Gears Of War 2...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 0

#1 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

I just now rented GoW2. I have beaten the first one but it was years ago and I had to rent the console. This is another one of those shooters I normally don't like. You advance through a map that is a glorified hallway and extremely linear. Games like Halo and Call of Duty. Its been so long I dont know how I fealt about the first one. I meant to see if I wrote a review for it. I have to say that unlike Halo and Call of Duty I'm really digging(pun intended) GoW2. I like the weapons(except their ammo counts) and the damage reactions on the enemy. It feels like im killing stuff.

However.. I have a couple of qualms and also a couple of suggestions. Lets see what you guys think.

Ok first off how about a freaking map or just a tiny compass with an arrow on it to tell you which way to go. There are alot of intentional splits in the game but there are also other places where you have multiple direction you could head out and no idea where your suppose to go unless you watch which way the rest of the guys in Delta run.

How about decreasing the damage of weapons by half and increasing the ammo x10. I'm pretty good at doing the reloading trick thingy but having to do it so freaking often gets old don't you think?? Im sure people think it "defines" the game but really it doesnt. I don't know. I guess it adds a tactical element but it just feels wrong to me.

Collectables. Who cares if they are hard to find when a website or strat guide tells people exactly where they are at on the day of release of a game??? Just make them shiny with flashing lights so you still have to take the time to get them but not so you have to use a website or strat guide. Im sure it sounds like a great idea to keep people playing longer but really its just a pain in the ass and definately turns me away from wanting to play more.

Oh...I thought of one more bad thing as i was finishing this post up lol.I think your guy should be less susceptable to one hit kills or explosions whenever you split off from the others lol. Sometimes there is no freaking chance of the others coming to revive you lol. I just have to reload the checkpoint.

Ok those were all the complaints. Now time for the suggestions.

Lets start with squad controls. I hate games that make you fight along side AI controlled a-holes who advance ahead of you and kill everything while you are exploring and trying to breathe in the entire game. All you need is one freaking button devoted to squad control. You press this magic button and tell your moron AI team mates to be agressive or defensive and if you feel like it cover fire and blitz(rush and melee or shoot i guess). If they are on defense they will ignore all normal troops unless they are within melee range and will just stick to cover. If they see enemies that explode or can fire explosive ammo or if something big shows up they will attack it.

Killzone It!!! If your going to make these other characters be around it would be cool to take control of them throughout the game like in Killzone. Killzone for those that never played it at certain points in the game let you switch between characters(which opened up different paths for you to play through in some area's). We should be able to switch at will or get to choose at the beginning and go all the way through with or do like killzone and just be able to switch at certain points.

Army of Two it!!! Army of Two has a couple of awesome features I would like to see in GoW2. #1 is the team-mate revival method. In AoT it takes a few seconds to revive people which leaves you exposed. So they gave you the ability to drag your partner around so you could both get behind cover while you work on them. The partner being dragged got to shoot while being dragged to cover your rear! #2 AGGRO.ALOT of other games have this but its usually invisable not really taken advantage of. AoT made it a forefront mechanics. You piss off the enemy, they focus on you, they expose themselves to your partner. I just went through a part of the game in GoW2 where that exact scenario played out(cuz of the split paths) but it didnt get capatilized on because the other guys didnt do anything and just acted like normal instead of rushing in like gang busters while i had the enemydistracted.

I havent even beat GoW2 YET so maybe im getting ahead of myself. It said there was unlockables. But I doubt it will do it to the extent I want. Again this is in Army of Two and also Resident Evil. Weapon upgrades. Dude we should be able to earn skill points respect (or something besides money since that doesnt fit in to the theme of the game) that allows us to unlock the ability to use different weapons and their stats, the damage, accuracy, AMMO, aggro. We could also spend those points to buy stuff to customize how Marcus and the other look have multiple bad ass types of armor to mix and match or the colors. If you think that can't be done and still have cutscenes look at Saint's Row.

Ok thats all. I was just kind of suprised when i started this game. I didn't remember the first one being so good. I was even motivated to play on...NORMAL!!! I always play on the easiest setting.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _AbBaNdOn

Ouch... I guess I didnt have a very good experience with the first one. Here is my review for it lol. I read it again to myself and I am suprised at how pissed I was. I see some of those same points I raised in GoW2 but now im no longer pissed about them lol.Like why the hell was I mad you could blindfire like in kill.switch lol. Did the accuracy and damage reaction in GOW2 improve over the first one or was I being to harsh on the first one? I think the first one immediately pissed me off with the storyline and then my view of the game went downhill after that lol. The story in the second has been really good sorta. Besides the black dude's stupid girlfriend the story has been pretty straight forward.

elinna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 elinna
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Who want 2029's keys to fight with me?
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

I totally love Gears of War 2. The game is simply stunning graphically, there's still many moments where I get awed at it's graphical prowess. Great soundtrack and sound effects also. Everything has such tremendous impact like weapons, explosions, etc. I really liked the story and 2 really gives some hints at some cool directions it can go in. Online the game is just a total blast to play and it's my most played game right now because of that. Horde mode is a brilliant addition and insanely fun. The two map packs have been good additions and soon they'll be bringing out the "All Fronts" dlc that will have 7 more new maps plus a whole new chapter for the campaign mode. It should be awesome, definitely can't wait for that.

strider1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 strider1983
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

is it gonna be out for the pc??? i dont own a xbox..thats the only reason i havent played it yet.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _AbBaNdOn
Ok Archangel you obviously love the game what do you think of my suggestions or my complaints lol.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371

Ok Archangel you obviously love the game what do you think of my suggestions or my complaints lol. _AbBaNdOn

Well I didn't get lost or confused about which way to go myself so including a mini-map or compass wouldn't do anything for me. I liked searching for the collectibles myself so I don't really understand the problem you had with them just because you can find a list of where to find them online, almost every game you can do that with anyway. I like the active reload feature and feel there's enough ammo per clip so I really don't see a need to change it myself. I haven't played Army of Two at all so I'm not sure if Gears should borrow any features from it or not. Honestly I think it's just fine the way it is now and aside from natural progression I don't think there needs to be any big changes.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Hmm, I still have to rent this one again to finish it.

The game doesn't need a map, though. Even though it has a sense of "open-spacedness" the game is, at its core, practically a corridor shooter. Never cared for collectibles anyway, so that part gets a "meh" :P.

Elizabear88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elizabear88
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts
1) I never got lost playing Gears of War or Gears of War two. It was very straightforward with where to go, as long as you paid attention to your surroundings. Providing an arrow with where to go would overly simplify a game that is already fairly simple. 2) No, I don't think increasing the ammo amount would make the game better. Again, I think you are just looking for an easy game. It requires you to keep on your toes at all times when fighting, as opposed to just holding the trigger down and killing everything. You are supposed to have limited ammo, otherwise there would be no challenge. 3) Collectibles are supposed to be tricky to find.. as many players DON'T resort to looking online to find them. The enjoy the hunt. Just because the answers are there, doesn't mean you have to flip to the back of the book. That's like saying there is no point making tests in school difficult, as you can just look over at your neighbors paper. 4) Again, I feel like you are just looking for an easy game. I had no difficulty with one-hit kills or explosions, as I took my time and made sure to not leave myself open to such attacks. Gears of War is not just a run-and-gun kind of game. It requires patience and skill. Perhaps you should try playing on an easier difficulty?
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _AbBaNdOn
Ok Gears of War 2 is a MANDATORY MUST OWN game if you have a 360. Horde mode is freaking awesome and puts it way in front of most other shooters. Going through story mode in co-op like in halo and other games is great but just fighting endless waves is freaking insanely fun!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have GoW2 and EDF2017 you are set for life with co-op offline play!!!
Elizabear88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Elizabear88
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts
Ok Gears of War 2 is a MANDATORY MUST OWN game if you have a 360. Horde mode is freaking awesome and puts it way in front of most other shooters. Going through story mode in co-op like in halo and other games is great but just fighting endless waves is freaking insanely fun!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have GoW2 and EDF2017 you are set for life with co-op offline play!!! _AbBaNdOn
That was a quick change. ;)
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Wait until you fight the boss on the water raft and constantly get stuck in the environment and killed instantly. It took me hours to get past him. The game has serious clipping issues.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371

Wait until you fight the boss on the water raft and constantly get stuck in the environment and killed instantly. It took me hours to get past him. The game has serious clipping issues.GodModeEnabled

I don't know man that never happened to me in fact I found him quite easy to be honest and I played through all the difficulties.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _AbBaNdOn

[QUOTE="_AbBaNdOn"]Ok Gears of War 2 is a MANDATORY MUST OWN game if you have a 360. Horde mode is freaking awesome and puts it way in front of most other shooters. Going through story mode in co-op like in halo and other games is great but just fighting endless waves is freaking insanely fun!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have GoW2 and EDF2017 you are set for life with co-op offline play!!! Elizabear88
That was a quick change. ;)

All the things I had problems with and all the features I wish it had from my first post I still feel strongly about(ammo/damage was always a 50/50 issue for me). But after experiencing co-op story and horde modes the game have tons of replay value.

I dont know about clipping but when I was playing horde you know those guys who ride on the animals? At one point the animals were coming at us but minus the riders and we had not shot them off. Towards the end of the wave when people stopped coming at us we went looking for the enemy. There were 2-3 riders just floating in the air. And when i shot them they would fall through the bottom of the stage. I think some of them died due to that but one guy kept warping around the stage and we decided to use grenades to kill him. Thats the only glitch I have experienced so far.

MrsShinZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrsShinZero
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I just purchased GoW2 through gamefly after loving it too much to send it back. It's one of the most beautiful games I have ever played (thank you Sony Bravia) and one of the most fun as well. About finding where to go: it'd ruin the game for me if I were told exactly where I needed to go. You're supposed to be finding your own way through using tactics and keeping yourself alive, not strolling through like a tourist with a map or guide. It's an important part of the experience. If you do get lost, just press the left bumper, that's exactly what it's there for. I'm so good at active reloads I really don't even think about that :D But again, tactics are an important part of the game. Regarding collectibles, I only have 24/41 myself, but I enjoy looking for them. Having them be easy to find kind of defeats the purpose of the achievement and the sense of accomplishment that will come with it. Not all of us turn to the internet when we are stuck with a game. On the subject of being susceptible to one hit kills and explosions, why the heck do you want to take the realism out of the game? I agree that it's frustrating to get downed and already know you will not be revived due to where you are, but working through that and learning to make use of the cover around you or stay on the move is invaluable. Get yourself playing on hardcore. It's more fun.
EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
I own the first Gears, and I really want the 2nd game. I loved the first one.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _AbBaNdOn
Being lost doesnt have anything to do with tactics or surviving.

A found yet another reason to love the game. Training Mode. This is basically all the multiplayer modes OFFLINE with bots. So you have Co-op Story, Horde Mode, Training Mode. 3 freaking ways to enjoy the hell out of this game offline.

A couple more tiny complaints....Stages with instant death environments in them.. annoying as hell. Especially with co-op and having to get both humans through alive lol. I miss some of the basic multiplayer modes like fragfest or team fragfest. Warzone is cool but I just want to goto a map and be in a all out war where people are continuously getting killed left and right. I havrnt played all the maps but a couple have environmental hazards...you don't need maps like that...

I think in July they are going to release all the maps and additional content as a disc you can buy. GoW2: All Fronts. I wonder if you have to install it or if it will be the entire game plus all the extra content on one disc? That would be the perfect thing to buy if your late to the party like myself.

Ok im gonna stop commenting on this thread. I wish I would have got more feedback for my suggestions on how to make it better. I can't believe people havent played army of two or killzone.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Wait until you fight the boss on the water raft and constantly get stuck in the environment and killed instantly. It took me hours to get past him. The game has serious clipping issues.Archangel3371

I don't know man that never happened to me in fact I found him quite easy to be honest and I played through all the difficulties.

Yeah dude but you are ****ing good at games ok. Not just good, you are damn near pro at everything you play! Edit> and dont even try to be humble dude often times I scroll through your gamercard scores in amazement and utter bewilderment.
Avatar image for DemoniclyAnglic
DemoniclyAnglic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 DemoniclyAnglic
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

I only recently started Gears 1 but I have a few qualms about it.

I think that if you accidently swap the wrong weapon, you should be able to pick up the one that you just dropped. I don't have a friggin' lancer! I have a rocket launcher with three shots and a useless hammer of dawn. Oh, and my pistol. The game gets kinda hard like that!!! :(

Get rid of the Berserkers, they're a pain in the ass.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
I scroll through your gamercard scores in amazement and utter bewilderment.GodModeEnabled
Lol. I do that as well. We should get achievements for being friends with Archie.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _AbBaNdOn
[QUOTE="DemoniclyAnglic"]

I only recently started Gears 1 but I have a few qualms about it.

I think that if you accidently swap the wrong weapon, you should be able to pick up the one that you just dropped. I don't have a friggin' lancer! I have a rocket launcher with three shots and a useless hammer of dawn. Oh, and my pistol. The game gets kinda hard like that!!! :(

Get rid of the Berserkers, they're a pain in the ass.

In GoW2 your old weps get chucked on the ground for you to pick back up if you make a mistake. And it has all those extra modes that will just make you cream your pants. I didnt have a very good experience with GOW1 either so whatever you do force yourself to play #2 !!!!!!