GD Lounge- The Next Generation Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#651  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Randolph said:

Every day I wake up, about a quarter of the front page is spam, and it takes hours for them to be dealt with. Seriously, guys, you need to go back to the mod forum and have a serious conversation with whoever the current forums admin is, (the fact that a lot of us don't even know who that might be says a lot in and of itself) because this is killing the forums. Why bother posting when your post gets buried after just a few hours by spam posts pushing it down the page? When you log on and see a dozen or so of those damned things, it just makes you want to not even bother and just go find somewhere else to be.

If moderators are not active in the community, remove their status and replace them, prioritizing getting a good spread across timezones. It's starting to feel like GS staff has simply decided to abandon it's own forums and ignore the problem. It's not like they are hard to detect either, I can usually tell from the thread title, or user name. I know it's the holidays and it's a busy work time, Christ, I manage a grocery store... believe me, I know. But if I had a dozen people coming into my store every morning at opening and taking a shit on my floors, I wouldn't ignore it because I'm so busy with other things.

The forums are important, I'd like to see them treated as such. I give the GS staff hell about this because I really want them to actually show up and prove me wrong, that is, if they can tear themselves away from posting at Neogaf long enough to even bother.

i don't understand why the bold statement isn't already in set in and is a standard

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#652 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Anybody into 5FDP? I'm excited. Week from tomorrow The Wrong Side of Heaven, The Righteous Side of Hell Vol 2 drops. So spoiled. 2 new albums in the span 4 months! Here's the first video "Battle Born".

Loading Video...

Anybody got any tips on beating the Archdemon in DA: Origins? I keep getting my ass handed to me and I even gave in and decided to lower the difficulty to easy but same result. Not sure what "easy" is supposed to mean in this game but enemies are not a lot easier to kill than normal mode.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#653 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Randolph said:

Every day I wake up, about a quarter of the front page is spam, and it takes hours for them to be dealt with. Seriously, guys, you need to go back to the mod forum and have a serious conversation with whoever the current forums admin is, (the fact that a lot of us don't even know who that might be says a lot in and of itself) because this is killing the forums. Why bother posting when your post gets buried after just a few hours by spam posts pushing it down the page? When you log on and see a dozen or so of those damned things, it just makes you want to not even bother and just go find somewhere else to be.

If moderators are not active in the community, remove their status and replace them, prioritizing getting a good spread across timezones. It's starting to feel like GS staff has simply decided to abandon it's own forums and ignore the problem. It's not like they are hard to detect either, I can usually tell from the thread title, or user name. I know it's the holidays and it's a busy work time, Christ, I manage a grocery store... believe me, I know. But if I had a dozen people coming into my store every morning at opening and taking a shit on my floors, I wouldn't ignore it because I'm so busy with other things.

The forums are important, I'd like to see them treated as such. I give the GS staff hell about this because I really want them to actually show up and prove me wrong, that is, if they can tear themselves away from posting at Neogaf long enough to even bother.

I agree with this, its crazy how insanely bad it has become lately and we are not just talking on this forum, its pretty much across the board.

Its almost like everyone has abandoned Gamespot and have decided to move away to greener pastures.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#654  Edited By chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

@Dracula68: You screwed yourself dude. You went too generic with your build and now you are pretty sucky at everything. You don't have any of your reserve characters you can call in? What is Sten doing? He should be pretty solid if you focused on his strength and constitution.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#655 Dracula68

@chicknfeet said:

@Dracula68: You screwed yourself dude. You went too generic with your build and now you are pretty sucky at everything. You don't have any of your reserve characters you can call in? What is Sten doing? He should be pretty solid if you focused on his strength and constitution.

Well guess what dumbass me never realized? That I could use armies to help me lol The battle went from what felt impossible to me just pounding away on archdemon while the armies kept the darkspawn at bay. I beat the game and about 3 or 4 DLC. Got more DLC to go still!

PS--I fell it is ridiculous I get spanked because I didn't "follow" a warrior build to the letter. I made a hybrid Warrior/Rogue.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#657 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I don't have any problems with the forums. People just like to QQ. If you post a good thread that people are interested in it won't get buried.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#658  Edited By Jacanuk

@MethodManFTW said:

I don't have any problems with the forums. People just like to QQ. If you post a good thread that people are interested in it won't get buried.

Well, people need to see the thread before they can keep it up and if you are unlucky enough you can hit the time where there are 20 different spambots posting , so noone gets to see it before its back on page 3.

But it doesnt matter, in the end those bots should have been removed fast and not get to hang there for half a day until the mods come online.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#659 chicknfeet

@Dracula68: Oh that's right. You have armies to back you up if necessary. I guess that is for people who do lame character builds :p

Any REAL DA:O player can take down the archdemon single handed

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#660 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I hope I can get the games I would like this week.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#661 chicknfeet

Apparently I've beaten Arkham City. It was short. I think if i had the time, i could have beaten it in a day. Not sure if all the side stuff is worth doing or not :-\

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#662 MethodManFTW

@chicknfeet: I think the side missions with villains are, not so much the riddler trophies.. But I'm sure collectionist type people enjoy those.

Really like the combat challenge rooms too.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#663 chicknfeet

@MethodManFTW: I'm guessing i've finished all of the side stuff with villains. Wait...no. I've not found Deadshot yet. Guess that will be the last one i'll worry about on the game.

Gotta find my copy of Uncharted and play that next...or Diablo 3 with @Dracula68

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#664  Edited By Dracula68

@chicknfeet said:

@MethodManFTW: I'm guessing i've finished all of the side stuff with villains. Wait...no. I've not found Deadshot yet. Guess that will be the last one i'll worry about on the game.

Gotta find my copy of Uncharted and play that next...or Diablo 3 with @Dracula68

Ready when you are. I'm just busting through DA: Origins DLC right now. Some of it is really short. I am leaving Awakenings for last since I assume that will be the biggest. Got so many free PS3 games I just received to choose from plus what I already owned. I am overloaded!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#665  Edited By branketra

Many PS4 game review threads in Games Discussion were recently locked without explanation. There is little I can do to discuss this situation because an "ask the mods" forum is not apparent and GameSpot mobile is limited in comparison to the full site. I do not see the feature to PM moderators on it. Making a thread about them is sure to result in it being locked as well because that is how GameSpot operates.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#666 The_Last_Ride

Man, 16 more days until i get my freaking PS4

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#667 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@BranKetra said:

Many PS4 game review threads in Games Discussion were recently locked without explanation. There is little I can do to discuss this situation because an "ask the mods" forum is not apparent and GameSpot mobile is limited in comparison to the full site. I do not see the feature to PM moderators on it. Making a thread about them is sure to result in it being locked as well because that is how GameSpot operates.

I left a note in at least one of them. Didn't see the need for every review to get its own thread. That's just needlessly flooding the board.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#668 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:
@BranKetra said:

I left a note in at least one of them. Didn't see the need for every review to get its own thread. That's just needlessly flooding the board.

One of them got locked for a good reason though. Someone posted an actual gif of a man being executed and I'm not talking about in a videogame, I'm talking about real-life death. That was stupid, insane, and psychotic of any poster to do and it should be banned ASAP. That crap DOES NOT need to be on a board like this and it's even more appalling that it took about an hour for a mod to respond after the fact (in fact, I sent out a message to all the moderators alerting them to this).

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#669  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Metamania said:
@c_rakestraw said:
@BranKetra said:

One of them got locked for a good reason though. Someone posted an actual gif of a man being executed and I'm not talking about in a videogame, I'm talking about real-life death. That was stupid, insane, and psychotic of any poster to do and it should be banned ASAP. That crap DOES NOT need to be on a board like this and it's even more appalling that it took about an hour for a mod to respond after the fact (in fact, I sent out a message to all the moderators alerting them to this).

Yeah... sorry for not being around to take care of that sooner. I was up late last night catching up on work, so I ended up sleeping in today. Been meaning to get up earlier so I can take out the usual droves of spam quicker.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#670 The_Last_Ride

i was kind of shocked it got to be there for quite a while. Not blaming you, but those things should be taken care of

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#671  Edited By Jacanuk

@Metamania said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@BranKetra said:

Oh, that was why you guys wanted him banned, but ya that is a pretty sick twisted thing to do and not even funny in the slightest.

But there defentialy needs to be more moderators, the current amount is clearly not enough when that gif could be there for that long. Also when its pretty much a volunteer position they need to spread the load out on more people so it isent just C_Rake.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#672 Metamania

@The_Last_Ride said:

i was kind of shocked it got to be there for quite a while. Not blaming you, but those things should be taken care of

I'm not blaming C_Rake either, but the fact is, there should be a ton of other mods that should be seeing what's going on and take care of it ASAP. It doesn't necessarily have to be C_Rake, but I'm sure someone is always on at some point.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#673  Edited By contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Really starting to seem as if these forums are dying out. Haven't seen Mirko in a longer period than usual, Grammaton left obviously and Jbul is hardly here and Lucky Krystal is absent and so on. Topics used to flood in a matter of no time especially for next gen stuff but not anymore. I can't help but wonder where everyone is going.

Would be nice if others let us know so maybe we could all keep in contact or join other possible forums if this one is not going to suffice.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#674  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I'm not blaming C_Rake either, but the fact is, there should be a ton of other mods that should be seeing what's going on and take care of it ASAP. It doesn't necessarily have to be C_Rake, but I'm sure someone is always on at some point.

i think you should get some other mods to help you out c-rake. Because you are the only one on this board

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#675 Metamania

@Dracula68 You're not the only one man. I've been listening to their last new album recently, Vol. 1, and it's amazing, so I'm stoked about the second album, needless to say!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#676 Metamania

I received confirmation from Gamestop and they informed me that my PS4 has been shipped. Now it's only a matter of time. :)

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#677  Edited By Dracula68

@Metamania said:

@Dracula68 You're not the only one man. I've been listening to their last new album recently, Vol. 1, and it's amazing, so I'm stoked about the second album, needless to say!

I pretty stoked. 5 more long days to go!

@Metamania said:

I received confirmation from Gamestop and they informed me that my PS4 has been shipped. Now it's only a matter of time. :)

Hopefully all of you enjoy it! First time in my life I am not grabbing consoles on launch. Too many games for PS3, PS2 and even PSX do I have. Though I did upgrade my phat PS3 BC unit to a Slim last December so I am SOOL when it comes to the PS2 and PSX games now.....

I'll get a PS4 in a few years I'm sure and hopefully be the beneficiary of an awesome Black Friday bundle deal.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#678  Edited By The_Last_Ride

You lucky son of a guns in the us

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#679 Metamania

It's currently out for delivery in my area, so it's just a matter of time. Have no idea what I want to play first though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#680  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

It's currently out for delivery in my area, so it's just a matter of time. Have no idea what I want to play first though.

I know what i am playing through. Are you guys going to stream?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#681  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

So I can finally post again. I flagged a bunch of spam posts a few days ago, and something got messed up with the (ill advised and all around terrible idea) karma system. The posts were all deleted, but the karma I got from flagging them was not removed. So I was essentially banned for the last several days for trying to be helpful. Not an encouraging experience. Thanks to C_rake for actually responding to me, I tried PMing an admin as well and got completely ignored. (wonderful customer service right there) My enthusiasm is considerably dulled overall right now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#682  Edited By Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

So I can finally post again. I flagged a bunch of spam posts a few days ago, and something got messed up with the (ill advised and all around terrible idea) karma system. The posts were all deleted, but the karma I got from flagging them was not removed. So I was essentially banned for the last several days for trying to be helpful. Not an encouraging experience. Thanks to C_rake for actually responding to me, I tried PMing an admin as well and got completely ignored. (wonderful customer service right there) My enthusiasm is considerably dulled overall right now.

It´s almost like Gamespot is trying to kill of the forums because all the spambots are really bad , i don't recall it being that bad on the old forum.

But they need to find someone in eu because that seems to be when the bots are here the longest.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#683  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

That should not happen at all... Why the f*** do they even do that. They should give us karma if the thread flagged hasn't anything wrong with it. It's stupid as it is right now. I have probably also been close to being banned because i reported so many threads and users

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#684 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Randolph said:

I thought it sounded like a good idea when the admins introduced us to the karma system (seemed like a good idea to keep the abusive reports and trouble makers at bay). But after this, I'm not so sure. It backfiring like this is just frustrating.

@The_Last_Ride said:

That should not happen at all... Why the f*** do they even do that. They should give us karma if the thread flagged hasn't anything wrong with it. It's stupid as it is right now. I have probably also been close to being banned because i reported so many threads and users

You've still got a ways. You've only got six karma points.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#685 The_Last_Ride

@c_rakestraw said:
@Randolph said:

I thought it sounded like a good idea when the admins introduced us to the karma system (seemed like a good idea to keep the abusive reports and trouble makers at bay). But after this, I'm not so sure. It backfiring like this is just frustrating.

@The_Last_Ride said:

You've still got a ways. You've only got six karma points.

WHAT?! Seriously? I have only reported ad and spam threads.. Jesus...

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#686  Edited By Dracula68

@c_rakestraw said:
@Randolph said:

Sounds like this will make people NOT report things at all and why you got more problems overall with spam and whatnot.....

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#687 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

In practice it certainly has gone horribly wrong..Randolph got hit by another bug on top of the general karma system flaws unfortunately, otherwise he'd have been back and able to post shortly after c_rake noticed. The concept of +1 per flag and then -1 when it's acted on seems sound, but with such a low cap (10+ = forum banned) compared to the sheer amount of spam/adbots GS gets, and then the bug of it not always reducing the karma by 1 for the reporter when the report is acted upon kinda breaks things. Sure we can (well, normally we can) manually correct karma to deal with it, but the system should be robust enough to not require something like that if it has the ability to temporarily (and silently) ban users from forum activity. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if it was the -1 karma per day part that wasn't working. Something should probably be done about the cap, and the -1 when a report is acted on rather than ignored needs to work reliably too. I don't think it needs scrapping altogether or anything though, it's just a flawed implementation atm.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#688  Edited By Dracula68

@robbristow said:

In practice it certainly has gone horribly wrong..Randolph got hit by another bug on top of the general karma system flaws unfortunately, otherwise he'd have been back and able to post shortly after c_rake noticed. The concept of +1 per flag and then -1 when it's acted on seems sound, but with such a low cap (10+ = forum banned) compared to the sheer amount of spam/adbots GS gets, and then the bug of it not always reducing the karma by 1 for the reporter when the report is acted upon kinda breaks things. Sure we can (well, normally we can) manually correct karma to deal with it, but the system should be robust enough to not require something like that if it has the ability to temporarily (and silently) ban users from forum activity. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if it was the -1 karma per day part that wasn't working. Something should probably be done about the cap, and the -1 when a report is acted on rather than ignored needs to work reliably too. I don't think it needs scrapping altogether or anything though, it's just a flawed implementation atm.

Honestly I know I am speaking from being gone about a year and a half but ONLY 2 names come to mind that abused the system with too many/harmless reports and they were always dealt with accordingly so why start this whole new karma system over 2 people(unless the Mods found it happened at least by 100 or more people in that year and a half I was gone)?

This reeks of something the "higher ups" came up with that do NOT post on the forums themselves. You need to be involved in a community if you are going to create systems/rules....period!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#689  Edited By MethodManFTW

mods smell bad and can't read good.

:P

seriously though, might as well rename this the complain about mods/admin thread.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#690  Edited By Randolph

@MethodManFTW said:

mods smell bad and can't read good.

:P

seriously though, might as well rename this the complain about mods/admin thread.

Or the complain about people complaining about the mods and admins thread. :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#691 The_Last_Ride

I am going to stop flagging these spamming topics from now on, i can't risk more karm points. This is great gamespot

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#692  Edited By Jacanuk
@The_Last_Ride said:

I am going to stop flagging these spamming topics from now on, i can't risk more karm points. This is great gamespot

I dont know if its just me but i can't believe how poor the new forums are and this isn't just a case of new being new and old being what you're used to.

Site is slower than i don't know what and sometimes it just doesn't load or come up with a 404 or 500 error, karma points who block the good people and not the bad, and a lack of moderators and forums that seem deserted.

I sure hope the big guys who decided on this design is happy.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#693 branketra

>Sees spam

>Reports spam

>Gets banned temporarily for making GameSpot a better place

Unbelievable

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#694  Edited By chicknfeet

@Jacanuk: Trust that you all aren't the only ones frustrated with the things going on. I am trying to be patient with the new changes just because i know what it's like migrating to a whole new platform. But it just seems like all too much going on for the admin team to handle. Definitely seems like decisions being made from the folks who don't spend any time in the forums.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#695  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator

@The_Last_Ride: I can still reset your karma (in fact, I just did). Randolph ran into a strange situation where I nor the rest of the team could access the tools associated with karma points. So far it looks like an isolated incident. It seems resolved now, at any rate, so... hopefully no one else will run into similar issues.

In the meantime, please -- keep reporting. The transitional period is always the toughest. We're still in the process of learning all this ourselves. I'm sure things will get better in time. Just bear with us.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#696  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@Dracula68 said:

@robbristow said:

Honestly I know I am speaking from being gone about a year and a half but ONLY 2 names come to mind that abused the system with too many/harmless reports and they were always dealt with accordingly so why start this whole new karma system over 2 people(unless the Mods found it happened at least by 100 or more people in that year and a half I was gone)?

This reeks of something the "higher ups" came up with that do NOT post on the forums themselves. You need to be involved in a community if you are going to create systems/rules....period!

You'd be right on it being the higher ups/staff members applying it and the mods not knowing about it until after it was already implemented, unfortunately we're still stuck with it either way, at least for the time being why they stabilise the rest of the site and sort out all the high-priority missing features. The entire back-end mod system has changed too, so we've had to get used to that as well.

On the upside, the isolated issue with Randolph's account has been dealt with now it seems so aside from the karma system flaw that can be easily manually corrected by any moderator, it should be fine now. If they're going to keep the karma system they really need to ensure that it actually removes karma when the report is acted on though, otherwise it does encourage people not to flag/report them, which doesn't help anyone.

Personally, I'd have preferred that the entire new site had stayed in beta for longer, to avoid features being lost while they reimplement them, as well as weeding out the widespread bugs prior to actual release.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#697 The_Last_Ride

@c_rakestraw said:

@The_Last_Ride: I can still reset your karma (in fact, I just did). Randolph ran into a strange situation where I nor the rest of the team could access the tools associated with karma points. So far it looks like an isolated incident. It seems resolved now, at any rate, so... hopefully no one else will run into similar issues.

In the meantime, please -- keep reporting. The transitional period is always the toughest. We're still in the process of learning all this ourselves. I'm sure things will get better in time. Just bear with us.

I can't freaking risk getting banned reporting all those spam threads. It's a stupid system. Why didn't they ask the users in the beta or even before that?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#698  Edited By Randolph

@c_rakestraw said:

I reported six spam posts that had been left up over 12 hours each yesterday about 5PM EST and got karma banned again before you reset it for me eight hours ago. If a fix has been implemented since later than 5PM EST yesterday, then that's great. Otherwise, it is not fixed just yet, because that was far less than the ten karma threshold. They need to reverse the system so that everyone starts out with ten karma, and each flag takes one karma from both the reporter and reported. Action being taken should restore the karma for the reporter, AND (this is important) add one good karma.

That way people who send good flags on a regular basis to alert the volunteer mods of a problem can have a little more wiggle room to work with. Just my two cents.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#699 Randolph

@chicknfeet said:

@Jacanuk: Trust that you all aren't the only ones frustrated with the things going on. I am trying to be patient with the new changes just because i know what it's like migrating to a whole new platform. But it just seems like all too much going on for the admin team to handle. Definitely seems like decisions being made from the folks who don't spend any time in the forums.

Pretty much anyone on GS staff would fall under that category of "people who don't even use the forums making decisions about how the forums should be run". Too busy posting on Neogaf for us common folk. Except for this @edgework fellow. He's a stand up guy and very responsive and active on fixing things that are not working right.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#700  Edited By Dracula68

@robbristow said:

Personally, I'd have preferred that the entire new site had stayed in beta for longer, to avoid features being lost while they reimplement them, as well as weeding out the widespread bugs prior to actual release.

Yeah, in a perfect world that would be great but they wanna roll out new things as fast as humanely possible and sadly that means not much testing. Supposedly certain people and Mods had about a 30-45 day window to report things but my guess is either most didn't report anything at all or nobody fixed anything that was reported.

This place is a shell of what it once was and why you will only see me post right here. I keep this thread bookmarked so I don't have to see the mess the forums are now.