GD Lounge- The Next Generation Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1101  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

So what did you guys get for Christmas? Did Santa make you a happy man or woman? :)

LuzerGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1102 LuzerGS
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@LuzerGS said:

@BranKetra said:

@LuzerGS: Start with Halo 4 and I think you will avoid any comical stuff.

Haha cool cool, so I take it Halo 3 and Reach still have odd bits of unintentional humour?

I can tolerate it I think, just not Halo 1 + 2. Heh.

I will have to play Halo: Reach before I can say much about its content. Halo 3 and Halo: Reach are both by Bungie and that developer also made Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. Halo 4 is by 343 studious and as someone who has beaten the original trilogy many times, I notice the differences. Some are subtle while other things are more distinct.

I think the humor in the numbered Halo games you consider unintentional may in fact be intentional. Much of it is.

Ahh okay lol I guess I never thought of it in that manner.

Well I bought Halo 4, Reach and ODST today because of awesome prices (Boxing Day sale and whatnot). Can't wait to play em' and I really appreciate you taking the time to write up your impressions.

Cheers!

LuzerGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1103  Edited By LuzerGS
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

@Metamania said:

So what did you guys get for Christmas? Did Santa make you a happy man or woman? :)

I'm a perpetual sad sack hehe.

I got a blu-ray of one of the best anime films ever:

Akira - 25th Anniversary Edition.

Sweet sauce right!

How 'bout you, what d'ya get?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1104 Metamania

@LuzerGS said:

@Metamania said:

I'm a perpetual sad sack hehe.

I got a blu-ray of one of the best anime films ever:

Akira - 25th Anniversary Edition.

Sweet sauce right!

How 'bout you, what d'ya get?

Nothing big, but a few gift cards from FYE. I'll be putting those to good use.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1105 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

@Metamania said:

Not in over 30 years but this is supposed to be the season of giving anyway!

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1106 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

@Metamania: I got Super Mario 3D World and some Girl Scouts brand chocolates, and that was it. I gave more gifts away than I received. Oh well, like dracula said, it's the season of giving and all that stuff.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1107  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
@Metamania said:

I got a belt, money, and something else. Also, I was given the Prima Tekken Tag Tournament 2 guide. It has been helpful because I know some new strategies and can play as Devil Jin now. I have been winning by applying the basic fundamentals which is rewarding. I actually feel like I am learning something useful.

@LuzerGS said:

Ahh okay lol I guess I never thought of it in that manner.

Well I bought Halo 4, Reach and ODST today because of awesome prices (Boxing Day sale and whatnot). Can't wait to play em' and I really appreciate you taking the time to write up your impressions.

Cheers!

Sure. Thank you for your appreciation of them. I actually often post them here because people like to converse about them along with their own.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#1108 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Randolph said:

I'm just kind of lurking the last week or two. Granted the new job has taken an obscene amount of time away from me, but it's not just that. I still have time to post, but now a days I'm seeing less and less of other regulars, and more spam, some of it stayed up so long the other day that it simply fell off the front page of Games Discussion, no one even bothered trying to moderate it, and the same is happening at times in the console specific forums. (it just doesn't get noticed there because those forums are dead in the water, outside the Nintendo forum, anyway) It's just so discouraging, so most days I still visit, see all this, and just navigate away.

The state of this place as a whole, not just this forum, is just so discouraging right now.

Know how you feel. Haven't felt compelled to drop by here in recent weeks. I mean, yeah, work has definitely stolen a bunch of time away from me (got so much on my plate that I ended up working through a good part of Christmas day), but even then... it's just hard to motivate myself to drop by here. I don't know if it's just because the forums are traditionally slow this time of year or what, but the place has definitely lost its luster.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1109  Edited By 1PMrFister

@c_rakestraw said:
@Randolph said:

I'm just kind of lurking the last week or two. Granted the new job has taken an obscene amount of time away from me, but it's not just that. I still have time to post, but now a days I'm seeing less and less of other regulars, and more spam, some of it stayed up so long the other day that it simply fell off the front page of Games Discussion, no one even bothered trying to moderate it, and the same is happening at times in the console specific forums. (it just doesn't get noticed there because those forums are dead in the water, outside the Nintendo forum, anyway) It's just so discouraging, so most days I still visit, see all this, and just navigate away.

The state of this place as a whole, not just this forum, is just so discouraging right now.

Know how you feel. Haven't felt compelled to drop by here in recent weeks. I mean, yeah, work has definitely stolen a bunch of time away from me (got so much on my plate that I ended up working through a good part of Christmas day), but even then... it's just hard to motivate myself to drop by here. I don't know if it's just because the forums are traditionally slow this time of year or what, but the place has definitely lost its luster.

Yeah, this place is really in the throes of death. The signs are everywhere, and experience has taught me that there isn't much that can be done when a forum reaches this point. It's always sad to see a community slowly fade away, but that's life.

...So, anyone have any good ideas of other gaming forums to frequent (NeoGAF aside).

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1110  Edited By branketra

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1111 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Metamania said:

i got socks, two sweaters and a jacket

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1112 Dracula68

@c_rakestraw said:
@Randolph said:

Another reason why I just stay in this thread......

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1113 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

Heh, my parents got me Pikmin 3 for the Wii U for Christmas. Only problem is, I don't have a Wii U. Aren't parents awesome? :P

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1114 1PMrFister

Got some free Steam games as gifts from my friends for my birthday. Spelunky, To The Moon, and Papo & Yo, all games I've heard decent things about. Definitely wasn't expecting this. I got more games on Steam this year than I ever thought I would own. Maybe I should reconsider ponying up for a gaming PC...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1115 The_Last_Ride

i have been working full time for the last two weeks aswell since university is done, i totally agree

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1116 branketra

@Yagr_Zero said:

Heh, my parents got me Pikmin 3 for the Wii U for Christmas. Only problem is, I don't have a Wii U. Aren't parents awesome? :P

That must be their way of suggesting you get one.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1117 yagr_zero

@BranKetra said:

@Yagr_Zero said:

That could be it. Sadly I'm going to have to wait to some time before I can get one.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1118 1PMrFister

Ugh, f*ck ZombiU's ending sequence. I want to punch the designer who thought it would be a good idea to disable the save file if you screw up and force you to restart the entire game to try for the best ending again. This is a 6-10 hour game, not a 30-minute arcade title. The best ending is barely any different from the bad one anyway, so why bother? Pure bullshit.

Just needed to vent that real quick.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1119  Edited By branketra

@Yagr_Zero said:

@BranKetra said:

@Yagr_Zero said:

That could be it. Sadly I'm going to have to wait to some time before I can get one.

At least you have a game for that video game console already, so in the future you may buy a Wii U and save about $60 that you might have used to buy that also.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1120  Edited By The_Last_Ride

So how has your year in gaming been?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1121 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I had a long post about recent exploits and the wonder of finally finding the mute the sub-human XBL asshats option on my Xbox One, thought about the responses I would likely receive, and just navigated away.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1122 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

I had a long post about recent exploits and the wonder of finally finding the mute the sub-human XBL asshats option on my Xbox One, thought about the responses I would likely receive, and just navigated away.

You got the X1? What games you have for it?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1123  Edited By Randolph

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

I got it on Day One. Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, AC4: BF, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, NFS Rivals, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, and Killer Instinct. (which sits at around 96% of my total play time still)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1124 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

I got it on Day One. Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, AC4: BF, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, NFS Rivals, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, and Killer Instinct. (which sits at around 96% of my total play time still)

Holy crap, well we will be lucky if we get X1 next year

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#1125 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

I am officially done with The Last of Us just before we roll into 2014. That game was good and stressful. I had so much trouble doing things in a stealth type of way like the game initially tried to convince me was possible. But that was mostly due to the fact that i got lost very easily in some areas. I also hate to spoil the story for anybody, but i have to say **** Joel.

Gotta start on Ni No Kuni next

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1126  Edited By branketra

Today, I went by my local GameStop and found it closed, its sign removed, and its contents emptied. I have not been there since a couple weeks after Black Friday and it was there before I first moved to this city, so it was surprising to see it gone.

There are two other GameSpots within three miles, but I visited there often over the years. I understand my fondness of that store (and it being GameStop of all places) might be idiosyncratic.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1127 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tearaway is amazing. That is all.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1128 The_Last_Ride

@chicknfeet said:

I am officially done with The Last of Us just before we roll into 2014. That game was good and stressful. I had so much trouble doing things in a stealth type of way like the game initially tried to convince me was possible. But that was mostly due to the fact that i got lost very easily in some areas. I also hate to spoil the story for anybody, but i have to say **** Joel.

Ni No Kuni is amazing

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1129  Edited By Dracula68

@The_Last_Ride said:

@chicknfeet said:

Ni No Kuni is amazing

It will keep you busy a long time with everything you can do. I loved my time with it last Jan!

Edit: Apparently according to users you played the best game last year. I voted Ni No Kuni out of those. Easy pick.

Check the worst one? The game we have put a ton of hours into already...lol

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1130 Metamania

I think I'll be picking up the Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle very soon.

I took the time to clean it up with a duster that I picked up for electronics. I was hoping to just clean it all out and then see what happens and no luck. it died on me again. I'm saying goodbye to that one very quick.

On another note, at least I'll get Tomb Raider and Halo 4 with the bundle, along with a new system, so it's not a total loss. But does anyone know of a good place that has great warranty, so that in case the new system messes up on me again, I can just get something done under it?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1131  Edited By Randolph

I took back a handful of Xbone titles, cashed in on a promotion to get a new game for nine bucks and got Mario 3D World. The Xbox One multi game branching out experiment was a big failure, and a massive waste of money.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1132  Edited By branketra

@Metamania said:

I took the time to clean it up with a duster that I picked up for electronics. I was hoping to just clean it all out and then see what happens and no luck. it died on me again. I'm saying goodbye to that one very quick.

On another note, at least I'll get Tomb Raider and Halo 4 with the bundle, along with a new system, so it's not a total loss. But does anyone know of a good place that has great warranty, so that in case the new system messes up on me again, I can just get something done under it?

I purchased my Xbox 360 bundle (that one you plan on buying) from Best Buy. You can get a Geek Squad warranty for it that will last years. They should take care of repairs and replacements otherwise you will have to deal with Microsoft's limited warranty.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1133 Metamania

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

I purchased my Xbox 360 bundle (that one you plan on buying) from Best Buy. You can get a Geek Squad warranty for it that will last years. They should take care of repairs and replacements otherwise you will have to deal with Microsoft's limited warranty.

Except that Best Buy's warranty is a bit expensive, about $60.00 or so. Plus, it may be difficult to travel there, due to the harsh winter right now.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1134  Edited By garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@Randolph:

What did you get rid of?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1135  Edited By Randolph

@Garfield360UK: Battlefield 4, Forza 5, Ryse, and NFS: Rivals.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#1136 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

It's so cold in Toronto. So damn cold. I hate you cold. I hate you winter. It's warmer in my office but I'm still damn cold. -20C, feels like -29C right now.

pls help.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1137 Dracula68

@haziqonfire said:

It's so cold in Toronto. So damn cold. I hate you cold. I hate you winter. It's warmer in my office but I'm still damn cold. -20C, feels like -29C right now.

pls help.

I am pretty close. -10C and feels like -20C but I am a fan of cold weather and snow.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1138  Edited By 1PMrFister

@Dracula68: I may not be Canadian, but I'll be freezing along with you guys come Monday. It's supposed to be 3F (-16C) on that day, and we'll have snow hitting the day before. No way am I leaving the house that day.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1139 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Wow. I saw those temperature readings the other day. During a newscast the other day, I noticed there was a display showing a difference of over 120 degrees between the lowest and highest temps in the US. I happen to live in S. Florida, soo.... yeah. It's 68F outside right now. Stay safe up there.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1140 chicknfeet

@Dracula68 said:

@haziqonfire said:

pls help.

I am pretty close. -10C and feels like -20C but I am a fan of cold weather and snow.

I'm not too far off from you. It's gonna get down to -5C tomorrow night which is going to feel great come 6am Sunday morning...>_>

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1141  Edited By Dracula68

@chicknfeet said:

@Dracula68 said:

@haziqonfire said:

pls help.

I'm not too far off from you. It's gonna get down to -5C tomorrow night which is going to feel great come 6am Sunday morning...>_>

You're gonna be that cold Sunday? We are warming up for Sun and Mon then back to my reality come Tuesday morning. I decided against a leg Tat that day because there is no way in hell I am wearing shorts when it will be below zero with the wind chill during the day.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1142 branketra

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

Except that Best Buy's warranty is a bit expensive, about $60.00 or so. Plus, it may be difficult to travel there, due to the harsh winter right now.

In that case, there might be a business dedicated completely to fixing Xbox 360s (or it would be advertised as such). I have seen commercials for them throughout my years in the area I currently live at. Now that the eighth generation of video game consoles is available, they might be closing or renovating for newer consoles. They may be worth looking for.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1143  Edited By Randolph

@gpuFX16 said:

Wow. I saw those temperature readings the other day. During a newscast the other day, I noticed there was a display showing a difference of over 120 degrees between the lowest and highest temps in the US. I happen to live in S. Florida, soo.... yeah. It's 68F outside right now. Stay safe up there.

For people in Florida, that's jacket weather. :) I lived in Jacksonville for two years in my childhood, found it bizarre that people would be wearing thick jackets in 60F temps. I live in southwest Georgia, and they consider this area to practically be Canada this time of the year.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1144 Randolph

Seems like my mental block that kept me from posting has been lifted. Getting rid of the Xbox One and not trying to play a fighting game has me much more optimistic and interested about my hobby. (seriously, I will never buy another fighter in my life, I've been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole) Two free games with Plus in Contrast and Resogun, and the excellent Mario 3D World in my Wii U. I'm in a good zone right now.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1145  Edited By gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

@Randolph said:

Seems like my mental block that kept me from posting has been lifted. Getting rid of the Xbox One and not trying to play a fighting game has me much more optimistic and interested about my hobby. (seriously, I will never buy another fighter in my life, I've been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole) Two free games with Plus in Contrast and Resogun, and the excellent Mario 3D World in my Wii U. I'm in a good zone right now.

After I played Street Fighter IV and the experience of those overly hostile online guys plus the skill barrier, I pretty much gave up fighters. You get to that point where you say to yourself "I'm playing a game, shouldn't I be having fun, or enjoying myself to some extent?" Not saying they're completely not enjoyable, because they are, but they're for a different audience that does not include me.

I found myself enjoying playing again so much more after I just quit online entirely and stuck to my single-player stuff. Most recently, I had some time with Rayman Legends over the holiday break and I had just an absolute blast. Fantastic stuff.

...And yes, people down here will start grabbing coats at anything below 70F, which is kinda silly, but then during the summer, I still see folks walking around in hooded jackets- black ones at times- in 90+ degree weather. Go figure.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1146  Edited By Dracula68

@1PMrFister said:

@Dracula68: I may not be Canadian, but I'll be freezing along with you guys come Monday. It's supposed to be 3F (-16C) on that day, and we'll have snow hitting the day before. No way am I leaving the house that day.

I saw this post last night and it was blank...lol All I saw was the @ my name...lol I'm not in Canada, I'm in NY and chicknfeet is in Georgia which I keep forgetting and thinking Florida.

I had no TV yesterday. Not the end of the world but when you wanna watch the news/weather it gets rather annoying. Hoping cable guy will come today but seeing as we had a foot or more of snow yesterday methinks he will not come till Monday.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1147 Randolph

@chicknfeet: Oh that's interesting, Drac. What part of Georgia are you in chickn? I'm in the southwest corner, Albany, to be precise.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1148 yagr_zero

@Dracula68 said:

@1PMrFister said:

I saw this post last night and it was blank...lol All I saw was the @ my name...lol I'm not in Canada, I'm in NY and chicknfeet is in Georgia which I keep forgetting and thinking Florida.

I had no TV yesterday. Not the end of the world but when you wanna watch the news/weather it gets rather annoying. Hoping cable guy will come today but seeing as we had a foot or more of snow yesterday methinks he will not come till Monday.

You're getting snow dumped on you and it's in the 50s where I am. >_>

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1149 chicknfeet

@Randolph said:

@chicknfeet: Oh that's interesting, Drac. What part of Georgia are you in chickn? I'm in the southwest corner, Albany, to be precise.

I'm in the northish east in Savannah

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1150 Metamania

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

In that case, there might be a business dedicated completely to fixing Xbox 360s (or it would be advertised as such). I have seen commercials for them throughout my years in the area I currently live at. Now that the eighth generation of video game consoles is available, they might be closing or renovating for newer consoles. They may be worth looking for.

Actually, I decided to go to my Target, the same Target that I work for, and buy my system there, which is what I did yesterday afternoon. I also bought the warranty plan they had, which was nearly 290, but by knocking it down with my discounts (red card, team member discount), I knocked it down to $250. :)