GD Lounge- The Next Generation Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1051 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@BranKetra: If anything should have caused everyone to stop taking Gamespot reviews of multi-platfoirm games seriously, it's the fact that the PS3 version of Skyrim received the same 9.0 score as the Xbox 360 and PC versions. That port was a disaster-bacle.

#1052 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@BranKetra: If anything should have caused everyone to stop taking Gamespot reviews of multi-platfoirm games seriously, it's the fact that the PS3 version of Skyrim received the same 9.0 score as the Xbox 360 and PC versions. That port was a disaster-bacle.

I think the most infamous thing about GameSpot reviews is Gertsmann-Gate.

#1053 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

I wonder if buying a brand new Xbox 360 will solve the dilemma that I'm currently having with the overheat or if it continues to happen on a new system in a matter of minutes? I don't know anymore.

#1054 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@Metamania said:

I wonder if buying a brand new Xbox 360 will solve the dilemma that I'm currently having with the overheat or if it continues to happen on a new system in a matter of minutes? I don't know anymore.

I bought a 250 GBfor $199.99 at Best Buy tonight. The current models should not have the same overheating issues the original one did.

Here is my proof of purchase:

#1055 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

How is everyone today?

#1056 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

I bought a 250 GBfor $199.99 at Best Buy tonight. The current models should not have the same overheating issues the original one did.

Is that the new model that's based on the Xbox One model?

#1057 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Yes it is, for some reason it's not cheapers than the others...

#1058 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

*PIC*

Yes. It is similar to the Xbox One aesthetically, but otherwise it is Xbox 360 hardware. If you are interested in getting that model, the cnet review for it might be worth reading.

The following is an excerpt from that review:

Microsoft debuted the E console saying it would run quieter and cooler. During my few weeks with it I did notice those two things to be true, but nowhere near the dramatic improvement going from a "classic" white 360 (the 2005 version) to the 360 S (2010 version). If temperature and noise are your two biggest reasons for seeking an upgrade, allow me to talk you out of it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-e/4505-10109_7-35789091.html

If you are looking for a replacement 360, this might be a decent purchase. Halo 4 has a note on the front of the box stating it is not meant to be sold as an individual purchase. I might print box art to replace it because it is not visually appealing like I prefer my games cases to be and Tomb Raider is a digital download. The console itself makes some noise. It is a little bit louder than my 120 GB Slim PS3 which is not bad. I have them running side by side right now.

#1059 Posted by Dracula68 (33109 posts) -

Back to the grind....joy!

#1060 Posted by MethodManFTW (26514 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@BranKetra: If anything should have caused everyone to stop taking Gamespot reviews of multi-platform games seriously, it's the fact that the PS3 version of Skyrim received the same 9.0 score as the Xbox 360 and PC versions. That port was a disaster-bacle.

I certainly didn't think the PS3 version was a disaster.

I beat it at launch (aka before all the patches) on PS3 and it played just fine. Framerate was usually right around 30.

Sure it is performing ten fold better on my PC but it played just fine on PS3.

#1061 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

#1062 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

*PIC*

Yes. It is similar to the Xbox One aesthetically, but otherwise it is Xbox 360 hardware. If you are interested in getting that model, the cnet review for it might be worth reading.

Microsoft debuted the E console saying it would run quieter and cooler. During my few weeks with it I did notice those two things to be true, but nowhere near the dramatic improvement going from a "classic" white 360 (the 2005 version) to the 360 S (2010 version). If temperature and noise are your two biggest reasons for seeking an upgrade, allow me to talk you out of it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-e/4505-10109_7-35789091.html

If you are looking for a replacement 360, this might be a decent purchase. Halo 4 has a note on the front of the box stating it is not meant to be sold as an individual purchase. I might print box art to replace it because it is not visually appealing like I prefer my games cases to be and Tomb Raider is a digital download. The console itself makes some noise. It is a little bit louder than my 120 GB Slim PS3 which is not bad. I have them running side by side right now.

And yet, you bought it, so I'll have to wait and see if yours breaks down due to overheating. Let me know.

#1063 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

So I'm guessing everybody is out doing their Christmas shopping. It is extra quiet in here.

#1064 Posted by Sidburn19 (4704 posts) -

@chicknfeet:

#1065 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@chicknfeet: Its also finals week for some of us, so we don't have as much time to dedicate to posting.

#1066 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

@BranKetra said:

@Metamania said:

*PIC*

And yet, you bought it, so I'll have to wait and see if yours breaks down due to overheating. Let me know.

One of the reasons I acquired one recently is I have not had a working Xbox 360 for at least a few years. I had one of the original version versions of the 360 which had multiple issues, so getting this was worthwhile as long as it works adequately. I will inform you of any overheating issues.

#1067 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

man, 3 exams done, one left... 3 exams in one week is inhumane :(

#1068 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@1PMrFister: Ah! Figured most schools would be out the week before Christmas and give about 2-3 weeks break

#1069 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@chicknfeet: Nope. Some of us are still going until this Friday. Thankfully, I have a whole month off after today.

Also, I would imagine the latest round of posting bugs are keeping some people from posting as much as they want. Glitchspot strikes again.

#1070 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@1PMrFister: That's true. I had to take a break from the site for a bit so they could work out the latest post bug. Haven't seen too many people complain about it since signing back on today.

So if the students are still doing finals, where are the old farts at?

#1071 Edited by Metamania (12031 posts) -

Well, this old fart has been staying in Target for far too much time, trying to get a lot of hours in before they get cut after the Christmas season is over. I was sick on Friday and Saturday and couldn't go into work as much as I would want to. In fact, I tried going into work on Saturday and toughening it out, but that only lasted for an hour and fifteen minutes. I was sent home afterwards, but was reassured that they appreciate the fact that I came in to work, even if I was very sick.

#1072 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Metamania said:

Well, this old fart has been staying in Target for far too much time, trying to get a lot of hours in before they get cut after the Christmas season is over. I was sick on Friday and Saturday and couldn't go into work as much as I would want to. In fact, I tried going into work on Saturday and toughening it out, but that only lasted for an hour and fifteen minutes. I was sent home afterwards, but was reassured that they appreciate the fact that I came in to work, even if I was very sick.

yeah i usually go to work when i am not a 100% aswell. I have a girl at work that is going early from work a couple of hours or is sick half of the time even though most of it is bs. She even faked a pregnancy, which was horrendous in my book just to skip work

#1073 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

yeah i usually go to work when i am not a 100% aswell. I have a girl at work that is going early from work a couple of hours or is sick half of the time even though most of it is bs. She even faked a pregnancy, which was horrendous in my book just to skip work

I'm sorry to hear that. That's fake and that's BS. Me, on the other hand, no way I could fake it. I was literally blowing my nose every few minutes due to the running nose, was coughing a lot, and had a pounding headache in the end. The bosses knew that was legit and told me to go home (not in a bad way, of course). I would never call out of work unless it was an emergency or I was really that sick and it was definitely the latter man. Definitely the latter!

#1074 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

I'm sorry to hear that. That's fake and that's BS. Me, on the other hand, no way I could fake it. I was literally blowing my nose every few minutes due to the running nose, was coughing a lot, and had a pounding headache in the end. The bosses knew that was legit and told me to go home (not in a bad way, of course). I would never call out of work unless it was an emergency or I was really that sick and it was definitely the latter man. Definitely the latter!

Yeah i have only been sick one time the last two years when i had the flu and i was literally crawling around on the floor at home puking and not being able to even leave the apartment. But yeah, i try to go to work when i can

#1075 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@Metamania@The_Last_Ride I was always taught to at least try. Even if i wasn't feeling well enough to go in to work/school, people appreciate you putting forth the effort to tough it out. It would usually have to be an extreme situation for me to call out or not show up.

#1076 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@chicknfeet said:

@Metamania@The_Last_Ride I was always taught to at least try. Even if i wasn't feeling well enough to go in to work/school, people appreciate you putting forth the effort to tough it out. It would usually have to be an extreme situation for me to call out or not show up.

i have been in situations where i had a fever and went to work, even though it's not that wise, but i did. But if i can't get out of bed i don't even try

#1077 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Huh. I just called out of work yesterday- not something I normally do. But when I start throwing up, usually that's my signal to stay home. Not to mention the fever I was running. I do try to show up for work though- had Wednesday been a longer shift, I would have made an attempt, but I was only supposed to be there for a half-day so I phoned it in. Only in severe conditions do I not show up. If I need a day, I'll ask for it in advance.

What really sucks is I still had to take an exam this week while feeling like a sack of crap, and it's not the first time- I have this pseudo-curse of getting sick on exam days. Halfway through my college entrance exam, my stomach started to churn and I had to tough out the final 2 hours of the test. When the exam was over, I bolted to the nearest restroom. Wonderful experience, that.

#1078 Edited by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@gpuFX16:

Yeah, usually if you're vomiting chunks of stuff, that's your sign to stay home

#1079 Edited by yagr_zero (27850 posts) -

So many sales going on at once!

#1080 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Yagr_Zero: And Steam doesn't wanna boot up on my computer for some reason. Just my luck.

Oh well, at least I'm done with finals and am home for the next month. I've been looking forward to this since about September.

#1081 Edited by Metamania (12031 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@chicknfeet said:

i have been in situations where i had a fever and went to work, even though it's not that wise, but i did. But if i can't get out of bed i don't even try

And again, my bosses totally appreciated the fact that, despite being very sick, I came into work and tried my best. So I think that's a good thing in their eyes.

#1082 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@Yagr_Zero said:

So many sales going on at once!

So is it pretty much a free for all on Steam

#1083 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

This is a rant, fairly warned ye be.

So sick of hearing about Phil Robertson. It was a publicity stunt. You think it's a coincidence his interview where he made these homophobic ignorant comments came out right before Christmas? Bullshit. This was a calculated publicity stunt by a very smart rich businessman. Not some humble southern pastor/duck hunter just speaking his mind. Millions of so called Christians are going out in droves right now buying Duck Dynasty merchandise, making a very rich man even richer, and the inevitable massive boost in ratings will also get him back on the show as well.

I really wish Christians would at least TRY to act like Jesus Christ one of these days. That's the sad thing about Christianity in the USA, no one has tried it yet.

Let me quote Jesus on homosexuality.

"…."

Now Jesus on rich men like Robertson.

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

(Pun intended here) For Christ's sake, people, stop supporting these rich spoiled yuppies, they are manufactured products. Look at pictures of these people before the show, sitting on yachts sipping drinks, golfing, relaxing and enjoying life. You put them on TV though and it's long beards, long hair, (something else condemned by the bible Phil, might want to get a haircut) hard boiled rough and tough redneck men of the woods.

What a load of bullshit. The Bible also forbids eating shellfish and wearing mixed fiber clothing in the very same book it condemns homosexuality (and commands homosexuals to be violently stoned to death), why not be as concerned with that as what it says on homosexuality, Phil?

I am so sick of this horse shit, and I am so sick of seeing my own family be manipulated by their religious beliefs into constantly making the rich richer at their own direct expense. They even let these guys manipulate them into voting Republican, against their own economic best interests because the GOP is the "Christian" party. Explain to me how the GOP platform of cutting the social safety net for the most vulnerable among us to afford tax cuts for the wealthy jives with Jesus, who in the bible told a rich man who wanted to follow him to go home and sell all his belongings and give the money to the poor. Seriously, can anyone do that?

Ok, rant over. I feel better.

#1084 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Randolph: I don't know if I agree with the "It's a conspiracy to line a producer's pockets" theory, but I do agree that the merchandising for Duck Dynasty is getting out of control. It's like you can't go anywhere in a Wal-Mart anymore without tripping over something related to the show. I don't even dislike the show or anything, but if you ask me, it's time to dial back on the merchandising when you start producing Duck Dynasty chia pets.

#1085 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

@Randolph: That's all I've been reading about on my Facebook. My two cents is simply this; the guy had a right to say what he said, but should have kept his mouth shut or should have chosen his words a lot more carefully, because some of the remarks that he said was offensive to me, since it felt discriminatory and racist to me. But he does have the right to Free Speech, whether we like it or not, so that's all I'm going to say on the matter in itself.

#1086 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@Randolph: That's all I've been reading about on my Facebook. My two cents is simply this; the guy had a right to say what he said, but should have kept his mouth shut or should have chosen his words a lot more carefully, because some of the remarks that he said was offensive to me, since it felt discriminatory and racist to me. But he does have the right to Free Speech, whether we like it or not, so that's all I'm going to say on the matter in itself.

I respect the right for people to say what they want, but I do not understand the outrage at the idea of consequences for speech. People think the right to an opinion is the right to be right and all opinions are equally valid. They are wrong. People think any critique that highlights how stupid and outdated the things they believe are is an "oppression" of their free speech, they are also wrong. I just do not understand how people cannot understand such simple principles. Why are so many people so goddamned stupid?

#1087 Edited by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

Hope everybody here is done with all of their holiday shopping.

#1088 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@chicknfeet: Just got done with mine today. I went Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve a couple times. Never again.

#1089 Posted by stevenstephen (25 posts) -

Hurrah...!!! All right i think also......

#1090 Edited by Metamania (12031 posts) -

@chicknfeet said:

I don't have to worry about it at all. My family don't want Christmas presents, so I'm off the hook. :P

#1091 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@chicknfeet said:

I am. I hope the recipients of my presents like what they get.

#1092 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Earlier tonight, my Xbox 360 froze so I had to manually push the power button to turn it off. My 360 has been working since then. After that, I started Halo 4 on Heroic difficulty. I am stopping for now. That is a fun game. It is distinctively Halo, yet seems to be designed as a more realistic video game than the previous main Halo entries with elements of drama. Another thing I notice is the different music. I can describe what I have heard from the menu to about twenty minutes into the Requiem part of the campaign as soft, light, and otherwise short which is apparent after playing the original Halo trilogy.

#1093 Edited by LuzerGS (33 posts) -

Ya make me wanna play Halo.

I never really got into the whole 'Halo' thing, despite the fact that I have all the Halo games except reach and #4.

I thought I'd give it a chance and the 'OCD chronological order dude' in me won over and I started right from the beginning with Halo: Combat evolved - 11 years after its release.

Big Mistake!...

Not a single part of me could take that game seriously; I understand that It was quite the feat in terms of console shooter and graphical fidelity for the Xbox back in its day, but man, i just reckon it did not age well. I could overcome a lot of its outdated stuff but I just couldn't - neigh - I REFUSED to take the kiddie squeak-toy sounding aliens seriously. Those aliens totally killed it for me; what I had hoped to be a memorable introductory foray into the world of Halo, ended up being 7 hours of frustration at unintentionally comedic moments I experienced within the game.

Admittedly, the above experience did sully my interest in further exploring the famed franchise. However, being the holiday season, and with the release of Destiny in sight, I'm wanting to give Halo a second chance.

So my question is this: Having never quite completed 'Combat Evolved' and also having no intention of playing the direct sequel, will I still be able to fully enjoy the franchise if I start again, this time beginning at Halo 3? Also, are the squeaky-toy sounding aliens still, well, squeaky-toy sounding aliens?

I also want to skip Halo: Wars (even though I have it - it came free with my X360), I understand it's a spin-off but if I pass on it, will I be missing important lore and narrative? I do, most definitely plan on playing Halo: Reach and Halo 4.

Well, Halo fans I'd appreciate some advise.

Thanks and peace it!

#1094 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

bought Persona 4 Golden, i have been absorbed by that game the last few hours

#1095 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Well, I know I'm getting Super Mario 3D World for Christmas tomorrow. Excited to give that a try.

Happy holidays, everyone. Take tomorrow to be with your loved ones and try to remember that even with all the stuff you'll be getting, sometimes it's the littlest things that can make you the happiest.

#1096 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@LuzerGS: Start with Halo 4 and I think you will avoid any comical stuff.

#1097 Edited by LuzerGS (33 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

Haha cool cool, so I take it Halo 3 and Reach still have odd bits of unintentional humour?

I can tolerate it I think, just not Halo 1 + 2. Heh.

#1098 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

I'm just kind of lurking the last week or two. Granted the new job has taken an obscene amount of time away from me, but it's not just that. I still have time to post, but now a days I'm seeing less and less of other regulars, and more spam, some of it stayed up so long the other day that it simply fell off the front page of Games Discussion, no one even bothered trying to moderate it, and the same is happening at times in the console specific forums. (it just doesn't get noticed there because those forums are dead in the water, outside the Nintendo forum, anyway) It's just so discouraging, so most days I still visit, see all this, and just navigate away.

The state of this place as a whole, not just this forum, is just so discouraging right now.

#1099 Edited by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@1PMrFister said:

Happy holidays, everyone. Take tomorrow to be with your loved ones and try to remember that even with all the stuff you'll be getting, sometimes it's the littlest things that can make you the happiest.

Happy holidays indeed. I'll be with my loved ones later tonight. Gotta do some (non) work today and get home this evening to do some unwrapping of presents. I honestly wish my parents didn't get presents. I would have been satisfied just having them here visiting me for the holidays.

#1100 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@LuzerGS said:

@BranKetra said:

Haha cool cool, so I take it Halo 3 and Reach still have odd bits of unintentional humour?

I can tolerate it I think, just not Halo 1 + 2. Heh.

I will have to play Halo: Reach before I can say much about its content. Halo 3 and Halo: Reach are both by Bungie and that developer also made Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. Halo 4 is by 343 studious and as someone who has beaten the original trilogy many times, I notice the differences. Some are subtle while other things are more distinct.

I think the humor in the numbered Halo games you consider unintentional may in fact be intentional. Much of it is.