why people want more of that? Aren't people tired of the same old yet? It's like Gears of War or Uncharted, I've played it already, I don't need another one, please no more boring cover based TPS unless they're going to reinvent them.

To me the pinnacle of the single player shooter was Half-Life 2 and there hasn't been another one that has excited me since. The genius of that game was to constantly change up the gameplay like what Mario does, you're always given new tools and new things to do, every area changes it up. It's not just what might as well all be the same level, because all you're doing is killing with the same gun and nothing else. Even COD 4 did more to change things up between the sinking boat, your standard shooting levels, then the UAV, the Chernobyl level and the Nuke scene.

The greatest shooters do this, but every time I see Halo, moving around a dull lifeless level with no interactivity, shooting aliens, rinse and repeat. Maybe you'll have a vehicle level, but you're still just doing the same thing but just in a vehicle instead, you're not doing anything unique with it. In Half-Life 2 you were doing puzzles to get the vehicle through the level... ok they were basic puzzles, but physics were new to games, you even had parts where you couldn't walk on the ground or enemies would pop out, I had fun messing with the physics there.

With Halo every level might as well be in the Skybox, you wont be interacting with it at all.

I just do not get that game.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I had a long real life conversation to a Halo fan about why I didn't like it and what he loved about it. He was very passionate about the whole thing, explaining how he loved playing it on hard difficulty and enjoyed the combat and struggle through the levels and how the player had to adapt to the challenges.

I think I was into other types of games at the time and passed on it. To me Halo is a 12 year old boys game, who wants to play soldiers. Pew pew pew! Look at me i'm a tough guy in a big armored generic power suit. It's built a story around itself since then to try and intrigue new players, but i can't get the stigma out of my mind about it being way too laddish. I heard it's online community sucked and was very reflective of how I picture most of it's fan base.

I am going into troll mode again. As I said I spoke to a friend of mine who is a fan, and he's not normally the type of person who is into shallow stuff, so clearly it hits a few chords with a lot of people. Although I am playing Destiny at the moment which is very much Halo, I find it enjoyable. There is a great feeling that often conjures up in Bungee FPS's where your huddling behind cover waiting for your shields to kick in again as laser fire shoots all around you.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

If Half Life 2 was the last sp shooter that excited you, I'd just stop playing and discussing sp shooters and move on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

Well to each their own. Personally I think it looks fantastic and am really looking forward to it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

You find it boring, yet you've "watched so much gameplay" and then make a big thread about it? Yeah umkay...

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@Evil_Saluki:

I think I was into other types of games at the time and passed on it. To me Halo is a 12 year old boys game, who wants to play soldiers. Pew pew pew! Look at me i'm a tough guy in a big armored generic power suit. It's built a story around itself since then to try and intrigue new players, but i can't get the stigma out of my mind about it being way too laddish. I heard it's online community sucked and was very reflective of how I picture most of it's fan base.

I am going into troll mode again. As I said I spoke to a friend of mine who is a fan, and he's not normally the type of person who is into shallow stuff

Just to put it simply, sometimes you want mindless games/tv shows/movies/books because they are basically a pillow for your brain. Nothing more complicated to it than that. Some people live lives that are mentally taxing and need to disengage for a few hours. Judging them for it (which it really sounds like you're doing) is a bit snobbish, no?

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

@Slannmage: I understand the criticism but I don't agree with it. On harder difficulties, there's a certain joy in accomplishing missions without dying. And really, that's how you play Halo. On easier difficulties, it is horrendously boring. Half-Life 2 is about solving puzzles and adventure in a FPS shell. Halo is about skill and not dying wrapped in a FPS shell. I'd argue that Halo's AI is better than Half-Life's AI but that's really it's not being "better," it's just the focus is different.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Well to each their own. Personally I think it looks fantastic and am really looking forward to it.

Me too !

And since were at it, include Gears of War please.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Not a big deal if you don't "get the hype"... nobody is going to like very game that comes out.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6975 Posts

I just don't see the appeal, there is nothing new to offer from Halo 5, it is basically just COD where you're rebuying the same game. With Mario games you're constantly having new gamepaly ideas thrown at you, people say Nintendo are just Mario all the time, but man they know how to change things up from 64, to Sunshine to Galaxy and then 3D World. With Halo you're playing on the same ideas that haven't been changed at all..

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#11 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Slannmage: i never understood the hype of the series at all

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

It's a matter of taste. If you don't like it then you don't like it.

What I do hate are the douche bags that act like they're better than other people for disliking it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

@raugutcon: Yeah I love the Gears of War franchise as well.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sirkibble2

@Slannmage: So do you want to understand or are you just going to keep repeating that you don't get it? If it's the former, I'm happy to have a conversation about it. If it's the latter, you're never going to get it.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

People develop a familiarity with the game and setting etc., this means that they can readily adopt a new game even if it isn't doing much new. Outsiders to this just wonder what the excitement's all about...

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10411 Posts

i loved all the halo games up to and including reach. but 4 felt quite different to the others to me. i really didn't care for it. that was a big factor in me jumping from 360 to ps4 this gen. from what i've seen from 5 i don't regret my decision at all. same deal with gears as well tbh although i preferred gears of war judgment to halo 4.

@Slannmage said:

To me the pinnacle of the single player shooter was Half-Life 2 and there hasn't been another one that has excited me since. The genius of that game was to constantly change up the gameplay like what Mario does, you're always given new tools and new things to do, every area changes it up.

agreed. there has been a lot of quality sp shooters games since hl2 to get excited about though

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11663 Posts

Yet I thought Half Life 2 was very boring, granted played it years after its release. Still, this was the "must play game" I missed, thrown at me for years. And when I did finally play and beat it (in two sittings) all I noticed was an easy/ story-driven game. Am I missing something?

Played Halo 3 years after its release, and really enjoyed it. Dam that game is good. Same with D00M, heck D00M was before I was born. And the level design being clever puzzles is excellent.

So has HL2 not aged well? Was never good to begin with, or do the fans think the Gravity gun is best thing ever? (the gun is pretty cool)

Adding on, I really disliked the pacing in HL2. Never felt challenging, you're an over fast tank and everything dies with ease. Is the A.I. good? I don't know because they fall like rocks (only played on normal but have heared only major change on hard is no aim-assist). I rarely switched weapons as well, that RPG destroyed any boss.

So what's the appeal? It had new ideas 10 years ago? So did Resident Evil 4 and now it's one of the most insulted titles on the internet.

Either way Overwatch and D00MIV are looking to be the real deal at the moment_

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

I agree it looks boring, but just because of all these robot enemies. Why do shooters keep doing this? The only game that's done this right is Binary Domain and if these other developers can't find ways to make shooting a robot satisfying then they should go back to grunts and elites.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

I've seen quite literally seconds of footage of this game's campaign and can with confidence tell you that I barely know shit about it. What I do know is that I haven't played a Halo since Reach, and I only touched that for an hour or two. What I remember of it is that it looked fuzzy and the framerate was trash. I recently watched some Halo 2 cutscenes and was reminded of how exquisitely...fucking boring that story was and how absolutely stupid the modulated voices were. They sound like grumpy gorillas. Which, makes sense as Brutes basically are gorillas. But that doesn't really help make things less goofy. God damn space monkeys.

But there is something at the core of Halo which I appreciate. I don't know about 343 yet, but that Halo traditionally knows how to make games that play well and feel good. I always appreciated the more expansive level design and relatively smart clusters of enemies you had to deal with. And the vehicle physics were always fantastically entertaining. So that's why I'm somewhat into the idea of returning to a Halo campaign. Also there seems to be a possibility that Master Chief might die at the end of this one, which would be great, that prospect excites me. Leaves room for a potentially interesting character to take his place. Also Nathan Fillion. If Halo could just gradually transform into Firefly, then that would be swell.

And I've frequently been just on the cusp of being into Halo MP. It has that Battlefeeld to it, but on a smaller scale. And from what I've heard, Warzone is on a bigger scale than usual. And Halo has the benefit over Battlefield that it's sci-fi space alien bullshit. The developer can basically make up whatever nonsense they want. Different, new stuff. So I'm quite interested in giving the multiplayer a shot. Especially what with Battlefront having failed to convince so far, Halo 5 + Fallout 4 seems like a decent combo this Q4.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

All quality shooters are good to me. And of what I've seen of the new Halo, which is 4 mission from the start, it's a quality shooters. But I agree, it lack of new stuff and it's not a real complete game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Not a big deal if you don't "get the hype"... nobody is going to like very game that comes out.

I'm tired of playing Halo I can't get excited about Halo games anymore mate I know you're looking forward to the game I hope it lives up to your expectations.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@sukraj said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm tired of playing Halo I can't get excited about Halo games anymore mate I know you're looking forward to the game I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Thanks mate... yeah really looking forward to it.

I'm sure you'll play it eventually but :)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#23  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

@Slannmage: I understand what you are saying and agree with you, but singling out Halo is unfair as this is an issue with the FPS genre in general. FPS are too simple and mindless these days. They cater to the lowest common denominator which are the dude bros. God forbid you actually have to think and solve a puzzle these days...

Anyway, you should check out Metro Last Light if you enjoyed HL2. There are still some high quality shooters these days, but they are few. For the record... I do like Halo and Gears of War, but acknowledge their shortcomings. I think Uncharted is an amazing series and consider Uncharted 2 one of the best games ever made.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

ya i have to agree with this. It does look boring since i've done all this before in other Halo games. And since i never plan to own an xbox one, i'll probably never play this. I have good memories of the original Halo but all the other games i have no attachment to.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

Its rather silly to say the game is boring because it does the same thing in previous game but ALL games fall into the same category. So, by that stupid justification all games are boring. It is not your job to understand or to find reasoning for others liking a game; with exception of studying games, what this is really about is "I am better than you" mentally. Leave that for the pros.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sirkibble2

@BassMan said:

@Slannmage: I understand what you are saying and agree with you, but singling out Halo is unfair as this is an issue with the FPS genre in general. FPS are too simple and mindless these days. They cater to the lowest common denominator which are the dude bros. God forbid you actually have to think and solve a puzzle these days...

No puzzles does not equate to a lower common denominator. Halo presents a skill-based challenge (on the higher difficulties) instead of a puzzle challenge. It could easily be flipped that if you can't engage in the skill-based aspect, then a game that is based in puzzles is for the lower common denominator of "skill-less" players.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

Personally, I am excited for a new Halo game, and I don't understand why so many people who don't care for it have this overwhelming need to remind everyone how much they don't like it. People like to toss around the term 'dudebro' like it actually means something, like that is supposed to indicate that the game cannot possibly be any good. I pity those people, because they lack the ability to simply enjoy games, and most likely have not actually enjoyed a game in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Well it looks boring to me too. But then, Halos 1-4 also looked boring to me, which is why I never played them. Threads like this just come across as being hater-ish, whether or not that is actually the case. It's one thing for a Halo fan to say the new Halo looks boring; it's another thing for a non-Halo fan to say the same.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#29 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 702 Posts

Halo fans are the dumbest people on planet Earth now that I've observed. Halo ruled in the campaign markets. Now, they are just short 4 hour bullcrap. Super easy. And forgetable. You never get to see everything. So minimalist. Linear as fudge.

Micro$oft just loves money.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@BassMan said:

Anyway, you should check out Metro Last Light if you enjoyed HL2. There are still some high quality shooters these days, but they are few. For the record... I do like Halo and Gears of War, but acknowledge their shortcomings. I think Uncharted is an amazing series and consider Uncharted 2 one of the best games ever made.

I'm playing Metro Last Light and it's one of the best shooters I have played I prefer it over metro 2033.