Getting into collecting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gambit10138213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gambit10138213
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I want to start collecting games but i dont really want to get the systems right away they seem alittle to expensive to get from amazon or ebay. I was wondering is it weird to just collect the games but not the system? 

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I want to start collecting games but i dont really want to get the systems right away they seem alittle to expensive to get from amazon or ebay. I was wondering is it weird to just collect the games but not the system? 

gambit10138213
No,collecting is collecting. You can collect whatever you want.
TommyBarban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TommyBarban
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

gambit10138213

I don't think it's weird. I like retro games but I'am not a big retro gamer (I enjoy it from time to time). Retro game cartridges & cd's are gems, simply nice to have and to look at IMO.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

nothing wrong with just collecting the games, its your money at the end of the day.

of course you need some way to play those games, but thats a different matter.

NexApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 NexApex
Member since 2012 • 225 Posts

It isn't weird, but video games are meant to be played. I collect consoles and games myself, but I come to realize that we only live once and with sleep taking 1/3, responsibilities 2/3 of your life; your left with 5 maybe 6 hours a day. That's not to say you'll probably have a family which you like to spend time with.

But hey, everyone has there reasons for collecting. If you want my opinion I suggest saving your money and purchasing your favorite console or the most interesting along with a couple games. Play through those, purchase a few more, rinse and repeat.

Believe me you'll be surprised after one year, depending on how much time you have on your hands, how many games you actually complete. I average around 3 games a month with about 4 or 5 hours a day and that is ONLY playing through the campaign mode. I'm sure that number would go down to 2 or even 1 if I spend significant amount of time online.

Hope this helped in what ever decision you make. Good luck!

gambit10138213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gambit10138213

Also i there a system that would play an nes snes and genesis? The only one i came up with was Retro-Bit Retro Duo Twin Video Game System NES & SNES Silver/Black not sure how it works but i might try that one out.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Also i there a system that would play an nes snes and genesis? The only one i came up with was Retro-Bit Retro Duo Twin Video Game System NES & SNES Silver/Black not sure how it works but i might try that one out.

gambit10138213
well , if youre going to get a clone system , you should be aware that the quality varies, alot of them have issues playing the games, particularly with the sound. that said, if you want a clone system , you might want to go for this instead www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-System-GENESIS-Nintendo-Entertainment/dp/B003O3EFY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1360766978&sr=1-1&keywords=retron its more expensive than the system you showed , but this one has some advantages, chief of which is the added support for Mega Drive games, and an option for s-video (I think the other one only allowed for AV, which is going to look like crap , even more so on a big HDTV)
thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

The more popular of the older systems aren't really expensive at all most are under $50. Collecting the games on the other hand is what really is the expensive part. Besides wouldn't it be more fun to play the games that you purchase rather than just to staring at them?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I think it's weird, but I wouldn't classify myself as a collector. I just don't understand the point of buying games only to stare at them on your shelf and never play them. It seems like a waste of space and money to me.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#10 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it's a bit... ecentric... to collect games for systems you don't even have. One nice thing about collecting video games is most of the best systems were at least pretty popular and so are all pretty cheap on the used market. Get yourself a PS2 for fifty bucks and start collecting PS1 and PS2 games. Or, spend thirty bucks on a GBA SP and collect GBA and regular Game Boy games. Collecting games if fun unto itself but playing them is way better.

gambit10138213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gambit10138213

I get where you are coming from no point in collecting games without the system. Besides ebay and amazon where else can i get older systems? I live on long island ny and the only place i have seen is trad n play.

gambit10138213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gambit10138213
Also can i just use an emulator instead of buying a system? Granted i dont know anything about them i just hear about people using them.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Well you could play retro games on emulaters but you won't be getting the genuine experience that's for sure. 

con_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 con_matrix
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts

I don't think it's weird at all. Sometimes I find collecting games more fun than actually playing them (obviously depending on the game). Besides, you could also pick up a console a bit later when you have the money, as long as you don't mind waiting.

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
Not if you just want to collect and never play. Anyway you can find cheap used consoles if you look around.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Someone has done that I think. Collected the greatest, noteworthy videogames. But not the game machines because he never intended to play them.